FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We The Writers

2 posters

Go down

We The Writers Empty We The Writers

Post by Guest Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:00 pm

I apologize for how obnoxious this may sound, but bear with me. I hate that so many kids my age (12-18) are "writing books". . . especially when, truthfully, they aren't that good at writing. I’m not trying to be harsh, just continue reading.

It's just. . . my life dream is to write a book, and I have quite a few friends who have also had that goal for a large chunk of their lives and have practiced and practiced heavily just as I, and many of you, have. We all focus on the mathematical part of learning, the un-fun unattractive stuff that makes writing appealing when we’ve finally completed it.

So when one of my friends call me, or an acquaintance IMs me and asks what's up, and I proudly state "I'm attempting to finish my book still, the usual. It‘s such an arduous task!"

And they go nonchalantly, "Pfft? Writing a book? That’s so easy! I've got one too. Here, take it." So I take it apprehensively, because anyone who says writing is easy has to be tiptoed around since they must be crazy. But also a little eager because it could be good. But then it’s horrible writing and their sentence structure is nonexistent and they can’t even spell or properly present dialogue and they act like it's easy as hell, talking about maybe sending it to a publisher. It’s times like those I seriously question my second goal of becoming a publishing editor, because they’d have to politely explain that their writing style needs improvement and then deal with a plethora of indignant would-be-but-can’t-be “writers”.

Oh, and then when they read mine and tell me a bunch of crap when they know nothing about writing, when they pretend that they could tell me “Maybe you should put in this and this. . .” UGH. I love input, especially from readers. But people that are only suggesting things to sound smug and as if they know what they’re talking about, or asking the significance of a foreshadowing. . .and then not knowing what foreshadowing is! Come on, doesn't that piss you off just a little?

I was complaining about this to my grandfather, and he said that I didn't have to read them, but that's not the point, it’s the principle! I always want to be able to read and critique and give advice, it’s what the people who think writing is easy SAY. So I just explained to him it's like how he works with the postal service. If someone went ( and people do) "You work at the post office? Oh that’s easy, a sissy job! Anyone can sort MAIL!” when it’s really a lot more difficult and complicated than that. It’s a specific series of tasks, just like the writing process, and most of the time they don't know what they're talking about.

It especially bothers me when they say that since they don't study sentence structure, grammar, or vocabulary, or slave over developing a character in a subtle but noticeably unique way and deriving original plot themes! They start from an unoriginal point and unwind with bad writing, and call it a book and themselves writers. To me a writer is someone who loves to write and who knows when they have difficulty presenting their stories with the written word and strive to improve. They’re the ones who focus on those annoying English class lessons in grammar and writing, who know that an anagram is NOT an acronym and that alliteration isn’t when someone litters (I’m not joking, I know people who’ve confused that). Writers are the ones who KNOW it’s not easy but do it anyways, who do all the difficult parts of it knowing that in the end the struggle will be worth it.

I don’t know about you, but writing has got to be one of the most grueling, challenging, and trying professions to pursue, especially since it’s not based on logic. Oh, the presentation is, (like I said it can be purely mathematical) but the creativity it takes and a willingness to subject to critiquing and needing to improve, that’s the tough part. Look around you at all the people here, practicing writing through roleplaying and practice, knowing that there is always room for improvement. These people, us, you and me: we are the real writers.

Back to top Go down

We The Writers Empty Re: We The Writers

Post by Gadreille Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:11 pm

Trust me, when they get to college they are going to have to wake up. Teachers and publishers alike will take one look at their materials and toss them in the garbage. Well, I suppose a teacher would give them a grade they deserve and tell them to re-write it or toss it in the garbage.

In that age group, many people think they can do anything, and only a few realize they have to actually work for it. When you get out into the real world (not that high school isn't real or isn't hard, but it is just not the same as college or the workforce) you will be prepared because you've worked hard and understand the parameters of your dream. Others are going to get slapped in the face, and they will either have to start from scratch, or give up.

Anyone can call themselves anything. It is an annoying but true fact of life. And unfortunately, anyone can write a book. It is the freedom of speech that is our right. However, not anyone can get published (some self publish, but how far do they usually get?) and even fewer will get recognized as the talented writer that they are NOT. You, however, have a better chance, and you will have to just console yourself with that.

Oh, and published editors don't talk nice or polite, they give it to you straight. So you shouldn't either!
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:22 pm

I love thinking I know it all then learning I don't! ^^ I'm not so self-absorbed as to totally look past the freedom of speech, and I'm not saying they should stop writing. My point was that they need to know that writing is hard and practice makes better. I realize now I sounded arrogant when writing that, but I was just tired of people telling me that it was easy when they really don't seem to understand. Please note that I am fifteen and we teenagers tend to burst forth with rants thinking they know all, pretty much being contradictory to what I was saying. What I was trying to get at was that not just kids even, people in general, need to know that nothing is easy in life, as you were saying. I wish that people could notice before it's too late that to produce something of high quality they need to put in high quality; meaning, simply, they must try.

My consolation is indeed that when they make it out to college they'll realize the difficult aspects of writing and learn how to improve. And I know that publishing editors give it to you straight, I'm not that naïve . It's just as a person, I'm still learning how to bluntly tell the truth with no sugarcoating, so I would see it is as hard on my personality to do so. Though obviously not at the moment! Smile

Thank you for responding and pointing out certain inconsistancies and taking me down from my high position. I just needed a place to vent an annoyance, and people to reason me down to a more humane level of dsibelief. I welcome criticism towards writing and my views. Again, there's always room for improvement.

Last edited by ButterflyMoon on Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:26 pm

Why some people get published and some don't and why some people get recognized and other don't, etc. is one of the greatest questions that has baffled my poor little brain in some time. It could be tied to my aversion to the television and popular magazines and the top 40 radio shows... But I am rambling now.

The fact is people can claim to be anything. Sometimes people believe them without much thought at all and then sometimes someone comes along with a fine microscope and a scalpel and rips them apart. It's the latter that I would like to see more of these days. We need more critics in this world. One of the faults of our time is that people don't know how to analyze things anymore. Many people have just lost the ability to think it seems sometimes. It is almost as if people have developed a blind eye to their own mistakes. It is because they never learn to truly analyze.

Last edited by Bird of Hermes on Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:28 pm

I actually didn't mean to sound that I was against you, I agree with your argument 100%, I guess my post was just tainted by my own personal perspective. If I was writing about the same thing at your age I would have sounded exactly like you!

I've heard of papers graded in college that were so bad, the TA didn't know how to grade it. It is unfortunate that these kids are allowed to get so far on such poor writing quality, which is no doubt the same in other aspects of their life.

I am also learning not to sugarcoat. It is a delicate balance, trying to be both truthful and polite, trying to be blunt but not a bitch! Unfortunately, those on the recieving end rarely appreciate the comments until much later in life, if at all. But it always pays off to tell the truth, even if it hurts.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:44 pm

Bird Of Hermes:

I'm pretty sure that it is one of the great mysteries of life, just after human nature of course! I just tend to be unwilling to accept this, or at least without a fight. I think people need to be known for their achievements and effort, and not think they can get by easily. Innocence is highly overrated, especially when it's false.

It is just that actually choosing to look at something but not see it. . . that baffles me. How can you not want to do your best, with or without recognition for it? In my opinion, people need to learn how to be critics, to analyze things. Because without being critical and breaking things down into pieces, there is no way to learn how to do it better and advance forward. It's like technology. We didn't just stick with the telephone, we took it apart and dissected it and sought to make it better, eventually getting the cell phone. But we don't stop there, we have constant improvements to them even today!

It's not that our time doesn't have enough analysts, it's just that we don't have enough analysts applying themselves to every one subject.

Ryona Noel:

Yes, I understood that you were agreeing with me, but I also realized that in my rush to dismantle what I considered unprofessional writing, I managed to put myself in an unsavory light that I didn't truly follow. I like to be clear in my explanations. The whole point of debate or discussion is to either change an opinion or enhance it, and what I was hoping for when I posted this topic was for my opinion to become enhanced. I like to look at everything all around and understand every piece, and you helped me realize a good point.

And I understand, I myself have received comments and criticism that I found disparaging at that moment in time, but now look on and appreciate them as subtle help towards expanding my abilities. I choose to lay things out in a biting manner, knowing full wellit's harsh but that the sting will get you noticed. So everyone needs a little nip to get them going towards the right path, the path to further enriching their capabilities.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down