FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is the meaning behind your avatar and signature?

+7
Ragter the junior greeter
Gadreille
Adrius Frostglare
ACK!
RedBaku
Kaito
Fate Flyer
11 posters

Go down

What is the meaning behind your avatar and signature? Empty What is the meaning behind your avatar and signature?

Post by Fate Flyer Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:42 am

So, I don't know about you guys, but my setups usually are pretty meaningful to me, whether they be of some of my favorite role-playing characters or they represent me in some way. Why did you choose/make the avatar and signature you currently have?

My current setup (the signature of which I drew) of the white eagle with the gold-tipped wings has a lot of meaning and significance behind it, though onenitedrive is really the only one that knows why. It's been something that I've kind of used from time-to-time as a trademark, using it in school logos for website projects or other such things. More than that though, the eagle itself goes back a long ways.

When I was a young kid, I was hugely into stuffed animals. They were my absolute favorite, and I played with them all the time. (I preferred animals over Barbies and dolls -- never played with those.) However, I wanted a cool eagle stuffed animal, and it was hard to find one. My mom bought me a small one from the zoo when I let her know that I really wanted an eagle, and that eagle sat on top of my curtains, in the middle of my two windows, in my bedroom since then. To this day, that eagle is still up there, watching over my bedroom like a silent guardian. When I was growing up, that eagle eventually took on a sort of persona. I named him Angelus, and I can't, for the life of me, remember why, but I know I wasn't trying to base him off Angel from Buffy (despite being a huge Buffy fan), because this was before I had the pleasure of watching that show.

I was raised as a Catholic, but even growing up I had my doubts. (Today, for those of you who know me, I am Agnostic.) I didn't like the idea of praying to God for some reason, and I can't explain it, but there were a lot of little things over the course of my life that were "coincidental," and it eventually (as a young teenager) led me to believe in a Way of the Universe, or basically fate. I started to visualize Fate as being Angeles, and then I made up that Angeles was Fate's real name. I don't know why, but I did, and instead of praying to God, I just would essentially hope for things to Fate, who I visualized as being Angeles, just so I had some form to imagine when I thought about it.

I don't remember when or how or why, but for as long as I can remember, Angeles (the eagle) was always white in my mind, but with gold-tipped wings and tail feathers (despite my stuffed animal of him being a regular bald eagle). If any of you have played God of War 2 though, there is an eagle in that that IS Angeles EXACTLY in a cutscene. He even has the gold-tipped tail feathers! I went so crazy when I saw that, and I remember I had been playing it in my fiancé Tony's bedroom in his dad's basement. I just freaked out, wondering what the hell my Angeles was doing in my game, and how they made him exactly as I had pictured him. At first, I was angry, because that meant that Angeles was no longer my creation. He was something someone else had visualized too somehow. Thinking about it now, I'm still a little upset about it, but I must admit, it was freakin' sweet seeing Angeles in a cinematic in a PS3 game! You can watch the clip of it with the eagle here on YouTube!

So, long story short, this eagle of mine was, basically, the personification of Fate for me for a great majority of my young life. I've never told anyone about this except Tony (mainly because I didn't think people would really care to hear the story!), so you guys are the first. Sorry if I bored you along the way though. xD

EDIT: Oh, and the Ingersoll quote is there not only because it fits perfectly, but also because that man is seriously my new hero, lol.

Last edited by Fate Foretold on Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:46 am; edited 2 times in total
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★

Female

http://trynethetimetraveler.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

What is the meaning behind your avatar and signature? Empty Re: What is the meaning behind your avatar and signature?

Post by Kaito Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:29 am

Eh?

My Avatar simply expresses my desire to get out of the ordered and ruled life of this world. For me, it shows a complete maniac, a freak. But a happy freak. Whatever he is doing, he is doing it because he wants to do it, and he doesn't care for consequences. It's an imagination I like to dwelve in, sometimes.
I realise I can't be like this in reallife, so I thought it appropriate to at least let the imagination free on FOG. Roleplaying deluxe.

Fate: thanks for the summary at the bottom: I admit I didn't read much of the rest. Razz
Kaito
Kaito
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

What is the meaning behind your avatar and signature? Empty Re: What is the meaning behind your avatar and signature?

Post by Fate Flyer Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:35 am

I like that, Kaito. Nod He is a very happy maniac.

Lol that's all right. The whole Youtube thing is probably the most interesting, if not ironic, bit of it all.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

http://trynethetimetraveler.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by RedBaku Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:39 am

Good question. To be honest, my avatar doesn't mean anything to me. Yet. I haven't really found one or someone to help me make one. As for my signature, it's from one of my favorite movies/books The Masque of Red Death.

Maybe I could find an avatar of something like Edgar Allan Poe-ish or something. Something dark, survival horror-es.

Love the dark.
RedBaku
RedBaku
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ACK! Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:28 pm

I'm never all that deep or meaningful... But I'll try to explain why for the past year, pretty much every avatar I've had has been Michael Showalter.

I enjoy being amused, and I enjoy not taking everything as seriously as I should. Sure, I get all >| a lot of the times, but after awhile I step back and just "lol that is so dumb" and try my best to drop it. The Stella guys have really helped me cope with a lot of shit that's been going on this year, and having Black and Sho stare at me every day with they're silly faces just makes me smile.

Plus, I like having eye candy every time I post. *nose bleed*
ACK!
ACK!
Mist
Mist

Female

http://www.surreality-rp.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrius Frostglare Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:22 pm

My avatar is merely a portrait of my main WoW character, Adrius Frostglare (affectionately nicknamed "Frosty the Snow Man" by many) and whose name I use for my own online identity here at FOG and elsewhere. To read his story, go here.

My sig? Well, mostly, it's just Ichigo from Bleach in his (uncontrolled) Hollow Form, mainly his black eyes with golden irises (which often I've pointed would be what the eyes of the Forsaken from WoW would look like). On a deeper level, it reflects my view of insanity, which I believe is simply a view differing from the norm of society... not that I agree or feel comfortable around the insane.
Adrius Frostglare
Adrius Frostglare
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

http://adriusfrostglare.deviantart.com/  (Deviant Art profile)

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:08 pm

Well, I just changed mine...Obviously, the new theme is District 9. I really enjoyed the movie, not only as a great sci fi film, nor as another PJ masterpiece, but also for the moral dilemma involved. It harnesses all of those feelings of prejudices and discrimination that humans place on each other today, and embodies them in an alien form.

The avatar is how I'd imagine myself as a prawn. It's got blue scale tone with purple eyes. The mothership is in the background. The writing says "Ryona Noel" in the made up alien font.

The signature is two meshed images of the entrance of District 9, set up when the alien's were first saved. It is a symbol of unity and peace, somehow still erect after 28 years of increasing prejudices and criminal activity. You'll notice MNU soldiers in the background, suggesting that District 9 did not achieve the unity it had originally been striving for. The alien language beneath just says "District 9".

I made both of these images by using photoshop to edit existing pictures found on the website D-9.com. The font is D-9 non-humans, found on the blog site MNU Spreads Lies.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragter the junior greeter Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:27 pm

I'll keep mine very, very short, since it's pretty obvious what mine is based on.

Mine is based on Sho Minamimoto, from The World Ends With You, simply because I like him for being pretty Axe Crazy, as TV Tropes puts it. He's a pretty cool guy too, he was able to come back from a level i flare, an attack that hits any level, both real and imaginary. You have to be pretty epic to be able to come back after that, and not weaker either, stronger instead.
Ghost
Ghost

Male

http://www.google.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:06 pm

My avatar / signature are both reflections of myself, tailored to FOG. ^_^
I can never decide if I'm more warrior or mage, so these are both. I also keep the avatar because it represents several hours of pixel art near the face, getting it very similar to mine.

The inclusion of my mage in the signature, making that tongue of flame, sparked (lol, sparked) the idea to set the words on fire. And then there's the Ordona crest, to fill the space and make it easier to see. It's actually slanted (because it's a large version of the brooch that fastens his cloak).
The mage himself began as a visualization of my Gaia avatar.
What is the meaning behind your avatar and signature? GaiakalonmageavvyWhat is the meaning behind your avatar and signature? Kalon_11

As for the avatar, it is a combination of five things, not including the background, which I got off Google.
Link's clothes from the Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, modified armor from Oscar of Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, "My" face, mithril, and pointy ears.

The mithril is homage to my enduring affiliation with the Mithril Knights of Evendim (even though for all intents and purposes the kinship is no more). The pointy ears are because I love elves--every bit of my personality is "elf," especially if we're talking Tolkien. ^_^ Oscar's armor because he's a lot like me and because it fits nicely. Link's clothes because I also identify with Link (as I'm sure many do), and because they're green. (The MIthril Knights of Evendim's kinship colors were "Silver, Green, and Gold.") And "my" face to make it completely unique to me and seal my identification with everything there. cheers

I've recently updated my signature to include a section of the FOG banner as the background. ^_^ Also, thanks to Kathryn Lacey's border-prodding, I've added stylish borders inspired by the recent updates to FOG itself, and a similar border to the avatar, as well. Thanks for the tip, Kathryn! I hope you like the border! cheers
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:39 pm

Well, I didn't make my avatar or signature...Ryona Noel made them for me. But they do have a deep meaning for me. Growing up, the band Pink Floyd was the only real connection I had with my father, since I never really saw him. I knew he liked Pink Floyd because my few memories of me being with him are playing Pink Floyd in the background Headbang

As I grew up, despite the fact that I have started to despise the man that is my father, I have a strong affinity for Pink Floyd's music. As I've heard somewhere before (and I can no longer remember where), it "tugs at my heartstrings." I think it might be because listening to Pink Floyd makes me remember what it was like to have a father figure.

The Wall was my favorite album growing up, but it was really the only one I had access to. The words in my avatar "tear down the wall," are part of my favorite line of lyrics.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunni Ookami Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:11 pm

My avatar is of Sakura from Street Fighter 4.

Well, that's it really. I think Sakura is cute and the move she does in this picture is really cute, too. She's just a b***h to contorl! D< Always [mumble mumble]. Anyways, I was thinking about changing it to Asuka from Tekken because she's hawt. But I never have yet.

I usually have random sketches as my avatars. But I haven't had any means of getting my latest sketches onto my computer (i.e. a scanner). So, I just get random images from google, crop it and size it.

My sig? Well, that made me ROFL when he said it. Just a normal conversation then BAM! Grandpa balls...
Sunni Ookami
Sunni Ookami
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Anemone Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:30 am

Well...

A: I swear the pink haired girl is my anime lookalike (disbelieve me allllll you want)

B: It was a gift.

C: The siggy is of the single funniest character i have ever seen, and well... theres about enough art of her to fill a smarties box if all the pictures were printed at full size and shoved into said box. She also suffers from the same speech issue as one of my RP characters.
Anemone
Anemone
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by vitamin_kitten Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:45 am

My avatar matches my screen name? I guess? And my signature, which I just changed, was something I recently said, and I was amused by myself, so ... there you have it. ^^; My screen name has a much more interesting backstory, but that's nto what this thread is about. XD
vitamin_kitten
vitamin_kitten
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down