FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A little survey

+5
The Melancholy Spirit
Bird of Hermes
Kestrel
Loki
YenWen
9 posters

Go down

A little survey Empty A little survey

Post by YenWen Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:39 am

I was wondering what the most favored genre is and why by this forum's population.

Mine is surreal fantasy and/or sci-fi. If that isn't entirely understood, it's fantasy or sci-fi that, while still pertaining to it's genre, is though out and has some scientific reasoning behind it. Meaning it's not simply 'because' and can be explained in detail. I don't always see that with just 'fantasy' or 'sci-fi' so I thought it deserved it's own genre.

Anyone else?

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

A little survey Empty Re: A little survey

Post by Loki Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:20 am

I'm a fan of fantasy, both modern and traditional in timeline. I like having the option for alternate realities and the laws therein.

I'm a little hesitant to join futuristic or sci-fi RPs since their laws and technology need to be defined a lot more clearly ahead of time in order to prevent problems in the future.
Loki
Loki
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:23 am

Understandable. Sci-fi I tend to be a bit more lenient when it comes to explanation, since there's only so much we can explain that's plausible. As long as it's "The spaceship runs on rainbows and the horns of the extinct white rhino" I think there's plenty of room for different reasoning.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kestrel Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:36 am

I don´t have a favourite genre and that fits me just fine. I tend to go more by an individual ´does my mind start creating´ per thread.

Though there are a couple of settings that do tend to spark my interest. Unfortunately people tend to avoid RP'ng in those. The French revolution is one of them :p
Kestrel
Kestrel
Mist
Mist

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:59 am

I can't say there is any one favorite for me.

However, looking at the characters I have at current, they say I tend toward role-plays that have magic or some similar fantasy construct.
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by The Melancholy Spirit Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:43 am

I don't really have a favorite, though I prefer things that focus less on action and more on the development of characters and their interactions with people through certain things.

Character studys's, if you will. Unfortunately those have never worked out, in my experience, in role-playing. :'(
The Melancholy Spirit
The Melancholy Spirit
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Acid Varrakin Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:58 am

Cyberpunk. Like Sci-Fi crossed with Noir, but without all those pesky aliens.

All the other Punks are up there too; I wrote a Steampunk detective novella a little while ago - I'll release it online if Penguin decide to relinquish their grasp of it. Otherwise, you'll have to buy it... :p
Acid Varrakin
Acid Varrakin
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackrock Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:57 am

Hmmm, it depends. When reading, I pretty much like any kind of genre, I'm just open-minded like that (same with music). But since this is the "writing" forum, I guess you mean what RP's I like participating in Razz

Broadly speaking, I'm a big fan of fantasy and SciFI. Currently leaning more towards fantasy, be it high, low, dark or whatever. SciFi is nice too, but as already mentioned, things need to be planned, advances explained and so forth. That said, the question is, does it really matter? I view the setting as more of a background, the philosophical side of things is what's important to me.

Some food for thought Wink
Blackrock
Blackrock
Apparition
Apparition

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:36 pm

Fantasy.
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by EverMan Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:28 pm

Fantasy, by far.

I never quiet understood modern role-plays. We live in a modern world, why would someone want to role play about it? In a fantasy role play, you can be almost anyone, do almost anything. You can play someone opposite yourself, which I find highly entertaining, as I have many snobby, and asshole-ish characters.
EverMan
EverMan
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Melancholy Spirit Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:48 pm

It is escapism, EverMan. Whether you are writing about the things that an elf thief has to deal with in the slums of a fantasy city, or a young dragon coming of age, a soldier going out into space for the first time, a lake troll in thirteenth century Sweden, or someone in real life that is quite opposite of you (perhaps) going through situations you never had to... many more.

Why do people watch movies that take place in the modern world, and are not about cheap thrills of robots or aliens or so forth? It is the same thing, instead of watching you are writing though and it becomes more personal for the individual.
The Melancholy Spirit
The Melancholy Spirit
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down