FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fast-paced zombie role-play revival

+2
Mojave Wanderer
Artorius
6 posters

Go down

Fast-paced zombie role-play revival Empty Fast-paced zombie role-play revival

Post by Guest Sun May 29, 2011 12:18 am

This will be a relatively fast-paced zombie role-play, based off of the world of the graphic novel The Walking Dead. The idea is not for a small group of characters to survive from the beginning of the story to the end, but to constantly introduce new characters and have them meet their inevitable fate in the jaws of a zombie or at the hands of another deranged human being. Each player will start out with 1-3 characters. Introduction posts will start out from a specific point after the outbreak, because I don’t want long introduction posts detailing the moment of the outbreak until now to slow down the beginning of the role-play. And besides, those kinds of stories are always better when told orally, as stories but in-character.

A small percentage of characters will not survive more than a few days. A larger percentage of characters will not survive more than a few months. Possibly 100 percent of the characters will not survive to the end of the story. There will be a lot of survivors out there, so we will always have the opportunity to introduce new ones when our previous characters are killed off. We just need to think of interesting ways to introduce them into the story.

As for the character sheets, they shouldn’t be too long or descriptive. Don’t burn yourself out or become too attached to a single character. The way zombie encounters work will be behind-the-scenes dice rolls. I know it isn’t really fair to have to rely on me saying who does and does not die, but it really isn’t fun for me to lie about it. I prefer the unreliability of chance.

So here is an example encounter (using characters from The Walking Dead).
Rick, Morgan, Carl, and Dale are traveling on foot to the police station in a nearby town, which Rick has the keys to. They reach the police station with little resistance, shooting any zombies that get in their way. However, the gun shots attract more of the nearby zombies, and on their return trip they encounter a full horde blocking their path. The characters have the decision to circumnavigate the horde or to try and press through them, relying on their speed and wit to make it through.
At this point I will be rolling the dice to see who survives and who doesn’t. Unless they are multiple specific mini-encounters within the overall encounter, I will only be rolling the dice once for each character. A mini-encounter example would be Rick having to go back into the horde to try and save his son Carl. He then risks dying again, and thus another dice roll.

If unlucky dice rolls end up killing off all of the characters, I will decide who has the greatest chance of survival until meeting up with the next (currently unannounced) survivors. That character will defy the dice roll and survive…for now. However, if there is still another group of players elsewhere and everyone in this group dies…well that’s it. Again, I don’t want anyone to get too attached to their characters, because there will be deaths. Lots of deaths. This is, after all, a zombie role-play.

As far as bad dice rolls go…I will PM the result of each roll to each character involved. That way the player can decide how their character dies, and it will still be a surprise to the rest of the players. This way it will feel a bit more seamless and less like a board game. Hopefully.

Anyone interested?

Example Character (from The Walking Dead series)

Name: Rick Grimes
Pre-Outbreak Occupation: Police Officer
Appearance: White male with blue eyes, blond hair, 5'6".
Descriptive Keywords (personality, skills, etc): A natural leader with experience in handling firearms and enforcing security.

Its really simple. Most of the character will be developed in the story itself, if they last long enough for that.

Back to top Go down

Fast-paced zombie role-play revival Empty Re: Fast-paced zombie role-play revival

Post by Artorius Sun May 29, 2011 1:08 am

sounds interesting, I'm in should this come to fruition
Artorius
Artorius
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Fast-paced zombie role-play revival Empty Re: Fast-paced zombie role-play revival

Post by Mojave Wanderer Sun May 29, 2011 1:16 am

I'm in because I basically forced you to start it Laughing
Mojave Wanderer
Mojave Wanderer
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Artorius Sun May 29, 2011 1:17 am

OH! I have one quick question I forgot to mention. Do we need knowledge of the Walking Dead to play?
Artorius
Artorius
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 29, 2011 11:08 am

No, no knowledge of that is necessary. I used it as a base for explanation simply because I had just finished reading it when I decided to make this (the first time, quite a while ago).

Back to top Go down

Post by Dio the Awesome Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:05 pm

I remember reading the first volume, and I quite liked it. I also like this idea, count me in. Is there an OOC or anything else up?
Dio the Awesome
Dio the Awesome
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:27 pm

Not yet. He was waiting for more interest. I'm not in this (yet) but thought I would answer your question since Silvone will be gone all day today (and I'm, y'know, his right hand woman).
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:38 pm

Yeah, I am waiting on more interest. But I think four people might be enough to get it started. I am hoping that if I get it started, and people see just how awesomesauce it is, we'll find more people doing the happy-new-zombie-food dance.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hello Danger Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:16 pm

Very interested. I've been needing something to get my creative juices going. I think this would be perfect to get the ball rolling.
Hello Danger
Hello Danger
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:28 pm

Thumbs Up

I will bother Silvone into putting up an OOC asap (but he's working long hours, so asap is not going to be that soon). Hopefully, in a couple of days.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Torturous Flame Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:27 am

Sounds awesome. Consider me in.
Torturous Flame
Torturous Flame
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:15 pm

Yeah! Interest!

Unfortunately, I have been rather busy. I will do my best to have the OOC up no later than Tuesday.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:11 am

Sorry about the delay. I haven't forgotten this yet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dio the Awesome Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:07 pm

No worries, I likely won't have internet access again until Monday.
Dio the Awesome
Dio the Awesome
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:50 pm

The OOC is up! The title is "Life Sucks and Then You Die..." Lets move all discussion to that thread, please.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:01 pm

I'm asking it here so as to not clutter the other thread...should everyone have their own character index post or are they all going into yours?
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:28 pm

You can all have your own, obviously, and I will just compile it into the main one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down