FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The brooch of Tel'Kariath

+2
Hope
Drunut
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The brooch of Tel'Kariath Empty The brooch of Tel'Kariath

Post by Drunut Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:26 pm

Yep, i think I've got enough done to constitute a topic now.

Story
Long ago, before the age of men there was the age of the elves. A pristine time of peace and advancement of magic and the arts. Such wonderful works were attained that no man can even imagine. Among the elves were Master Artificers. These beings created magical Artifacts of prodigious power. On of witch was an Elven Artificer by the name of Tel'Kariath.

Tel'Kariath believed that the elements of life could be controlled and formed into a solid object. Her entire life (averaging at around 2,500 years) was spent pursuing this one goal. On the way she created countless advances in Life magic theory. Finally, in her last days of living she felt she was prepared to create the Artifact. Gathering all her past knowledge she summoned the spirit of life and sealed a portion of it's power inside an amber brooch. While successful, the transmutation required her life as a sacrifice.

It has been thousands of years since the fall of the elves, and a hundred thousand years since Tel'Kariath died. And while magic abounds and there are still Humans who have attempted to wield magic like the elves, none have succeeded. Now as natural magic leftover from the subversion is dwindling, certain parties have delved into Elven lore searching for other sources of magic. Tel'Kariath's brooch is one of them.

What you need to know
This is set in a magical world (Think Orcs, humans, trolls, goblins etc.) Magic is based on drawing Mana from the earth and stars. Elves had found ways to transport large amounts of mana from the heavens, but such technology has since been lost. Now only traces of mana are found here and there. So the most you could do with unaided magic (either from Mana crystals or your own natural mana) is mundane. Drawing mana straight from the earth is considered Black Magic. (it sucks mana from the living things from around you.)

If you are interested in wielding magic, tell me and I'll give you in-depth info.

Other than that, elves are rarely if ever found (very very very very very very rare.) but those that do live are adept wielders of magic, being able to store larger amounts of mana in themselves.

Character Sheet

Name:
Race:
Appearance:
Equipment:
Background: Prefer if you didn't go all out, post full bios in your Char. thread if they are really long.
Other:

As a side note, I will have to approve races if your not human. Also, I can give background or explanation on anything you can think of. And if you really want to know about the Subversion of the Elves, I can make it!

I can give clarification as needed! Very Happy
Drunut
Drunut
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

The brooch of Tel'Kariath Empty Re: The brooch of Tel'Kariath

Post by Hope Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:40 pm

I like your idea, but I'm confused as to what our characters would be trying to accomplish. Sorry. T.T
Hope
Hope
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Drunut Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:49 pm

The Characters are trying to get the Brooch of Tel'Kariath (for various reasons, wether it be to sell, to bring to the magical world, to use for power etc.) OR trying to kill the people questing for the Brooch. (it'll all make sense once I post the first post in IC, which will be in a bit.)

Sorry if I didn't Clarify on that XD

Also, it's not just gonna be a "find it lying in the dirt." Powerful magic attracts all sorts of Mythical goodies! (being things trying to kill you. Kill you dead.)

Once more, if I'm vague just ask and ye shall receive. (o.o)
Drunut
Drunut
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Aesalon Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:58 pm

Dangit!! I wanna find the pretty bauble in the dirt...wahhahahahahahaaaaa.
I also think that I deserve a sword +6 of Demon Slaying that can cast a level 20 Fireball 6 times per day...oh, and the great "You Cant Hurt" me armor...oh, and a wand of unlimited wish spells, oh, and an ancient pet Red Dragon... *cough*

...sorry, my D&D background spillith over...
Aesalon
Aesalon
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

http://www.fbnparanormal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Drunut Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:02 pm

SURE YOU CAN HAVE THAT STUFF!!! It's just you have to sell your soul to Cthulu, sacrifice yourself to become a lich (and make your Phylactery a ball of glass) invoke ancient dark arts, likely kill off 9 tenths of the planet, and then go on a mystical quest through all the planes of existence! YAY! (and then theres the magical Red Tape! Sneak attack critical for fun!)
Drunut
Drunut
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Aesalon Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:08 pm

Yeah...my character already did all that in my OTHER campaign. :medievalfight: What do you mean I can't transfer my "Helmet of Channeling the Power of Thor"? I got it fair and square by killing 2 kobold warriors...I mean, they were big for kobolds...
Aesalon
Aesalon
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Drunut Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:26 pm

Last edited by Drunut on Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Drunut
Drunut
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Aesalon Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:50 pm

wow...that is evil, I don't even have a response to that... Fear

Anyway, here is my character proposal

Character Sheet

Name: Yanarin Alannon

Race: Human

Appearance: 5 Foot 7 Inches tall, 160 pounds. Wears the sand colored robes of the Brotherhood of Alannon. Burn scars on the hands and arms are mostly covered by the robes. Hair is brown, Eyes are brown.

Equipment: Carries a footman's war hammer and a single hatchet that is balanced as a throwing axe.

Background: (A more specific Background will be posted in my character log.) Yanarin is a refugee - the monastary destroyed, he is looking to find his own way in the world and eventually wants to find whoever killed his brothers and why. He has served for the last two months on a seagoing vessel as a shallow draftsman. (He has also picked up the nickname "Gull" for his daily routine of perching on the cross masts at sunrise and sunset.)

Other: Is a fair Hand-to-hand fighter, and is trained with both of the weapons that he carries. He is a journyman level blacksmith and has experience as a sailor.
Aesalon
Aesalon
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Drunut Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:52 pm

Cool, you're inducted!
Drunut
Drunut
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:12 pm

Thinking about joining.
:3
Just give me a day or two to come up with a character.

Back to top Go down

Post by Drunut Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:28 pm

Yay! Another! iz ok.
(and yes, you can actually be an elf, juz needs to be approved.)

Anyways, heres my Character,

Name: Gin Hubbard
Appearance: Gin is tall with long black hair and a slight beard (not really a beard, but I think you get it.). He is around 6 foot 2 and muscular. He also has assorted tattoos to ward dangerous mythical stuff. (like possession etc.)See equipment for what he wears.
Equipment: Gin wears a large coat (with lots of pockets for stuff) under which is an average brown tunic, and wide brimmed hat on occasion. He wears heavy brown pants and boots (a few knives in each). Given his trade, he tends to carry around various objects, ranging from silver daggers to saltpeter.
Background: Gin's parents were killed by a minor witch when he was around 15. Full of vengeance, Gin learned how to kill the witch (and then killed her Razz). Gin discovered that he quite liked killing the witch so he decided to go into hunting Myths around the land. This mostly consisted of witches, bogarts, and common ghost. Thought occasionally he has confronted major beings. (one shining example is a lich.) And as such is well known for his dealings with magic. Gin also has a cohort by the name of Ohg (an orc) who researches the magic side of his dealings. Among other things.
Other: If you haven't Guessed, he's a Witch Hunter. Think Van Helsing in D&D if you're having trouble.

Last edited by Drunut on Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Drunut
Drunut
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:07 pm

Question:
Would something like Wolfborn or Foxphyre type characters be allowed?
Yes. I'm looking a list of D&D characters.

Back to top Go down

Post by Drunut Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:36 pm

( I lol'd when the links were just an empty page Very Happy )

Anyways, I DID find the pages, and I would not think so. Or more appropriately you could, but you would be treated as an almost one-of-a-kind freak of nature and a devil-spawn. (and likely someone my guy would be paid to go kill! 8| )

Even in the current times Orcs are treated much as a black man would be treated in the 1800's. They are humans who were essentially bastardized by magic. So I would have to say maybe. If executed correctly I would allow it. But you have to remember that you probably won't be able to walk into a city without being run out "Frankenstein's Monster" style. I will say though, my guy probably won't kill on sight. He's not exactly a religious guy.

You ever read Spice and Wolf? (it's a Manga) you'de be treated kind of like Horo. Constantly persecuted by religious (or superstitious) people. But sure! go for it!

If I was a little confusing just tell me. My thoughts are a little unorganized.
Drunut
Drunut
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:40 pm

Oh! I'm interested! I'm already formulating a plan for a character. ^^_^^

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Drunut Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:43 pm

Yay!! ^.^ growth is always good.

Also, I forgot to mention, this is "high fantasy" but not high as in "space" high. It's more of a fantasy world that was once really high fantasy (see time of the elves.) but has in recent years begun winding down. (with the loss of elves, many "fantasy" beings also saw their end.)

It is changing into the age of Men, sadly.

Also, I can't believe no one caught me saying Gin was "A Hitch Hunter."
Drunut
Drunut
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Aesalon Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:46 pm

...I thought maybe you meant that he was looking for someone to marry...?
Aesalon
Aesalon
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:49 pm

I caught that, but I thought you had your own meaning, and I forgot to ask what it was because I was too busy putting a link in my signature.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Drunut Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:53 pm

XD Gin's not really looking to settle down much. A bit of a free spirit you could say. The girl would have to be pretty adventurous...

Also, when you two get you're characters up we can start.

Last edited by Drunut on Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Drunut
Drunut
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:04 pm

I know this is becoming the age of humans, but would a mythical creature who was part animal part human be acceptable? I'm thinking I would make her very active and she would also have a deep knowledge of herb lore that could be translated into healing arts with herbs or poisons and whatnot, too.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Drunut Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:16 pm

Yes, you can have a half-human. But you WILL be hated and/or persecuted by most humans. It is also important to note that you will be very very very rare. (You maybe see two in a human lifetime if you aren't actively looking for them.) So I wouldn't exactly suggest it. Most common races (that aren't just beasts) in order are:

1.Humans (45-50%)
2.Orcs (30-25%)
3.Goblins (10%)
4.Half-orcs---------|
5.Half-trolls---------|-- (10%)
6.Half-humans---|
7.Elves (1%)
leaving 4% for every other major sentient race.

In a way, each race either hates their Half-kin or is neutral. Orcs are nuetral to Half-Orcs, Trolls are nuetral to half-trolls (NOTE: Half-trolls count in this list but Trolls do not), Humans hate half-humans, and Elves (what that are left) absolutely HATE goblins.
Drunut
Drunut
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:20 pm

Hmm.
I might make a Wolfborn character who might happen to be someone's pet or someone on the run Gin is after.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:27 pm

Soo... she would be in the 10%. She could always cover her ears with a hat and her tail with a cloak or something.

Questions:
Drunut: 1. Is your character one who is prone to hunting those who are after the brooch, or is your character going to be part of the party going after it?
2. What exactly does the brooch do, or is that knowledge lost?

Aeslalon: I take it your character will be going after the brooch, too?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Name
Nemera

Race
¼ Ocelot, ¾ Human

Unknown; Appears to be anywhere from her late teens to her early twenties

Appearance
Nemera is of an average height with an athletic figure. This particular femme is one fourth feline and three fourths human with her feline characteristics more closely resembling those of an ocelot. Her skin is naturally lightly tanned with a splash of dark spots around her temples, accentuating her eyes. These spots also line her spine beginning at the hairline along the back of her neck as small, dark spots and gradually growing into black ringed, dark brown filled rosettes the further down her spine they travel. Thick, golden brown hair sprouts from her skull, falling in slight waves to her shoulder blades. Small, discreet highlights of copper may be seen in direct sunlight and noticeable streaks of black shoot through her hair with the occasional splatter of miniature, solid black dots. Protruding from that mass of hair, from the sides of the top of her head, are two rounded ears much like those of an ocelot with fur coloured like her hair. The natural markings along her spine keep going and spread out to cover her long, furry tail. The fur along said tail is the same golden brown of her hair on top, though it gradates to white underneath. Beneath two well-arched brows sit large, round eyes. Though shaped more humanoid than feline, the irises and pupils react more like those of felines; however, like a human, they have whites rather than the iris taking up the entire eye. In direct sunlight they appear to be amber coloured, but as lights dim her eyes become darker, taking on colours from dark brown to ebony. Full lips are a few shades darker than her skin. Her teeth are mostly like those of a human, however her canines are sharper. The femme’s fingers are long and tipped with slightly curved, strong claws. These same style of claws serve as toenails, as well.

Equipment
Two curved bone daggers of small and medium sizes
A bow
A quiver filled with arrows
A belt
Many pouches containing various herbs, seeds, and vials filled with varying herbal extracts and mixtures
A wide, but appealing leather hat to hide her ears
A long, moss green cloak not only for obvious reasons but also to hide her tail
Brown, leather, fingerless gloves
Brown, leather toeless, thong boots
Faded, blue-green tights
Faded, blue-green sleeve-like tights that don’t attach to the shirt
Moss green, top with a white stripe and a knotted embroidered design on the front

Background
Nemera never knew her animalistic father, but her human mother trained her in the art of herb lore ever since she could talk. She taught her everything from healing arts to poisons. They lived in a dense woodland area a few miles away from a village where the girl’s mother could buy things she needed while still keeping her strange looking from persecution.

Living in the woods, she learned to hunt, gather, climb, run, and she learned how to move silently. Despite her great love for the wilderness, Nemera craved companionship of other humans- for she knew of no other creatures like her other than her father who had disappeared before her birth. Her mother made her a hat and cloak to hide the most obvious marks of strangeness, and powder from a plant was applied to her skin to hide the spots on her face.

She went out when the days were overcast or the sun was fading when her eyes were darkest and most human looking, so she faired all right with very little persecution from others.

After hearing stories of interesting adventures in taverns and in the markets, she has decided she would also like to be in a party of adventure seekers, but she has yet to develop a goal for such a quest, not to mention others would travel with her- though she has heard a couple rumors about a magickal artifact that would be interesting to find.

Other
Nemera is not only skilled with herb lore, but she is also skilled with her daggers and her bow and arrows. Her sight is as keen as her aim, and she rarely misses a mark. Her body is fit and agile, and she is quick. She is able to quickly scale tall trees, buildings, and posts with the aid of her strength, speed, and claws. She is also quite stealthy when she wishes to be.
The last six equipment items are depicted in the artwork Wood Elf by Elsa Kroese ©️2004

Last edited by Kathryn Lacey on Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:49 am; edited 2 times in total

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Aesalon Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:03 am

Aye, Yanarin will be going after the brooch. (Because he hears a rumor from his shipmates about the item...details to follow.) Very Happy
Aesalon
Aesalon
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:13 am

Name: Lias [Lee-as] Silverfang
Race: Form-Changer [HumanxFoxphyre]
Appearance:
Lias stands at 5'6'' and her weight falls around 115lbs, give or take a few pounds. Her figure is feminine, yet slender and sleek. Bright, turquoise hair spouts from her skull and it falls in thick waves until it reaches her lower back. Twin pools of pure silver sit under slender brows and turquoise fringe sometimes covers the left one. Her nose is cute and small and her full lips are light pink. She typically wears tight clothing that show off her figure well. Her top is just thick enough to cover her chest, leaving her shoulders and stomach exposed. Her pants start at her hips and they fall all the way down to her toes. She wears sandal-like shoes that are hardly seen due to her pants. At her thighs, there is a slit in the pants where she can slip her hand in to grab the daggers she keeps strapped to her thighs. She wears black, fingerless gloves on her hands at all times. Around her neck is a dark, leather collar.

Being a form-changer, Lias can change her appearance to that of her Foxphyre blood. When she changes form, Lias gains four, long, thick tails that come from her tail bone. Her eyes seem to become more feral and her canines grow out to a sharp point.
Equipment:
Ten, small silver daggers that she keeps strapped to her thighs with leather.
Leather Black Top
Black Fingerless Gloves
Silk-like Black Pants
Sandal-Like Shoes
A simple belt
Two pouches
A dark leather collar
Background:
Her mother was human and her father was a Foxphyre. Instead of being half of each, Lias came out as a Form-Changer. Her mother was glad for this because now she could hide her Foxphyre traits. The young Lias grew up living a normal childhood. The only ones who knew of her tainted blood were her parents and the village elder. He thought that Lias and her parents should leave the village to make sure their daughter would be safe. Listening to the elder, her parents packed up their things and they left the village to live a new life.

At age six, her father was killed in a fire. She had been out with her mother picking berries and other fruits. Upon returning home, they found a burnt down house and no sign of her father. With nothing left, her mother committed suicide, leaving poor Lias all alone. In her extreme emotional state, she couldn't control her form changing and two tails came from her tail bone. Her eyes became feral and her canines grew a little bit. Right after her change, a few of the villagers who burned the house came to make sure the Foxphyre was dead. When they spotted Lias, they chased her away.

From there, the form changer grew up on her own. Lately, she has been hearing stories about an artifact that held great powers. Curios about it, the form changer decided she might see if anyone else was going to look for it and she might join their group. As long as she could keep her emotions in check, Lias knew she could trick the people she traveled with.
Other:
Lias only shows her Foxphyre half when her emotions are unstable. Due to this, she sometimes comes off as cold to those around her. She does this to keep herself from getting too excited or hurt by someone, which would cause her to change.

--Hope its okay.--

Back to top Go down

Post by Aesalon Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:34 pm

I know we havn't really started yet, but I am away next week (if you haven't already seen that in the announcements section)
Drunut, I would think that if you guys go ahead and get it started, I can adapt my character a little and write him into the story when I get back.
Just let me know.

-Aes
Aesalon
Aesalon
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Drunut Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:25 pm

SORRY I HAVEN'T BEEN ON X( PLEASE DON'T KILL ME!!!

Yeah, was caught up in planning stuff all day yesterday (which included actually canoeing...) and I couldn't get on, but do not fear, Drunut is here!

@Kathryn: your character is awesome! Insta-accept.

@Anaris: That shape-shifting seems really iffy. Can you tweak that? Maybe put some more limitations than extreme emotion. Shape-shifting is magic, and even if it's natural magic, it would take considerable energy to hide all of that.

@Aesalon: yeah, I guess we'll do that, but I also have to say I will be gone the week of Monday the 15th for a canoeing trip (Venture scout FTW). And so I will probably have to find a way to make up for that absence.

In other news, the IC IS NOW UP for those who were accepted. Anaris, tweak the char. a little and you're good to go! Very Happy
Drunut
Drunut
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:55 pm

Hmmm...
Well...
She doesn't change her shape at all.
Plus its not magic, at least I wouldn't think it was.
=/
Its something her blood does to her...
I'll think up another way it can trigger/last/whatever.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:21 pm

Questions:

1. Did you intend for all/most of the participants of the quest to gather in Val'hernan, or is that just a stop that they're making before moving into the next town?
2. How were you thinking you may want the characters to get together? Should they meet in a tavern by chance or did you have some other ideas?

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Drunut Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:40 am

1. I just had Gin there because that's where Ohg was, but it would be expedient to have those who would eventually be questing with Gin to be in or around Val'hernan, yes.

2. I was going to have Ohg give a foot-note back story and then have him tell Gin that he will probably need some help, which would lead to him going to the tavern (or another town if he has no luck there.) You could meet at the Tavern, (thought I wouldn't expect Half-humans to hang at a predominantly human tavern.) or it could be by chance. I'll leave lots of opportunities on where and when you want them to show up. It would help though, to make a post giving where your character is and what you are doing before interacting with anyone to make it easier and less awkward to create a meeting.
Drunut
Drunut
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kail DeWraith Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:13 am

Thank you so much for the LFG Comic reference. I just caught my breath from laughing so hard. This looks pretty cool. I've never done any D&D/Pen and Paper RPing. I hope this won't put me at a disadvantage. Anyway, here it goes.

----------------------------

Name: Paseni "Seni" Fala'papa'langi

Appearance: Seni stands close to 6'7, has dark skin, and is covered in tribal tattoos (even on his face). He is broad at the shoulders and is heavily muscled. Seni wears a black cloth lava lava that hangs to his mid calf. When he wears a shirt it is usually a dark color wool shirt and the occasional traveling cloak to protect him from the elements when he has to.

Equipment:
- War Spear
- bastard sword that is strapped to his back
- long knife strapped around his right calf

Background: Seni grew up in the islands. His life was spent fighting the wilds, riding the oceans waves, and fending off any enemy tribe that threatened his family. Unlike his people, Paseni wanted to see the world. He wanted to experience life outside of the tropical islands he had grown up on.

Leaving the islands at 17 Seni has since traveled far and wide across the land and experienced much. He has picked up many different skills, like fighting with a sword, and continues to learn even in his old age. Magic has never really sparked his interest but seeing the world and learning is always something he enjoys.

Other: Paseni suffers from a horribly blood lust that his people are known for. Once he is fighting very few things, short of his death or his enemies death, will stop him. Currently Seni is working as hired muscle at a tavern, that is until he has enough coin so he can take to the old dusty trail once again.

My inspiration for this is a Tongan warrior. I'm not sure if there is a specific class in D&D that covers something like this but the general idea is he is a Berserker. Please let me know if I need to change anything, if I'm accepted, etc. etc. (or if there is general criticism please let me have it!)
Kail DeWraith
Kail DeWraith
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: