FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random idea (calling all old members of FoG!)

+8
Blackrock
Guilty Carrion
Ruu
Tartra
Gadreille
Spectre
Digital Muse
Sunwolf007
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Random idea (calling all old members of FoG!) Empty Random idea (calling all old members of FoG!)

Post by Sunwolf007 Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:55 pm

I remember a conversation that I had a while back in the FoG chatroom. The question was what an RP with all the great RPers of FoG in it would look like. After discussing I realized that I hadn't RPed with more than half the people on the list. This idea has been floating around in my brain since then and I couldn't let it go, so I figured I would post an interest topic to see what happened. I was thinking it would be a short RP (something like 1 or 2 pages after everyone posted) so that once we are done with it we could use it as something to promote the website. Something that kind of screams 'look at how awesome we are and you could join us if you want!' Plus it would fulfill one of our dreams when we actually complete an RP.

Basically my plan is this:
First step is to get a group of interested FoG Rpers that would make the project viable. Somewhere between 4 or 5 members including myself.
Second step would be to build the RP from the ground up by picking which themes and genres we would like to have in it. This is a group project so be ready to compromise.
Third step would be to pick a plot line that would be short that everyone could have fun with.
Fourth step would be to make characters based on a character sheet that was made while building the RP.
Fifth step would be to run the RP and have fun with it.

I know this is a very basic and somewhat vague interest topic but I think the idea has a lot of potential so I want to hear what you guys think.
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Location : Greater Grand Rapids area, US of A ( last time I checked)

Back to top Go down

Random idea (calling all old members of FoG!) Empty Re: Random idea (calling all old members of FoG!)

Post by Digital Muse Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:28 pm

I love this idea, but it boils down to who you invite and then, how many of those pople have the time and desire to jump in.
Digital Muse
Digital Muse
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Random idea (calling all old members of FoG!) Empty Re: Random idea (calling all old members of FoG!)

Post by Spectre Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:52 pm

Sounds a lot like the Emoria thread, as well as my own wish for the same thing in my 'Storm of Ajora' roleplay that will be a long series of roleplays.

I'm all in.
Spectre
Spectre
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunwolf007 Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:53 pm

I am thinking we will get enough support so if you all could post a list of genres that you are willing to play. That way we can move beyond the first step.
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:03 pm

I would be honored to be a part of this. My strongest suit is fantasy, but I would be willing to try anything except for a fan fiction of which I am unfamiliar.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:06 pm

I would like to put forward my tentative interest... subject to change based on workload. Obviously my strongsuit is fantasy, but I'm open to ideas.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:26 pm

I will mention that I've been itching to try a historical fiction or steampunk role play, but I'm not sure how well received either of those will be.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:28 pm

Steampunk seems pretty popular, but I wouldn't mind historical fiction Wink Either one of those would work pretty well as an advertisement, I think. Steampunk is very popular, and would certainly draw attention if done well. And historical fiction, if done right and accurately, would show the skill of our role-play community.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tartra Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:11 pm

This is a nice idea and I wish you all the best with it. The question I have is how it'll be used in promoting. It'll certainly be a solid showcase, but where is it going to be shown? How long would it take? Would there be others written in different genres?

The site's maybe about 30 strong these days. I've been meaning to ask if we could look into getting new blood. This'd be great to have, but do you think we could come up with specifics to go with it? Would this get stickied/given its own section as a big 'Welcome to FoG' or 'FoG at a Glance' package? Because I think the 'Post Your Favourite Lines' thread definitely offers highlights, and that's ready to go while we wait for this to play out!

Edit: Maybe on top of this, there can be a full community role play. I have no idea how the logistics would work off the top of my head, but if it was something where everyone active user puts in a post, newcomers could see who writes in what way. It'd be an easy meet-and-greet where newbies saw exactly what the forum offers and could post their addition so we can see (and we'd have to be clear to say 'see', not 'judge') what they bring. It might make it faster to match up writing styles and - who knows? It could be a fun mini-initiation. Smile (And since the FoG home style RP is Caligo, which I've never gotten into, we could make the community thing directly related to that. It could be a simple plot of a person actually arriving to the forum in an IC way rather than a casual OOC hello in the Greetings thread. And then everyone will have their link to some team spirit.)
Tartra
Tartra
Apparition
Apparition

Female

http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2851668/1/The_Other_Kind_of_Roomma

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:32 pm

Tartra wrote:This is a nice idea and I wish you all the best with it. The question I have is how it'll be used in promoting. It'll certainly be a solid showcase, but where is it going to be shown? How long would it take? Would there be others written in different genres?

The site's maybe about 30 strong these days. I've been meaning to ask if we could look into getting new blood. This'd be great to have, but do you think we could come up with specifics to go with it? Would this get stickied/given its own section as a big 'Welcome to FoG' or 'FoG at a Glance' package? Because I think the 'Post Your Favourite Lines' thread definitely offers highlights, and that's ready to go while we wait for this to play out!

Edit: Maybe on top of this, there can be a full community role play. I have no idea how the logistics would work off the top of my head, but if it was something where everyone active user puts in a post, newcomers could see who writes in what way. It'd be an easy meet-and-greet where newbies saw exactly what the forum offers and could post their addition so we can see (and we'd have to be clear to say 'see', not 'judge') what they bring. It might make it faster to match up writing styles and - who knows? It could be a fun mini-initiation. Smile (And since the FoG home style RP is Caligo, which I've never gotten into, we could make the community thing directly related to that. It could be a simple plot of a person actually arriving to the forum in an IC way rather than a casual OOC hello in the Greetings thread. And then everyone will have their link to some team spirit.)

Tartra, I am going to put your post in the Staff Discussion Forum; I think you have some really good questions and really awesome ideas.

I know that at the very least, this thread when finished would go into the finished role play section, which will in itself stand out. It could also be posted on the FOG writer's cafe (which so far hasn't done anything) and perhaps even used as an example when asking people if they would like to join.

The mass-intro RP sounds awesome, and having a caligo character is a perfect excuse to do it Smile

Edit: Also, you might want to just post up the mass-intro RP idea yourself so that you can get everyone's take on it, not just the staff's Very Happy

Last edited by Gadreille on Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Digital Muse Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:32 pm

My favorite is Steam or Diesel Punk (you could throw in elements of fantasy such as in The Legend of Korra). Following those two, I like modern fantasy the best, provided the fantasy part is kept within the bounds of 'this just might work'.

Otherwise, if we stay out of fan fiction or romance or school RPs, I'm good with anything.

Digital Muse
Digital Muse
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruu Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:34 pm

~I'd be interested as well. My favorite genres are sci-fi and fantasy.
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guilty Carrion Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:03 pm

Shock and awe, it's GC. And I can already hear the collective groans of "This guy?! He's in eighty RPs already!" Well, yes, I am. But excess in excess is a beautiful thing, so might as well offer a little help in the creation process. I'll make a decision when things solidify if I've got the time to truely commit. Reasonable, eh?

Topics at hand...I've got an unheeded itch for Steampunk that's never been scratched, but I'm generally good in most genres, I believe. I wouldn't be entirely opposed to gritty realistic stuff in any setting either.

Last edited by Guilty Carrion on Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Guilty Carrion
Guilty Carrion
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectre Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:44 pm

Sounds like the way that Emoria started.

Seems like everyone has a lean toward steampunk.
I myself am not a fan of the genre, to be honest. The closest to steampunk I've ever liked was Final Fantasy VII ish. which is closer to sci fi really.

I prefer sci-fi, and low-ish fantasy. If it's historical fiction, i've been itching for a western late 1800's or close to 1900's. . . ?

Also horror genres not involving typical zombies are something i've had growing interest in as of late. Maybe something like 30 days of night, 28 days later, or something completely different. Maybe something modern, but like the Men In Black series [yes, like the movies] only more scary and dark? Iunno. fuzzy here.

what about a dark and realistic vigilante 'masked super-hero' type? A-La Kick-Ass? Or something a little more fantastic, adding muted 'superpowers'. Something i read about recently has had me thinking lately....

modern day sci-fi fantasy with no transportation or weapon machinery [no weapons that fire 'shot' or bullets]- just medieval style stuff with modern day, or even futuristic architecture? [Hmm.... maybe hover-craft?] Maybe like the apocalypse happened as a cataclysm not involving any man made war or whatever- just something happened. Thousand years after the cataclysm society is rebuilding and has had rapid regrowth technologically and medicinally, but no guns, tanks, gas powered cars [horses and bovine], or anything. Maybe some weird hovercraft like the cyber-punk Matrix 'Real world' hovercraft like stuff.

I dunno. I've got a whole lot of ideas rolling around this head of mine just waiting to be spewed. Not all of them are good. Most of them aren't. but, my fingers tend to run wild here.

Spectre
Spectre
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunwolf007 Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:33 am

Just throwing this one out there because we have to different multiple vote ideas. What if we did a steampunk-western? The steampunk elements would be things like steam airships, ships, cars and trains but instead of the traditional victorian era stuff (which I hate) we could make it a western era. So for weapons we would have revolvers and lever actions. The clothing would be all western so we have the awesome browncoats from Firefly.

If we go that route we could say that this tech developed because the world we are on has only one large continent and many islands rich in resources forcing the building of multiple steam transports to move around goods. We could even go so far as to say the main continent is all about a powerful monarchy while the islands are all independent nations trying not to be politically swallowed up by the main continent into one super country.

Random idea that I had in the shower this morning. What do you all think?
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:42 am

Love it. Throw in some minor magic use and we have a well rounded theme Smile
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectre Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:21 am

I hate steampunk because i hate victorean era anything, except top-hats, monocles, canes, and mustaches.

but You said firefly. that is one of my magic words, and it makes me all warm an fuzzy, [god rest it]. Though like that series, if we do a western- i think we should keep everything fairly low-tech as far as vehicles go- resembling trains, wagons, the like. Airships, sure, 'cuz there were still steamboats and stuff. This all makes me think of that Wild West movie with Will Smith [gag].

but i'm still very open to non- anything-punk ideas that may come along...

Spectre
Spectre
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:43 pm

So let's just lose the term steampunk and make some of our own rules in regards to technology!
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectre Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:03 pm

I'm gonna be pumping the brakes, since i'm already still in the process of creating a world of my own. I'll take a back seat to all this....

So i'm game for whatever to be honest. I'll RP but i'm not sure i want to take a big important creative role just yet.
Spectre
Spectre
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunwolf007 Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:49 pm

Maybe I wasn’t too clear since I was in a hurry this morning. Here is what I am proposing:
The world would have steam technology which powers cars, trains, airships, and ships. This tech would need to be created for some reason (I propose my island/continent idea). The culture would be influenced by western tech, things like revolvers, lever action rifles, the attire and vocabulary would also be western style with firefly browncoats and the whole shindig. Here is why I propose my island/continent idea since the decedents could have some type of evolutionary power specific to their island. This way each side would have power. The major continent would have the power of technology while the islands would have the powers of telekinesis or pyrokinesis or etc.

If everyone agrees this could be our genre. I feel it combines at least one element that everyone was listing earlier. I don’t know if that would qualify as steam-punk since I don’t read/write steam-punk but the fact that steam powers technology I think it qualifies. Then again it does combine a bit of the history element in the western tech and a bit of the fantasy element with the island abilities. Anyway that is all I am saying so what do you all think?
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:55 pm

Love it.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackrock Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:33 am

I'm coming late to the party, but here's my two cents:

So I see a lot of people are leaning towards something steampunk-ish, which I've also wanted to do for some time (I've never done such an RP before); but there is a call for fantasy as well. So...why not mix the two? I know some of you here are gamers, so I'm just gonna throw out an old, old name: Arcanum - an old-school RPG, which gave you a mix of tech/magic. Not gonna go into too much detail, but suffice to say that it was the ONLY such attempt I've seen and I played that when I was 12 or something, so the concept has definitely stuck with me. I think it's a cool way to go about it, because it gives you the best of both worlds and provides for an interesting dilemma.

Mixed genre fiction is always cool, though the traditional (if it can be called such) way to go about it is a sci-fi/fantasy hybrid, which makes for a very intriguing read, at least for me. A steampunk/fantasy mix sounds just as awesome though. There's plenty of ways to go about it, but let's say that this world where the action takes place didn't evolve at the same pace (much like our own, but in a more drastic way). Whether due to obstacles natural or not-so-natural one part is undergoing an industrial revolution, while the other is still boggled down in ye olde mages and knights society. (or some such)

Or, it could be something more wacky, like a portal between two worlds/planes of existence/timelines/whatever. The inhabitants of one could slip into the other through some means of transportation; or perhaps the apocalypse is coming and suddenly these two different worlds get merged or the boundaries between them weaken or some such. As I said, there's a multitude of ways to go about it.

Don't have much more than that currently, so tossing this rough idea out.
Blackrock
Blackrock
Apparition
Apparition

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Digital Muse Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:12 pm

Hrmmmms I quite like that last one. One world needs magic but has none. The other needs technology, but again, has little. Thus lies the conflict. Bad guys are always looking for an unfair advantage. Ta-da! Story!
Digital Muse
Digital Muse
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:35 pm

Fantasy fantasy FANTASY, Fantasy.
And... maybe some steampunk. Very Happy

That's just my personal preference anyway.
I'm LOVING Blackrock's suggestion (the non-wacky version). Nod

And here's my general proposal on this project.

15 posts per person, or maximum 200 posts, whichever comes first.
3 posts for introduction, 4 posts for rising action, 6 posts for main conflict and climax, and 2 posts for denouement. Minimum requirements at least equivalent to Advanced, if not something like 50 sentences and 5 paragraphs.

A structure like this will do 2 much-needed things for a project like this.
It will provide structure, and it will indicate progress.
If one of the main purposes is to finish a role-play, and another main purpose is to make something display-worthy and indicative of the site, we should know when we're getting to the ending. Structure will help orchestrate the masterwork, and knowing where we are at any given point will keep us on track.

One other guideline should be not to scale too grandly. I know personally I'll have trouble with this, so I'm putting it out there now. Smile

Loving this idea.
Am. So. In.
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:36 pm

Along with what kalon is saying, an outline would be most helpful. Being able to see the end will help us reach it.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Hello Danger Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:15 pm

RIP
*rolls from out of the grave*

Hi and Hello

Thank you for your consideration. I respectfully accept Smile

@sunwolf's idea -- I like the possibilities of a steampunk-western. If magic is incorporated in the theme, it would be cool to make it "dark" magic and maybe its outlawed or frowned upon by the establishment or public.

@blackrock's idea -- Very Fable-esque sounding. I like it of course.

@kalon's general proposal on this project -- I accept the terms of your surrender Wink

As far as fanning the flame, I say whatever we do we include a rebel uprising of some sorts, so that would mean maybe a corrupt monarch/s?

Just ideas.

But I like where this is going. Count me in.

EDIT- If this thing is full, which I just realized its at about 7 people deep at the moment, I dont mind sitting out. I'm very rusty anyhow.
Hello Danger
Hello Danger
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunwolf007 Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:22 pm

Kalon that is a fantastic suggestion for plot construction but before we move onto that we need to finish step two first before moving into step three. Speaking of which I should organize us on the progress we have made so far. I think we have enough ideas on genres to start thinning them down. I think I counted 5 (3 from Spectre, 1 from Blackrock, 1 from Sunwolf007) so I am going to incorporate them into this post so everyone can review them. Everyone pick 2 and whichever three gets the most votes will go head to head in another voting round to determine the winner. Also I am adding a list of members involved so we know who is actually working on this with us all. Should we close admission?

OK so here is where we stand on progress: We are in the middle of step 2
Spoiler:

Members who are involved:
Blackrock
Digital Muse
Gadreille
Guilty Carrion
Hello Danger
Kalon Ordona II
Ruu
Spectre
Sunwolf007
Ysopet

Ideas for Genres:

Sunwolf007’s idea
Spoiler:

Blackrocks’ idea
Spoiler:

Spectre’s Genre ideas
Spoiler:
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:15 pm

Blackrock's Arcanum and Sunwolf's Browncoats.

Edit:
What if we don't want to choose just 1, though?
I'm kind-of liking a Fable-esque guns'n'magic picture, but with a touch of anime airship-ness.

Metal airships, though, not wood.
Steam-ships in the air, as opposed to sailing-ships in the air.

Or, remember Castle in the Sky?
Fantasy folk rediscover lost technology, perhaps? Very Happy Or have rediscovered, and we're a couple generations later? Very Happy

That might combine all 5: the half&half, the frontier, the post-apocalyptic, the vigilante, and the old returning?
Fantasy/steampunk vigilantes in a frontier area that's rediscovering and reviving tech from post-apocalypse?
With fog? xD
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Digital Muse Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:45 pm

I think I'm rather drawn to Sunwolf's the most with Blackrock's idea a close 2nd.
Digital Muse
Digital Muse
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:51 pm

I concur with digi.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next