FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interest Check

4 posters

Go down

Little Monster Interest Check

Post by Spectre Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:56 pm

Okay guys.
I'm torn. I want help, and I want to RolePlay! xD This is my outreach Smile
I have a lot of ideas. But they are all in different directions.
I've also been really eager to get back into the swing of writing things, and promote some activity Smile.

I've been torn between these universes. . .
  • Futuristic Science Fiction- Been wanting to do a Mass Effect based Sci-Fi. Also a sci fi involving a company's plot to investigate the disappearance of a colony on a remote planet[Not like Aliens, mind you:)].
  • Cyber Punk- corporation vs corporation, religious order vs corporation, government conspiracy, and the involvement of a virus and it's cure.
  • Modern Supernatural [not vampires and werewolves...]: Based in an AU multicultural city involving organized crime gangs. Revenge drama.
  • Medieval Fantasy: involving a large continent, a predictable quest to stop an evil force- but hindered by things that aren't so typical. [however more realistic as far as the fantasy elements go]

All of which, I don't have much story to go from. I have basic ideas of plotlines, however nothing really in depth. Let me know what you think, and I'll see if i can't put something awesome together quickly. Or shoot, even blend a few, or all of them together. Seen it done before.... ha...

give me your feedback, and lets work something out Very Happy!
Spectre
Spectre
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Little Monster Re: Interest Check

Post by Ruu Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:18 pm

I'd be interested in either the Modern Supernatural, the Fantasy, or the Cyber Punk. I know, I'm not helping narrow it down but they all sound good.
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Safton Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:21 pm

I'd be most interested in the Sci-Fi (especially if set in the Mass Effect universe), supernatural, or fantasy. All sound like they have potential, though.

Safton
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectre Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:16 am

let me start by fleshing the two that seem to be the better sought after first.

The supernatural RP will be dealing with minor superpowers. They are genetic, closer to muted mythological descendant genes. [closer to animal mythology than anything else. Not Angels or Demons, etc]

I don't know what to call them yet, so im just sticking with boring 'supernatural' for now. haha.

One special trait, and the rest are pretty typical for all, like extra strength, speed, and resiliency and faster healing/recovery. These are incredibly rare.
Humans tend to know they exist, but they aren't 'outed' to society or anything yet, leaving them mostly in shadow. For obvious reasons, and their rarity, they don't typically try to let out that they aren't human, although appearing so outwardly. Appearances are typically human, though they may posses some strange traits- non natural eye or hair color, strangely tall, nothing that you wouldn't see via hair dyes and contacts, plastic surgery, tattoos, etc. People don't tend to ask questions, but you'll get the occasional stare, and raised eyebrow.

They are kept within families, and you don't get 'half and half' people. They are one or the other, if both biological parents are supernatural. For instance, my character will be the descendant of an ancient dog/wolf/coyote god. His mother was human but father a 'dog demon'. he inherited his father's genes so he inherits his father's abilities as well. He is naturally stronger than any Olympic athlete, and faster. He heals fast and is more physically durable. His special trait would be better sense of smell and hearing.

your character could even just have the natural strength and durability, but have a boost on how fast they are. Or they could be normally fast and durable, but be incredibly stronger. Or strong, fast, but be much more durable.

These all need some sort of downside, however. As my character's smell and hearing would be greatly defective in the face of flashbang grenades, high frequency sound, and being in terrible smelling places like a sewer, or garbage dump or teargas.

It can pull from whatever mythology you want, or out of your head. It doesn't need a deep description to be honest, because most have forgotten that far back anyhow.

you could be a descendant of zeus and shoot lightning bolts out your ass as a specialty for all I care. Maybe a descendant of a Deer/Rabbit/Horse god and you could be really fast. You could be a descendant of Horus and have amazing sight, or a descendant of Serqet and be able to heal other people and be resistant to harmful foreign substances [drugs, poisons, gasses]Just make it cool, and try to keep it believable and contained.
--------------------------------
To shape the world a little better, just imagine a partially futuristic city-scape. Maybe about 50-75 years into the future. No floating cars or any of that, but technology has made a small step forward.

The city is fairly cleaner, slightly more safe. Criminals have had to become smarter, due to better locks and better home security, and much stronger fiberglass windows, etc. You typically won't find a successful crook who isn't well educated. Organized crime is the new way for criminals to make money, and there are several gangs. Most of them are run like big businesses or intelligence firms, and the 'muscle' are generally treated like lower class, favoring to hire private security than use their own people.

This brings us to the basis of the roleplay- which will involve two or three smaller organized crime groups that have supernatural beings as members. Each run by a family. This is the largest conglomeration of them the world has ever seen, and there will be consequences of such. None of the families are friendly with each other and this is apparent, but outward violence has not started. Like most, they are too afraid to be outed to the world for their heritage and abilities.

Law Enforcement are much better trained and equipped. They are now seen in a better light, and feared by gangs. They do their job, and do it well. Order is pretty good without much chaos. Art has become much more digitized, as everything else seems to be that way. Street lights are brighter- and architecture is becoming more squared and or rounded with glass and steel, depending on the buildings. You don't see too many more angular or brick and mortar in newer buildings. Touch screens are pretty much everywhere [to the annoyance of some, still], and computers are on another level now. Holograms are a thing of the 'now', however they are still being perfected. Mostly being used for video conferences, and anything stationary. You will only see them in the ridiculously rich homes, and medium to large businesses, or government buildings [displaying logos, maps, Still images, or short videos] People are happy, and Homelessness is at an all time low.

As far as location goes, i'm trying to leave that ambiguous for now. I may just make up a city name and throw it into a continent. Though I'm honestly thinking USA, Great Britain, Japan, or Australia somewhere.
----

i'm thinking that the three families employ smaller families.

Each family has a certain aesthetic.

One group specializes in black market arms, cars etc. So they will have extravagant offices, flashy cars and decked out homes..

The family my character's involved with will be more like an intelligence business selling forgeries and information. More clean cut and 'black and white'. A much more corporate feel, their homes would be minimalist, clean cut, 'less is more'....

One is more of a 'legitimate' business, selling out private security, but using this to people's disadvantage as well. Something like that? This is the group i've got less an idea about.

------

As far as plot goes, i'm leaning toward that these three families are well known to each other. They started as two big groups, the heads being friends. Something happened, and the families started a grudge, and they both lost members, going to a third group.

It will begin with the head of one family murdered in public, and the rest of his 'more innocent', or 'legitimate' family is going to be kidnapped. These kidnappings become more prominent, and people begin to get 'set up' in the middle of 'jobs'.

I think the RP should start with the three families at odds, before they realize it's happening to all of them

Enter a fourth family made up of the defectors from the 'first conflict'. They are going to be the typical antagonistic force, but are they to blame?

Feel free to propose additions or subtractions, or comment, or ask questions to this-- and we may be going somewhere... I'll be getting up the fantasy one sooner or later, and shoot, safton if you want to put together a mass effect roleplay, we should put something together together some time to make a great and comprehensive roleplay. But i'd like to do it on top of the roleplay i put together from this OOC check. Sound good? Or don't have the time- that's cool too.
Spectre
Spectre
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectre Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:14 am

AND THE NEXT: the Fantasy RP.

I'm not going to be including elves in this roleplay in any capacity. Anything non-human is generally looked at as such.
Magic is very contained. Something more akin to alchemy is close to magic [healing solves, etc]. But other magic is pretty reserved. It's more like prophecies and miracles. Something you'd see inTolkien, or Martin. No fireballs, or shooting lightning on a whim. Sure, these can probably be done, but it's not common place for any human to be able to pull off. Sorcerers are taboo, necromancy and element manipulation are illegal. Priests and seers are trusted by some, but mostly seen as scams. Alchemy is the only known source of magic widely 'okayed' in society. Not saying it's easy by any means, as it's still pretty rare.

the world is pretty similar to ours, on an oblong continent with arctic, temperate, rocky temperate, dry desert, mountains and rain forest, and back the other way. No jungle, however.

There will be fantastic creatures. Dragons, Unicorns, Ogres, Cyclopes, Griffins, Goblins, Trolls, Chimera, Undead, harpies, giant spiders, Hostile Elves [not your beautiful LOTR kind, mind you. They look closer to something out of the Elder Scrolls. Large eyes, pointy ears, angular faces, sometimes even sharp teeth, and odd skin tones.] They can be civilized, but most aren't. They live in large tribes on the outskirts of the lands. Killing any Non-Elves due to their arrogance and xenophobia.

The plot will revolve around a giant evil returning- which would explain why all these creatures are becoming more restless and more commonplace. Hordes of elves and goblins are overrunning cities. This evil is akin to a 'rapture' if you will. But no one but practitioners of magics will be saved. [like one out of every fifty people or less, in this world]

Our heroes will be a crew from a conglomerate of allied nations, having their priests foretelling, and seers all see the same vision of prophecy. They send this group to gather other countries' support, as the 'dark god insert name here' will be returning from the sky to start the world anew in chaos.

His only demise lies in part of the prophecy- finding a single young priest or priestess with the 'hidden' power of repelling and closing [or even destroying] the sky gate that will let this chaos god through.

I've got some surprises up my sleeve for this one as well, and that said 'priest' will be one person's player character.
Spectre
Spectre
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Safton Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:27 am

This supernatural RP you're proposing actually isn't going in the direction I expected when I read the initial description -- and that's not at all a bad thing. If anything, this sounds more unique. So I'm still interested, although I have a question: would our characters have to be a member of one of the families or have powers?

As for the Mass Effect RP -- I really would love to do that. The ME universe has so much potential to play around in without even touching the main storyline. However, I don't have the time to spend that I would like to. If I commit myself to it, I want to be able to do it right. So it's not out of the question, but I will have to take a rain check for now.

This fantasy RP also has some promise. I've been wanting to get in on a fantasy-themed RP for a while now. I've done modern, I've done war, I've done sci-fi, but never fantasy. And I do like the somewhat low-fantasy theme you seem to be going with here. My interest is certainly piqued.

I'm not sure which of these two I would "prefer" at the moment, so I'll get back to you on that.

Regardless, looking forward to all of this, Spectre.

Last edited by Safton on Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:50 am; edited 2 times in total

Safton
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruu Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:04 pm

Hmmm...I like both as well. They sound like awesome ideas. I'm always attracted to fantasy RPs, though. If we did the fantasy one, I'd be interested in the priest position if you needed it. Those are the types of characters I generally create in RPs. And if it's not available, that's fine too, but I'd still be more interested in the fantasy one. I do like the Tolkiensque use of magic instead of magic being commonplace and overused. It makes it a bit more believable and sounds fun with those rules in place.
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectre Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:27 pm

Safton-
i mean you don't have to be a part of a gang, or even have supernatural abilities. That's just a main plotline i was going with to shape the world.

As far as ME goes- i totally get it. ME is enormous. You and I seem to share the same sentiment on doing it right. Rain check accepted.

Ruu- the priest/ess position- i'm teetering on. I can't decide whether to make it a character set in stone, or wait and see if more people are interested-- and not even make it a 'priest' but one of the characters we need to gather. It would be a random choice of mine to PM whichever typist and let them know they have been chosen as 'the chosen one', and everyone would figure it out at a climax in the roleplay.

but to you both-
yeah the fantasy i like isn't really dungeons and dragons. I'm trying for a more gritty, low fantasy. I may bring elves into play as PC's but i'd prefer not to.

I'm still looking for more people to be interested as well. I'd like at least one more person. If not that's fine we can run a 3 player group but i'd like at least one more for my own OCD reasons.

If you'd like to see things changed, let me know. Questions? Again- let me know.
Spectre
Spectre
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:22 pm

I've been considering joining another role play...

I think I've got a better grasp on your fantasy idea than your supernatural one, but I'd be willing to try either.

Also, I know that I won't be able to post more than once a week. So, if that's too slow for you, you probably shouldn't have me.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectre Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:33 pm

I mean i get that this is casual roleplay. you know I'm manic about posting and being active, but that's because i'm slightly off my rocker xD..
Once a week is fine with me, as long as it is once a week at least i don't mind. The only time i get to post is at work. But i may be relegated to once a week come Monday.

But yeah since the supernatural one is a lot more original it's a little more complicated. I'm sure if i spent more time i could clean it up and structure the description better but i'm short on that sort of focus right now xD.

The fantasy one is a little more driven and straightforward so it may be easier for everyone else?

all that being said, i'm still completely open to suggestions for plot devices and universe settings and all that.
Spectre
Spectre
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:42 pm

After you decide which one you want, I'll put up some ideas. I've just been GM too much, I really just want to let you take the reins ;D
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectre Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:15 pm

Makes sense for sure.
I think I'll open up a fantasy rp OOC in a bit then. Seems to be the one that's opening the most ears.
Spectre
Spectre
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectre Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:36 am

will hopefully be up tonight.
Had a busy weekend. xD
Spectre
Spectre