FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your First Job?

+10
Reffy
Renji
Sighlent
Thunder Daddy
Gunneh
Squall Reyes
Kathryn Lacey
Lara
Kaito
Fate Flyer
14 posters

Go down

Your First Job? Empty Your First Job?

Post by Fate Flyer Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:00 am

What was the first job you ever had (excluding babysitting or watching pets for neighbors)?

My first job was working part-time at a dog kennel (a place where people would take their pets if they were gone or going on vacation) about a mile away from my parent's house for a family we were friends with. I went to school and was friends with my boss's daughter. I started working there when I was 17. My job title was a dog walker, but I also exercised the dogs, fed the animals (dogs and cats), cleaned the kennels, vacuumed, mopped, kept up the play yard (a fenced-in area in the back for the dogs to run around who didn't get walks), and did laundry.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★

Female

http://trynethetimetraveler.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Your First Job? Empty Re: Your First Job?

Post by Kaito Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:17 am

If you can call being in the army a job, then it was my first one. If not, right now I'm working as C# developer until uni starts in winter.

What is there to say about it... I sit in front of a computer and type lots of code, make bugs, fix them again, etc etc. One good thing is that even in that small time I'm working here, I'm going through a whole production cycle of a project. Started there when it was still early, and right now it's version 1 almost finished. I'm the only active developer anymore, since the other one who had worked with me on it now does his exam project for uni. I must say I find it extremely hard to work for 8 hours each day, especially since I have to be focused and concentrated all the while.

greetings
Kaito
Kaito
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:38 pm

My first job is my current job. I work at a local crab shack, where I pretty much do everything except cook.

I take orders, work the cash register, bring the orders out when they're ready... I restock drinks and whatever else gets low, I answer the phone... I clean massive amounts of dishes if I get one part of the closing shift, and if I get the other, I sweep/mop/drag mats around/wipe down everything that doesn't go into the sink.

I enjoy almost all of it (the dishes wear on my nerves after we hit the hour mark...).
Lara
Lara
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:54 pm

I am currently involved with my first job. I work part time in a grocery store. I started out bagging groceries and retrieving carts, but now I mostly work the register. Once every few months I may be scheduled to work courtesy, though.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:01 pm

Dear lord first job...Hmmm. When I was 10 I worked at a small Mexican restaurant in East L.A after school. It was during one of the harder financial times for my family. I mopped and swept the floor. 25 dollars a day. As a kid I thought I was making big money. lol It was under the table pay of course. Um but my first legal job was when I was when 16 and worked at my friend's dads Christmas tree farm. He planted, grew, sawed down, and sold fresh Christmas trees from his lot. Lots of good fun hard manual labor for a 16 year old. Very Happy Sadly both businesses are no longer around. Sad
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunneh Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:22 pm

I worked as a cook in a local Captain D's Seafood Kitchen. You talk about one ripe smell on my clothes after work, just imagine grease AND fish at the same time. It was a pretty rank odor lol.

After that there was Wal-Mart, then The ETSU and General Shale Natural History Museum where I was a tour guide (best job EVER) and then Hardee's for a brief stint. Thinking on going back to WallyWorld, actually.
Gunneh
Gunneh
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaito Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:14 pm

@Squall: lol! 25 dollars a day. I made less in the army. ;P
(although admittedly, I got paid for weekends, too, even if I didn't have duty, then. And a free bed and meal each day. But you can't call it deluxe...)

@Gunneh: Wow! Being a tour guide sounds like a lot of fun. Working with people is always more fun than doing anything else.. (like typing into a computer .. ;/ ) Also, you can always tell them (or experience) stories and whatnot, I bet it doesn't get boring often. I'd love to do that for a while, too.
Kaito
Kaito
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunneh Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:18 pm

It was quite epic. Also, I loved walking in there and learning something new everyday. And it was always a big thing whenever the archeaologists - who worked just outside the back door almost year around - found something new. I was just waiting to see a Gompothere tusk come in one day, and then I was going to flip out.

Gompothere = really big elephant. Ours was WAY bigger than an adult sized (about 14 feet compared to about 9 on average) and he was only a baby.
Gunneh
Gunneh
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:02 pm

@Kaito Yeah like I said I thought I was making good money, till it hit me I'd only work 2-3 a week and then food and bills. All my money went to my parents so we wouldn't be kicked out on our asses. XD
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thunder Daddy Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:43 pm

Used to work at this electronic factory that had me look for defective parts.

Then I moved on to an online bookstore that laid me off on my birthday. Seriously.

Now I work part time night shift at a hotel. I also sell knives.
Thunder Daddy
Thunder Daddy
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sighlent Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:31 am

Ok my first job is probably the most unconventional job ever...

Um, I used to help my mom sell and make dreamcatchers...yes like the Indians. We had a contract with some boutique called Alma's and they would compile requests from customers give them to us and we'd make them. I started when I was 13 and until the contract was terminated, due to lack of business, and Alma's closed (damn economy) I continued to make them. Haven't made any in about three years (stopped after I graduated High School).

Some would say that this technically constitutes as hobby but I got paid for it, so I consider it my first job. ^_^
Sighlent
Sighlent
Ghost
Ghost

Female

http://jennibou.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:54 am

I think the dream catcher job counts. That's actually a really awesome job, too.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sighlent Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:12 am

Yes it was! I'll have to take some pictures of the one's we kept and let you guys see. ^_^

Hm... -runs off real quick to grab her camera-
Sighlent
Sighlent
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sighlent Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:28 am

Ok so they're hanging pretty high up on our walls and they're a bitch to dust - hence why there is so much on them!

The sketch on the leather in the middle was hand drawn by my mom:
Your First Job? Jens001-1

I made this one! Funny thing was I was thinking about Hera when I did it lol:
Your First Job? Jens002

Another mommy made:
Your First Job? Jens003
Sighlent
Sighlent
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:40 am

My favorite is the second one. It's beautiful. I want a dream catcher... I actually believe they work, too.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sighlent Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:41 am

Tee-hee. I like it because I made it! ^_^
Sighlent
Sighlent
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:46 am

I like it because it's colourful, and- no offense to your mom- but it looks like it's the best quality. I also love peacocks. They're lovely.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sighlent Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:03 am

Believe me my mom has made way better.

They all got sold though... Sad She actually has one that is really gorgeous I'll have to get a picture of it the next time I see her. It was woven in a set of deer antlers. It's my favorite one she's ever made.
Sighlent
Sighlent
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Renji Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:15 am

First Job: Medicine Counter Assistant. (which is still my current job)

Heh, this will be my 3rd year working there.

EDIT:

Holy Crap Si, you made that O_O

Want some more peacock feathers? I have more than you can shake a rain maker at. xD

And wow people have really interesting jobs, makes mine seem lame. DX
Renji
Renji
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:44 am

Um... Mine is actually lame in comparison to others' jobs, too, so don't worry about it.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sighlent Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:28 am

Lamo...smamo. What really counts is the multitudes of fun stuff you're technically not supposed to be doing while on the job.

For instance, I used to work at a grocery store. For some God unknown reason we lost complete power on a bright sunny day. So we closed up and had to take ALL of the buggies that were lining our aisles and put them, and all of the contents, away. It's where I met my husband and whenever we first started talking about dating so it was really cool and I got to run around with him and all our friends. Anyway...he was trying to show off on the WINE aisle and threw this little toy...it hit one of the wine shelves knocking off almost all of the bottles and you can guess what happened after. We claimed it was a accident. And blamed it on the dark. Lol.

Same exact day him and I were getting plastic covers from receiving to cover the colds that weren't behind glass, he was ahead pulling the obscenely large sheet and I was behind picking up the tail and well I stepped on a piece that was dragging the ground...he kept on walking...my feet got jerked out from under me and initially my ass was more bruised than when I ice skate. Even funnier he was too busy laughing at me he failed to notice the open door before him and ran smack dab into it. Lol.

Ah...memories. ^_^
Sighlent
Sighlent
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Reffy Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:04 pm

1st job was working in a pub! ... OK ... so it wasn't all that exciting. I was only 15 at the time. I was cleaning it before opening hours. It was still pretty awesome though. For 4 hours it got me 15GBP (pounds - English born and bred) It included polishing tables, vacuuming, restocking, mopping. The usual.

Best job, I had at a young age, was probably working in the fast-food Chinese joint. Would help cut up veggies and wash the Woks. Saw how they cooked and learned a lot! Fetched me around 20GBP a night. Ended up with my trousers wrecked though, since I'd always wipe my hands on them. Best bit, I always got free food (and even got to cook it myself) at the end of the night Laughing

Reffy
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

http://awritersrecluse.proboards.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:00 am

Ugh, my first job was working at the Photo development department at Rite Aid.

That which has been seen... cannot be UN-seen.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hello Danger Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:34 am

My first job sucked! (dish washer!)

My current job sucks! (ass kisser!)
Hello Danger
Hello Danger
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mezrin Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:09 am

My current and only job would be illegal (no worker's permit), which is design/construction around the neighborhood with fees depending on what I'm asked to design and/or build. It's all hush-hush, family doesn't want me to have a job because I screwed up in school last year (I failed my first class ever).
Mezrin
Mezrin
Shadow
Shadow

Male

http://manticoreproductions.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel White Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:09 am

My very first "real" job that I had ever had was as a net-weaver for a fishing boat back when I was 14, and living in Florida with my Uncle. The job in question was acquired through my uncle, actually, as he had a friend who had a small business selling fish at market during the summer season.

I was paid 3.50 an hour and worked roughly 4 hours a day repairing my uncles' friend fishing nets. The work itself was rather tiresome, but one outstanding perk of the job was being able to work on the docks and soak up the sun, smell the salty sea air, and see all sorts of lively and colorful folk do their business.

In comparison to my job now--which I do love--it was significantly more boisterous and engrossing than assembling portfolios for uptight, snooty, pretentious clothing designers.
Angel White
Angel White
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by LunarScorpio Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:51 am

The first job I had was in the…ninth grade, I think? Anyway, it was at the local YMCA at the front desk. I answered phones, set up appointments, booked parties, signed up new members. And in general it was pretty good. Over the year that I worked there, I picked up another job in child watch, where we watched children (duh). Then I picked up an office assistant job, and then a lifeguarding job. Yes, all at the same Y. I worked every position there except for ex-tech (exercise technician) and damn it I was good, lol. So, I guess you could say the YMCA in its entirety was my first job, lol.
LunarScorpio
LunarScorpio
Shadow
Shadow

Female

http://felsphotos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum