FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question: Map Making

4 posters

Go down

Question: Map Making Empty Question: Map Making

Post by Zephiris Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:22 am

Hm, am trying to start a role play soon, but I need a good map for the role play, which will be set in a world different from our own. However, I need a good map-making software...

Campaign Cartographer is tempting, but my budget is $0, so anything that costs is not possible...

So, any suggestions for me? Smile
Zephiris
Zephiris
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Question: Map Making Empty Re: Question: Map Making

Post by Kaito Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:35 am

This is an interesting question indeed.

I had made some maps with photoshop, before, but they weren't that good.

So I've done some research real quick, and you might find this tutorial interesting.. And the whole forum in particular, too. Since it's all about mapmaking.
http://forum.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2461

let me know if you find anything interesting. And if you do try this stuff, show us. Very Happy
Kaito
Kaito
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:34 am

Zephiris! I feel like it's really funny that you ask this, because I was only just a few days ago wanting to find something to make maps with too (for Caligo here)! I have drawn maps in the past, but it's not something I really enjoy doing (nor have the time for now), so I was hoping that there would be some software possibly available where you could just create your own lands.

Thanks for the reply, Kaito, but it looks like you have to be a member of that message board in order to view those links.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★

Female

http://trynethetimetraveler.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaito Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:24 pm

yup, although it's not that hard to register with some random trashmail to view the attachments. especially if you are genuinely interested, it shouldn't be a problem. Wink

There's some free map making programs out there, but they're quality wise not nearly as good as that campaign creator, or gimp + skill.
Kaito
Kaito
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dio the Awesome Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:05 am

Hmm... I support this initiative.

I searched, and found this:]

http://www.mapmaker.com/download.asp

When you download, you get a 30 day trial of map maker pro, after 30 days it become Map Maker Gratis, which is perfectly free. (You can also just run the free version from day one if you choose.)

I haven't player with it for more than 5 minutes, but it looks like it has potential. (plays with it some more).

Edit:
I made this rough thing in about 10 minutes. Saving it to bitmap caused some discoloration, hence the sickly color of my forest. (I made this is the less professional free version.)

Question: Map Making Maptest
Dio the Awesome
Dio the Awesome
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down