FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MY INTRO-DUCK-TION

+4
Kalon Ordona II
The Melancholy Spirit
Sighlent
BarnyardLovin
8 posters

Go down

MY INTRO-DUCK-TION Empty MY INTRO-DUCK-TION

Post by BarnyardLovin Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:45 am

Greetings Foggers,
I'm Brennan, a semi-professional actor/dancer/singer/writer. I love many things including roleplay, chicken, working out, Monty Python, FPS-pwnage, my ADD-riddled cat, punk music, and occasionally sneaking into a certain friends' house with another friend and taking tasteful nude photos to piss off the friend who owns said property. I'm used to writing in the usual narrative format but need to develop playscript writing out of necessity. So thats mainly what I'll be doing here. Right now, I have to develop "something interesting" to submit to a theatre festival by December 21st in order to get a spot for next June. I can edit as I go once I get a decent application ready. So that'll be the first project I do here.

I like steak and am a Leo. As far as writing genres I enjoy, fantasy and science fiction novels are on the top of my list.
BarnyardLovin
BarnyardLovin
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

MY INTRO-DUCK-TION Empty Re: MY INTRO-DUCK-TION

Post by Sighlent Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:14 pm

Hey I'm a Leo too! You know they say that we are like the blondes of the Zodiac - we have the most fun anyway. Very Happy

Welcome to this wonderful world of collaborative imaginings. My name is Sighlent, or Sigh for short, and I like a lot of the same things you do, save for the sneaking part. I've never done that one but you can bet it is now on my to-do list.

Anyway if you have any questions just feel free to ask! I'm sure you'll fit right in here just fine! Very Happy
Sighlent
Sighlent
Ghost
Ghost

Female

http://jennibou.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Melancholy Spirit Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:14 pm

Sneaking into a house to take tasteful nude pictures sounds like something I'd end up doing with a few of my friends... love it. Haha

I'm curious, what era of punk music do you enjoy listening to?
The Melancholy Spirit
The Melancholy Spirit
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:24 pm

Adventurous, fun-loving, I'm sure you'll be right at home. Nod

Welcome to the FOG, Barnie! cheers
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:18 pm

Welcome to FoG, Brennan.

You seem fun, and I'm sure you'll be a great addition to the site. Good luck with your festival submission. ^^_^^

Is that you in your avatar image?

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunwolf007 Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:29 pm

Welcome to FoG! I am sure you will fit in just fine here.

I noticed you said something about being an active playwright. What genre of plays do you write?
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Location : Greater Grand Rapids area, US of A ( last time I checked)

Back to top Go down

Post by BarnyardLovin Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:11 am

Wow, I like the amount of response! Thanks guys.
Sigh, I like that your another regal lion-beast. Looks like we're the same age too. (Born in '89 myself.)
Melancholy, I enjoy all punk music. I enjoy a lot more than just punk, but at heart, I'm a punker. Everything from The Clash to Alexisonfire, or Reel Big Fish to The Blood Brothers. I guess mostly new music I listen to though. I also enjoy musicals too much.
Thanks, Kalon.
As well, thank you Kathyrn; and yes, that is me in my profile pic. That you in yours?
Lastly, Sunwolf, yes I am an active playwright. Usually I write shorter ten-minute plays or skits and scenes for various projects. I'm only just now branching out into playwriting proper. My last project was co-written and performed by two friends and I and it toured Edmonton, Vancouver, and Victoria and received really good reviews. It had no narrative and was basically sketch comedy on the subject of video games and internet. I write mostly comedy; even if I think the work is serious it still always has its light humorous moments.

Below is the poster for my last project.

at life
BarnyardLovin
BarnyardLovin
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:24 am

I figured. It looks rather professional, too. I'm a big fan of photography, personally, but I'm just an amateur. I don't actually want to be a professional. It would just be nice to take pictures that are professional. I guess it counts for something that my small-town's Wal-Mart almost refused to print the senior pictures I took of myself a couple of years ago because they looked "professional," but wtf do they know? ^o_~^

Yes. That's me in my Halloween ((soon to also be Renaissance Fair in May)) garb. It was a lot of fun. ^^_^^

I hope your poster is bigger in real life. The font is difficult to read at that size. The image itself is pretty cool, though.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by BarnyardLovin Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:36 am

Ya, that was from my second photoshoot. I have a bunch of promo photos of myself because I have to. Your Wal-Mart sounds ridiculous. I`m from a smaller town myself. Around 20,000.

I like it. Did you take those yourself? What is this fair?

Ya, the poster is bigger in real-life. I just wanted to show it off. I made it myself. Small portion of personal pride, you know?
BarnyardLovin
BarnyardLovin
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:52 am

:: nods :: I figured they were something like promos with what you've divulged of yourself. You should share some of your other photos with us in the Post Yo' Picture thread. We love to see what the members of FoG look like.

Yes. Wal-Mart in and of itself is rather ridiculous, but it's the only real... store-store we have in this tiny place. I technically live in a town that has under one thousand, but the town right next to this where I went to high school and where I work is bigger... I have no idea how many people live there, though. ^o_o^ I just know it's incredibly diverse because of the Maharishi movement.

I took the avatar photograph of myself. My best friend, Laura, took the signature picture. Ryona Noel ((a fellow FoG member)) graciously created the set-up for me, saturating the pictures, cutting the signature image to fit the way it does, and adding the text. She did a very good job in my opinion. ^^_^^

You don't know what a Renaissance Fair is? ^o_o^ You poor, sheltered soul! A Renaissance Fair is a fair where people can dress up in their favorite clothing from the Renaissance/Medieval eras ((or as pixies/faeries/elves/etc.)). There are shops that people have set-up to sell their renaissance wares such as jewelry/weaponry/clothing/food/etc. that fits the theme. There are also games and such.

I've only ever been to one, and it was when I lived in Arizona when I was fourteen. It was in a city near Phoenix, but it was a class field trip, so I didn't get to dress up. Plus, it was muddy because it had recently rained. Their turkey legs were effing delicious, though. ^^_^^

In May, I'm going to the one in Des Moines with Laura ((the best friend of whom I earlier spoke)). There's one in Iowa City, too, but it's smaller, and not as permanent or as fun according to her. I've been to the location of the one in Des Moines, but they were hosting haunted houses there rather than a ren fair. It was still a ton of fun, and the wooden buildings are pretty spiffy. I hope you get the chance to go to one at least once in your life, even if you don't dress for it.

:: nods :: Of course I know. I love showing off my work when I've done a good job on it. I know that others do, too, and I enjoy looking at the work of others. ^^_^^

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ImmortalSin Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:22 am

Hey Brennan, welcome to FoG!

You said you like Alexisonfire? I haven't listened to them for awhile but they were/are one of my favourite bands. I personally like Rough Hands and Thrones the most out of their songs. I'm glad that someone else finally knows them. Most people here (where I live) have no clue who they are.

Have you ever heard of Evans Blue? They remind me a fair bit of Alexisonfire. They're a great band as well, might be worth checking out. One of their best songs would have to be Dark that Follows.

Anyway, enjoy your stay. Aww
ImmortalSin
ImmortalSin
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by BarnyardLovin Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:30 am

I went and posted a couple pictures in the Post Yo' Pictures thread. Just for you. Haha, your town does trump mine in small-ness. I remember when we got our Wal-Mart; It was actually part of the two mayoral candidates election platforms. If we voted the one guy in we got Wal-Mart. So we voted him in.Also, I like your set-up.

That's cool about the Fair. It sounds quite intriguing. I'd probably waste all my moolah on weaponry and peasant stew.

Yes, Sin, I love Alexisonfire. Easily one of my favorite bands. They are Canadian, so of course, they are a big deal up here. I think I've seen them play more than any other band. Have you heard of City & Colour? It's Dallas Green's side project, also a very cool band if your into a more acoustic sound. The name Evans Blue sounds familiar but I'm going to have to say I don't think I've heard any of their tunes.
BarnyardLovin
BarnyardLovin
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Melancholy Spirit Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:53 pm

Ah, that is cool. Most people I’ve known are your typical cliché ‘elitist’ and only listen to a one style of punk. Most of them listening only to the original punk up through the 70’s and 80’s more punk-rock feel and then celtic punk. I prefer the more punk-rock feel myself, though I also liked quite a bit of the (very) underground music that came out of the ‘post-punk’ era of the late 70’s in England when they used mostly, if not entirely, synths. I understand enjoying a lot more than just punk, ‘tis how I am but replace punk with metal. Heheh.

Have you ever heard of the band Klamydia? Pretty decent punk-rock band, though you have to be willing to listen to lyrics in Finnish. Not many people I know have ever heard of them, and I only have because of Alexi Laiho (guitarist/vocalist in Children of Bodom) wearing theirs shirts.
The Melancholy Spirit
The Melancholy Spirit
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:51 pm

hahah Yes. The one in which I live does. The one in which I work and such is probably about the same size. I'm not sure. Maybe it's smaller. We've had a Wal-Mart since I moved here when I was seven, along with two grocery stores ((one the average grocery store, the other a health food store)). Because of the Maharishi movement, we have a huge variety of restaurants from Asian to Italian to the American to everything between. Apparently, we have more restaurants per ca pita than San Francisco. =3 Okay... I seriously need to stop selling my town to people...

I'm glad you like my set-up. I'm very proud of it, myself. hahah

I think I'm going to bring a couple of hundred dollars with me in May, honestly. I know there are going to be things that I really really want, and Laura told me that clothing is especially expensive because it's all hand made. I'm really excited for it.

Anyway, I'm going to go check out your pictures now! ^^_^^

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Kitty Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Oh. Oh, no. That bad pun in your title sucked me in, and now that I've read some of the thread I can't leave until I've posted something. Damn, but that was a cunning plan, and it got me hook line and sinker. I hope you're proud of yourself.

The 'something interesting' that you've got to write in playscript style seems like it'd be a breeze to you. Although the trouble with playscript style is that it's mostly light on the description, until it isn't. And that's when it gets you.

Yeah, I've read the entire thread, but hopping into someone else's conversation, thread or not, just seems to me to be rude somehow. So I don't tend to reference anything I've read there; I prefer to 'blatantly eavesdrop'.

Anyway, since I adamantly refuse to give out my real name over the internets1, you can call me Kitty. Or Bad. Or BK. Or Row- Goddammit!

Actually, 'Goddammit' is an acceptable nickname too. Reminds me of 'Dammit' and 'Killit'.

1 E-stalkers! EEEK!

Bad Kitty
Bad Kitty
Mist
Mist

Back to top Go down

Post by BarnyardLovin Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:53 am

Spirit, props on the Children of Bodom reference. I haven't listened to them in a while. Quite the insane band. If you like them, you've probably already heard of Protest the Hero. Protest puts on insane shows and they make fun of the audience for liking them the entire time. I used to listen to the older punk, but never as much as the newer. I think my older punk mainly extends to Clash, Ramones, Anti-Flag, Blink 182, Misfits, and NOFX. I have not heard of Klamydia due to my inability to comprehend finnish. Razz .

Kathyrn, we just met, I don't think I'll be moving down to your town just yet. Razz.

Thank you, Kitty, for getting got. Ya, I have a decent enough idea about Edmonton in a post-apocolyptic world and a play about a crazed wannba-ballet dancer who is the only survivor of the apocalypse because he bought a Sears 1934 Coldspot fridge and hid in it during the apocalypse and a man who was cloned and born in a testube in a facility after the apocalypse. The only thing is finding time to write it. I work two jobs right now, cooking, and preparing a dance piece for a festival in march in Edmonton which will also appear in a festival in Calgary in June. I have no life.

Last edited by BarnyardLovin on Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:10 am; edited 1 time in total
BarnyardLovin
BarnyardLovin
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:58 am

Will you be offended if I'm relieved that you're not moving here? Crazy stalkers aren't my cup of tea. ^^_^^;;

OMG... Your idea sounds so funny! When you write it out, you should share it!

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by BarnyardLovin Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:05 am

I am, deeply.

And, of course I will, I have two pages so far but I want to put some meat on it before I show it to anyone. I'm hoping for at least twenty solid pages before I submit it on the 21st.
BarnyardLovin
BarnyardLovin
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Melancholy Spirit Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:16 am

Heheh, I’m currently wearing the t-shirt that I got on October 9th when I saw Children of Bodom at the Regency Ballroom in San Fran. Had a meet & greet with them as well, definitely worth the extra money for that. It was the second time I saw them, first time meeting them though. Only two concerts I’ve ever been to, which really sucks because the first time I saw them I found out from a guy who lives down there that Nightwish had played two days earlier just down the street. I have indeed heard of Protest the Hero, though I’ve honestly never spent much time listening to them.

That is the oldest kind of punk I listen to as well, really… aside from the underground post-punk stuff. The early 60’s punk wasn’t as appealing to me. Of course, neither is the newer stuff really but then I don’t listen too much of anything newer than around ’93 if it isn’t from Europe; aside from a few bands like Agalloch, Woods of Ypre, Kamelot, and such. Haha, I can understand that. I can’t comprehend much of it either but I love the language and listen to a decent amount of bands that use it. Most of them folk metal. Very Happy But I also listen to a lot of music that uses languages ranging from Finnish, Italian, Latin, German, Swedish, Norwegian, Gaelic and even Elvish. Yes, I said Elvish (Sindarin). ^^
The Melancholy Spirit
The Melancholy Spirit
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BarnyardLovin Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:18 am

Wow, Melancholy, that is some pretty intense first two concerts. I hope you moshed accordingly. Do you have any good mosh stories? I know I do if you'd like to swap. Smile.

Thats pretty crazy you listen to Elvish metal. J.R.R. Tolkien Elvish? It reminds me of a buddy of mine who, when asked to sign things, signs them in Tolkien Dwarvish. Its pretty lame, but retains the awesome factor. Not going to lie, I have never heard of any of those other bands you listen to. Thats kind of the beauty of punk though.

I can't remember their name but last year I was at a Dragonforce concert and one of the opening bands was a Norwegian band named "Brothers of ...." something. I can't remember honestly, but they played a wickedly insane metal cover of Ra Ra Rasputin and had a girl who played an instrument that looked like a fusion of piano and accordion. Heard of them? It was pretty rad, the chick with the weird instrument and Dragonforce's keytar player improved an instrumental song together. Beautiful.

Also, I have posted what I have so far in the Critiques section of the Written Works and Journalism Critiques forum under the title "Radiate".
BarnyardLovin
BarnyardLovin
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:14 am

OMG... I love the song "Ra Ra Rasputin" by Boney M. It makes me sooo happy. I want to hear that cover now. ^o_o^

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by The Melancholy Spirit Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:03 pm

Actually, to be honest I’ve never done the moshing thing. The first concert I was right up front in the center (at first, on the left side near the end) about three feet from the stage. The most awesome thing was the next day Henkka (Children of Bodom bassist) posted on their website that San Fran had the best audience during the entire tour and, I quote, “Especially right in front of me” which is where we were. The second time I was on the balcony where a friend and I recorded the entire show; Roope kept looking up at everyone and ‘shooting them’ with his guitar and giving weird hand signs which was great. Very Happy

Yeah, there are a few bands that use Elvish from time to time. Typically more black metal oriented stuff. There is also a Celtic band that used it in one song that turned out quite beautiful. I’ve memorized a few lines of Elvish but not much… I know a decent amount of curses in Drow though. Wink

Brothers of… hmm… I’ve heard of Brother Firetribe but that is completely different and I don’t think they have ever toured with Dragonforce. However, I do know of the band Turisas who are a folk metal act from Finland. They have two members who play accordion and violin and they did do a cover of the song, though they’re title is merely ‘Rasputin’. They band dress up like warriors and have their flesh painted with red and black usually. Which is really amusing in the video they did for Rasputin where they come waltzing into a disco joint to play that song.

Here is the link to the song, by itself, for Kathryn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLo02AquUCs

Here is the music video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdkBs0VCSX0

If that isn’t the same version you heard then I’ve not heard the one you’re referring to… but I’m quite sure it probably is. I remember when looking at what bands were to play at The Warfield they had a sign for Dragonforce and Turisas, and that was back on September 21st, 2008. So… I’m just assuming it is the same version but I could be wrong.
The Melancholy Spirit
The Melancholy Spirit
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:10 pm

I think the song really is just called "Rasputin" anyway, even the original version by Boney M.

They were really true to the original. I love this. It's not even intensely harder than the disco version. I mean, it is harder ((and faster)), but it's still so familiar. I think I prefer the one by Boney M., though. The feminine voices just work better for the verses, and I'm not fond of it being so much faster. It is fun to hear remakes of songs I love, though.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by The Melancholy Spirit Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:08 pm

To this day I've yet to hear the original, but honestly had I heard the original I'd still probably love the version by Turisas and like it more. I think the fast pace and everything add an intensity to the song that make it, as Barnyard said, wickedly insane. I would love to be at a concert and see the audience reaction to that song. Very Happy

I think the reason I like the fat pace is also because you can hear the folk elements they put into it. I mean, that’d be expected considering that they play folk metal anyway, eh? But, then again I end up preferring a lot of the covers bands from Europe do over the originals. For instance Children of Bodom have done a lot of covers and most of them are quite amazing. They’re version of Hell is for Children is amazing. They stayed very true to the original with just heavier guitar and Alexi’s more torn vocals which I feel compliment the emotion of the lyrics more than in the original. Though I still love Pat’s version. They also did Rebel Yell, and is one of the few tracks where Alexi has ever done clean vocals (it and a song by Warmen). There is also the little humor-piece where they made a cover of Oops… I did it again. Laughing

I have seen Turisas play Rasputin live, but it was only on a clip of them at Paganfest that I got with the special edition of their last album. Watching them play it was amazing. It was also humorous when the violinist came up and got most of the crowd to shout ‘Fuck the guitar solos’. ^^ It makes me wonder if he ever did it when they played with Dragonforce… I mean, at Paganfest he mentioned Herman Li by name as one of the guitarist references while talking to the crowd. By the look on his face even he was surprised at how many people joined in for the shout.
The Melancholy Spirit
The Melancholy Spirit
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down