FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wielding the Low-Key

2 posters

Go down

Wielding the Low-Key Empty Wielding the Low-Key

Post by Moon Ray Wed May 16, 2012 8:35 pm

Setting: A single planet at the center of the multiverse, surrounded by ever-changing swirling wormholes. Commonly called Elio.

Elio's oceans and continents are divided by curtains of gaseous magical energy that rise between the tectonic plates. They inhibit travel and communication on planet, but they also enrich the land. Any place outside of civilized borders is considered extremely dangerous, because of the rampaging magic, the wild beasts, and the living land.

Characters: unlimited. Original, or not. Based in any genre or world/book/game/movie.

Some people have learned to traverse the wormholes; some people can manipulate the fabric of the multiverse; some people are snatched -through action or accident- from their home and, by some miracle, survive the journey. Once on Elio, they must make their own way.

Plot: BYOP (bring your own plot. Or, you know, don't.)

RP Rules:
- Anything not explicitly defined In Character is open to your manipulation. Ideas, are welcome and not subject to anyone's prior approval. Unless you're an idiot.

- Rule of Fun. If that means a long post, full of details, ...or a paragraph, full of interactions, ...or a steaming pile, to help get you out of writer's block... it's all good.

Wielding the Low-Key Marit_Lage_Token_640

Dearest Amelia,

When we parted, I expected to meet you in New York by winter time. My uncle wrote me to say he was expecting us for supper on Christmas Eve. He also added that my cousin, Martin, intended to ask you to dance, now that he is graduated from Iowa College. (I believe you knew Martin was enamored by you since that race in Elmira. He has never forgotten the pretty girl who flew more recklessly than his hero.)

I remember it all very well, though at times it seems that our adventures dusting crops, and gutting aeroplanes in Mr. S-------'s garage were a distant dream. I wonder if you worried when I did not arrive in time for our engagement at Smithy's Bar. I wonder if the papers wrote of my disappearance, and what your mother said when she read the rumors. (I believe she's never liked the encouragement I gave her oldest, wildest daughter.) I wonder if you still had the courage to fly after I was lost, and -sometimes- I hope fear has kept you grounded.

The secret of my vanishing act, if you will believe it all, began with unexpected turbulence. I woke from the restful fugue of flying over glittering ocean waves by sudden, violent winds. Abruptly I would lose all support and in my drop I would be hammered by a fierce downdraft. I was afraid to go down in the ocean, where bobbing like a trapper's buoy until rescued was so vastly unappealing. (Pride, there, I believe was my downfall.) I cut into every updraft I could find, thinking to gain enough height to coast over the windstorm. I breached cloud cover, went higher, and found I couldn't level out. I've never risen so quickly. My engines stuttered and cut with a thin, whining sound. I was still trying to get them restarted when it became impossible to even breathe. I'm afraid that in very short order I lost consciousness, certain that I would not wake up.

The journey was horror enough I would wish to spare you from. However, since I've awoken I've thought that a few heart-skipping maneuvers, the feel of Death breathing on my neck, and the fitful nightmares I suffered in my sleep, were the least of it.

Don't misunderstand me: there are wondrous, fantastic things out here. There is all the adventure, danger, and excitement that you wanted when you first asked me to take you into the air. Not a day ends without my finding ten things I wish I could bring you.

But never have I wished you were here.

There are darker things. One rule the worlds seem to be in agreement on is that all things must have a balance. As brilliant and amazing as some of it is, there are beastly, hate-fueled horrors that give birth to the worst nightmares. Death and dishonor are not the worst that can befall a man.

And there is a truth at this end of everything -an understanding gained from perspective- that is cruel to realize. I have seen unstable hearts shatter. Men have been made mad, and vanished. And beyond that there is a loneliness; an intense longing for the past. You dream of home, knowing you will never see it again.

I pray that you, and our families, and all of home stays safe. I pray that you can deny your spirit and don't fly too high. But if you do get lost at this end of everything, I pray you will walk through my doors.

I've set up a small B&B, not far from the heart of Kingstown. It's called, of course, Snookie's. The food is consistently good; we are kept well stocked on beer and liqueurs. When the wind blows northerly, the salt air is cool and soothing from the back patio, where one can overlook most of the neighborhood with ease. Our guests, though often unusual, are interesting people.

If you come, you will find I've prepared one of our rooms just for you.

With affection,
Neta

Concept: A place to do some quick and casual RPing, or have the adventure of a lifetime. Whichever you want just this moment. I can respond relatively quickly most days. If you want some interaction, or just a setting to try out a character, this is the place. The long term stuff is welcome too of course. Freedom is the word, so if writing thirteen pages of prose is your thing, we like that too. (I'm prone to it myself.)

The idea is that anyone can join, and any character can join, whenever, where ever, however. No admissions process. I have faith in the forum.

Plot: For those of you uncomfortable with BYOP, don't worry. I guarantee to have several things moving, just because that's how my brain works. This includes local plots, planet-wide schemes, and designs across the multiverse. How much of it you see depends on who shows up and what happens.

To keep it accessible, whatever everyone else gets up to, Neta Snook will continue to run the B&B/tavern. (You know, unless she finds something more fun.)

Questions are welcome.

After the first "game on," we'll move this party IC.
Moon Ray
Moon Ray
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Wielding the Low-Key Empty Re: Wielding the Low-Key

Post by Dreamless Days Sun May 20, 2012 9:56 pm

I wanted to post in the sooner, but this is my first chance on a computer in the last few days. Tried to say something from my phone but it was glitchy, haha.

Interested (And have a character finished).
Dreamless Days
Dreamless Days
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Ray Sun May 20, 2012 10:53 pm

Sweet. You (and anyone else who's feeling it) can post a char profile in OOC. I'll catch you there or IC, just as soon as I put them up.

Moon Ray
Moon Ray
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum