FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi everyone! Miss Dagger's time to say hello

+4
Silvan Arrow
Weiss
Sunwolf007
Attie
8 posters

Go down

Hi everyone! Miss Dagger's time to say hello Empty Hi everyone! Miss Dagger's time to say hello

Post by Guest Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:55 am

My name is Felicia Fredlund. I'm Swedish, and live in the lovely capital of Sweden - Stockholm. I'm 20 years old at the moment, will change in less than two months.

English is my second language, but I always work to become better at it. Although sometimes some Swedish direct translated will slip through, usually when I don't know how to say something in English. I'd appreciate it if you tell me if I say something truly strange or if it doesn't make sense, otherwise I won't learn. Thanks in advance.

I have a real life...I hope you all aren't too shocked. Right now I'm a student until the end of May, then it depends on what I manage to come up with.

Some have asked me about my username (I joined the chat last night - I had a wonderful time, thanks everyone!) and I don't have "Dagger" in it because I like knives. It comes from Final Fantasy IX where the main character Garnet have to hide for a while and it's decided she's to be called Dagger. The "Miss" was just my addition, to make it my own.

Beside role-playing and writing, I like reading, gaming and being with friends. I have a lot of other interests, but hopefully you'll get to know them all over time. I play a lot of different games but mostly boardgames, DSi-games and Wii-games. Yes, I'm a Nintendo fan, mostly because I love Mario and Zelda games.

I haven't done text-forum role-play for a few years, but I have been paper and pen role-playing. I have never text-forum role-played in English, so in the beginning I'll be rusty for those two reasons. Or at least it'll take me a lot of time to write posts first, but it should be fine. As you see, I don't actually have a problem with writing English.

Especially now in the beginning I'm mostly interested in fantasy role-plays, because that's what I'm familiar with. This won't last forever and if I feel I can contribute to a role-play in a genre I'm not as familiar with I might join. So I'm not averse to other genres, I'm just not experienced in them.

I think I'll conclude here, it's already a short essay. Thanks for reading and I hope we'll have a lot of fun together!

Back to top Go down

Hi everyone! Miss Dagger's time to say hello Empty Re: Hi everyone! Miss Dagger's time to say hello

Post by Attie Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:43 am

It's so lovely to meet you and I am so happy I guessed in the IRC Chat where your name came from! Final Fantasy 9 was my favorite, Garnet contributing to that choice. ;]

I hope you enjoy your stay here with us crazies!

Edit: I enjoy Zelda as well. - Did you ever get to play The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time? Has to be by far my favorite of them all, as it was the most enjoyable for me.
Attie
Attie
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

http://confidencephotography.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Hi everyone! Miss Dagger's time to say hello Empty Re: Hi everyone! Miss Dagger's time to say hello

Post by Sunwolf007 Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:03 am

Welcome to FoG! If you are looking for a place to sharpen your writing and RP skills than you have come to the right place. I am sure Bird of Hermes will be by soon enough to post up all the links for info topics so you will get a big overview of the site. Just wondering if you are a Nintendo fan how did you ever play FF9 which was on the PlayStation? Or are you like me and own multiple competing consoles? Oh and are you just a fan of FF9 or have you played any of the other Final Fantasy games? (I'm a big FF fan if you couldn't tell) If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask and I hope you enjoy your stay in the swirly mists.
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Location : Greater Grand Rapids area, US of A ( last time I checked)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:13 pm

Attie wrote:Did you ever get to play The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time? Has to be by far my favorite of them all, as it was the most enjoyable for me.
It was Ocarina of Time that was the first Zelda game I played. I've never actually defeated the last boss, but I've gotten there. I blame that on me being young, and getting upset if I died too much. I was like 10 or so when I played it.

Sunwolf007 wrote:Just wondering if you are a Nintendo fan how did you ever play FF9 which was on the PlayStation? Or are you like me and own multiple competing consoles? Oh and are you just a fan of FF9 or have you played any of the other Final Fantasy games? (I'm a big FF fan if you couldn't tell)
I played at a friend's house, that's why I haven't finished that game, or any of the other ones to PlayStation. I have bought the older FF games that's been released to DS, and I have Final Fantasy Tactics A2 (that's the name right?) and a lot of other FF products. I suck at finishing games though, so most I've gotten a bit in, but then a new game have taken my focus. I'm working on finishing games, before I move to the next.

Hmmm... my intro post really sounded like an essay. No personality shining through... *slaps forehead*

Back to top Go down

Post by Weiss Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:17 pm

Hi everyone! Miss Dagger's time to say hello WelcomeToFOG

I had typed up about three paragraphs worth of welcoming, but then I hit the backspace key and it all went bye-bye. So, I apologize, but this welcome probably won't be quite as exciting as that one, because I'm a bit frustrated that Forumotion hasn't implemented an auto-save feature into the post reply page.

Alas, I welcome you heartily nevertheless! We've already spoken a good bit in the IRC, but it's good to see that you decided to post an introduction thread here on the forums, and you even did a marvelous job of telling us about yourself! It's good to have another gamer about, since I'm quite fond of the pastime, myself. I'm sure we'll have a lot to talk about; especially if you're into Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy IX is one of the few I've played but not beaten, as well as Final Fantasy VII, but I'm sure it was a good game. I simply couldn't get into it, just as I couldn't get into VII.

I believe you said something about having Pokemon at one point, right? I'm sure you'll get along great with Attie, Anaris and myself, since we're the resident PokeNerds. Unfortunately, I can't find the charger for my Nintendo DS at the moment, so I'm pretty much out of the game. However, I'm still one of FOG's top Pokemon Scientists, so you can come to me any time if you have any questions or concerns involving the world of Pokemon!

Yes, I'm a huge nerd...

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your time here on FOG! I look forward to seeing you around!

Last edited by Weiss on Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weiss
Weiss
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:56 pm

Wow, I like where this thread is going, what with all the talk of Final Fantasy, Pokemon (I'm also a huge PokeNerd), and gaming in general. Those are pretty much my two favorite game franchises. I have played quite a bit of FF VII but then stopped after I got to the point where I could breed and race chocobos XP. I should probably finish that game sometime.

Anywho! Welcome, welcome, welcome to FOG! If you hadn't told us, I never would have guessed that English is your second language. You write more coherently in English than some of my friends, who are college peers and only speak English. I also love fantasy role-plays, and new ones start up all the time. I'm sure you'll find an RP that suits your fancy, or heck, you can always start your own! We've got a bunch of fantasy fans here as well who I'm sure would love to jump on board.

Enjoy your stay, and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions!
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:11 pm

Yes! you made it! High Five Welcome to the FOG, Miss Dagger!! cheers
I wish I'd played Final Fantasy games, now.
But ZELDA! Hyper Excited <--(see that? that's a squee. I'm allowed to squee for Zelda games. Giggle )
Headbang Muhaha

It looks like you've been enjoying yourself so far, MD. Hug
Have fun exploring the site! Hopefully we'll be able to role-play sometime. Nod

Welcome welcome welcome, and another cheers
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Attie Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:46 pm

Kalon, your emoticons send me for giggles ^^
Attie
Attie
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

http://confidencephotography.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:52 pm

Greetings, Miss Dagger! Here’s some advice so that you don’t get lost in there. (Sorry. I am, indeed, late with the links. On another note, my favorite Pokemon is Raichu.)

Hi everyone! Miss Dagger's time to say hello 13fe758e06

Welcome to Footsteps of Ghosts!

Check out our rules, etiquette and "What is FOG?" sections.

If you have any trouble using the forum itself, try the FAQ.

If you have any questions, our staff will be more than happy to assist you.

Take a moment to browse our fourms and perhaps find a role-play to your liking, a place to receive input on your works of literature or simply to converse with people of similar interests.
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:41 am

Weiss wrote:I believe you said something about having Pokemon at one point, right?
Indeed I did. I have pokemon pearl lying somewhere in my room. I think I know where it is. I have finished the Pokemon Red and Pokemon Yellow. Only tried silver and gold a little, never owned them. But jumped back on the wagon of pokemon with Pearl. And I have the decided to myself that I can't buy the latest pokemon game until I finish Pearl - and I just restarted that because I had forgotten everything about the story.

SilvanArrow wrote:If you hadn't told us, I never would have guessed that English is your second language. You write more coherently in English than some of my friends, who are college peers and only speak English.
Thank you, thank you, thank you. *bows*

Kalon Ordona II wrote:But ZELDA! Hyper Excited <--(see that? that's a squee. I'm allowed to squee for Zelda games. Giggle )
That is a squee alright! Very Happy The Zelda games are awesome. I have to buy Twilight Princess for my Wii, and even get some of the older games like Ocarina of Time (!) to Wii too.

Bird of Hermes wrote:(Sorry. I am, indeed, late with the links. On another note, my favorite Pokemon is Raichu.)
Alas, I had actually caught the links at another welcome post, but I thank you. I usually try to find all rules posts on new forums I join, because I know how irritating it is when people ignore them.
Raichu! Cool, my favorite is Pikachu! And Weiss said his was Pichu. We have the Pikachu tree of evolutions! ^^ Random coincidences for the win! (Hmm...excessive amounts of exclamation marks. Fits here though! Heh.)

Back to top Go down

Post by Weiss Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:21 am

Henceforth, we shall be known as, the ChuTrio! PikaTrio sounds better, but Raichu doesn't have "Pika" in his name. [Ponders.]

Perhaps that title needs a bit more work...
Weiss
Weiss
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:51 am

Welcome Miss Dagger.

Sorry I was so late saying hello.

Anyway, we are pleased to welcome you to fog, hope you enjoy your stay. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:12 pm

How about the Cheeky Trio? xD They do lightning from their cheeks, and they probably have to be cheeky at some point for Pikachu to yell "PIIKAAAAAAA" all the time. ^^

All the same, I guess it's not all that catchy...
How abouuuuut...

Triachu!
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:18 pm

I like Triachu. That's my title. Pikachu of the Triachu. Awesome!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:17 pm

Welcome to FoG, Felicia ((You have a lovely name, by the way.)).

I'm not much of a gamer, so we won't have that much in common. I wouldn't mind helping you with any English problems you may have, but you'll have to ask me directly to do it. I no longer randomly help people even if they say, "If you randomly see an error, tell me." I really only help proofread posts and short stories and things of that nature.

I can say that your English is very good. I've seen people with English as their first language who aren't half as good at writing it as you are.

Enjoy your stay. I look forward to seeing more of you.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:33 am

Kathryn Lacey wrote:Welcome to FoG, Felicia ((You have a lovely name, by the way.)).
Thank you. I like my name too, especially since it's not super common.

I think in many ways those that don't have English as their first language work harder to learn it. Not all, mind you, as not everyone is lazy with their first language. I can write as well in both languages, I just like English better.

Gaming doesn't define my life anymore. Beside this forum obviously I do tabletop role-play once a week. I really enjoy that too. Well, I guess that can be considered gaming.

I like to read a lot. Right now I'm reading Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. It's so good. I love novels with a lot of strategy in them, because I enjoy it. That's probably why I enjoy Redemption of Althalus the best of all David and Leigh Edding's books I've read.

My favorite author is Tamora Pierce, if anyone wondered after my talk about books.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:56 pm

I have a greater appreciation for names that aren't as common, but if something sounds and/or looks good, it may still be an impressive name. I both like the way yours looks when written and the possible pronunciation of it. How do you pronounce your name?

I was invited to do a Vampire: The Masquerade table-top game, but I decided against it. Improvisation isn't my cup of tea, so I don't think I'd enjoy it as much as I enjoy forum-based role plays.

I absolutely love the Ender's Game series. When you finish it, you should also read the Ender's Shadow series that's written from Bean's perspective. It was written to be read after the Ender's Game saga, but it's definitely worth the read. I haven't read anything else by Orson Scott Card, but I'd like to read more of his works in the future.

I've actually never heard of David and Leigh Edding or Tamora Pierce. Are there any books by them that you would recommend for someone just beginning to delve into works by those authors? Perhaps stand-alone novels in case one such as myself would be overly tempted to continue with a series even if I don't enjoy it as much as I could?

If you want a way to keep track of the books you read and maybe want to challenge yourself to read more, I would recommend you join the 50 Book Challenge I started on this site. It's not a competition between others. It's just a personal challenge, and it doesn't have to be fifty books. The lowest a list can contain is twelve books, but it doesn't actually matter if the challenge is completed. What matters is reading in general.

If you're interested, that thread is always accepting new participants.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by MoiraofWords Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:20 pm

Tamora Pierce is a wonderful author! But she hasn't written enough by now Sad I wish she'd write more of the circle reforged (which I think she did but my library didn't get). But Bekka is an interesting medium for the time.

Ever read Dianna Wynne Jones? She has some amusing books! And bonjour, formally as opposed to the irc.
MoiraofWords
MoiraofWords
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:31 am

Well, I added one of Tamora's books on my GoodReads shelf just to serve as a reminder if I ever get the chance.

I've never heard of Dianna Wynne Jones, but when I looked her books up on GoodReads, the only book that was listed was Firebirds: An Anthology of Original Fantasy and Science Fiction. I'm assuming the only thing she writes in that is a short story.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:54 am

Well, I'm not that good at phonetics, so therefore I searched for my name on a Swedish-English lexicon where you can get them to say the word you're searching for. ("Felicia" searched for on Tyda.se) Click on the speaker symbal beside Felicia on both, one is the more Swedish pronunciation (top if it looks the same) and the other the English. The Swedish one is a little off, putting too much weight on the first syllable, so the name doesn't flow as it should, but close enough.

Which is the book in the Ender's saga after Ender's Game? I'll need to get the books, can't do it until sometime next week.

For David Eddings (that's how the name is usually on the covers) and Leigh Eddings. Well they don't have many stand-alones, but one is Redemption of Althalus. The main character is a thief and there's intrigue, a little strategy and gods in the book. Otherwise I'd recommend the trilogy Elenium if you like knights and intrigues. It's all fantasy. David and Leigh plays with stereotypes, but they write so good and entertaining, it doesn't matter. And Althalus and Elenium is not as much as the others.

For Tamora Pierce. My favorite books by her are the ones set in her fantasy world Tortall. But all the first series are quartets, if not very long books by themselves. There is a later one that's a duology, and the one she's writing at the moment is a triology - journal form. Her writing gets stronger and stronger, and you don't have to read the books in order, although you'll get more context between characters if you do. But each quartet/series focuses on a new char, and they never have very much contact with earlier heroines. They are written to the "genre" Young Adult, or rather that age group, but I've enjoyed them anyway, because she's an excellent writer.
I can't decide which series I'd recommend first if not going chronologically. The duology is better read after the first three quartets...
There is the quartet Protector of the Small, beside the new series she is writing in journal form (only first and second book is out) that's my absolute favorite. You follow a girl becoming a knight, the first girl in a century. Well, that wasn't clad as a man through her whole education (which is the first quartet in Tortall where you follow Alanna).

Hi Moira! I haven't heard about Dianna Wynne Jones, I'll have to look her up when I get home Sunday. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:55 pm

I like the Swedish pronunciation a lot.

I just looked on Wikipedia, and I see that there are books in the series that I haven't read. ^;_;^

Click here for the full list.
After Ender's Game is Speaker for the Dead.

If I were you, I'd read it in the order in which they were written rather than chronological order because I heard that's the way Card intended for them to be read.

I'll definitely have to look for those books. They seem really interesting, and I haven't really gotten into as many fantasy books as I would like to read.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down