FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The End of the World?

+2
Fate Flyer
Kathryn Lacey
6 posters

Go down

The End of the World? Empty The End of the World?

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:44 pm

I got the idea for this thread after clicking on a Yahoo! News link which was talking about Roland Emmerich's new movie 2012. There's also a trailer there, but if you're like me, and it doesn't work for you, try this YouTube link.

As many of you may or may not know, there have been many talks about the end of the world coming on December 21st, 2012. Why such a specific date? This is the date when that the Mayan calendar just stops. A lot of people believe that it just stops because the world will be destroyed on that day.

Of course, there have been many prophecies of the world's end, but none of them have come to pass. Why should this one?

There are several ideas about how the world could end found here.

I want to know your feelings, ideas, and thoughts about the coming of 2012.

~*~*~*~*~*~*

Personally, I never really allowed myself to think about it. It's one those situations where I think, "There's no way this could happen to me. Sure, I suffer through tragedies, but they're only things through which I can live and become stronger. Something like this would quite literally destroy me." However, when I do think about it, I feel frightened. It's just like when I seriously think about a zombie apocalypse. It feels impossible, but what if it really happened? What would I do?

Of course, this may not mark the end of the world. It could just mark a huge change in the world. I guess that would simply be defined as the end of the world as we know it. What could that change be? Who knows?

I just hope that if I'm going to suffer some sort of death, I want it to be quick and painless. I don't even want to know it's coming before it does. I don't want to feel that horror inside me, knowing that at any moment I'm going to die, and I have no idea how it will happen.

Hopefully, it will just be a change. Perhaps extraterrestrials will come to Earth, and they decide they'd rather share it with us than to destroy us all. Go knowledge increase!

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

The End of the World? Empty Re: The End of the World?

Post by Guest Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:46 am

Okay so I watched the YouTube trailer and then read the hilarious comments. This one was my favorite:

how the hell would they know?
some stupid prediction?
if no one could predict an earthquake, what makes them think they could predict the end of the world??
jeez. -____-

HAHAHAHA!

This guy pretty much summed up my opinion. One: I chose not to really think about the end of the world. I'm a Christian, and so I believe that no man can predict the day, nor the hour, that this fated time shall come.

Two: I've never taken the Bible literally. In fact, I've taken it quite metaphorically. But there are some things that I know to just to stop pondering over and let it be. For instance, the whole "man won't know when its gonna bite 'em in dah butt" part is something I'll just let be. But other things, such as Genesis, I've taken into account through several "unorthodox" point-of-views. Thus, to conclude my second and final point: WHATEVER. If the world is going to end in a meteor shower (or debris from a volcano underneath Yellow Stone - as one YouTube commenter put it....ditz) then so be it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:12 am

This has interested me for some time now. It has been the topic for some of my instructors even. I'm not really certain what to believe concerning 2012. (I look forward to seeing the movie though.)

Have any of you seen Zeitgeist: The Movie? In one of its chapters, it discusses this, and it explains it all for you. You can watch the full movie here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-594683847743189197 For this part, start watching at 13 minutes and around 40 seconds. Veeerrry interesting.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★

Female

http://trynethetimetraveler.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:30 pm

Jeez my mayan ancestors have really got people scared don't they? lol Very Happy But really they were very advanced when it came to the stars, centuries ahead of anything in Europe. I don't believe they thought the world was ending. Scratch that I'm sure they did believe it in some point, but I believe the calendar was simply that, the end of the "era" and beginning of the next. It's no secret the earth has done it once, so I'm sure my leaf wearing ancestors knew it would happen again and just happened to mark it on the calendar, but were killed off before they could complete part two. lol Or that calendar was destroyed along with you know...everything else. O.o
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Shades Of Gray Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:00 pm

Squall, I whole heartedly agree with your view. I believe the Mayan had a good notion of what they're talking about, call it a well develope sense of intuition if you will. I don't think the world is going to end, I think people are begining to make a hype about it like they did with Y2K... (Ha Ha... some of you were just kids then :3 ) The end of a generation, of an 'era'. They're not sure what to expect, and because people are afraid of what they don't understand, they tend to stretch the scenario until it's something they're able to mold and feel some inkling of control.

I can't help but remember Heaven's Gate, the religious group. Does anyone remember this by chance? For those who don't I'll give you the scope. It was a religious cult based in San Diego back in spring (I think) of 1997. They believed that the coming of the Hale Bot Comet meant the end of the world, that earth was going to clense itself, recycle, rejuvenate... pick which ever you'd like. Apparently the only way to survive was to leave the earth immediantly, and thus the results of a mass suicide. 39 people took their lives through poisons mixed with alcohol, believing that when the comet passed over head, it would take them to heaven.

While I hope nothing like this will be happening before the supposed date of death... it only proves my point of people trying to control their fears in the unknown. Hale Bot proved to be just a comet... no UFO's bringing the end of the world as some assumed, the world didn't glych, and while some peoples' power flickered, (Probably a prank by the power company Wink ) we're still here today. I say welcome to a new era, we've too much violence and hate as it is, and I hope it brings on the best of all things.
Shades Of Gray
Shades Of Gray
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:49 pm

It's funny because, while I never believe that the whole Y2K thing was really going to happen, I can't help but to wonder about 12.21.12. I really don't think that the world is going to end, but I think a great change is going to occur. It's just frightening to think about that 'what if' factor...

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:28 pm

Gah, sadly Shades I can see many people making very stupid choices on 2012. Let's just hope they don't hurt any innocent people while they are at it. As for a great change. Well I do hope we go through a change as a people. A less violent change would be nice, but again I'm not gonna stretch my hopes and gonna stick with simply that our earth goes through a new constellation(or era).
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:59 pm

I believe the biggest question here is when did these insane theorists get their hands on the Mayan calender? Are they becoming educated?

Folks, we may have a problem on our hands.

Back to top Go down

Post by Emptor Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:45 pm

Kathryn Lacey wrote:I
Personally, I never really allowed myself to think about it. It's one those situations where I think, "There's no way this could happen to me. Sure, I suffer through tragedies, but they're only things through which I can live and become stronger. Something like this would quite literally destroy me." However, when I do think about it, I feel frightened. It's just like when I seriously think about a zombie apocalypse. It feels impossible, but what if it really happened? What would I do?

First of all I would like to comment on this before I begin my apocalyptic rambles,I would LOVE a zombie apocalypse because

1)I'm a crack shot
2)I like the thought of anarchy and fighting a horde of easily killed people.

Now onto the main reason this thread was put up.I want the earth to end at the same time as the rest of the universe,not in an explosion or a horde of zombies.No matter how amazingly awesome the latter would be,I would rather the reality warp and change,twisting,becoming something else.The world changes,but it does it so slowly that no one notices.People are born with that oddity that just popped up already existing,they don't know life without it.I want the world to change until it isn't recognizable,and that will be the new world.The coming of the apocalypse.
Emptor
Emptor
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:48 pm

B...b...but what if they are RUNNING zombies. *shivers at the thought* If they were OG zombies then I'm down to take my chances with those. But if it's the running kind. Well. FUCK THAT!
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Emptor Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:52 pm

I would take my chances with the running kind by throwing boom boxes that play thriller and have C4 strapped to them.
Emptor
Emptor
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:55 pm

*rubs chin* My gods....that just might work! Still I will make sure to keep my room of green and red herbs well stocked.
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Emptor Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:00 am

large or small?

small are good since you can have more,large are good since they heal more.What a dillema.

By the way,props of the highest orders to your death pool avatar.I just wish you had gotten the"hey the little yellow boxes are back,we'll have such fun together little yellow boxes."that's my favorite Deadpool picture.
Emptor
Emptor
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:02 am

The End of the World? 250px-DeadpoolYellowBoxes

DEADPOOL MOMENT just for Emptor!

Last edited by Squall Reyes on Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thunder Daddy Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:49 am

Remember how the end of the world was supposed to be on 1999? Yeah... I am glad that didn't work out.
Thunder Daddy
Thunder Daddy
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Emptor Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:39 am

YaY,deadpool.
The chicken said Peep.
Emptor
Emptor
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down