FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Timezones

5 posters

Go down

Timezones Empty Timezones

Post by Kaito Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:32 am

Hm somehow I wonder if no one else ever thought to implement this into a messageboard.

Anyways,

I have a little idea which would be really nice to have in the forum, but actually I doubt it is possible with the limited access on the board.

For the slight chance this might actually be possible to implement, I thought about having two timestamps next to each post, instead of just a single one:

One is the time of your timezone, the other one the time the original poster had.

For example my Time Zone currently is GMT+2, I don't know what you guys have, but let's assume GMT-6, so my post would be shown for you as: "Posted on Thursday: 08:31am. User Time: Thursday: 14:31"

So, what do you think? good idea? bad idea?
Kaito
Kaito
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Timezones Empty Re: Timezones

Post by Sighlent Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:35 am

I like that idea actually! It would make things easier in RP's to know when exactly they posted last their time, in recognition that if it's late there that they probably won't be back on till morning.

Aww

I think it's gold.
Sighlent
Sighlent
Ghost
Ghost

Female

http://jennibou.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dio the Awesome Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:36 am

I am willing to bet it would be very difficult to implement. But still a useful thing to have.
Dio the Awesome
Dio the Awesome
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaito Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:53 am

I am willing to bet that it's most probably not possible here, but with some coding here and there it would be quite easy. Could even be possible to do changing only templates. But since They don't allow template changing.. meh. ;(

(you could request the feature from forumotion, though *hint hint*)
Kaito
Kaito
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:32 am

Oh, hm, yeah I'm not sure even onenitedrive could add that here. I'll ask him though. I agree that it'd be kind of useful.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★

Female

http://trynethetimetraveler.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:24 pm

The template changing idea has already been requested with Forumotion. You can check the FAQ on that one.

As far as the Timezones idea, I think its splendid. I'm not sure how it will work, but if onenitedrive can do all that he's done so far with our posts, then I'd imagine he can generate something like that as well; though it may be more difficult to deal with.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:01 pm

Sorry everyone, I wish I could do that. It is a really good idea and would be very helpful for knowing when people are on to respond to roleplays. Maybe someday I'll be able to add our own functions to the forum.

Sometimes it's frustrating for me to have such limited access because I want to jump in there and add my own javascript or html. Everything that I have done to the forum has just been editing the style of it. I can change the size of certain things, sometimes how things are positioned and how the text looks. These are really basic things, but its all I have access to, since I'm only working with existing CSS code Sad

Here is a screen shot of the div that contains the author of a post and the time. That's an example of the code I can change excluding the class name: screen shot

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaito Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:43 am

Ohh!

I just had an idea!

Is it possible for you to add custom bbcodes?

If so, you could try to add content via it.
If you have full control over BBCodes, for example, you could Regex /^(.*)$/ which would be the whole content. Then you might just add that <div class ="myclass"> around it, if you want to. You'd need to do some exact CSS to handle it, though, because it would be added for basically every user input. But anyways, if it works, it works. Smile
Also, you could add Javascript that way, too. Maybe just have a script like
<script>
if (!_root.didscript)
{
_root.didscript = true;
//Do stuff you want, here
}
</script>

Let me know what you think about it, and if there are problems or anything.

Also, I saw that you have enabled HTML everywhere. Any particular reason to do so?

Last edited by Kaito on Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Kaito
Kaito
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:42 am

Kaito wrote:Ohh!

I just had an idea!

Is it possible for you to add custom bbcodes?

If so, you could try to add content via it.
If you have full control over BBCodes, for example, you could Regex /^(.*)$/ which would be the whole content. Then you might just add that
Code:
<div class ="myclass">
around it, if you want to. You'd need to do some exact CSS to handle it, though, because it would be added for basically every user input. But anyways, if it works, it works. Smile
Also, you could add Javascript that way, too. Maybe just have a script like
Code:
<script>
if (!_root.didscript)
{
_root.didscript = true;
//Do stuff you want, here
}
</script>
Let me know what you think about it, and if there are problems or anything.
I'm sorry Kaito, I do not have the option to add Javascript or HTML. As I have said, I have the option to customize the CSS that is already there, nothing more.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaito Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:59 am

Did you try the bbcode thing?
custom bbcodes is very common, and you *should* be able to add javascript or html through them.
Kaito
Kaito
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:05 am

It's like he said: anything that is not CSS, we have no access to. We really don't even have access to the real CSS; we simply just add CSS to 'overlap' what is already there.

In order to either embed or include Javascript, you need to have access to the HTML, since you place the Javascript inside the HTML. The code that you just provided is Javascript.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaito Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:37 am

Seriously, guys, I have done the whole subjects for over five years, I know how it works. No offence,but did you try the bbcode approach, at all? That's all I'm asking, you know. But you don't answer.
Kaito
Kaito
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:37 am

Kaito, no, I'm sorry, but you are the one that isn't understanding. We are listening, and we are trying to explain. Onenitedrive is at work right now, but I'll have it explain it all in full detail whenever he gets home and has the chance. He has been working with CSS and HTML for far longer than I've known him, I'd imagine since he was a young teenager, and he is 25 now and doing it for his major, so I think he knows quite well what he's talking about.

Forumotion is a lot more restricting than message boards that you pay for and have full control over.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:35 pm

The forum is actually pretty awesome how it is. If we can't do something, we can't do it. *shrug* This is seriously one of the best-looking free forums I've ever been on.
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:14 pm

I agree with Kalon, this forum is by far the most organized and slick board I've ever seen. Its not bulky and rough like vBulletin; and not too simple and disorganized like other Forumotions are. We got an incredibly high score on our review. And we are one of the most active RP boards out there.

Sure, we're not "big-time" like some other pros (Roleplay Gateway, and this "RpG" I've been hearing about). But after only a few months FOG is gaining an incredible momentum!

Instead of focusing on the forum's clockwork, I think we should be focusing on its purpose; that being a mature, engaging community of freelance artists (artists such as novelists, photographers, journalists, story-tellers, and even webmasters).

But that's just my opinion. If onenitedrive wants to continue to tinker and outwit Forumotion's limitations, then by all means, go for it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:24 pm

*agrees with DJ*

I'm willing to bet Role-play Gateway and RpG are the same thing. Very Happy
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:05 pm

Kaito wrote:Seriously, guys, I have done the whole subjects for over five years, I know how it works. No offence,but did you try the bbcode approach, at all? That's all I'm asking, you know. But you don't answer.
Kaito, maybe I'm not explaining this clearly enough and I'm sorry because I'm not quite sure how else to put it. I will try one more time though.

I do not have access to the files that I would need to write the code you have suggested. Meaning, the server that the files are hosted on is owned and administrated by forumotion.com. At this time we do not pay to host phpbb for this forum, it is free. All I can do is add CSS to a box through the forumotion administration panel.

If this is still difficult to understand, I apologize and I would suggest that you create a forum at https://www.forumotion.com/ to see exactly what I have to work with in the administration panel.

I do know that custom BBCode is a common thing for phpbb and I assure you I could write the code if I could access the files. I'm also sorry I couldn't answer your post until now, but I do have to be at work all day.

Here is a link to the help forum at forumotion. Someone has suggested custom BBCode: http://help.forumotion.com/suggestions-for-your-forums-f30/custom-bbcode-t9834-60.htm

If you happen to come across something that I have missed, I would be more than happy to hear about it. Thank you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaito Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:35 pm

Well, that's all I needed to know. Many Forum systems let you define custom BBCodes via the admin panel. If this one doesn't, then so be it.

Of course I know you can't edit the files or html, and never suggested it, really.

I did create a forum at forumotion after registering here, to see what they offer, and, having hosted several forums myself, was a bit disappointed by the features they offered, so I deleted it, again. For that part, you did a very great job with this site. I just didn't remember whether it was possible to edit bbcodes or not.

So let's see. Maybe the forumotion staff will add it at a later time.
Kaito
Kaito
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:20 pm

It is unfortunate that we don't have total control, but I had looked around for awhile for (what I thought) would be the best free message board (minus the cost of the storage space and domain name), and onenitedrive had just been checking out/signing up for other free boards, and a lot of other ones don't even allow you to add your own CSS code at all or offer any of those options, so at least we have that.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: