FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cryptozoology - A discussion and a debate

+5
Twoface_ecafowT
JRERowland
Mezrin
Shades Of Gray
Fate Flyer
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Cryptozoology - A discussion and a debate Empty Cryptozoology - A discussion and a debate

Post by Fate Flyer Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:31 pm

Cryptozoology

Cryptozoology (from Greek κρυπτός, kriptos, "hidden" + zoology; literally, "study of hidden animals") refers to the search for animals which are considered to be legendary or otherwise nonexistent by mainstream biology. This includes looking for living examples of animals which are considered to be extinct, such as dinosaurs; animals whose existence lacks physical support but which appear in myths, legends, or are reported, such as Bigfoot and el Chupacabra; and wild animals dramatically outside of their normal geographic ranges, such as phantom cats.

Those involved in cryptozoological study are known as cryptozoologists. The animals they study are often referred to as cryptids, a term coined by John Wall in 1983.

The Creatures of Legend, Myth, and Supposed Extinction

• Bigfoot/Yet/Sasquatch
  • Chupacabra
  • Dover Demon
  • Dragons/Sky Serpents
  • Fairies
  • Giant Squid
  • Gnomes
  • Jersey Devil
  • Loch Ness Monster/Plesiosaurs
  • Mermaids
  • Mongolian Death Worm
  • Mothman
  • Tasmanian Tiger/Thylacine
  • Vampires
  • Werewolves
  • Add more!

Reality or Fiction?

So, the first thing I have to ask is, what do you believe? Do you not believe in any of these things, or do you believe in some/all? If so, which ones do you believe are in existence today? Have you or someone you know ever spotted any of these creatures?

I just saw an episode of Monster Hunters on the Tasmanian Tiger, which I had surprisingly never heard of before. They come from the island of Tasmania (between Australia and New Zealand), and the last one died in 1936. Here is a video of it!! The Tasmanian Tigers, or Thylacines, have extremely large heads and mouths that can open wider than any other mammal. They were hunted down for killing sheep, and they were declared extinct. However, hundreds of sightings by eyewitnesses have been reported since their supposed extinction. One account that was told on the show I was watching was from this couple who were driving down a road one night, and they had to slam on their breaks as a mom and young Thylacine walked in front of their car. The couple had to stop in shock, asking one another if they both saw the same thing, and they agreed that they just saw two, apparently extinct, Tasmanian Tigers.

I just think these creatures are amazing! Here are some really great pictures:
Picture 1 | Picture 2 | Picture 3 | Picture 4 | Picture 5 | Picture 6

I do believe that there still must be some few Tasmanian Tigers left, especially if so many different people in Tasmania are seeing them. I think it'd be really cool if they could get their population numbers back up. Smile

As for the rest of the creatures... I wish that the Loch Ness monster was real, but I'm not sure. I mean, anything's possible really, when it comes to the waters of our planet, as so much is left undiscovered, and we are constantly finding new creatures in our oceans all the time. So, who knows what's down there? The giant squid, therefore, is also a good possibility.

I definitely don't believe in werewolves or vampires, though, admittedly, those would be quite cool too. xD I do know someone in real life though who honestly believes in both, which - sorry to say - I think is a bit odd. I also don't believe in dragons or mermaids, but I'd be so thrilled if they were real! I don't know what to think about Bigfoot. It seems like so much of the legend surrounding them is just all a hoax.

I guess many of these creatures I'd love to entertain the thought of them being real, but I need a bit more proof for a lot of them.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★

Female

http://trynethetimetraveler.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Cryptozoology - A discussion and a debate Empty Re: Cryptozoology - A discussion and a debate

Post by Guest Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:34 pm

Bigfoot is the only one I've ever actually followed and I've managed to convince myself that he exists.

Back to top Go down

Cryptozoology - A discussion and a debate Empty Re: Cryptozoology - A discussion and a debate

Post by Fate Flyer Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:42 pm

I love following Bigfoot stories too. Nod I think what really disappointed me, was I got all excited when it was all over the news not that long ago that a Bigfoot was captured, and then it turned out to be another stupid hoax. I don't know how it made such big news when it was so obvious the its face was plastic. xD

I wish we still had other humanoids other than homo sapiens.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:45 pm

I've never felt that the Patterson footage was actually ever debunked. Those videos are almost frightening the more I look at them...eh.

Heh, I think it's really just something I do to keep me awake at night, though. I can never sleep when I'm even a little bit scared.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:55 pm

Aw, yeah, I know what that's like. Sweat Drop I used to be like that when I first started getting into ghosts. (It didn't help that my old friend used to freak my out with her own stories either.)

I don't think the Patterson footage was really extensively debunked either. It is ungodly freaky too.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Shades Of Gray Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:57 pm

Go Bigfoot! I believe in you! I like to think that there are still unsolved mysteries in our world, and I'm rootin' for nature that still has yet to be discovered. I'm also a believer of faeries. But not the little pretty things that flutter around on wings, and come alive when you clap and believe. I'm talking about the menacing, malicious spirits of european ledgend, the little folk. Oh yes Smile
Shades Of Gray
Shades Of Gray
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:59 pm

Shades Of Gray wrote:Go Bigfoot! I believe in you! I like to think that there are still unsolved mysteries in our world, and I'm rootin' for nature that still has yet to be discovered. I'm also a believer of faeries. But not the little pretty things that flutter around on wings, and come alive when you clap and believe. I'm talking about the menacing, malicious spirits of european ledgend, the little folk. Oh yes Smile
Hear, hear!

I was freaked out when I saw videos on those types of fairies, Shades!! That was just creepy. I hadn't heard of them until I saw something on them on TV too awhile back. I wonder what those things are? Are they just in Europe? Man, that would creep me out if little things like that with sharp teeth were running around here. *shudders*
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Shades Of Gray Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:19 pm

lol, Did you by chance see that episode of Ghost Hunters when they were in Ireland? (This was before GHI) They were poking around some Faerie mounds and were being followed by some, (Or so they believe). I believe in them. Smile I don't think they're actually 'magical' but I believe in the vicious things.

Man... that would have been an interesting profession to take. *Might have to re-evaluate her career as a paramedic, and become Monster Hunter. :medievalfight: Rawr*
Shades Of Gray
Shades Of Gray
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:22 pm

OH! Yeah, that's where I saw it actually, I think! Lol. That sounds right, yeah. Yeah, I'd be more likely to believe they are vicious and non-magical also.

Laughing Haha some people get the coolest jobs, I swear! I'd totally be a UFO Hunter too.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:38 pm

Ugh, Ghost Hunters. Those shows are all such shams Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Shades Of Gray Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:53 pm

That would be fun!! Fate, if you and your honey do decide to move up to the Seattle area, lets go huntin'! We've got Bigfoot sightings in Duval, (See:Podunk) and while we may not have UFO's sightings that I've heard, we've got a lot of ghosts :3 I miss ghost hunting)

Schrödinger: Wink You know, you could be right. Yet oddly enough, I'm still drawn towards them! (Or at least, GH in particular. Paranormal State I think is crap! No offence to anyone who is a fan!)

Mongolian Death Worm? *Googles this*
Shades Of Gray
Shades Of Gray
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:55 pm

I was disappointed when word started spreading that Ghost Hunters might over exaggerate and fake some things. The main guys - Jason and Grant - both seem to have really awesome views when it comes to investigating, and I still respect them. I can't really speak for the rest of the investigators though. The paranormal field really needs some Grade A people to bring about a more scientific approach to researching such unexplained phenomena. If there are more "nut jobs," so-to-say, then no one will take it seriously, and we'll never get anywhere trying to understand what really is going on all around the world.

Shades, that would be so cool! Very Happy Ghost hunting in a new area too would be really exciting and fascinating! ^_^ It'd be great to go with you!

There was a Monster Hunters episode on that worm. They never found it though. Sad It's just this massive worm in the Gobi Desert.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mezrin Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:12 pm

They are real, and are only freaky and creepy and scary to people because they're secretive, few, and unheard of. The reason we haven't found them? Anyone with the resources and/or ability to find them are too busy with other things or using their abilities and resources to prove they don't exist.

EDIT: If you want to go ghosthunting, go to my grandparents' house. I once had a fight with the ghost of my great grandmother over locking a bathroom door (one of those bars that you slide) so little ones couldn't get in. She kept unlocking the damn thing.
Mezrin
Mezrin
Shadow
Shadow

Male

http://manticoreproductions.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:35 pm

That's a good point, Mez.

Oh, man. That sort of thing would creep me out!!
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by JRERowland Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:43 pm

I believe in Nessie. But I don't think he's some sort of prehistoric monster (ok...I like to think that he's some sort of prehistoric monster), but more a family of evolved seal. It pretty much covers all the stories.

Oh and ghosts I believe in. I've only had positive experiences from them.

Bigfoot, possible but unlikely, in my opinion. But then again I don't know the extent of regularly untraveled land.

JRERowland
Mist
Mist

Back to top Go down

Post by JRERowland Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:49 pm

Oh also on the subjects of faeries.

During a little stint back in England between moving to NZ with the family and moving back to do Uni, I basically embarked upon a faerie hunt. It was traveling to sites enriched with Arthurian lore, but faeries and Arthur are so interlinked I ended up basically eating and drinking English folklore. There's something about South West England, something chilling. I freaked out my girlfriend many a times by insisting we checked out 'faeries path' in the middle of the night. There's just something about it.

Now I'm not saying they exist, my logical side that's impossible and I tend to side with that most of the time. But well, it's interesting.

JRERowland
Mist
Mist

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:56 am

Hmm....

Here's what I believe concerning this list:

# Bigfoot/Yet/Sasquatch - No
# Chupacabra - No
# Dover Demon - No
# Dragons/Sky Serpents - No
# Fairies - No
# Giant Squid - Maybe
# Gnomes - No
# Jersey Devil - No
# Loch Ness Monster/Plesiosaurs - Maybe
# Mermaids - No
# Mongolian Death Worm - No
# Mothman - Seen him on Ripley's Believe It or Not.....so that's a No
# Tasmanian Tiger/Thylacine - Maybe
# Vampires - .......*no comment*
# Werewolves - No
# Add more! (how about Godzilla? .....No.)

Don't get me wrong, I'm open-minded, and very much so. But it's going to take more than the National Inquirer to convince me...especially in an age where photo-alteration technology is practically a fad. Hmm

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoface_ecafowT Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:17 am

Ah, I'm really glad I stumbled upon this thread. You guys have some fantastic views (I'd never even heard of real faeries before, but from the looks of it they are something I'll definitely put some research into). I've always been interested in this kind of stuff, and I think a lot of my views are more hopeful than logical.

But that aside, I really do believe in the Loch Ness Monster. A creature of magnificent size could easily fly under the radar and survive in a lake that large and deep, or so I believe. I'm not particularly sold that it's a prehistoric creature, but definitely something beyond the ordinary.

Now, having been born in New Jersey I've been surrounded by Jersey Devil folklore for a long time. Personally, I don't believe. Then again as I told Fate before, I have several friends and a few family members that swear they've seen it and even more than believe in the Jersey Devil wholeheartedly. While I don't question what my friends have seen, I just think the Jersey Devil is a case of mistaken identity more than anything else. A wolf or bear or even a deer cast in a certain light could look like a horrific monster.

Mmm, Bigfoot. That's another I can confidently say I believe in. I can't imagine that -so- many people could spot a creature that doesn't exist, even if several of them are hoaxes. This may just be another case of mistaken identity, but I think the plausibility of Bigfoot is too great to discount.

All the others I'm not sold on, although you guys mentioned ghosts and UFO's as well, both of which I strongly believe in. Might be nice to get another thread going about ghosts and aliens respectively unless you don't mind some discussion here.

Oh, and I'm curious, have they ever found anything on the show Monster Hunter?
Twoface_ecafowT
Twoface_ecafowT
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoface_ecafowT Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:20 am

Oh! And if it mean anything, I agree that there is a strong possibility that Giant Squids and the Tasmanian Tiger exist. In fact, I'd say that most 'large animal' myths are true. I've heard stories of gigantic anacanda's and crocodiles in Africa, and although the media and scientists reject the idea, I wouldn't discredit the possibility that nature funked out and made some truly amazing creature.
Twoface_ecafowT
Twoface_ecafowT
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Shades Of Gray Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:34 am

Excellent point of view, TwoFace Very Happy I'm going to agree with you about ghosts, I believe there are restless spirits out there. And as for aliens? I believe in them to. They might not neccessarily floating around in space ships spying on us with googly eyes, but in a universe this big? Why wouldn't there be organic organisms and other life out there?
Shades Of Gray
Shades Of Gray
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluff Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:17 am

We interrupt this serious thread to bring you a snarky picture.

Cryptozoology - A discussion and a debate Lol_wut
Fluff
Fluff
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

http://z9.invisionfree.com/the_temple_of_kraden

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:09 am

Oh, wait. What's all this about the Giant Squid being crypto? We have many dead specimens, we've observed living ones, etc...they're very, very real.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:16 am

And Giant Squids aren't even the biggest squids out there. We have colossal squids that are even larger!

Yeah, note the naming pattern...

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoface_ecafowT Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:25 am

That's a freaky picture Fluffball! Despite my curiosity, I'm not gonna ask how you found that.
Twoface_ecafowT
Twoface_ecafowT
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:27 am

Oh, that's been all over the internet for ages.

Back to top Go down

Post by Drako11 Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:38 am

Wow those Tasmanian tigers were like a let down XD I was expecting something huge, since it could open it's mouth wider then any other mammal, but no its just like a big dog with an oversized mouth. lol I think they might exist though, it seems possible, especially in Tasmania I don't think it is very populated... Anywho ya I believe in this kind of stuff. Did anyone see that show they had about Dragons on the discovery channel? I thought that was the coolest ever. They like faked finding Dragon bodies up in this icy mountain and I thought it was real for the longest time. XD
Drako11
Drako11
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoface_ecafowT Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:43 am

Haha I really wish dragons were real. And if I was a little less cynical I might believe it. I mean, dragons and dragon-like creatures and deeply ingrained in many different cultures. It just seems odd that so many varying cultures would believe in the same type of 'mythical' creature.
Twoface_ecafowT
Twoface_ecafowT
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:53 am

Cryptozoology is a field that's fascinated me for a long time, and I believe that quite a few of them are real.

Bigfoot has been the one I believed in the longest. So many people have sighted it, and there is actual evidence among all the hoaxes. Some stuff just can't be debunked. Not to mention sightings of a creature just like our Bigfoot all around the world, and the fact that there is plenty of space to hide throughout North America.

Nessie's another one I believe is real. The Loch is huge, being 22 1/2 miles long and about a mile wide. Add in the underwater caverns and the fact that it never freezes, and you have a great habitat for all sorts of marine life, be it fish, seals, eels, or a plesiosaur. Although, I don't believe in Champ.

As Schro said, we do have proof of the Giant Squid. I don't think I need to cover much there.

The Tasmanian Tiger, Megladon, and a few other creatures once thought extinct could very possibly still be alive. Just because we think their extinct doesn't necessarily mean they are.

Out of the rest of those on the list, I really only think that the Chupacabra could be real. There have been sightings and footage of something, and those goats haven't been doing it to themselves. It's more likely a known creature than a cryptid though, in my opinion. Or maybe something we don't know of yet, such as a pygmy coyote?

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:53 pm

Oh, nice! Lots of responses. Very Happy

Twoface_ecafowT wrote:All the others I'm not sold on, although you guys mentioned ghosts and UFO's as well, both of which I strongly believe in. Might be nice to get another thread going about ghosts and aliens respectively unless you don't mind some discussion here.

Oh, and I'm curious, have they ever found anything on the show Monster Hunter?
I'm happy that you said that, Twoface. I, too, very passionately believe in ghosts and aliens, most especially the latter. I've read so much on them and watch various UFO and alien ghosts on the History channel. There is just a ridiculous, almost insane amount of evidence that supports not only aliens with superior technology, but also deep underground military bases running across the United States that deals with this sort of classified information. (One of my favorites is the one in Dulce, New Mexico. Very fascinating, if you ask me.)

I agree, that ghosts and aliens do deserve their own threads. Nod

Orombur wrote:Cryptozoology is a field that's fascinated me for a long time, and I believe that quite a few of them are real.
Same here. I was just saying to onenitedrive/ Tony that I think there needs to just be a cryptozoology channel!

Oh, was the giant squid found? I hadn't heard that. I was searching around on cryptozoology sites for lists of different cryptids, and the giant squid was on one of them. That's interesting that we actually found one. The last I heard on some show on Animal Planet, was that we may never see one!
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Drako11 Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:56 pm

A really good show that covers a lot of these various creatures is Lost Tapes on Animal Planet, I have watched it a couple times it is cool. I like the one about the Megladon and Bigfoot the best.
Drako11
Drako11
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next