FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Do You Speak?

+4
Tsche
Thunder Daddy
Lara
LunarScorpio
8 posters

Go down

What Do You Speak? Empty What Do You Speak?

Post by LunarScorpio Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:35 pm

I’m going to be going into my third semester of French this fall. It got me to thinking, “I wonder what languages other people know.” So, what are they? Not only what are they, but why did you get into that particular language(s)? Does your family speak it, was it required for school, did it just sound cool?

Well, firstly I speak English. It’s my native language. Secondly I speak French, which has probably become apparent from the last few days of me talking about it, lol. I first started taking French in my freshman year of high school. I took French 1 & 2 there because I just loved the way it sounded and it seemed easy enough. After I graduated, I took French 1 & 2 again at my community college and now next semester and the semester after that I’ll be taking French 3 & 4. I’m not taking French just because it’s a requirement, but it comes kind of naturally to me. It’s easier to me than Spanish (I took a year of Spanish in the 7th grade and then again one semester in college and nearly failed both time).

I would like to learn Japanese one of these days too. I’m into anime and the Japanese culture is interesting to me. Also, my fiancé, TJ, wants to go to Japan one day, so it would probably be good to know the language at least a little, hehe.
LunarScorpio
LunarScorpio
Shadow
Shadow

Female

http://felsphotos.com

Back to top Go down

What Do You Speak? Empty Re: What Do You Speak?

Post by Lara Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:41 pm

I speak English, since I was born and raised in the United States. :p Sometimes I wish I wasn't, 'cause man, the US is seriously behind on this foreign language business. Everyone else in the world knows their native language and English!

Aside from that, I know a decent amount of Italian, though it's started to fade since the last time I took it for a class was almost four years ago. I took it for four years, and would have continued if I hadn't disliked the teacher so much (and if I had had room in my schedule). The reason I started taking it was because we were required to take a second language class in middle school, as well as at least two years of it in high school, and I didn't want to learn Spanish or French. >.> (Actually, I took it because my grandparents are Italian, and I thought it'd be awesome if I could converse with her in the language. But even after taking the class I couldn't, since she speaks a dialect of Italian.) I'm much better at reading/understanding it than I am at speaking or writing.

I can also sign the alphabet, if that counts. I want to learn sign language sooo badly, but the only chance I've had to do so was back in third grade, when my teacher's wife came in with her deaf friend once a week and showed us how to sign things.

I also want to take more Italian classes, or actually be able to sit through the CD lessons I have. I'd absolutely love to become fluent, or close to it, and I want to study abroad in Italy as a way of making that happen.
Lara
Lara
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by LunarScorpio Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:52 pm

I actually thought about taking Italian when I was in high school. Actually I was going to take Japanese too, but I ended up going half day college instead to get a head. But Italian is my favorite food and I wanted to go to Italy when I was younger. I would still like to one day. I heard those Rosetta Stone CDs are really good, but they’re sooo expensive! Maybe when I get some money I’ll pick them up and start learning other languages.
LunarScorpio
LunarScorpio
Shadow
Shadow

Female

http://felsphotos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Thunder Daddy Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:01 pm

I speak Mandarin and English, I also know a little Spanish from high school.
Thunder Daddy
Thunder Daddy
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsche Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:03 pm

Spanish as my native language, English, a little of French and Japanese. Heheh, what can i say? I love talking in different languages!
Tsche
Tsche
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:15 pm

English. cheers
I also know pequeño Mexican Spanish. I would need a refresher course, because I've never used the two years of it I took. Laughing Immersion is the trick, if you want to learn the language.

I know quite a bit of Tolkien's elvish, as well. It's too bad there's just not enough of it to speak it. You can only say cool things like, "Nin o Chithaeglir, lasto beth daer. Rimmon nin Bruinen lasto beth ulaer!" and, "Lasto beth nin. Tolo dan na ngalad!" (and that wasn't just copy and pasting Very Happy ) It really is a language suited to fantasy adventures. ^_^

I'm actually creating my own languages. And I have the opportunity here at FOG to share and develop them along with other role-players. Such fun! xD
Maybe someday I'll be able to speak my own languages, instead of real-life ones. Muhaha
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunni Ookami Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:54 pm

Kalon Ordona II wrote:
I'm actually creating my own languages. And I have the opportunity here at FOG to share and develop them along with other role-players. Such fun! xD
Maybe someday I'll be able to speak my own languages, instead of real-life ones. Muhaha

Me, too! Me, too!

I am seriously making up my own language. I've got a complete alphabet and some grammar stuffs, but I haven't found the time to think any past than that.

Real Languages:

Enlgish is the only one I know fully. And then I know a little Japanese and BARELY anymore French. Im gun try to relearn them both.
Sunni Ookami
Sunni Ookami
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragter the junior greeter Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:21 pm

The only language I know best is English, with my Spanish...well, sucking, despite taking classes of it in high school.

The only stuff I remember is like...cat, car, the colors, most of the numbers, just really basic stuff.
Ragter the junior greeter
Ghost
Ghost

Male

http://www.google.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:08 am

Sunni Ookami wrote:
Kalon Ordona II wrote:

Me, too! Me, too!

I am seriously making up my own language. I've got a complete alphabet and some grammar stuffs, but I haven't found the time to think any past than that.
Hug

Let's take over the world!!
Muhaha
*sends PM*
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragter the junior greeter Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:43 pm

Pah...English will pwn your plans!
Ghost
Ghost

Male

http://www.google.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadpan Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:25 pm

English, Spanish, a little bit of French.
Deadpan
Deadpan
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down