FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Feathers joins your party!

+4
Edon
Kalon Ordona II
Weiss
Feathers
8 posters

Go down

Feathers joins your party! Empty Feathers joins your party!

Post by Feathers Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:55 am

Hello, and It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance! And I apologize for the dorky title. I'm a little more nervous than I thought I'd be. It's been a while since I've joined a new forum, and the butterflies wont go away.

Okay, deep breath. One, two...

Right! Well, I'll just charge through the anxiety, then!
Feathers, at your service! And like most people here, I've arrived because I have a passion for the literary arts. Well, that and because a good friend of mine invited me. As the last forum I frequented began to lose its luster, I found few other outlets for creativity, so when Weiss introduced me to FOG, naturally I was excited at the prospect of a forum where quality was valued. Which only grew as I explored, and read through the active roleplaying threads.

Through what experiences I've had, I've noticed that inspiration will often bounce back and forth between writers passionate about their work, so I'm amazed to see a whole community of people who are genuinely invested in their creations. It's almost a little intimidating, actually. And while I begin to question my own abilities, I also can't wait to see where I fit in a place like this. As I'm quite the perfectionist, when I work on something, I strive to make it the best I can. I don't feel satisfied unless I can look back on something I completed and think, "I worked as hard as I could; this is the level of my ability, now". And throughout my few years of writing in this venue, I've been constantly pushing myself to improve with every post.

The great thing about this creative medium is that when there's improvement, the subjects that I'm writing about will follow suit. So they will in turn be more real, and more nuanced, than what I worked on before. And since reading in itself is fun, I can look back on my progress in an enjoyable way. There are few things better than seeing your hard work realized in a fully believable character, or a beautifully crafted world.

Uhm, that developed a rather serious tone to it, didn't it? Okay! On to other things.

Next to writing, I suppose one of my other hobbies are graphic design. My avatar and the signature below are both my own works (I hope the animated part doesn't bother anyone). Another thing that drew me towards FOG was the freedom granted for signature and avatar dimensions. The last forum I came from was very restrictive concerning this, and sometimes it was difficult to restrain myself so I didn't go beyond the file size limit. 700x200 for signatures, and 150x200 for avatars is just amazing. +3 Feathers influence for Administrator. Thank you!

Among more mundane things, I love to read (of course) and my favorite authors are: George R.R. Martin, Jacqueline Carey, Robert Jordan (R.I.P.), Brandon Sanderson, and Scott Lynch. I also go snowboarding occasionally, although I'm really bad at it and I fall a lot and hurt myself, and I can also play guitar. Video games are a big hobby of mine as well, although I mostly play RPGs (thread title was kind-of a hint at that) or games that are fun with friends, and I'm super, super excited for Dragon Age: Origins, and one day I absolutely will work at BioWare.

Since I'm trying to keep this as short as I can, I'll end it here. Thank you so much if you've actually read this far!

Last edited by Feathers on Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:04 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : I forgot to actually attach the signature. Haha~ ^ ^;)
Feathers
Feathers
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Feathers joins your party! Empty Re: Feathers joins your party!

Post by Weiss Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:00 am

Since I want to be the first to greet you, I'm not reading the intro just yet.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS, FEATHERS!

Glad to have you on board, kiddo.
Weiss
Weiss
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:06 am

Whoa. Yup, you're definitely a friend of Weiss's. xD
I can't speak for anyone else, but I read the whole thing. Any friend of Weiss's is a friend of mine. cheers

Welcome to the FOG, Feathers! I love your avatar!

There's lots to see and to do around here, so please make yourself at home.
I'm definitely looking forward to role-playing with you sometime! Very Happy
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Feathers Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:38 am

Thank you so much, Kalon!

I didn't expect anyone to reply this quickly (aside from Weiss), so that's a nice surprise. And I'd love to role-play with you sometime! As you put it, a friend of Weiss is a friend of mine. And as for the avatar, I'm really glad you like it. I worked rather hard to design both it, and the signature. Of course, the real credit goes to the amazing artist who drew the character featured in it.
Feathers
Feathers
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Edon Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:11 am

I read it all and I have got to say, you have nothing to be worried about. I can tell already that you must be a very capable and passionate writer. So you should fit in just fine, if anything the rest of us should be a bit intimidated!

Either way, welcome to our lil' hole in the wall. =D
Edon
Edon
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Feathers Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:15 am

Well thank you for the vote of confidence, Edon!

You all certainly seem like a friendly bunch so far, and I'm already beginning to feel at home. I already moved FOG to the top of my bookmarks, so I'm anticipating frequent visits here. I think a lot of my anxiety came from thinking too much, but if everyone here is like you and Kalon, it appears I had nothing at all to worry about.
Feathers
Feathers
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:25 am

Hello, Feathers! (I absolutely love your name and your avatar and signature. ^_^ Those are some of the most amazing I've seen!)

Feathers joins your party! WelcomeToFOG

I must say, you are quite adorable. :3 It's so cool too that you are a friend of Weiss! He's a good guy.

Let me also say that you've absolutely nothing to fear or worry about. Simply judging by your introduction, your writing is very well done and worth much confidence. Being a perfectionist too helps, I'm sure. :]

There are few things better than seeing your hard work realized in a fully believable character, or a beautifully crafted world.
That is so very true, and it makes all the hard work and effort to keep improving worth it.

Ahh, so you created your own avatar and signature! Wow, well lovely work! Graphic Design sounds like a fun major. Both Axiom (the other Administrator) and I are also in art-related fields. He's Web Graphic Design, while I'm Video Game Art and Design. I've never truly learned how to animate though (besides 3D animation in 3D Studio Max), so I'm not familiar with how to edit motion into an avatar or signature, so you have much of my envy there! Your designing skills alone for those are simply beautiful and amazing. I'm sure you will go far in the designing world! Very Happy (Oh, and I'm glad that our limitations allow you a lot more freedom! ^^)

That would be so amazing if you worked at BioWare someday!! They're located in Canada though, it appears (unless that's where you live lol). I had dreams of working at a big gaming company myself, so I frequently would visit http://www.gamedevmap.com/ to look at each location and see what companies are there. Now, however, I really am not loving my major and have no passion for 3D modeling/texturing/animating/etc, and I would hate to do it for a career, so I'm not really sure what to do with myself. I graduate this coming spring though, so I'm just going to get my degree and see where I go from there. (I originally thought my major was all 2D art-related, since no one ever told me a thing about it being 3D when I applied, but evidently they just wanted my money lol. I later began to realize the ugly truth.)

Well, anyway, welcome! It's so great to have you here. Smile
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★

Female

http://trynethetimetraveler.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragter the junior greeter Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:14 pm

You seem like a pretty cool gal. Hope you enjoy your zetta awesome time here at the FOG.

Bippity Boppity Boo, Ragter left the Perfectly Pretty Party.
Ragter the junior greeter
Ghost
Ghost

Male

http://www.google.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Inerio Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:26 pm

I'm excited for Dragon Age too!

I love your setup, I'm jealous of your graphic design abilities. I also lol'ed at the title. That's probably because I'm playing an RPG right now.

Welcome to FOG Feathers.
Inerio
Inerio
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:55 am

Welcome to FoG, Feathers.

Everyone else has already said that you have no need to worry, so I won't elaborate any more on that point. I'll just add my reassurance to the pile.

I think you're a really great graphic designer judging by your set-up. They're really amazing, and very detailed. One thing you'll have to keep in mind with the signature is that the forum itself will cut off a portion of it if it's too wide, so just be careful with that. I know part of the end of your signature was missing, so I decided to copy the image location and paste it in another tab to see the rest.

The animation in it is subtle enough that it's not going to bother me. By subtle, I mean it's not IN-YO'-FACE! I like it. ^^_^^

I hope to see you around the boards more. =3

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Feathers Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:12 am

Thank you all for the kind replies!

Fate Foretold: If Axiom is the web designer for FOG, please send him my compliments. I've loved everything here so far down to the font! And the banner really gets me in the mood to do something creative. I think it's just the perfect setting for a mental world transition, if that makes any sense. Although, that could just show how much The Nightmare Before Christmas influenced me as a child. x3

And I think its so cool that you're in Video Game Art and Design! I played around a bit in Milkshape 3D, thinking I could learn as I went along, as I did with Photoshop, but it was so much more complicated than I anticipated. After seeing first hand how complex something like that can be, I have total respect for people who are accomplished in using those sorts of modelling programs. Along with creativity, it seems like there is so much technical skill required to make anything worthwhile.

And thank you for showing me the gamedevmap website; I had no idea something like that existed. I knew BioWare was in Canada, although the exact location was fuzzy, so it's nice so see it pinpointed. But they could be half way across the world and I'd still relocate just to work there. Haha~.

Ragter: I'm not really sure what "zetta" means, but I appreciate the welcome all the same!

Inerio: I'm glad that the title made someone laugh. I feel less like a dork, now. And Dragon Age can't come out soon enough! I've been trying to force myself to forget about it for a while, so that I don't have to suffer the aching wait, and yet I keep visiting the game forums daily to check if any new information has come out. >w< It's horrible! I suppose the books will have to keep me satisfied until November...

Kathryn: I'm really thankful for your post, because you've clarified something for me that I've been worried about for a while; the animation in my signature, I mean. This is really the first time I've used animation in a widely public way, so I'm glad that it doesn't seem too exaggerated or anything.

And I suppose I'm not very good at polishing my work, if the flaws were noticeable. Its just that my Photoshop projects often end up totally convoluted with extra or invisible layers and other details, that I can't immediately catch everything that's wrong with it after its been completed. I think it appears as it should be, now. Although I can't help but think that somehow someone else is seeing something totally different than I am. >_>;

C'est la vie.

But in any case, thank you for the welcome! I look forward to getting more acquainted with you and everyone else here at FOG!

Last edited by Feathers on Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:14 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Just general spelling fixes. I should really stop posting at three in the morning. >_>;)
Feathers
Feathers
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:29 am

Hey, Feathers. Welcome to FOG! Thank you for the compliments on the site. I can't take credit for it all though. Fate and I have worked together on the majority of it Smile Judging by your signature, you definitely have a tremendous amount of talent. I hope you reach your goal of working at BioWare someday! They also have a studio in Austin, TX - BioWare Jobs. Anyway, I hope you enjoy your stay here Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragter the junior greeter Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:09 pm

Feathers, I enjoyed the title too..not playing any RPGs at the moment though because my DS won't turn on at all and the computer I'm using right now is pure garbage when it comes to playing any PC games.

As for your signature and avatar, I have to agree with everyone else..fantastically well done, I could never do it even if I tried, probably. Oh, and zetta? It means 1000000000000000000000. Smile
Ghost
Ghost

Male

http://www.google.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down