FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kalon/Sunwolf/Forbidden

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Kalon/Sunwolf/Forbidden Empty Kalon/Sunwolf/Forbidden

Post by Kalon Ordona II Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:44 am

Alrighty, first off, let's each reserve three posts for this thing.
After that, I'll post what we have so far. Very Happy

Here's mine.
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Kalon/Sunwolf/Forbidden Empty Re: Kalon/Sunwolf/Forbidden

2nd reserve.
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

3rd reserve.
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunwolf007 Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:35 pm

First reserve.
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Location : Greater Grand Rapids area, US of A ( last time I checked)

Back to top Go down

Second reserve.
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Back to top Go down

third reserve.
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:20 pm

Alrighty, *rubs hands together* let's begin! ^^

Step 1: Figure out what we each want out of this.
Step 2: Combine, cancel and multiply.
Step 3: Build the setting.
Step 4: Characters and (rough?) plot.
Step 5: Polish
Step 6: Go! ^^

Step 1.
So far we're thinking of a medieval fantasy, but that could change at any time. (or it might not. ^^)

We all seem to like deep characters with lots of development, so we'll call that a given.

If it's a fantasy, I think it'd be great fun to make up a totally new magic system between the three of us. Very Happy

Anyway, for my part, here are a few things I'd like to try, since I've never done these in a role-play before.
  • larger fairies (since it's always bothered me that fairies were tiny; there aren't enough atoms there to make a brain that supports intelligence at that size)
  • forest imps (about child-size). They could be unique, somehow. I've never really tried them in a RP before, so they might be fun.
  • relatively small dragons (like, wolfhound size, as opposed to ride-able size)
  • gryphons. I keep trying to use gryphons in RPs, but they seem to get overlooked. It might be nice to give 'em some limelight. ^^
  • new creatures. Because it's oh-so-VERY-much fun coming up with stuff like that.

I'm sure we'll all think of more as we start discussing things. ^^

Here are some things Forbidden mentioned (if I'm interpreting them right).
  • make up a caste system.
  • creative world.
  • new, diverse races.
  • cool religions and cultures.

Also, he may have a cool design for some sort of dragon hybrid to show us. Very Happy

Looking forward to your ideas, Sunwolf! Very Happy

Also, we haven't delved into plot preferences yet, but that'll probably fall into place once the setting starts to come into focus. ^^

Forth!! Lance
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Forbidden Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:34 pm

Awesome. This sounds like it is going to be pretty cool. ^^

You interpreted me just fine my friend. However, for the dragon hybid, that was just me rambling. I do have a race like that, but I used it quite frequently and it's a plot for a personal story, so I'd rather create something new for this role-play. If you guys still want to see it for a base line, that's perfectly fine as well. ^^ I don't mind adding in larger fairies, small dragons, and gryphons into to mix.
Forbidden
Forbidden
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunwolf007 Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:49 pm

Well, just a suggestion here but what about Greek mythology. I know I keep throwing that out there but here me out first.

In Greek mythology there were numerous spirits as well as dragons, gryphons and other beasts. If we take the whole religious system as well it has a whole list of gods and goddesses that are quite diverse. I can give a link to a whole list of deities and spirits. Plus 'medieval' (Middle ages is the proper term but I digress) seems overdone to me as every fantasy I can think of uses 'medieval' tech. I was kind of hoping to get something going with some different sort of tech like Spartan weaponry. We could even use Roman tech if we wanted but I just feel that epic sword fights are way overdone. Why not use a spear or a dolabra? Anyway I have kind of given up hope on launching my RP so why not use some of the research I did in this?

dolabra
Kalon/Sunwolf/Forbidden T_AH3936

I have no problem with throwing in magic as I usually make characters with certain abilities. On thing I would really like to try is the whole idea of active gods and goddesses in human affairs which is much unlike Christianity. As of yet I have no idea on how to integrate magic in but I think we could come up with something. I have an old casting system we may want to look into from a former RP but its pretty complex and takes some getting used to as well as being unfinished. Just throwing it out there.

Anyway those are my thoughts. What do you guys think?
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Forbidden Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:44 pm

I think that would be cool! Having some of the Greek and Roman Gods and Goddesses and stuff. I would love to hear what you have for your caste system. We could always change things around for this role-play. As for Godly intervention and magic abilities, I have an idea. If the person was 'blessed' (I use that term cautiously) by the Gods, they have abilities. It could be a gift that was passed on through blood.
Forbidden
Forbidden
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:49 am

Ooooh, good idea, you two! This is already building; I can feel it! xD

Alrighty, let's see... *starts free-typing*
I've had this vague concept/idea in the back of my mind I've been wondering how to try, and now that you two are mentioning mythology, caste, and hereditary blessings, it's opened something of a floodgate. ^^

Let me know what you think of this idea, and by all means add, subtract, and/or multiply.

It all hinges on an awesomification* of the idea of the Mark that God put on Cain in the Bible. A blessing from, let's say, one of our gods/goddesses/supernatural beings would create a unique Mark which has different effects depending on the intent behind it, its depth in the skin/muscle/flesh, and its proximity to certain organs -- most notably the heart.

*awesomification: n, the act or result of making something awesome. See awesomify**.
**awesomify: v, to make something awesome

Some common attributes of these Marks might include, say....
  • Divine patronage. The person's Fate (which we should totally awesomify) would be linked to that god(ess)/supernatural being.
  • Natural upgrades. Stronger arm, stronger heart, longer life, sharper mind, healing, and so on, depending on what sort of Mark it is and where it is placed. Level of upgrade is in direct proportion to the proximity of the Mark to, say, the heart -- which would include a lot of danger and commitment.
  • Hereditary properties. Marks would be passed down, but they'd fade a bit over time, wearing out by the, say, third or fourth generation, depending on the type and strength of the Mark.
  • A dose of Fate. Influence over others, kinda, maybe? Like sort-of a "touch of destiny," à la Pirates of the Carribbean. Or, like, a bit more sway when dealing with Fate, if (s)he's a person.

Thoughts?
I haven't thought of a magic system yet, but I think, if we go with these Marks, we could justifiably put a HUGE focus on Heritage when we make our cultures. Marks would also naturally establish an intricate Caste system. xD
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunwolf007 Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:20 am

I am liking the idea of children being born with marks provided by the gods and through their linage (by being blessed or chosen by the gods) they gain certain abilities. What if those abilities were only of their god or goddess? For instance if you were of Zeus lineage you would be able to control the weather and have lightning at your command. Or if you were of Apollo lineage you could heal others. Have the magic system based on what lineage you are. What I learned is that there was a god or goddess for everything.

I also like the idea of abilities being passed down through the generations but not forever. Like Kalon said after a few generations a god or goddess must reaffirm the lineage otherwise it would vanish. Puts a focus on the bearers of the marks for doing the gods work otherwise your family will blame you for the loss of favor among the gods.

Now onto cultures. Are we picking up the Greek culture all together or are we making our own based on their religious system? I don't mind either way but I think it would be easier to make our own. Another important question is: Are there other religions? If so we would have to take into consideration what their effect is and how people view those religions.

Now onto the level of civilization and technology. What type of civilization are we doing? Something based in modern day? Something based on a different time period? Are we making our own time line? If we are making our own type of civilization we need to decide what level technology is at. Here is what I propose to make things easy and understandable. We make our own civilization and have the technology at the same place as in the Roman Empire before the collapse of the Western Empire. Or rather the classic idea of what Rome was with the aqueducts and Roman legions across most of Europe. The infrastructure is close to what we have today in terms of layouts for cities. Big cities will have running water, public baths and a whole host of products for people to buy. If you live in some out of the way village smaller room houses and no running water would be normal. This basically gives us a whole host of weapons to choose from and the bonus is that the longsword as we know it didn't exist. The longest sword would be 3 feet long with most swords measuring in at 2 feet. The idea was that combat systems worked better with a versatile amount of weapons. The Spartans used a spear, sword and shield as weapons. If you could block or deal with one the idea was that you could switch and keep the enemy off balance or find something they were weak at defending again (Well, this is just my speculation but it does make sense). Anyway like I said this opens up a lot of weapons without us having the 5 feet swords of the middle ages. Plus Roman era tech was better than middle ages tech.

Well, those are my thoughts. What do you guys think?
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:35 am

Let's make up our own, so we don't have to worry about whatever the Greeks thought was cool. ^^ That way we get to have whatever WE want. xD

I'm fine with other religions. And it looks like Sunwolf has a lot of knowledge about how things worked, so that'll be a definite plus for the world-building.

I think it's time for Step 2: Combine, Cancel-out, and Multiply! xD

Here's my rough review of Step 1, what we all want.

-------------------------------------
~ STEP 1, Round 1 ~

KALON
larger fairies
forest imps
smallish dragons
gryphons
new creatures

FORBIDDEN
caste system
creative world
new, diverse races
cool religions and cultures

SUNWOLF
greek tech
active pantheon
ability-based magic

~ STEP 1, Round 2 ~

KALON
divine Marks
Marks-based caste system
heritage-focused culture
Fate

FORBIDDEN
hereditary divine blessings

SUNWOLF
unique Marks from each divinity
divine expectations in exchange for some Marks
other religions
Roman tech
varied weaponry
-------------------------------------

So, with all that to work with, here's my take on how it all goes together.

=====================
COMBINE:
larger fairies
forest imps
smallish dragons
gryphons
new creatures
caste system
creative world
new, diverse races
cool religions and cultures
Greek tech
active pantheon
ability-based magic
divine Marks
Marks-based caste system
heritage-focused culture
Fate
hereditary divine blessings
unique Marks from each divinity
divine expectations in exchange for some Marks
other religions
Roman tech
varied weaponry

CANCEL-OUT:
Creative World
Fate
Active Supernatural Realms
--Gods/Goddesses
--Fairies (large-ish ones)
--Imps (and other mischievous sprites)
Hereditary Divine Blessings
God-specific Blessings
Divine Pacts
Diverse Races
Diverse Religions
Cultures
--Caste system
--Other
Greek + Roman Tech
Varied Weaponry
Non-Divine Magic
Diverse Creatures
--Dragons (both large and small)
--Gryphons
--Other

MULTIPLY:
  • We should make much or most of the world ourselves, without drawing overmuch from the real world.
  • Fate should play a role, and should be manipulateable by humans in varying degrees depending (perhaps) on divine favor.
  • The Supernatural realms are intimately related with the Natural realms. There are appearances by Gods and Goddesses, midget-sized Fairies, Imps (and imp-like things like fairy-tale Trolls), and possibly even some Dragons and other things.
  • Divine Blessings and Favor can combine and multiply to become Divine Marks, tattoo-like images that confer different effects upon the Marked individual. These Marks have varying degrees of Effect, Danger, Responsibility, Fate, and Heritage, all directly related to one another.
  • With the presence of Marks comes naturally a desired caste system. The higher/greater Marked vs. the lower/lesser Marked. One can be marked by different things--possibly even things like imps and dragons. The idea of loyalties should be explored. Complex status ladders would be inevitable--and enjoyable to employ. There are many different categories of Marks; some of them God-specific and mass-produceable, leading to the idea of Marked armies and holy war. There might be supernatural beings over certain locations. There might be negative or forced Marks. Multiplication is taking place.
  • Some of the highest forms of Marks would be Divine Pacts. Just those two terms together--the Mark of the Pact--generates a flood of imagery and possibilities. Multiplication.
  • This is feeling like a Human world, and that the Races should, as on Earth, be different types of Humans.
  • Other Magics and Cultures and Religions should exist.
  • The Era and Tech level, the general feel, should be Greco-Roman. There should be myriad types of weapons, most of them different from anything oriental or medieval.
  • Other Creatures should exist, great and small, dragons, gryphons, and more.

=====================

Thoughts? Very Happy
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunwolf007 Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:18 pm

Your multiply list sounds pretty spot on. I already had a character based on that Greek RP idea I had so my character is practically already made. A few tweaks and I am set to go character wise.

So what's the next step in setting up the world? We pretty much have got the outline down so next work on cities? I was kind of thinking that each city would have its own culture depending on which god or goddess was the protector of the city. Kinda like how the Athenians were protected by Athena. I would imagine that the Spartans would be Ares and that a city next to the ocean would be Poseidon. I would assume that if we go with this idea people looking to gain the mark of Poseidon would have to go to the major temple in the major city and gain it there. Also was thinking that priests in the major temples would be the ones able to reproduce marks.

Here is a link to a list of Greek mythological figures. Its a pretty full list so its pretty easy to reference what you need. Are we going to have more deities from other cultures? If so we should probably establish them now while we are working on cultures. Anyway that's all I could think of right now. What are your guys' thoughts?
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:39 pm

We could translate Greek people into our own, but we'd need to have a system to hang it on, first.

Before moving to Step 3, we really ought to wait for Forbidden, to see what he thinks about the status quo. ^^

What we'll want to do, once Step 2 is cleared, is focus on world-building, so we have a stage to display the stuff in the list. We'll need supernatural realms most of all, and coming up with that first will be a good way to set the tone for the rest, since it's looking like these Marks are going to be a heavy focus, even if they don't drive the main plot (which they very well might).

Origins is a good place to start. If we figure out the building blocks of everything, the foundation, then we'll have a more stable ride.

I'll cut off my thought process for now, though, before I end up diving prematurely into Step 3. xD
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunwolf007 Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:57 pm

Sounds like a plan. We'll see what Forbidden has to add or if he has any questions. I was just putting things down as they came to me so I didn't forget to ask those questions later. Guess I got ahead of myself. Anyway, yeah lets wait until Forbidden gets his two cents in before continuing.
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:05 am

I guess we're still waiting for Forbidden. I'll wait a couple days and them PM him, maybe. Smile
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunwolf007 Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:29 pm

Ok sounds good. I was away for a while because I was busy. With college starting now I will finally have a set schedule.

I looked at his profile and the last time it says he logged in was Aug. 9. You sure you want to keep waiting? I don't know if he will come back or not...
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:40 pm

Right, let's move on. ^^
Step 3! Build the setting.

So we want a new world with greek/roman tech, for starters.
Should we fiddle around with maps? How many nations, empires, fiefdoms, lands and so on do we want? We seem to like the different kinds of humans as opposed to the classic fantasy races, but we do also have some awesome new creatures.

Maybe the best place to start is a name for the world.
Or not... I dunno.
Wait... *looks at prevous post* Oh yeah! Now I remember! ^^

Supernatural realms. We'll need one for the gods, one for spirits, one for dragons, fairies, and then some for other lesser beings. I mean, it doesn't need to be that many; if not realms then they can be areas within certain different realms, or we might say overlapping planes.

Initial thoughts?
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunwolf007 Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:24 pm

Well, for realms I was always thinking a separate divine realm for the Pantheon. Of course humans can wonder in if invited or sneak in like a few stories involving Hades' underworld. All the rest I figured were on the same plane as humans and involved in everyday life if you were out away from the cities. At least if I remember right that is how it was in stories. The whole notion of Gods and Goddesses in Greek and Roman thought was that they were a part of the world just like humans not exulted in a realm above the human universe like with Christianity. That idea was what I was working with as an assumption so if we stick with that cool if not I just need to know what we go with. I think the way with only two realms makes it easier to run into mythical creatures because they are a part of nature instead of some divine realm.

As for maps and such I don't know. Is it really needed? Well, really do you have the skills to make a map because I am not artistic at all. I can draw a machine part on ACAD but I can't draw a picture. Anyway I was thinking the realm should be a diverse area with many different settings. Like some areas would be vary natural and less developed while there are huge cities with industry and production of goods. Like the way it was with the Roman Empire how all its areas were different but part of the same country. We can have a few countries if we want but I think it depends on what moves the plat. There is no real need to make other countries we never visit is there right? We could kind of split the difference and have a huge country with many distinguishable provinces that feel like another country.

I know I posted this part before but I wanted to put it out there again so we didn't forget. I was kind of thinking that each city would have its own culture depending on which god or goddess was the protector of the city. Kinda like how the Athenians were protected by Athena. I would imagine that the Spartans would be Ares and that a city next to the ocean would be Poseidon. I would assume that if we go with this idea people looking to gain the mark of Poseidon would have to go to the major temple in the major city and gain it there. Also was thinking that priests in the major temples would be the ones able to reproduce marks.
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:16 pm

Hey, what happened to my reply? o.O I thought I replied already. scratch
...I didn't... Did I preview and then not send? Sad

Now I completely forget what I said. Doh

Well let's see....
I do indeed have the skill for a map, but maybe we don't need one after all.

I guess what we should start with is the origin story for whatever world this is. To give a backdrop for this thing. Though on the other hand we might not need to go that deep.

I can feel myself going into ramble mode....

I love your idea for each city being different. Let's expand on that. Very Happy
Should we come up with some cities and zoom out from there?

Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunwolf007 Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:07 pm

Well, since we are at a bit of a stalemate right now on realm I went thought and put down some ideas about major cities in the country. Now remember these are the cities that everyone has heard of and are huge compared to other towns and villages who also have temples and the like to gods and goddesses. These cities are the main temples for their respective god or goddess. I haven’t got names down but notes about the characteristics of the city based on their god or goddess. This is not to say that each city doesn’t have a hospital or a industrial center but just what the city is known for around the country. Like Detroit is known as the automobile capital of the USA these cities are know for these attributes. The list is in alphabetical order.

Main city location and theme ideas:
1. Athens. Athena’s city should have a military school in it. Should also be the center of the study of science with many colleges.
2. Corinth. Aphrodite’s city should be thought of as the city of love and passion. An area that is a romantic get away for couples and lovers.
3. Delphi. Apollo’s city should have the major location for prophets and oracles. It would also be a place where a lot of good hospitals would be located.
4. Sparta. Ares’ city should be centered in an area that has seen a lot of warfare like a hostile border area.
5. Kerkyra. Artemis’ city should be located out towards the country where there could be a great amount of hunting to be done.
6. Asclepius’ city would be the city where all the prominent hospitals and clinics are located.
7. Pylos. Demeter’s city should be founded on agriculture and the farm capital of the country.
8. Phigalia. Dionysus’ city should be located where there is a lot of grape farming for wine. So the city would be known as party central because of cheap wine.
9. Thespiae. Eros’ city is most known for its red light districts that cover a majority of the city. It is said that you can find love for a night if the price is right.
10. Avernus. Hades city should be a mining city that is very wealthy.
11. Mount Etna. Hephaestus’ city should be the metalworking capital of the country and found close to the mountains where most metals are mined. Place where all the industrial innovation takes place.
12. Samos. Hera’s city should be the capital of the country where the king resides.
13. Agrigento. Heracles city should be a location where all major Greek heroes shrines are located and close to Ares and Athena’s cities. This should be a place that is a location where people are always looking for work as heroes or be hired for heroic deeds.
14. Pheneos. Hermes’ city should be centrally located between all towns and a major crossroads for travelers. Should also be a politically important location. Should contain a large library of history of the country.
15. Rome. Hestia’s city should be a large city that is based on agriculture and a safe place to live and have a family. This should also be the site of the Parthenon to all the Gods and Goddesses.
16. Cape Sounion. Poseidon’s city should be located on a coast and is a big shipping city.
17. Olympia. Zeus’ city should be located in the mountains like Machu Picchu. Have the best judicial courts in the country and this is where all the major court cases are heard and tried.

If you are going to make a map I would suggest something as big as the Roman Empire at its height of influence. Or something about as big as Europe is today. We don’t have to use a map from today we could create something completely new. Well, by we I mean I can give help in the form of ideas and suggestions and you would have to do the image aspect of if because I can’t. That is if we are going to make a map at all.

If we are looking for an origin story for the world I vote the origin story of the Olympians. It would make things easier because its already written. We could even use Titans as the enemy of our characters in our story so we don’t have to create another group of people. Just a suggestion. We could make the enemy characters anyone we wanted but for whatever reason I was always fascinated with a god vs god style fight and if we use the Titans it turns out our entire country is in threat and can pull from any god or goddess the characters we use to stop the Titans.

Well, here are my thoughts on the matter. If you like the direction the cities are going and want to expand on that then its fine. I think just basic ideas about the cities are fine until we actually go there. I get the feeling a lot of this story is going to be in back woods and on the roads to the major cities. That’s just me thought so I would like to hear what you think on that. Personally I think we got enough on the realm (if you have no problem with the cities) that we make city names as we go along (I think a Latin translation site would go a long way or we could make the cities derivatives of the gods names like Athens = Athena’s city) and start focusing on the plot of the story. After we get a basic idea of the plot we could start this RP. If I am missing one of your steps the please say so but I am looking forward to this RP so I do want to get the back work done as soon as possible but not miss something important.

This brings me to another idea. I know originally we said this would be a 3 person deal but what if we opened it up to create a 4 person squad (5 if Forbidden comes back). I think we could add a depth to the RP if we add the standard love part of the story and by adding in a squad we could get some female heroes in and plus this would add in character development and it does make more sense to send a squad of heroes after something than 2 people (3 if Forbidden comes back). Well, maybe not open but after we are done creating the whole world and plot idea you and I invite someone and make it a 4 person squad. That way it isn’t too big but it isn’t too small either. This is just my thinking on it and by no means do we have to do it. It could be really fun with just the 2 of use writing this thing and I would have no problems with that. I am just throwing out an idea and seeing what you think of it.

Last edited by Sunwolf007 on Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added in city names)
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:39 pm

I'm all for more people joining, but now I won't know whether to move it to Casual or keep it in One-On-One. Having more than two people says go to Casual, but the private-ness of the RP makes it seem more at home in the One-on-One. I guess I could move it to Casual (or Advanced...?) and put [Private] by it, or something.

I like your ideas for the cities, but can we prettypleasewithacherryontop make up our own gods and goddesses? Very Happy That way I don't have to study Greek mythology, and we can come up with something new and awesome. Very Happy They can be similar to those Greek gods, but let's add stuff and modify as we please, and come up with different names and things. Very Happy

We could do a similar origin story (you'll have to tell me how it goes), but let's not have Titans exactly. Maybe they can be similar, but let's go all out with it and make something more new. Very Happy

I guess we could kinda skip to Step 4: Characters and Plot, but let's not forget that Step 3 isn't done yet. The setting is still incomplete, and we'll want to finish more before we start. Smile

With that in mind, what are your thoughts on plot? Very Happy
Let's remember all the other stuff besides Greek-like things. Dragons and fairies and things, with different beings able to give Marks. The big god-ish cities would be the centers of major civilization in this main land, but there are lots of other places, like you said, on the roads or in other spots. There are other large cities, too, but the god-cities would dwarf them.

So let's see... coming up with a plot. What story do we want to tell?
What kind of story?
Now that we have a rough sketch of the setting, what should we do with it? We don't need to see it all to know it's there. How grand should the story be? We want a lot of drama, right? Complex characters, all that sort of thing.

I'll stop rambling now. That's probably a lot of questions. Razz
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunwolf007 Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:41 am

Well, lets hold off on moving this thing around until we are done planning out what we need to before we start. Once we get the planning down then one of us could make a first post comprising everything we have discussed and agreed upon in one post.

As for making our own Gods and Goddesses I am alright with that. I just wanted to get the major ones out of the way and it really doesn't matter what the minor or semi major gods/goddesses are. We could make those up. I was kind of planning on making a list of Gods/Goddesses and what they are in charge of. We could always add to that list as people make new ones. Each city, town and village would have their main god or goddess of the city as well as minor shrines to other deities. There are hundreds of possible gods or goddesses that could be involved so we can create away.

As for a creation story here is the short version of the Greek myth (copied from Wikipedia):
"Myths of origin" or "creation myths" represent an attempt to render the universe comprehensible in human terms and explain the origin of the world.[22] The most widely accepted version at the time, although a philosophical account of the beginning of things, is reported by Hesiod, in his Theogony. He begins with Chaos, a yawning nothingness. Out of the void emerged Eurynome,[citation needed] Gê or Gaia (the Earth) and some other primary divine beings: Eros (Love), the Abyss (the Tartarus), and the Erebus.[23] Without male assistance, Gaia gave birth to Oranos (the Sky) who then fertilized her. From that union were born first the Titans—six males: Coeus, Crius, Cronus, Hyperion, Iapetus, and Oceanus; and six females: Mnemosyne, Phoebe, Rhea, Theia, Themis, and Tethys. After Cronus was born, Gaia and Oranos decreed no more Titans were to be born. They were followed by the one-eyed Cyclopes and the Hecatonchires or Hundred-Handed Ones. Cronus ("the wily, youngest and most terrible of Gaia's children" [23]) castrated his father and became the ruler of the gods with his sister-wife Rhea as his consort, and the other Titans became his court.

A motif of father-against-son conflict was repeated when Kronos was confronted by his son, Zeus. Because Kronos had betrayed his father, he feared that his offspring would do the same, and so each time Rhea gave birth, he snatched up the child and ate it. Rhea hated this and tricked him by hiding Zeus and wrapping a stone in a baby's blanket, which Kronus ate. When Zeus was grown, he fed his father a drugged drink which caused Kronos to vomit, throwing up Rhea's other children and the stone, which had been sitting in Kronos' stomach all along. Zeus then challenged Kronos to war for the kingship of the gods. At last, with the help of the Cyclopes (whom Zeus freed from Tartarus), Zeus and his siblings were victorious, while Kronos and the Titans were hurled down to imprisonment in Tartarus.[24]

The reason I suggested just taking from Greek mythology wholesale was because then I wouldn't have to make something up as with college I have a limited amount of time. If you want to make up something that is something similar to the Titans than go ahead. It might even turn out better with a modern creation of opposing forces.

As for skipping steps I don't think there is much more we need to do for realm creation. We got our major cities and deities. We got a feel for what technology and building techniques would be used so we know how the cities will look. As for smaller settlements that could be a hodgepodge of city and rural building (stone and wood). Wooded and non-tamed areas will have an assortment of creatures roaming around. Unless I am missing something I think we are good with setting. I could be missing something so if I am please tell me!

As for plot… I got nothing right now. I agree that we would have some drama and complex characters but as for specifically what we are doing I am unsure. I know in a lot of the Greek myths the heroes were always looking for something (Golden Fleece, golden apple, a way home and the list goes on...) so should our group be on a quest to find something? I know that's how the Greeks did it but we don’t have to do it that way.

In my original attempt at a Greek style RP the plot revolved around a cold war. I know that in the quote it says Titans so just think of that as a place holder for an enemy to be named later.

Sunwolf007 wrote:
Recently there has been a cold war brewing between the Olympian Gods [and Titans]. The enemies of the Gods, the Titans, are planning something as they are gathering together. There are three distinct groups in this cold war. The first group is supporters of an all out attack immediately which is led by Ares. The second group is supporters of a more diplomatic approach which is led by Athena. The third group is supporters of doing nothing and going about business as usual which is led by Hades.

The Titans, like the Gods, are unable to directly attack because of the possibility of destroying the entire cosmos. They are instead gaining strength by luring all the mythological beasts they can to their side. There is no explanation for these actions yet but this worries some of the Gods.

Anyway that was my original idea. The group would try to find out what the Titans (enemy) are up to for the Gods and Goddesses to stop an all out war fought between the demigods (our marked people) and the forces gathered by the Titans (enemy).

So anyway there are the two ideas I had but I am not dead set on either right now. You might have a better idea that would work better. Or maybe a way to tweak one of the ideas I had. I am open to suggestions at this point.
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:12 am

Alright, I'll take a shot at putting a spin on the major pantheon. ^^
Let's see here... you've got 17 up there... I think I'll add another 3 to give us an even 20; that way we can play off of fives, which is nice because of pentagons and pentagrams and the Golden Section, which also has fours in it, which 20 also has; 1, 2, 4, 5, 10, 20. Also, 1 + 2 + 4 + 5 = 12 + 8 = 20, and 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 10 + 20 = 42, (and maybe even 1 + 2 = 3 + 4 = 7 + 5 = 12 + 10 = 22 + 20 = 42, for a total number group of, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, 12, 20, 22, and 42), so I'll have different types of gods divided into those groups. We can come up with 22 demigods to get 42. So, here we go.

42 supernatural lords

20 gods
1: Overlord
2: Ruling Couple
4: Guardians of the Elements
5: Rulers of the Heart
8: Champions of the Body

~ Amnos, god of gods, the Everlord, patron of the heavens, ruler of Aion,
bearer of the Mark of Immortality.

~ Arod, god of words, the Maker, patron of order, ruler of Kas,
bearer of the Mark of Command.
~ Aria, goddess of songs, the Sculptress, ruler of Chora, matron of harmony,
bearer of the Mark of Creation.

~ Bane, god of earth, the Keeper, patron of growth, ruler of Ardon,
bearer of the Mark of Will.
~ Clara, goddess of water, the Changeling, matron of empathy, ruler of Sidon,
bearer of the Mark of Instinct.
~ Darius, god of winds, the Messenger, patron of joy, ruler of Pharis,
bearer of the Mark of Memory.
~ Eris, goddess of fire, the Mistress, matron of lust, ruler of Serin,
bearer of the Mark of Reach.

~ Tanith, goddess of sight, the Teacher, matron of wisdom, ruler of Temnis,
bearer of the Mark of Guidance.
~ Oromis, god of hearing, the Follower, patron of desire, ruler of On,
bearer of the Mark of the Interpreter.
~ Panis, god of souls, the Caretaker, patron of promise, ruler of Tera,
bearer of the Mark of the Oracle.
~ Aldor, god of breath, the Gardener, patron of fulfillment, ruler of Ailos,
bearer of the Mark of Endurance.
~ Shengra, goddess of love, the Mother, matron of sacrifice, ruler of Altea,
bearer of the Mark of Courage.

~ Dan, god of war, the Champion, patron of victory, ruler of Arba,
bearer of the Mark of the Sword.
~ Rannon, god of youth, the Runner, patron of plains, ruler of Gallia,
bearer of the Mark of Speed.
~ Liara, goddess of purity, the Maiden, matron of innocence, ruler of Ellat,
bearer of the Mark of the Hero.
~ Kron, god of shadows, the Hunter, patron of ambition, ruler of Somos,
bearer of the Mark of Cunning
~ Thora, goddess of storms, the Ravager, matron of vengeance, ruler of Pyton,
bearer of the Mark of Wrath.
~ Simius, god of wealth, the Reveler, patron of excess, ruler of Ilus,
bearer of the Mark of Gold.
~ Anos, god of strength, the Titan, patron of power, ruler of Gausia,
bearer of the Mark of Mastery.
~ Yris, goddess of kings, the Coroner, matron of nobility, ruler of Taroth,
bearer of the Mark of Majesty.

22 demigods
3: of Heaven
7: of Earth
12: of Life

~ Hiro,
~ Faro,
~ Mos

~ Moran,
~ Emindor,
~ Girshon,
~ Orn,
~ Tel,
~ Pelen,
~ Tson

~ Lardol,
~ Phari,
~ Koraph,
~ Lenda,
~ Releman,
~ Kysha,
~ Erxo,
~ Tabos,
~ Semac,
~ Cord,
~ Enma,
~ Ameron

*whew* Go me. All on the spot. ^^
Each city ruled by a god would be located in a spot conducive to the sort of thing the god's about, and would naturally be greatly concerned with that same sort of thing. Taroth would be the place kings go to be crowned and publicly recognized. Ellat would be the place where heroes are born, going off into the jaws of death for the sake of feminism. ^^ Tera would be where a lot of oracles hang out. On would be a place of ambition and mystery and investigative services. And so on and so forth. ^^
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunwolf007 Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:50 pm

Now this is in supplement to the already mentioned Greek gods and goddesses right? All will be combined to create a really long list of deities right? Other than those questions the list looks awesome.

Have you given any thought to the type of plot we would want to use? I offered my suggestions at the end of my last post and was looking for some response to move us in the right direction.
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:22 pm

Oh, uh... are you really really really really really wanting to use the Greek gods?
'Cause I really really really really want to use original ones and keep the Greek ones in the real world. Hmm
So like, you'd need at least four or five really's... and I'd need some convincing, because I don't like having anything to do with things from the real world. It's like having Father Christmas in Narnia. It might have worked for Lewis, but I don't think I'd enjoy doing it myself. Hmm
I like to be open-minded, so if you can convince me or if you just really want it five really's-worth, then I guess... Sweat Drop
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunwolf007 Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:02 am

It was more a clarifying question than anything else. There were two reasons I wanted Greek gods. One was because it is very easy to take something established and tweak it a little to use it in an RP and during college this saves valuable time. The other was my own curiosity and a way to learn some of the gods and goddesses and what they did.

We could use your list and I think it will work better because there wont be a lopsided distribution of powers. The only thing I ask is that you match my work with the names of the major cites and general feel of them. As I am terrible with names of things it would take me forever.

Last edited by Sunwolf007 on Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixed a spelling error and a gramar error)
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:07 pm

Ah, ok. Very Happy Yay! ^^ Sure, there's lots of room for cities, and I think a lot of them would correspond.
You could take your concept for Athens, for example, and attach it to...
Well, I'll just go down the list. Smile These aren't preconceived; I'm just matching them now. ^^

1. Athens. Athena’s city should have a military school in it. Should also be the center of the study of science with many colleges.
~ Tanith, goddess of sight, the Teacher, matron of wisdom, ruler of Temnis,
bearer of the Mark of Guidance.
(Athens → Temnis)

2. Corinth. Aphrodite’s city should be thought of as the city of love and passion. An area that is a romantic get away for couples and lovers.
~ Shengra, goddess of love, the Mother, matron of sacrifice, ruler of Altea,
bearer of the Mark of Courage.
(Corinth → Altea)

3. Delphi. Apollo’s city should have the major location for prophets and oracles. It would also be a place where a lot of good hospitals would be located.
~ Panis, god of souls, the Caretaker, patron of promise, ruler of Tera,
bearer of the Mark of the Oracle.
(Delphi → Tera)

4. Sparta. Ares’ city should be centered in an area that has seen a lot of warfare like a hostile border area.
~ Dan, god of war, the Champion, patron of victory, ruler of Arba,
bearer of the Mark of the Sword.
(Sparta → Arba)

5. Kerkyra. Artemis’ city should be located out towards the country where there could be a great amount of hunting to be done.
~ Rannon, god of youth, the Runner, patron of plains, ruler of Gallia,
bearer of the Mark of Speed.
(Kerkyra = Gallia)

6. Asclepius’ city would be the city where all the prominent hospitals and clinics are located.
~ Aldor, god of breath, the Gardener, patron of fulfillment, ruler of Ailos,
bearer of the Mark of Endurance.
(hospital city → Ailos)

7. Pylos. Demeter’s city should be founded on agriculture and the farm capital of the country.
~ Bane, god of earth, the Keeper, patron of growth, ruler of Ardon,
bearer of the Mark of Will.
(Pylos → Ardon)

8. Phigalia. Dionysus’ city should be located where there is a lot of grape farming for wine. So the city would be known as party central because of cheap wine.
~ Simius, god of wealth, the Reveler, patron of excess, ruler of Ilus,
bearer of the Mark of Gold.
(Phigalia → Ilus)

9. Thespiae. Eros’ city is most known for its red light districts that cover a majority of the city. It is said that you can find love for a night if the price is right.
~ Eris, goddess of fire, the Mistress, matron of lust, ruler of Serin,
bearer of the Mark of Reach.
(Thespiae → Serin)

10. Avernus. Hades city should be a mining city that is very wealthy.
~ Kron, god of shadows, the Hunter, patron of ambition, ruler of Somos,
bearer of the Mark of Cunning
(Avernus → Somos)

11. Mount Etna. Hephaestus’ city should be the metalworking capital of the country and found close to the mountains where most metals are mined. Place where all the industrial innovation takes place.
~ Anos, god of strength, the Titan, patron of power, ruler of Gausia,
bearer of the Mark of Mastery.
(Mount Etna → Gausia)

13. Agrigento. Heracles city should be a location where all major Greek heroes shrines are located and close to Ares and Athena’s cities. This should be a place that is a location where people are always looking for work as heroes or be hired for heroic deeds.
~ Liara, goddess of purity, the Maiden, matron of innocence, ruler of Ellat,
bearer of the Mark of the Hero.
(Agrigento → Ellat)

14. Pheneos. Hermes’ city should be centrally located between all towns and a major crossroads for travelers. Should also be a politically important location. Should contain a large library of history of the country.
~ Darius, god of winds, the Messenger, patron of joy, ruler of Pharis,
bearer of the Mark of Memory.
(Pheneos → Pharis)

15. Rome. Hestia’s city should be a large city that is based on agriculture and a safe place to live and have a family. This should also be the site of the Parthenon to all the Gods and Goddesses.
~ Yris, goddess of kings, the Coroner, matron of nobility, ruler of Taroth,
bearer of the Mark of Majesty.
(Rome → Taroth)

16. Cape Sounion. Poseidon’s city should be located on a coast and is a big shipping city.
~ Clara, goddess of water, the Changeling, matron of empathy, ruler of Sidon,
bearer of the Mark of Instinct.
(Cape Sounion → Sidon)

17. Olympia. Zeus’ city should be located in the mountains like Machu Picchu. Have the best judicial courts in the country and this is where all the major court cases are heard and tried.
~ Oromis, god of hearing, the Follower, patron of desire, ruler of On,
bearer of the Mark of the Interpreter.
(Olympia → On)

Wow... that worked out way better than I thought. o.O
That's perfect! ^^ I didn't have to use up the top three.
~ Arod, god of words, the Maker, patron of order, ruler of Kas,
bearer of the Mark of Command.
~ Aria, goddess of songs, the Sculptress, ruler of Chora, matron of harmony,
bearer of the Mark of Creation.

and

~ Amnos, god of gods, the Everlord, patron of the heavens, ruler of Aion,
bearer of the Mark of Immortality.

These should be hard to get to and extra extra epically awesome. Nod
These guys would be stronger than a Zeus equivalent, I think. Zeus was kinda philandering and just, overall, kinda lazy, actually. That's how he seemed to me, anyway. xD

Anyway again, wow, I'm surprised the cities matched so well. Shocked I mean, I know I kinda based what I was doing off of the cities you mentioned in the first place, but still... I didn't know I'd made them so similar.

I think I know what you mean about names. There ARE a lot. Still, it just feels so much more freeing if we use a new name instead of existing ones. Using an existing name makes me feel like we're in a box and we have to think about the city a certain already-established way.

I think, though, if we make a map, it'll all be better. Very Happy That way it'll be visual instead of just text. I'll scribble up a concept, and I'll put them in locations that match what's in the city, like you said. Smile
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:39 pm

I did it! My first topographical map ever! xD

The cities are all there. But! Remember there are more cities, and more places. I haven't added nations yet, or places for other creatures. 1,200 x 1,200 miles is a pretty large area, so there should be plenty of room. ^^

Whatcha think? =D Version 1.0

Kalon/Sunwolf/Forbidden Kalonsunwolfmap
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content