FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Epic-Scale Fantasy

4 posters

Go down

Epic-Scale Fantasy Empty Epic-Scale Fantasy

Post by Fluff Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:28 pm

(Status: Open, see OOC)
This story is based off of the place where I first learned to write. It was never particularly large, and is effectively dead at this point. Regardless, we had a way of building on each others' ideas, going from a simple "rescue the fairy princess" thing to what ended up as a full-blown demonic invasion, complete with soul-draining, ethereal castles floating high above the clouds, and romance that crossed the boundaries of death and undeath. I've taken the rough ideas from the story and put them into something I can use here. It's a chance to really let loose the boundaries of your imagination, completely destroy your suspension of disbelief, and go for the most physics-defying fantasy you can have.

Enough drivel from me. It's time for the actual interest check. The world is a single continent, a sort of Pangaea with no significant islands more than a mile out to see--at least, none that have been discovered yet. The best RPs are ones where the players help to shape the world, so if you decide that your swashbucklin' sass-mouth comes from across the ocean, go for it. The world is full of many different kinds of magic, from fireballs to shape-changers to the foulest necromancy ever to blight the land. There are few nations, the majority of the continent being occupied by city-states. There are the formidable northern mountains, where trolls and huge men without faces constantly raid upon the hardened citadels full of frost-bitten northern warriors. There is the desert known as the Sands of Illusion, which takes it place at the very bottom of the continent, and where few things are as they appear. There are the Greatwoods to the west, where the Fey Folk guard their secrets deep under the roots of the massive trees that grow there. Finally, there are the lands to the east, where richly wooded hills and fertile fields support thriving cities and cultures, from the Arabic city of Iarad to the strictly honor-bound paladin castle of Konad.

The famed Golden Knights of Konad have kept the lands safe from evil for centuries upon end, but now a new threat is growing. A bitter knight, thrown out from the Golden Order many years ago, has found a way across worlds to the blasted Wastelands. Drawing from the countless demons of the Wastelands, his army is now threatening to overrun the mortal world. Crossing between worlds is difficult and dangerous, and so only small bands of demons can find their way through to attack. However, the maddened knight knows of a way to break through the barriers between worlds, and flood the mortal world with his hordes from the wastelands.

The players are various fighters, mages, changelings, and other assorted brave men and women of the mortal world. Humans are the dominant race, although you could feasibly play a demon or a Faerie (which is a fancy way of spelling 'Fairy'). Although Faeries are only about a foot high at the most, they do have powerful magics that can change their size on occasion, and a half-human, half-faerie (or half-demon) hybrid is perfectly fine. You should be aware, however, that only humanoid demons are intelligent enough to play as (also, it's going to be hard to live in the mortal world if you have horns growing out of your butthole or something). By humanoid, I mean something close enough to human that it could be disguised by a few layers of clothing.

I won't set firm limits on abilities. Obviously, we don't want any ridiculous power-playing, but quite frankly as long as you don't have an instant death stare or a strange ability that lets you fight two hundred winged centipedes alone and win, it's fine. Being able to open a gate to the Wastelands by yourself is out, for obvious storyline reasons, and other than that I can't think of anything. Raising the dead is fine. Being a bad guy is fine (if there aren't too many). Transforming into a dragon is fine, as long as it's the horse-sized kind, not the fifty-foot long castle-wrecker kind.

That's it. Capitalization and punctuation are good friends of mine. If you want to just pull something out of your butt, go ahead. Making up demons is half the fun, so if during fights you find yourself wrestling a snake-headed elephant, consider it a +10 cool points bonus. When they die, though, they die, and there is blood. We won't get too disturbing with that, and romance/sex should probably be kept PG-13-ish.

I realize that demons-invading-and-destroying-everything is a tad cliche, but I'm a firm believer in the philosophy that cliches exist for a very damn good reason, and you need a healthy mix of originality and tradition to create all the really cool stuff.

Last edited by The Mighty Fluffball on Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fluff
Fluff
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

http://z9.invisionfree.com/the_temple_of_kraden

Back to top Go down

Epic-Scale Fantasy Empty Re: Epic-Scale Fantasy

Post by Eternity Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:42 pm

Dibs on this
Eternity
Eternity
Corporeal Spirit
Corporeal Spirit

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Aesalon Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:01 am

Holy crap, why not - I'm in.
Aesalon
Aesalon
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

http://www.fbnparanormal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluff Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:26 am

I'll post the OOC tomorrow.
Fluff
Fluff
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:34 pm

I'll chip in here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eternity Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:45 pm

THE OOC IS:

The Red Tide

GO NOW HEYSUESS
Eternity
Eternity
Corporeal Spirit
Corporeal Spirit

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectre Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:30 am

Still taking entries by chance?
Spectre
Spectre
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Eternity Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:01 am

yes now go. XD
Eternity
Eternity
Corporeal Spirit
Corporeal Spirit

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluff Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:25 pm

ATTN: ALL

This RP will be taking new entries even after I make the RP. Until the point that I actually go to my first posts in the IntChk, OOC, and IC and add in a big red "no more entries, please" sign, please assume that we're open. Also, I'm not going to add that sign for a long time. Once I feel that the RP has gone past the point that new characters could be integrated into the story, I'll do it. Maybe.

I probably won't close this ever, actually.
Fluff
Fluff
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down