FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alter/Alyss [finished short story]

Go down

Alter/Alyss [finished short story] Empty Alter/Alyss [finished short story]

Post by ImmortalSin Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:07 am

I don't do much writing apart from role playing, but when my english teacher asked me to enter something into a short story competition I decided to throw something together. Here's the finished product.

Enjoy, and if you want to comment please post here or send me a message.

Alter/Alyss

Picture this: a circular room, its walls completely transparent, and the glass so thick that it would take some kind of demolition ball to even make a dent. It was isolated – a prison of sorts. Except the one confined within had committed no crime.

This place was now what I called home.

My eyes opened slowly, my pupils shrinking from the glare of the lights above me. Somewhere close by, a machine beeped softly, measuring my heart rate. The smell still lingered in my nostrils - sedative - the only thing that allowed them to get anywhere near me. I hadn't slept in years. At least, not of my own accord. The gas was their only real line of defence. Lucien refused to harm me, even after all of the deaths I'd caused in my time here. He still loved me. No, not me. He still loved Alyss.

I was only five years old, but the body I inhabited was in her late teens. Her name was Alyss Maree Faulkner, and she was the reason for my existence. The daughter of Fredric Faulkner had fallen ill when she was just fourteen years of age. He had visited every doctor in the state, tried every form of treatment, but to no avail. Alyss grew weaker, and her death became inevitable. Faulkner's neighbour, having witnessed his anguish, offered him another alternative; in his desperation, he agreed to the procedure, believing that anything would be better than losing his only child.

The young Lucien had remained by my bedside throughout the entire procedure. He had witnessed my birth, and the series of events that soon followed it.

I took control of her, destroyed my creator, and soon after, I was captured. Though Alyss still lived, and her illness seemed to have dissipated, Fredrick’s daughter had been lost in the process. He'd ordered Lucien to remove me from her, but it was impossible. So, he then decided to disown me, and have me killed instead. Lucien agreed, but his promise was nothing but a lie. Five years later and here I was, confined to a glass cell, constantly monitored, and treated as though I was some monster, a mistake. They'd given me the name, Alter. It was an inside joke.

You see, although I hadn’t exactly been planned, I had been bound to appear sooner or later. Lucien’s father was an intelligent man. He’d witnessed the post traumatic stress that his country’s soldiers had to deal with, and it had inspired him. He thought to himself, what if after their return, they could simply… forget? So he created an alternate persona, someone to witness the horrors of war, someone who could remain strong throughout it, and finally, someone who could be easily disposed of. Alyss was merely a trial; a trial that had ultimately led to his failure, and demise.

Taking a deep breath, I finally sat up on the hard bench, my eyes still adjusting to the brightness of the room. White. It was everywhere. I hated the colour.

"I thought you could try drawing me something, like you used to when we were younger." My head snapped in the direction of the voice, though when I found the source I was no longer surprised. He was safely seated behind the thick glass, in front of a computer of sorts. His gloved hands were intertwined, his chin resting on top of them. His gaze still possessed the same curiosity he'd displayed the first time I'd met him. Something was strange though. He was smiling.

"You were murmuring in your sleep... you've never done that before." A frown creased my brow, and I rose to my feet, casting a cold glare in his direction. I heard him sigh, but something else had now caught my attention. A notepad and pen rested on the ground in front of me. He really expected me to use these? Imbecile.

"Your stats were quite abnormal this evening. Are you ill?” I ignored his question as I persistently scribbled a picture on the notepad. When I was finished a cruel smirk crept onto my lips. It was almost time. I could feel it. I moved towards him, pressing the paper to the glass so that he could view my masterpiece. He mumbled in disappointment, "Definitely not ill." The picture was of a doctor, being strangled by a beautiful young woman. It was my fantasy; it helped keep me sane. A few numbers also adorned the page.

"The numbers, what do they mean?" He inquired, quirking an eyebrow.
"Today's date, is it not?" The startled look on his face caused my heart to flutter contentedly. He was scared. He felt threatened by me. Not once had he ever mentioned the time, or the date around me. And yet, I knew I was right.

"I-Impossible..." He stammered, pushing his seat out behind him, rising to his full height. I threw the notepad to the floor, my palm rested against the cool glass, my eyes glinting with malice and feigned anxiety. "Is something the matter, doctor?" I responded calmly, placing a false look of concern on my face.

Lucien was practically alone at this time of night. The rest of my so called caretakers had retired to their own quarters. They weren't due back for almost another hour. "Five years Lucien... it's time I saw more of the world. Don't you think?" The young man was trembling slightly, his eyes wide with fear. A snarl cut through his boyishness, his fist slammed against the desk in front of him, "No, there is no possible way for you to escape! I took the utmost care when it came to constructing this place - you're lying!"

Suddenly the entire place was engulfed by darkness. The power had failed. Two heartbeats could be heard in the silence - mine and his. The glass shattered, and my hand wrapped around his throat. His feet were no longer touching the ground; he squirmed in my grasp. "Your time is up. I'm sure your father will be happy to see you." Both of his hands struggled to pull him free, but I was far too strong. It was useless for him to even try. He gasped, trying to speak, but all that came out was a painful rasp. Was he pleading with me?

I growled under my breath, increasing the pressure, "How dare you..." By this time his face was paling in colour, the life was fading from his eyes, he no longer kicked and his hands had fallen back to his sides. But he managed one word, the word that would change everything. "Alyss..." he breathed, his voice barely audible. It was enough for her to hear. And for the first time in five years, two heart beats sounded inside of me, and I lost control.

Lucien fell at my feet, remaining still, though I could hear him breathing. The lights flickered back on and the power returned. I was confused. Where was I? Who was this man at my feet? Why had I been... Run! A voice in my head ordered.

Alyss did as she was told.

ImmortalSin
ImmortalSin
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down