FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wyrmrest Accord: A Social Experiment

5 posters

Go down

Wyrmrest Accord: A Social Experiment Empty Wyrmrest Accord: A Social Experiment

Post by Adrius Frostglare Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:31 pm

Has anyone ever wondered... how is it that we see so much hatred in the world? How is it that marriages break over small things such as who left the dishes out, or nations entered war because someone wore a different colored suit? How, in all that is holy, does hatred spread? To whom?

Wyrmrest Accord. In WoW that was the realm that I transferred to. It was so rich in roleplay, the community seemingly warm, friendly, accepting. I made friends... one in particular, a close friend of mine. In fact, the community was so united that they even made a player-based forum, and it was efficient. I joined - many did - and for some time it seemed to be a just society.

Then... well... it is odd, you know. How strange. I don't recall offending someone. I never stole anyone's ideas. I never asked for anyone to insult each other, or expect to be blamed for it. I don't even recall why I was treated as such. I had remained respectful to the best of my ability. It started with an accident, and then it grew into some misguided sense of righteousness from one of the members of the guild that ran the site. I was verbally assaulted. First, I went to the administration, hoping they could bring justice. I was met with idleness, as the admin was also the guild leader of the offender. Can I blame her? No, not really. I've been in her situation, pitted between the cause of a friend and that of a "stranger". Yet, she turned her eyes away. I do not know, perhaps she thought I deserved it. It does not matter, really, the point being she forsook her duties.

Then, when all else failed, I went to my friend, the one person I believed would understand. I was... shocked. She had read the offender's letter, had said that she thought it was "surprisingly self-restrained". I was once again commented, without specification, of my unknown crime. What had I done? What could I possibly heinous act could I have possibly committed?! I spent the better part of a week trying to resolve this, trying to convince her, but she shut her ears to me. And then, abandoned, alone, and bitter... I snapped. I'd had enough. I'd been kicked, spat on, insulted, and treated like **** for the entire episode. I wrote a scathing letter to my "friend" (which you can see for yourself in the "Letters You'll Never Send"), and cut all connections to the site, to the server... everything except my oldest and closest friends whom I'd had before transferring.

For months, my mind was drawn away from that place. Then one day, not too long ago, a friend came to me. He'd transferred to Wyrmrest from Moon Guard, decided to try the server. I pointed him to WrA.net. Despite my distaste for its society, it was still the best place to find organized roleplay. Then, he proposed an idea: my return. He asked, what would happen if I came back? What would be the reaction? At first, I was conflicted. I had been doing so well, avoiding it. I'd practically forgotten about it. But then, I realized, his idea made sense. I wanted to give him a familiar face with whom he could converse to about the realm, who knew the realm and the site. I wanted to know... how far had the hatred spread? To whom?

So I embarked. So far, the results are... unfortunate. Those that do not, in a sideways manner, try to mock me into leaving, pretend I do not exist. Believe me, I've applied the math, the observations, everything. There are a couple, still loyal friends, but by comparison their numbers are sadly few. The experiment continues... perhaps they'll see a change, that there was nothing to worry about, or perhaps their hearts are forever closed.

I care not what they think of me. I've lived with people not liking me, do still. It's a part of life. I'm just curious.

Now, FOG, I want to ask you something: am I doing something right here? Was it a mistake to come back, if only to satiate a curiosity, or is probing the dark minds of those that would otherwise have me die before ever being seen again not a good thing to do? I need some encouragement - or discouragement - on the matter.
Adrius Frostglare
Adrius Frostglare
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

http://adriusfrostglare.deviantart.com/  (Deviant Art profile)

Back to top Go down

Wyrmrest Accord: A Social Experiment Empty Re: Wyrmrest Accord: A Social Experiment

Post by Weiss Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:06 pm

Well, you have the grave misfortune of provoking a response from me before any others have had time to offer you blind support. I'm not so easy, you see.

First, you haven't at all mentioned what it was you were accused of doing. You haven't stated why you were insulted before leaving previously. This indicates one of two things.

1. You don't know. If you don't know, it's no one's fault but your own. Instead of going into a blind rage and insulting everyone who offended you - such as you did in your letter - you could have asked what their issues with you were, so that you'd at least know why you were being hated.

2. You know, but don't want to tell us what it is. This indicates that you have indeed done something wrong, but you feel so self-righteous about it that you refuse to admit it was wrong. However, you're afraid of being told that it was you, and not everyone else, who made the mistake.

So, the simple fact is that no one can judge what's right or wrong about your situation until you've provided us with a scenario. What did you do? Why were you so hated? To make a blind judgment without knowing anything about what gave rise to your situation would be encouragement for the sake of encouraging.

Judging by your letter, you made no attempt to reconcile on whatever misdeed you might have performed. Your friend didn't take your side, so you were angered. If you could write a letter with such strong disdain poured into every paragraph - even if you weren't being honest with anyone, including yourself - then your friendship never meant anything to begin with. It was self-serving; a relationship you wanted, but only if it worked the way you wished it to.

Granted, this is only judging by what I know so far. If you actually submit a few necessary details so that the situation can be better understood, I can provide a much more accurate analysis of your situation, and my advice will be a great deal more useful.

So, for now, what did you do wrong? Or, if you did nothing wrong, what were you accused of doing wrong?
Weiss
Weiss
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Wyrmrest Accord: A Social Experiment Empty Re: Wyrmrest Accord: A Social Experiment

Post by Sin Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:00 am

Weiss, sweet neko-summoned mod... you give that server and the players of WoW far too much credit... I am a refugee of that server. I can attest that both factions are filled with horrendously weak characters... and I don't mean roleplay characters. I mean the people behind the keyboard. That place is full of selfish greed, and lacking that, a twisted sense of amusement.

I don't know what happened. Guilty or innocent, I say leave the server. There is no reason to be in a community that shuns you. That server is nothing for progression. The PvP is... I'm not even going to go there. That server is... turning into the /b/ of WoW honestly.

I have been there since its creation. I left one of the best raiding guilds on Moon Guard 3 months before it disbanded to get away from the pressures of raiding and to just relax, find a guild and some good roleplay. For a few months, it was a good server. Then people realized that they were alone. Rather than establish the community, many of the players began to reverse their migrations, returning to whence they came, or heading to Moon Guard's salvation.

Personally. I have been RPing on WoW for 4 years. I'm tired of it. There is too much drama. Too many people who complain about the smallest detail and get into fights over things that happen in the least important aspect of the game. Roleplay. If you want to find good people to RP with, either lock yourself into a small community of friends and hope no bad seeds infiltrate the ranks (which always happens, it is only a matter of time), or settle for roleplaying on the forums where there are consequences to your actions.

I settled on RPing with just myself and my fiance on Maelstrom. When I want something serious to get my ideas going, I either come here, or I work on my writing that I could use towards books, or just to get emotions out. I've had too many negative experiences on WoW, most of which are unprovoked (all of the ones I did provoke end with the other people leaving the server, somehow... and I was provoked into provoking such things... but I don't pretend I'm innocent).
Sin
Sin
Shadow
Shadow

Female

http://www.mixpod.com/playlist/41304552

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrius Frostglare Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:08 am

Fair enough. I will pour every detail of this event.

It started out innocent, really. A friend of mine and I had done some RP in game and as a fun little quip, I decided to write a blog about it (blogging is very common in the site). By a random desire, I chose to have it in "newspaper" format. The blog is here:

http://wyrmrestaccord.net/content/ironforge-explorer-may-18th-27th-year-after-dark-portal-page-33-34

Among the people who read it was a person name Avanthalas. She had, very shortly before I'd posted it, written in the Suggestion Forum an idea for her to have a series of newspapers on community events in Wyrmrest. When she saw my blog, at first she was curious, then curiosity turned to anger as she thought I had stolen her idea. She publicly posted in the official Wyrmrest Accord realm forums at Blizzard Entertainment's site slanderous things. Let's see if I can find it... (dammit, the WoW forum search engine is terrible. See here for yourself if you can find it: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/board.html?forumId=15923282&sid=1 ) Needless to say, she let out all her spite. I tried to appease her, reason to her that the idea of an RP post in newspaper format was not stealing her idea, and that I didn't mean to steal anything. She blatantly told me she didn't believe me. A guildmate of mine, trying to stick up for me, told her that she was an attention whore and that she should just display her boobs if she wanted so much attention. To this, Avanthalas drops a bomb and reveals she has breast cancer and that her breasts were, and I quote, "in a bucket". I wish I could have acted faster because as soon as I realized what my guildmate had done, I told him to stop in-game so as to avoid more public drama. He did, but Avanthalas continued, and she spread the word of what horrible people we were.

I grew tired. I was beaten. I went to her and finally apologized. She said that was all she'd wanted to hear. What am I to take of this? Did it mean she just wanted to humiliate me? Throw a tantrum, ruin my reputation? Fine. Leave her to her desires. My pride wasn't worth the grief. After that, she acted nice and cheery and I tried to help with the newspaper. On a separate thread, I went and tried to reconcile them because the same guildmate that had insulted her had some stuff going on I thought would be great for her paper. I thought, "this is a wonderful chance to mend some broken bridges". This was the result http://www.wyrmrestaccord.net/content/free-press-goes-bi-weekly Beyond the joke that I know was in very poor taste in my last post (No idea what I was thinking, maybe I was just trying to fit in) I tried to keep respectful.

What I got was this PM from one of the leading members of WrA.net's Kamil te Kar, the creators of the site.

You know why dick isn't censored? Because there is no other way to describe you and the way you handle yourself. I don't how you live with yourself OR how you can even stand to claim to be a christian with the way you act. Honestly, I hardly ever decide to PM someone on the way they act on the internet, but REALLY? Picking on Avanthalas?

You know that you decided to have the idea for a newspaper after she brought it up. But you know what? I wasn't there for it, so we'll just avoid it. What I'm more upset about-- as in physically upset, feels like coals are burning in my chest at the very IDEA-- is the thought of how you try and justify how your friend acted towards her with 'well he was defending me'. Do you think that makes it A-OK? Honestly?

For once in your life, just shut up. Just shut the fuck up and leave that poor woman alone. You will never understand the shit she goes through on a daily basis. She's doing an amazing job with the paper and you could NEVER compare to it. You would just make it about your characters that no one fucking cares about.

Please eat a cock and die.

-Hez

I was outraged. What had I done? How had I picked on Avanthalas? Shocked at this revelation, I immediately wrote an apology to her. Her reply:

You take stuff way too seriously... it's not that big of a deal. You and I are fine (I think. *shrug*) Your other friend... well, I wrote him off. When I say something like "if I had a dick and he had the last mouth in the world I wouldn't let him suck it" it's just my way of saying he burned that bridge, but that's not the same as you, you know? I don't know you very well, but it seems to me that you make things harder than they are a lot. For example, when something starts to go all wonky, like with the paper stuff, instead of running around and writing anonymous letters and stuff you could have just asked about it in the first place, heh. When you finally did talk to me, all I wanted was for you to apologize and you did and it was fine, no?

I don't really know how to explain this, but there are some people that are so... overgeared? I don't know. But anyway, these people try to do stuff 500% even when what they're doing is relating to other people. You'll be much happier if you chill a bit, heh. Usually that just happens over time, though, and everyone has their own way. Mine is that stuff doesn't make me cranky until it hits a certain point, and then I need to just say what I think... but then I'm done. Like, I don't log out and then wonder what people think of what I wrote... the important part to me is that I said what I thought.

So... I guess the point is... there's no conflict on my end? I was actually surprised to read this, heh.

So... the Kamil girl's sense of... justified retribution was all just an assumed response? A spur in the moment? I felt my anger grow. I decided to write to the administrator, who was the leader of the Kamil, about this. This is the series of PMs that came between her and me.

My PM: [After having shown the flame PM] First, I meant no offense, it was but a joke. Secondly, I am aggrieved by this statement. Please, I do not wish to cause an open debate in the forum.

Respectfully,
Frostglare

Her PM:This appears to be a personal issue between two people, not an open debate. Why are you bringing this to me?

My PM:

I refuse to return fire, but I cannot help but feel offended in this personal attack. I ask you, as administrator of this site and fellow member of her guild, to please... I don't know, just... please. I do not wish... I don't want this to happen again, not again. I don't want ill hatred of any kind between anyone and hatred found in one place will spread to another.

I can do nothing to change her opinion. I am not even sure that it is possible. I don't even know if attempting it is even wise... but it's enough.

Her reply: Yes; I'm her guild member, not her mother. If she made this a public issue on the forum, that would be another thing.

This really doesn't involve me in any fashion. I'm not sure why you're bringing me into it?

My PM:Well, if you do not wish to become involved, it is fine. I'll deal with this alone. Thank you regardless for your attention and understanding.

I understood, really. I've been a guild leader myself. There was one time where my fellow guildmates got into a quarrel and I was to preside as a judge. One was an officer, the other a new recruit. I wanted to give a fair trial, indiscriminate of rank. What I got was my officer - and beloved friend - leaving the guild in a storm. She returned after I desperately begged her to come back and an apology from the new recruit. I regret having done so ever since.

I know what she was going through. It is very terrible, really, to get involved, even if you're a policing force. I had gone out of my way to deal with my guildmate when he misbehaved in a personal spat and it had ended as best as possible. She didn't. She didn't want to risk being abandoned by her friend, or perhaps she genuinely believed that I deserved what had come to me. I don't know... but I was left without justice.

So I turned to my friend. One of my closest friends. She was also the offender's friend. I thought maybe we could resolve it through her. I... can't produce a history of the PM conversation. I deleted it. It was too painful. She did say what you said, Weis, and I agree. It is not a crime to disagree with me, but I wanted to know how I had done anything to anyone, and especially why they had to use such intense hatred against me. What had warranted such blackness in their words? She didn't produce any answer, instead asking me in disbelief how I could possibly not know what I'd done wrong. I didn't. I honestly didn't. I hadn't even harmed anyone intentionally, nor had I wanted to.

And so my friend left me. I felt betrayed. Twice... twice I've been run from my community. First Moon Guard, then Wyrmrest Accord. Twice I had been betrayed by friends. In my anger, my bitterness, I wrote that letter, probably sinking myself in deeper... but I didn't care. They'd forsaken me. So I decided to leave my friend. Leave Wyrmrest. Leave it all. I had great friends who had stuck with me - continue to stick with me - and they helped me a great deal.

And the reason for this experiment... is that, exactly. "Why has this happened? How has this happened? Why would anyone curse me when I have done nothing?"

Now, I've told you everything. I don't know if you'll support me. I don't know if you won't. Hell, I'm running a gamble just by telling people this story, really. For all I know, you could all decide to disagree with me and forsake me, but then, that wouldn't be the first time it's happened.

So what'll it be? I've bared everything I have. Your choice to believe me or not. I'm not afraid. I'm not ashamed. Do not tell me I went into a blind rage, sir, because I took every single path that was available to avoid what happened. I admit, I was weak in the end and gave in to the emotions. The stress got to me. Beyond that slip, however, my belief of non-hatred stands and I hold it to the best I can. No one can achieve perfection. No one really knows what perfection is. But I try through the ways I can, and even though I may never reach it, I give it my best.
Adrius Frostglare
Adrius Frostglare
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrius Frostglare Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:15 am

Sin: I know. My faith in society - really, almost the whole concept of society - has dimmed and then died out after all I've suffered thanks to random chance. In school I am an outcast, a pariah who hangs out with the rest of the outcasts, but I do not care. I love my strangeness, myself.

Once again, I must point out, I'm not doing this for Wyrmrest. The only real reason I keep ties to WoW is because some of my dearest friends and I RP through it. I also love the characters I've made there and Frostglare has become my internet nickname regardless of whether it is a WoW related site or not. I don't feel like parting with them for a long time. I do intend to return to WoW the game, only to link with people and maybe just to enjoy the game itself, but I do not intend to bow my head to the society of WrA.net or WrA itself. This experiment? There's no "right" or "wrong" result. There's just the result. Data. Conclusion. That is all.
Adrius Frostglare
Adrius Frostglare
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:22 am

Urgh. Drama and over-sensitive people. How I do not miss thee... Honestly, if you want to have a new place to start out, you're welcome to join my fledgling guild on Maelstrom Horde. It's a good relief to just have conflict happen anywhere, anytime. And it really is just data. Pure data when you fight any random person that comes up to you. There is no player versus everyone else that happens in battlegroups or WG. There is no "tainted" information, which I consider people like that...

This is the internet, in the end. And to preserve my sanity and faith in those people who warm my heart so easily... I protect myself. I do not have to talk to anyone, ever, on the internet, if I don't like them. It's cruel. But I have broken down into tears because of these things, more than once. Rather than loose hope, I just cut away the bad. I don't talk to people that I don't have to, because if they don't bring happiness or thought to my life, what purpose is there? To upset me? To hurt me? Or worse, to hurt the people around me...

If your perspective on humanity is so damaged already, there is no reason to take the test. In due time, your results will be the same. Unless you can force it to change, it will always remain the same... because your experiment has people like that in it who will force the change to happen if they ever realize your existence...

v-v That is my experience, and my raw belief.
Sin
Sin
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrius Frostglare Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:28 am

Your response is sound, Sin, and I have thought about it before doing it, too. The experiment itself will no longer be the main focus of my stay in WrA. Now I'll just be there for my friend.
Adrius Frostglare
Adrius Frostglare
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:29 am

That would be a wise idea. Very Happy I wish you both the best of luck.
Sin
Sin
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Weiss Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:00 am

Honestly, Adrius, I agree with the administrator of the forum. Unless it's stated in the forum's rules that personal issues will be attended to by the staff, I'm not sure I can see why you expected the administrator to arbitrarily deal out punishment to one side of a conflict.

See, here's where I'm confused:
You got a PM from Kamil that was basically just insulting you flat-out. Why did she do that? She was defending Avanthalas, much the way your friend had defended you. To a stronger degree, most certainly, but that doesn't change that she was basically just an enraged friend who felt she should do what Avanthalas wouldn't. She attacked you, whether it was with our without proper backing.

When you wrote Avanthalas, she wrote back in a very respectful manner and even pointed out something you could probably do to prevent so much drama in the first place. She told you to just chill out and let it go, basically. She said you no longer had a problem; that your argument with her was over the moment you apologized, and that it was no longer something she was bothered about.

The moment Avanthalas told you that she no longer had a problem with you, you should have stopped. If you had dropped it and simply written off Kamil's angry PM as an unjustified assault against you, much the way Avanthalas wrote off your friend's assault against her, the problem would most likely have ended completely. You and Avanthalas could have gotten along, and Kamil would probably have ceased her burning hatred for you if she saw that Avanthalas no longer harbored any ill feelings toward you, either.

Instead, you wanted retribution. You wanted Kamil to get in trouble for what she did, despite that you didn't feel your friend should have gotten into any trouble for having essentially done the same thing. You say that you were willing to put aside your pride to prevent drama, but in the end you couldn't.

The friend that betrayed you: you say that you can't reproduce the IM log, but you've given a basic overview of what happened. It's my opinion that you were so caught up in your feelings of self-righteousness that you weren't willing to see things from your friend's point of view. Avanthalas no longer had an issue with you, and had acted quite graciously in stepping away from the argument the moment you apologized. Many people would not do as much. Most, in fact, would likely have continued out of nothing more than a desire to see you pained for having 'stolen their idea'. She, to the contrary, was even willing to work with you.

In the end, your issue was propagated not by others; it was your own unwillingness to let the argument end that caused it to degenerate further.

I'm not saying that Kamil was right, but in that same light, you cannot say that your friend was right, either. It's hypocritical to think that the administrator did something wrong for not blindly dealing out punishment because you and another member of the forums don't get along. If you wanted Kamil punished, it would only be right that your friend was punished equally, no?

You're trying too hard to be the victim. Because of that, you did something that probably hurt your friend a lot. She didn't immediately side with you, so you were offended. To react the way you did was childish. To make matters worse, you went so far that no apology will likely make up for it.

I don't want to paint you as a bad person all together, but you have a long way to go if that's the type of friendship you offer to people.

Mind you, all of this is only my personal opinion...
Weiss
Weiss
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrius Frostglare Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:32 am

Fair enough. I'll take your opinion into account.
Adrius Frostglare
Adrius Frostglare
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ImmortalSin Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:53 am

Alright. First I'm just going to make it very clear that I have never played WoW before, so some of my observations may be inaccurate. Please forgive me if they are.

Now, while I can see your side of things Adrius, I believe that Weiss is right in quite a few aspects. It appears to me as though you handled it the wrong way at the time and I understand how easy that is to do when you're caught up in the moment.

I used to be one of 20 Player Assistants on powerpets.com, a virtual pet site that has over 1 million members. I held the position for about 6 months, if I can remember correctly. PA's gained access to a forum where any player that had problems with the game could ask us for assistance. We were also role models for the rest of the players.

I really enjoyed myself, but it didn't last. I'd made an extremely good friend through that site and when he defended a friend on one of the boards he was silenced for 3 days. I was unhappy, but understood that he could have went about it differently. He didn't swear (it's essentially a kids site, you're not allowed to), but he could have defended the person in a more tasteful manner.

Anyway, the 3 days passed and his silence wasn't lifted. He responded in his case file, asking what the hold up was, got no response. Then came the 20 messages or so of him bugging them. Eventually, he got iced (which means his account was deleted). I was furious, namely because when he asked them why he was iced they said it was because he was being a 'smart ass'.

This is coming from the pair that created the website. A kid's website. If Kyle (my friend) had reported it to the proper organization, they would have been in deep shit. You cannot speak to a minor like that.

Anyway, as I said, I was really pissed off about this so I thought it would be a good idea to send an email to my friends on the site, explaining what had happened so that they too would know. What was the purpose? I still don't know. It made me feel better, maybe?

I knew it would make it's way back to Liz and Tony (site owners/creators). It did. My PA position was removed. That was it. By then I'd calmed down, and although I didn't try to justify what I did, I did explain to Liz why I had done it. She basically told me that she was disappointed in me. She thought we had a better relationship than that. She said I should have spoken to her first, and sorted it out between us. That made a whole lot more sense than what I had done.

So that was about, two, maybe three years ago now? I understand fully that what I did was stupid. I am glad that I valued my friendship with Kyle over my position. But it wasn't my place to do something that time. He had deserved to be silenced. Iced? No, not really. But I still dealt with it the wrong way.

This might sound ridiculous, or lame to you but to be honest your scenario seems kind of ridiculous and lame to me as well. It's so easy to get caught up in virtual worlds. We invest some of ourselves into the place, so much time, so much effort and when it blows up in our faces of course we're going to be unhappy about it.

But look back over the situation with a neutral point of view, and you'll realize how differently you could have dealt with said situation and how much better the outcome could have been. It wasn't so much my pride that made me react that way, but my loyalty to my friend.

Yes, it appears that Avanthalas overreacted. Yes, Kamil could have responded in a more tasteful manner. No, it doesn't matter who you are defending, it doesn't give you the right to speak to others in the way your friend did. Most people appreciate it when things can be worked out in a civil manner. No, it wasn't the administrators responsibility to intervene.

This doesn't make me think less of you as a person Adrius. You can't change the way things happened. You can't take back what you said, and neither can they. The only thing you can do now is be the mature one and think carefully about how you are going to act around them from now on.

I would say to avoid the community altogether, but that would be hypocritical of me. I visit powerpets occasionally in order to keep in touch with my friends and support those that still hold positions on there. I do however, have a good relationship with Tony and Liz again, and no one seems to hold a grudge against me for what I did. But that was only because I stopped trying to convince others that what had happened wasn't my fault, and instead dropped it and let it be.

(Nobody laugh at me either. I'm pouring my heart out here. Sweat Drop )
ImmortalSin
ImmortalSin
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrius Frostglare Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:49 am

I appreciate you giving out your personal experiences here, Immortal (I gotta differentiate between you and Sin more easily somehow...). It is true, I could have let the whole situation slide. I am still unsure completely if the administration, or at least the guild leader, should not have been involved (I got involved with my guild mate's spat and he respected my decision, leaving Avanthalas alone, so I ponder why the same wouldn't have happened in their situation) but I do realize I couldn't - and shouldn't - force them to see it my way, which is why I backed off instead of pressuring her further when she decided not to. To each his own method of management, I suppose. Yes, it does seem ridiculous, the small things we fight over, but I am simply the kind of person that wants to fix things, sometimes even if he breaks his own back doing it. That's simply the way I choose to be. Still, if it is obvious that it is a mountain I'm trying to lift and there is no way it will happen, I'll stop before more harm is done. However, that doesn't mean my method won't change. Take the experiment, for example. I am not provoking them. I am not taking their mockery personally, nor am I affected by it. I am merely an observer, really. My goal is no longer to change them, I know now that it is impossible to induce change on people who do not want to change.

We feel misery at specific intervals of our life that heal. I believe that in every tragedy there is a miracle, a positive effect. In this betrayal... I learned how to deal with these sorts of things better. We never leave empty handed. I do still believe I was undeserving of the treatment I received (and Sin herself points out the jackassery that is Wyrmrest's community) but I no longer care about it and instead know what to do next time I am wrongly accused in a similar manner. Yes, I will still try to find out if I went wrong, but this time if I still don't find where I did and am confident in my own intent, I will not do what I did this last time, take it seriously, struggle. Even if it is a friend - and I still DEARLY hope it never is again - I'll hold my head high, weight the options, try to see it from all angles, and then decide from the observation.

This is the best answer I can give, really. That's as good as I can get to being optimistic on the whole deal, and I'd say it's pretty good.
Adrius Frostglare
Adrius Frostglare
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrius Frostglare Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:25 am

Update on the Experiment: Got a PM today. I was happily surprised to learn it was one of the members who remembered me. She said she did know of all that happened, but that it was in the past. Score one for "individuals over society"!
Adrius Frostglare
Adrius Frostglare
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:10 pm

I'm happy someone came to you like that. Very Happy Hopefully more people will come forward, but it's not something I would count on. >< But that's just me. I hold no expectations towards people in any given WoW community at this point.

The reason I didn't say anything about your personal issue is that I have also learned to not intervene unless I was actually there. I will never know the full story in my head, no matter if you say something, or the other person randomly comes forward to offer her side of the story. There are always three versions. Yours, the other person's, and the truth. Perspective always alters things from how they are, unfortunately.

Me... I don't know. I kind of just get into people's heads and can offer them insight on the other person's thoughts, but more often than not, I just get yelled at for "taking sides" instead of helping. ><
Sin
Sin
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Slushgrimace Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:32 am

I just think you were way too hasty in reacting the way you did. You really should have tried to find a workable compromise, you know? Maybe you could have tried following some of their advice. I mean, you didn't even -try- to eat a cock and die.

Slushgrimace
Mist
Mist

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrius Frostglare Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:54 pm

Slushgrimace wrote:I just think you were way too hasty in reacting the way you did. You really should have tried to find a workable compromise, you know? Maybe you could have tried following some of their advice. I mean, you didn't even -try- to eat a cock and die.

Common sense got in the way Razz

Wyrmrest Accord: A Social Experiment Ocfz7gfzvm
Adrius Frostglare
Adrius Frostglare
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down