FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The FOG Cookbook!

5 posters

Go down

The FOG Cookbook! Empty The FOG Cookbook!

Post by Sighlent Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:05 am

So Weiss and I were chatting on MSN and somehow or another food was brought up. So I was just going to type it up and send it to him via MSN but he had the idea to start a FOG Recipe corner. So herein is the FOG cookbook! Be sure, possibly, that you post a picture of your recipe for people to see! If you cannot than that is alright, but pictures are always lovely! And now for the first recipe:

Oven-Barbequed Chicken

The FOG Cookbook! IMG00289-20091005-1905-1
((Not the best picture as it was taken with my phone.))

2 to 3 pounds of chicken (I used four breast halves and it worked well).
1/2 cup chopped onion (I'm not partiular for onions so I ommited this).
1 clove garlic, minced.
1 tablespoon cooking oil.
3/4 cup bottle chili sauce (For those of you who, like I did, have no idea what this is, check your condoments isle. It looks like a ketchup bottle but it says 'Chili Sauce.')
2 tablespoons honey.
2 tablespoons soy sauce.
1 tablespoon yellow mustard.
1/2 teaspoon prepared horeseradish (This seemed so unappealing so I ommited it as well).
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (I added more and it became slightly spicy, but that's just a preference).

1. Arrange chicken in a baking pan and bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.
2. When it gets close to done start on your sauce! In a saucepan cook onion and garlic in hot oil until tender but not brown. Stir in chili sauce, honey, soy sauce, mustard, horseradish, and crushed red pepper; heat through. I advise you mix all of the ingredients from the chili sauce to the crushed red pepper BEFORE you put it in, otherwise your running all over the place trying to prepare it before everything else burns. I know I was at least!
3. Then brush the sauce over your chicken, put it back in the oven now with the sauce on, for 20 to 30 minutes. I did 25 just to be safe. Make sure that the inside of your chicken is no longer pink before serving! I would hate for any of you to get salmonella over something that I recommended lol.

((I made this for my hubby and we both loved it! It's very, very yummy and very easy to make! A single breast half feeds one person generally but it's a nice meal for two people. Very Happy))
Sighlent
Sighlent
Ghost
Ghost

Female

http://jennibou.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

The FOG Cookbook! Empty Re: The FOG Cookbook!

Post by Fate Flyer Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:13 am

Oooh, very nice idea! Smile It'll be great seeing what you guys make! I also could benefit from this thread, since I cannot cook or bake, so perhaps I'll learn a thing or two. XD Right now, when we eat dinner, it's like spaghetti, egg noodles and chicken, chicken fried rice from Chicken Helper, frozen fish and rice, tacos, etc. So, basically -- nothing that requires much measuring or knowledge of cooking. Sweat Drop

Mmm that oven-barbecued chicken looks delicious. The honey and mustard sound like they'd be good with it too. That sounds pretty simple to make! We should try it. Very Happy
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★

Female

http://trynethetimetraveler.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Digital Muse Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:42 am

Terrific idea! In fact, I've sent recipes to Weiss too. So I'll post them here as well when I get some pictures. Super easy and super yummy.
Digital Muse
Digital Muse
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:14 pm

*Has a sudden idea* Evil Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sighlent Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:27 pm

Digital Muse wrote:Terrific idea! In fact, I've sent recipes to Weiss too. So I'll post them here as well when I get some pictures. Super easy and super yummy.

Yeah he told me that you were always giving him ideas for food. Very Happy
Sighlent
Sighlent
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:56 pm

Since my thread pretty much died, I'll go ahead and link it here so that we can still include the recipes I added. Smile
Loki
Loki
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sighlent Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:23 pm

Wow I never knew you made one of those! Great ideas though. I'm especially partial to that cake. Mmmm, cake. Very Happy
Sighlent
Sighlent
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalaam Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:50 pm

Eh, this means I have to figure out exact amounts...
Sigh, It might happen later

Kalaam
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:25 pm

So I put up my 'taco' recipe. I don't even pretend, it's not authentic at all because it was invented by an Irish-French Canadian bastard from Maine (me).

I cook for large groups of friends, and I've got a killer rep for this sort of thing. But this particular recipe is superior to the others; I never have leftovers of this stuff. I know this is totally untraditional, because I did this recipe up myself after getting tired of dumping jars of salsa into meat to make the filling and said, "There's got to be a better way..."

That means that there is no way this is authentic so any Texans or Mexicans with complaints that this isn't how you do it...well, feck off. (In a nice way. Smile ) It's like the English and their "Curry." What gets served in London is nothing like what you get in the Auld Country.

Best not served to kids or anyone that's squeamish about heat.

Prep Time: 1 hour, or longer if you're me and you simmer stuff for a while. I suggest serving in a soft flour tortilla with freshly-shredded colby-jack, lettuce and diced tomato. Pre-shredded cheese is simply not as good, so I suggest just buying a block and grating it yourself prior to serving. You probably don't need to add seasoning to this or use a sauce of any sort, because the sauce is cooked into the meat.

2 Peppers, Red Bell
2 Peppers, Green Bell
1lbs Peppers, Jalapeno
1-2lbs, Ground Beef (or Ground Beef/Pork Mix - the superior option)
1/2-1 can Tomato Sauce
1-2 Vidalia Onion(s)
1 clove garlic
Cilantro
Tabasco Sauce
Salt
Black pepper
Cayenne Pepper
Paprika
Canola/Corn oil

1. Preheat large skillet with enough oil at the bottom to coat it. Dice onion, garlic, bell peppers (de-seed) and add in. Sautee until onions and peppers are soft and clear. Low heat, top on the pan.

2. Add meat, season with salt, black pepper, paprika and cayenne pepper. Cook all the way through with the top on the pan at medium heat.

3. When meat is thoroughly cooked, stir and simmer in own juices with the top off to reduce the juices. Low heat.

4. Prepare small skillet with oil at the bottom; de-seed, dice and sautee jalapeno peppers (wash hands thoroughly or you will be tingling for a day afterward) until soft and cooked through.

5. After simmering, drain fat from meat mixture; as much as possible, get rid of it all.

6. Add tomato sauce (half to entire can, avoid making it too soupy,) jalapeno peppers (oil and all), cilantro, tabasco sauce, and season with salt, pepper, paprika and cayenne pepper to taste. Eight shakes of tabasco sauce (do not skip -- vital for proper flavor) Simmer at low heat. The longer you simmer, the better.

6. Serve.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalaam Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:31 pm

Well, yes that is pretty off from an authentic recipe seeing as we usually use chile instead of peppers and salsa instead of tomato sauce and tobasco, but I wouldn't really expect good quality chilies to make it that far. Does look like something I would have to try before I really judge though.

Also, Texican is different from Mexican food fyi. New Mexican is good, Arizona is so/so and so far Colorado has been god awful for non-hole in the wall joints. Furthermore, mexican as you are thinking of it is really Northern Mexican food, as it changes as you go further south... But I doubt you really care. Anyway, props for a good recipe.

Personal Note: I hate tobasco sauce so, I am biased there. On the other hand I do like Habenero peppers in small quantities, so this is quite odd. I encourage everyone to try a habanero, especially the seeds

*smiles evilly*

Kalaam
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:33 pm

I've done bhut jolokia. Hotter than habanero.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sighlent Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:42 pm

Kalaam wrote:Also, Texican is different from Mexican food fyi.

-Coughs-

As I was born and raised in Texas I feel the need to correct your misconception...it's called TexMex. Not Texican. In fact I have never before in my life heard that expression. So it's quite odd. O.O
Sighlent
Sighlent
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalaam Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:25 am

I like the sound of Texican better, and yes I usually call it tex-mex as well.

Kalaam
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum