FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who woulda thunk it!?

+5
Fluff
Kaito
Aesalon
Fate Flyer
Inerio
9 posters

Go down

Who woulda thunk it!? Empty Who woulda thunk it!?

Post by Inerio Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:56 pm

The other day I was having a conversation with my friend, let's call her K.
Me: Yeah, I'm on a roleplay site right now....
K: Ew! Roleplay? But, don't only ugly nerdy people do that?

Which got me thinking....Most people I know who don't roleplay usually assume that a roleplayer is some middle aged man who lives at home with his mom and watches Lord of the Rings. Now, don't get me wrong, I loves me some JR Tolken every now and then. However, if you look at other people's profiles a lot of us are pretty average(and even rather attractive) individuals. In fact, by looking at many of us you probably would never guess we spend our free time typing away on FOG.

What do you think of these assumptions FOG? Hell, while we're at it, let's talk about stereotyping. You know, just to broaden the topic a bit.

-edit-
FIREFOX, YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO CORRECT MY SPELLING FAIL! YOU FAIL FIREFOX! YOU FAIL! D<

Last edited by Inerio on Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Inerio
Inerio
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Who woulda thunk it!? Empty Re: Who woulda thunk it!?

Post by Fate Flyer Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:05 pm

Good conversational topic, Inerio.

I typically think of Live Action Role-Players (LARPers) in a stereotypical light: the either really skinny or really obese young white kid with glasses who spends his time (yes, his - that is part of the stereotype) either online or out playing scenes with his fellow LARPers. I've never actually met someone who LARPs though. (This is the thing that they were doing in the movie Role Models, for those of you have have seen it.)

For this type of role-playing -- text-based role-playing -- I really don't see stereotypes. I suppose it's because I'm much less ignorant on the subject, since it is something that I have been doing since I before I even became a teenager (at least 9 years ago). So, throughout the years, I've met so many different types of people, that I don't see stereotypes at all in online text-based RPing. For me personally, role-playing was always a form of writing. Ever since I was a small child, I loved to write fictional stories, and role-playing was a way for me to better my skills whilst enjoying writing with others and learning from them along the way. So, I guess, I never really looked at role-playing as something nerdy or weird. I either am seeing it through rose-colored glasses or am one of the few seeing it for what it really is, lol. Laughing Because of that though, I openly tell people in real life (like classmates) about FOG and about how I enjoy role-playing.

I don't have a problem with stereotypes. I think they're hilarious! (Cuz I'm American! LOL.) I just think that it's a good idea for people to make themselves aware of the things they are stereotyping, because by nature, giving anything a stereotype is the result of ignorance towards that thing, just as I, myself, am ignorant toward LARPing (having never seen it or learned much about it). It's only when people start accusing you, yourself, of something that you are not when it becomes a problem.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★

Female

http://trynethetimetraveler.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Aesalon Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:13 pm

I am Aesalon the Buttugly, and I hereby stand up for all the great stereotypes of the world, we balding middle aged men who tend to plan watching the entire LoTR (Uncut) trilogy in one setting in about two weeks.
I say to thee - "I do NOT live with my mommy!"
Headbang
Aesalon
Aesalon
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

http://www.fbnparanormal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aesalon Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:15 pm

...Oh, and by the way, the one girl I have ever met thinks my character is HOT!
Coolio
Aesalon
Aesalon
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaito Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:33 pm

hahaha xD

I've met some LARPers, but never seen it done. What I saw about these individuals was that they were very charismatic. After all, a good LARP is like playing theatre.

I heard one funny story from one of them, when they played a session somewhere in the wood, there was an old couple stopping by and watching for a while. After watching them some time, the man came up to them and shouted "Thou shalt not have my wife as long as I breathe!" and went ahead and joined them heartedly.

I guess LARPing is a lot of fun - if with the right people.

Oh, and for general Text RPing, I've always considered it just another type of writing. Also, it was my first experience with writing, myself. Although I always had a colorful fantasy (and made lots of maps and enzyclopedias when I was a kid as a reference to the roleplaying I did with my cousin back then. good times. Very Happy )
Kaito
Kaito
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Inerio Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:02 pm

My LARPing both began and ended when I realized I was the token minority of the LARP group.

Me: HEY GUYS WHAT CAN I BE?! : D*new kid*
Group leader: I dunno, you can be a gypsy or something.

I usually got pinned as the fortune teller, merchant, Arabian, Indian, or other random dark skinned sub genre I forgot.

There were actually a few pretty cute girls in the group. However, most of the guys were skinny pasty teenage boys. I suppose I just haven't happened upon any LARPing guys that defy the stereotype as of yet.
Inerio
Inerio
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluff Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:36 pm

I have sexy cheekbones, both on my face and my rear. I defy thee, stereotypes!

LARPing is weird, though. I don't think I could EVER do that. Okay, maybe in bed, but that's different. Haha, imagine the DnD geek. "I roll 3d6 to determine my erection length!"
Fluff
Fluff
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

http://z9.invisionfree.com/the_temple_of_kraden

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:54 pm

I'm fully aware that it's nerdy and people react the way your friend did, Inerio.

Sometimes, I hesitate just after telling someone I role play online to gauge they're reaction. For the most part, no one looks at me weird. In fact, I have met other role players through such admissions.

I've lived my life not really fitting in with any stereotype except for when I went through my goth stage. Even as a child I liked dark and terrible things while also loving rainbows and butterflies. I like to greedily stand on both sides of the fence, and I have found that the fence is short enough to comfortably straddle, but I get the occasional aches from it.

Anyway, I may be average looking and not hideous, but I'm also a nerd who not only sits at her computer desk daily but who also enjoys a prominent social life on occasion. ^^_^^

Also, as soon as I have finished reading tLotR, I'm going to watch all three movies with my grandmother, and I'm going to be Tolkien elf for Halloween! BWAHAHAH!

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:05 pm

I love you, Kathryn. Smile

I think we're nearly one in the same person. ^_^
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:21 pm

:: giggle-snorts :: Yes. We could be twins. I have the prettier coloured hair, and you have the prettier everything-else.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:34 pm

Ooh, twins - that would be fun. :] Lol! That's definitely not true, but I agree that your hair is beyond envy-worthy! (I fear mine will continue to darken as I age. My mom's was white-blonde when she was a kid, and today it's brown. I will feel very different about myself if I someday have a different hair color. o.o)
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mezrin Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:38 pm

LARPers are just kids who never outgrew playing House with the little girl down the block.
Mezrin
Mezrin
Shadow
Shadow

Male

http://manticoreproductions.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Inerio Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:41 pm

Hey! D<
I still play doctor with the little girl down the block......Granted she isn't so little anymore.....And it isn't doctor we're playing. >>
Inerio
Inerio
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:44 pm

Laughing Oh, Inerio!
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:52 pm

hahah If you say soooo.

Anyway, I'm lucky. My grandmother and my mother had light blond hair as a child, and it darkened to brown as teens. The same happened to my mother. They both dyed their hair a lot, though, so I'm just assuming my mom's natural colour was light brown. I think my grandma's was dark brown. I don't really know. It became grey. XD

I seriously miss those days of playing pretend. I never played House... but my friend Amelia ((who I've known and loved since we were seven)) and I used to pretend we were animals. When we were at my house, we would go to the school and play on the jungle equipment. She was a bird, and I was a dog. Sometimes our friend Sara was with us, and she was a cat.

When we were at her house, we weren't a real kind of animal. It was sort of a mixture of feline and magick... It was interesting. I liked that game best.

I can't play like that any more. I haven't got it in me. Games like that used to not have anything wrong in them, and they were fun. Now it's no fun without the drama and twists of bad events and battle.

I think I could be a good LARP player. I love acting.

Anyway, I have the firm belief that I get my hair from my father because it has only faded from white blond to a super light blond. I know it'll continue to darken a little, but not much beyond what it is now. I hope, when I start to grey, that I get white instead of grey because it won't show for a long time. hahah

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sighlent Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:59 pm

My hair was once blonde and as I get older it gets more red! Can't complain I love being a red head. You don't know how many people stop by me and just start playing with my hair. Typically old women. It's kinda weird sometimes but at the same time it's a huge compliment! In my opinion at least. Because I think my hair is my best feature. Other than my ass. ^_^

What?! I like my bum. Boogie
Sighlent
Sighlent
Ghost
Ghost

Female

http://jennibou.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:21 pm

Honey, believe me. I know. My hair is long and super blond. I know. My hair is my best feature, too.

We're off topic! AH!

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sighlent Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:26 pm

Um, typically (getting back on discussion) I really don't tell people about RPing. I mean everyone knows I write but come on when I told my husband about it he about died laughing. Which is why I never let him read what I write! I love him to death but he's an illiterate block. The idea of reading sends him in to shock, so I'd be afraid of his reaction if he actually read what I was writing. He does know that I do it though but that's the extent of it. I tried explaining it and it went in one ear and out the other.

-Rolls eyes-

My parents used to ban me from the internet when I was little because they didn't like me going onto boards and such and I never could explain it to them either. So it seems that unlike you guys who are so positive towards your experience that you tell others, I myself do not. Sad
Sighlent
Sighlent
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:46 pm

Hrm... I met my lover through role playing, so I've had a pretty good experience with it personally.

I am ashamed to say that when I first met him, I saw him as the stereotype, but having found his true personality, he is so much more.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sighlent Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:35 pm

"Lover" that's so cute! Date
Sighlent
Sighlent
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Thunder Daddy Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:21 am

Heh, stereotypes exist for a reason.

As for LARP, at least they are getting exercise and fresh air. Are you doing that Mezrin, or sipping on a can of soda in front of a monitor?
Thunder Daddy
Thunder Daddy
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Aesalon Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:13 am

Thunder Daddy wrote:Heh, stereotypes exist for a reason.

As for LARP, at least they are getting exercise and fresh air. Are you doing that Mezrin, or sipping on a can of soda in front of a monitor?

Dangit! I told you, I DO NOT LIVE WITH MY MOMMY!

tongue
Aesalon
Aesalon
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thunder Daddy Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:32 am

Lol not saying you do man.

But yeah, I think LARPers get a lot of undeserved mockery.
Thunder Daddy
Thunder Daddy
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Inerio Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:20 am

Good point. Sweating, sun, movement. They're probably in better shape than us forum roleplayers. Well, the forum roleplayers that don't do a damn thing other than roleplaying anyway.
Inerio
Inerio
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sighlent Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:06 pm

Actually FOG has some of the hottest looking Roleplayers I've seen on any RP site. So stick that in your juice box and suck it! Muhaha
Sighlent
Sighlent
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:12 pm

It's because good looks aid in good writing here! ^^_^^

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum