FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This just freaked me out... O_O

+4
Gadreille
Kalon Ordona II
Kathryn Lacey
Fate Flyer
8 posters

Go down

This just freaked me out... O_O Empty This just freaked me out... O_O

Post by Fate Flyer Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:41 pm

http://viscog.beckman.illinois.edu/grafs/demos/15.html

Don't read until AFTER you've watched the video.
Spoiler:
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★

Female

http://trynethetimetraveler.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

This just freaked me out... O_O Empty Re: This just freaked me out... O_O

Post by Kathryn Lacey Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:32 pm

hahahah
Spoiler:

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:33 pm

Someone told me about this before, so unfortunately I was unable to experience the selective attention and miss the gorilla. Sad

But this whole thing is amazing!
I wonder if there are any other, similar tests. Very Happy
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:34 pm

Does the fact that this didn't work on me mean that I have a horrible attention span? Or is it just my

Spoiler:

that triggered my attention? *sigh* I'll never know. I feel like I am missing out...
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:35 pm

hahahah I think it's great that you were able to see it! Were you able to count the right number of passes at the same time?

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:40 pm

No, I had to watch it twice to get the number of passes right. Apparently my brain is easily distracted from its task!
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:42 pm

Ah. I see. I always count the right number of passes, but the first time, I missed the gorilla completely. However, it's well known that I have extremely selective attention. Misery always notices things that I don't. I've never seen a shooting star for this reason, too, even if I've been staring at the sky when someone else saw it. It sucks. ._.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:46 pm

Oh wow, I guess I can see how selective attention could have its downfalls. It defintely has its pluses as well though. I have really bad eyesight, and tend to rely on peripheral vision and movement glimpses to infer what I am seeing (when my glasses aren't on, or say, when I'm driving at night and can't see very well). It makes me great at skimming and I guess seeing shooting stars
Spoiler:
but my concentration is definitely not where yours is XD
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Christoph Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:20 am

Spoiler:
Christoph
Christoph
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dreamless Days Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:34 am

I dunno if it's just my selective Gamer genes, but I was able to count the correct amount of passes AND see the gorilla (The MOMENT it stepped into frame, I muttered "Why is there a gorilla? *still counting*"). The reason I mention my gaming maybe helping with this is because I need to count on noticing slight movements from various unexpected places while keeping track of what I need to keep track of. For example, trying to avoid/destroy EDF Troops while noticing out of the corner of my eye that there is a small green dot that occasionally pulses on my mini map meaning one of the hidden recordings is on the cliff over the hill.

Note: This was the first time I have seen this clip, or anything else like it. Haha.
Dreamless Days
Dreamless Days
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Raspeyer Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:31 am

Oiy, we did a section on allocation of the brain's resources in one of my psychology classes. There was a video where a man asks for directions and then a couple of men carrying a large piece of dry wall pardon themselves between them. The man asking for directions and one of the men carrying the board secretly and quickly switch places and the women subject doesn't even notice. Haha. The brain is so focused on the task it's given it's real easy to miss stuff. The mind is a wonderfully puzzling thing.

This video I've seen before. I did catch the gorilla but as for the passes, if I didn't know what to look for I probably wouldn't have counted them right.
Raspeyer
Raspeyer
Mist
Mist

Female

http://holly.clonestyle.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:38 am

Christoph wrote:
Spoiler:
lol!

Dreamless Days wrote:I dunno if it's just my selective Gamer genes, but I was able to count the correct amount of passes AND see the gorilla (The MOMENT it stepped into frame, I muttered "Why is there a gorilla? *still counting*"). The reason I mention my gaming maybe helping with this is because I need to count on noticing slight movements from various unexpected places while keeping track of what I need to keep track of. For example, trying to avoid/destroy EDF Troops while noticing out of the corner of my eye that there is a small green dot that occasionally pulses on my mini map meaning one of the hidden recordings is on the cliff over the hill.

Note: This was the first time I have seen this clip, or anything else like it. Haha.
It's funny you mention being a gamer, because that's something that came to my mind too. However, I looked at it from the selective attention point of view. When I'm really into a game, nothing can distract me. People will have to repeat themselves multiple times for me to hear and comprehend them. I also get really focused on the task at hand (whether it's taking down a boss, solving a puzzle, or just surviving), so I don't let other distractions in the game take my attention away from what I'm trying to accomplish.

However, I also could see how being a gamer might also alert you to all your surroundings, even while you're trying to focus. This especially might be a gamer skill acquired from multi-player games in which enemy players can come in at any moment to take you out, even if you are concentrating on taking out a member of their team.

I showed Axiom the video, and he completely missed the gorilla too. Laughing He didn't believe it either, and I told him I had to rewind the video to verify it was actually there at all, and he had to do the same thing!
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dreamless Days Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:50 am

Fate Foretold wrote:It's funny you mention being a gamer, because that's something that came to my mind too. However, I looked at it from the selective attention point of view. When I'm really into a game, nothing can distract me. People will have to repeat themselves multiple times for me to hear and comprehend them. I also get really focused on the task at hand (whether it's taking down a boss, solving a puzzle, or just surviving), so I don't let other distractions in the game take my attention away from what I'm trying to accomplish.

However, I also could see how being a gamer might also alert you to all your surroundings, even while you're trying to focus. This especially might be a gamer skill acquired from multi-player games in which enemy players can come in at any moment to take you out, even if you are concentrating on taking out a member of their team.

Now that you mention it, there have been numerous times were I might be concentrating as hard as I can on a game (Mostly if I try the highest difficulties, those generally requiring constant attention), and I realize that people have been walking past me, obscuring my view of the screen for vast amounts of time, and I haven't noticed a single person once. In my eyes, I was alone in the room the entire time. So, I guess for me at least, it fluctuates on being very aware of my surroundings and having a TOTAL lack of awareness. Haha. Very Happy

Oh, btw, here's the follow up to the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGQmdoK_ZfY
Trust me, it's also worth a look. Especially if you've seen the first one already. ^_^
Dreamless Days
Dreamless Days
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:51 am

I'm in the group that saw the gorilla. I pretty much saw it as soon as there was movement coming into the frame. My mind was like. "6....7..Who is that coming in?...8..9...Heh. Gorilla. 10...11." Not quite sure that that means for myself. But I thought it was rather clever experiment.

Spoiler:
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:28 pm

hahahahah! I fail so hard, Dreamless!

Spoiler:

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:28 pm

Dreamless Days wrote:Oh, btw, here's the follow up to the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGQmdoK_ZfY
Trust me, it's also worth a look. Especially if you've seen the first one already. ^_^
Spoiler:
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:35 am

Spoiler:
Kalon Ordona II