FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Table-Top RPG Forum/Sub-forum

+2
Aesalon
Mezrin
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Should we have a forum or a subforum for organizing tabletop role-plays?

Table-Top RPG Forum/Sub-forum Votele1078%Table-Top RPG Forum/Sub-forum Voteri10 78% 
[ 7 ]
Table-Top RPG Forum/Sub-forum Votele1022%Table-Top RPG Forum/Sub-forum Voteri10 22% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 9

Table-Top RPG Forum/Sub-forum Empty Table-Top RPG Forum/Sub-forum

Post by Mezrin Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:09 am

FOG's main banner at the top of my screen has the name of the website, and it says "a serious community for all types of role-plays". So, why not have a forum dedicated to putting together and managing and discussing the various table-top RPG's, along with their thousands of campaigns, adventures, characters and treasures? It's a fun thing to do, even if it's considered the epitome of geekdom. Maybe some of us who enjoy it can get together and form a group and start playing. We have a chatroom, and there are various voice programs such as Skype, so it's possible for us to do it.

Just a suggestion.
Mezrin
Mezrin
Shadow
Shadow

Male

http://manticoreproductions.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Table-Top RPG Forum/Sub-forum Empty Re: Table-Top RPG Forum/Sub-forum

Post by Aesalon Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:01 am

I second.

I'm not sure how well it will work, but I think it's worth an experimental shot.
*Aes hurls himself home to his bedroom to dig out his 'Chicks dig 20 Sided Dice' shirt...*
Aesalon
Aesalon
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

http://www.fbnparanormal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mezrin Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:08 am

Hehe. I've played more than a few games. Deadlands, DnD, Exitus Sator...

THAT REMINDS ME. I'm going to be recruiting some of you as beta testers for Exitus Sator.
Mezrin
Mezrin
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:23 am

I already have one in the IC phase. Granted it isn't an officially licensed game or anything like that, but it is an RP that I created a combat system for utilizing dice based off as series of table top games and video games.

I am ahead of the times. ^_^
Loki
Loki
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mezrin Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:31 am

That's great, but I mean old school. You're actually behind the times for doing your dice thing so late!
Mezrin
Mezrin
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:35 am

You'll have to excuse me, since I don't know as much about table top RPGs, but you're just asking for a forum/subforum to talk about and discuss them? Because, as it says in the General Discussion area, you can talk about role-playing in general there (such as putting together characters, suggestions for a plot, how you get your inspiration, what sort of settings you like, etc.).

If you'd like, I could change that and create a subforum in the Entertainment section for just discussing different types of role-playing, including table top, along with text-based and so on.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★

Female

http://trynethetimetraveler.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Aesalon Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:08 am

As I understand the proposal, we are looking for an actual game forum - not just a discussion board. I would imagine it as a place to store game information (world creation details, character info/descriptions, in-game references etc.) FOG would be hosting these RPs, even though some of these actual games would be played over Skype. (Or online chat, or whatever.)
I think that the sub-forums would be equal to 'Interest Check', 'OOC' & 'IC'
Interest Check is obvious
OOC Would be for scheduling and things like that, and posting characters
IC Would be for game intro/info and events description.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure Mez will yell at me. Smile

I didn't pay much attention to the dice function discussion here because there was not really an appropriate place for these types of RP games, but I believe that was all worked out?
Aesalon
Aesalon
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

http://www.fbnparanormal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mezrin Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:16 am

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO AESALON YOU GOT IT ALL WRONG NOW I MIST EAT YOUR LIVER!

...Not really. That's pretty much what I was aiming for. With dice, there are numerous dice programs out there for use and if worst comes to worst I bought a pound of dice last year.
Mezrin
Mezrin
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:17 am

Ah, see that's where I got confused, since I didn't think it was possible to organize and play a tabletop game online, since I thought those required cards and figures and such.

Let me know what it is exactly that you'd like to use this subforum for, Mezrin.

Yeah, the dice is settled, I believe.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mezrin Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:20 am

It's a planning section, OOC and IC reference section, a rulebook/character creation, lore, mechanics ect. section, world references, sending out books for a certain classes to others, that sort of thing. We'd also be looking for a group or a Dungeon Master to play with, as both are essential. It also serves as a planning board, so we can organize times and the such. Another part of this would be a place to post your character sheet for safe-keeping and so the others know who you are.

EDIT: I don't think I want to use the forum dice. I'd think that would take too long and makes a post every time you roll, if I'm not mistaken, and there are secret rolls that are made away from the group.
Mezrin
Mezrin
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:21 am

Mezrin wrote:FOG's main banner at the top of my screen has the name of the website, and it says "a serious community for all types of role-plays".
Just to better clarify: What is meant by this is all types of genres of text-based role-playing (ie. fantasy, sci-fi, modern, horror, anime, animal, etc.). It does not refer to role-playing video games, pencil and paper games, tabletop games, etc. This is a play-by-post text-based role-playing board. In other words, it's writing.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:25 am

Mezrin wrote:It's a planning section, OOC and IC reference section, a rulebook/character creation, lore, mechanics ect. section, world references, sending out books for a certain classes to others, that sort of thing. We'd also be looking for a group or a Dungeon Master to play with, as both are essential. It also serves as a planning board, so we can organize times and the such. Another part of this would be a place to post your character sheet for safe-keeping and so the others know who you are.

EDIT: I don't think I want to use the forum dice. I'd think that would take too long and makes a post every time you roll, if I'm not mistaken, and there are secret rolls that are made away from the group.

Ahhh, I see. Thanks for better expanding on that Mezrin. As I said, I am pretty in the dark on this stuff. It's onenitedrive who has actually done it and played it, but I've never had the pleasure to try it out before.

That's fine if you don't want to use the dice here, especially if some dice rolls need to be kept secret. I'm sure there are programs or sites that have dice you can use too that have a lot more different types as well.

Just give me a second. I'm discussing this over with onenitedrive, since he understand it all more than myself.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mezrin Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:29 am

Cool. I might even invite you to play it with us. Very Happy
Mezrin
Mezrin
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:32 am

Lol that's kind of you. Smile
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mezrin Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:34 am

New people are the best because they tend to be more serious and it's cool to teach.
Mezrin
Mezrin
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:43 am

This seems like it could be a cool idea. I played some D&D back in the day. I'm going to let this idea bounce around in my head for awhile and we'll keep it open for discussion to see if others are interested. I do however want to reiterate what Fate said about the subtitle on the banner. She created this forum with the idea of being able to RP about any subject or genre through creative writing. The idea of other forms of role playing weren't part of the plan for FOG. At the moment, I'm leaning toward a place for a table top role playing forum and all it's information, is a completely different message board in itself.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mezrin Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:45 am

It's not an entirely different message board, just a small section for planning. You could expand FOG, make it more than simply creative writing, and just Role-playing in general.
Mezrin
Mezrin
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:06 pm

I think onenitedrive meant that it should be an entirely different message board -- that that's enough information to justify a completely different message board.

I'm on the fence about this right now. In addition, I'm really confused as to where this forum should go. I'm going to make a poll in this thread so that people can vote. If we get enough people wanting the forum for tabletop RPs, then we'll go ahead and make it.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Reffy Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:25 pm

I voted Very Happy

Every body else must choose "Yes" or face my wrath Razz I kid (or do I?)

I've done a little D&D with Mezzy. It was messy but hilarious. It didn't really get off the starting line due to lack of players turning up. I would recommend giving this a shot, even if just for the "shits and giggles" moments.

Reffy
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

http://awritersrecluse.proboards.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dio the Awesome Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:44 am

I hope that I can clear some of this up.

I am and avid DnD-er. And here is my situation. It is nice to play in read life, sit down with some friends, break out the dice and DM's screen.

Sadly, I don't have enough friends who are as nerdy as I am. However I was introduced by a friend to a group of people who play over IRC. Now, while IRC is a little more interactive and real time than forums are, here is my humble suggestion.

Put another section in the roleplay area, with Interest and OOC threads. This could range from simple world discussion, rules ideas and mechanics. I know enough about DnD to say that there is a ton of potential for homebrew. (I infact have a pretty in depth world i could post on here. This is the kinda thing to get me motivate to work on it again).

But I understand your need to have some substance here. This is a place for writing and story, and it would be pointless to meet here, while all the fun happens somewhere else. That is where my genius comes in. :p

Chat site like IRC log your adventures, so the DM could simply paste the days adventure into a thread that way, people not nessecarily interested in DnD in it's pure, paper and dice and rules for, can still follow the story.

Here is a short example of a section from a campaign I have, the man called Tear was our DM, everyone else were players:

<Tear> It turns out that the port of Janeth is across the city and the city is huge. By the time you arrive there, it is almost dinner and the group is starving. Finding a small seaside restaurant to eat at is no trouble at all and the group recieves a complementary meal after a rather interesting encounter with the local drunk and his large coinpurse.
<Tear> After their meal, the group heads to the harbour and follow the signs to the trading ships on their way to Njer'Los. There are two ships in the district that look ready to leave.
<Tear> One of the ships is a rather small-sized Cog and has a large orc as the captain. The other ship is huge, looking as if it could house thousands of pounds of cargo and the captain seems to be a well-groomed human.
<Ral> "hmmm"
<Ral> Lark: let us chek out that big ship"
<Ral> "lilith knows the merchants best, let her decide"
<Soren> "I don't know, big might attract more attention..."
<|ilith> ((Uh-oh...))
* Ral waits for lilith to speak up
<Ral> ((lol))
* |ilith thinks for a moment, "Hmmm..."
* Ral looks arround for anyone watching us or following
<Ral> !roll 1d20+3
<Gaz> Ral rolled 1d20+3 : 15 = 15 + 3 = 18
<Ral> (spot))
<Tear> Cierra smiles and takes Soren's hand, "I haven't been at sea for a while..."
<Tear> Nobody seems to be particularly drawn to you. Nobody suspicious at least.
<|ilith> "In a larger ship it is more likely for that feind to find a way to stalk us. With the smaller ship they may be more likely to turn slightly off course to bring us to our destination... as well, the smaller ship of the orc is less likely to be raided for goods."
<|ilith> "However, going off first impressions is never wise. We should talk to both captains."
<Ral> "well said"
<|ilith> fiend*
<Aramil_> "I will talk with the orc captain."
* Soren smiles, taking Cierra's hand and looking to the others. "Sounds good, haha. We'll go with...uh...who do you want to go with? Doesn't matter to me."
<|ilith> "I suppose I will speak with the human fellow then..."
* |ilith approaches the larger ship, "Ahoy there~!"
* Ral seems more content to let the group decide
<Tear> Cierra looks to Aramil, "We will wait here then?"
<Ral> then usual
<Ral> Lark: "i shall go with you lilith"he follows
<Soren> "That works, I guess, heh." Soren looks for a seat while the other discuss their options with the captains.
* Aramil_ moves to the orcish captain. "Excuse me, captain?"
* Ral stands and wathces the 3 conversate from afar making sure no one watches
<Soren> (( If he doesn't talk like a pirate I will be very saddened. Sad ))
<Ral> ((lol))
<Tear> The orc finishes hauling a crate onto a small wooden crane and turns to look at Aramil. "Ay?"
<Aramil_> "Where is your ship headed to? My companions and I need to book passage to Engh."

While this is short, I think it may express the potential of such a board. Of course there is more to talk about, and the finale decision is up to Fate.
Dio the Awesome
Dio the Awesome
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:53 am

That looks like fun, Diodri. :] Thanks for the feedback and for the advice. I think that's probably a good idea for the DM to post your adventures in the IC section, otherwise the IC won't be used at all.

Alright, well the poll showed that, so far, no one doesn't like this idea, so we will go ahead and give it a try. Smile Enjoy it!

I hope you guys can set up your own IRC channel and such, because I'm very unskilled at IRC. Onenitedrive knows the ins-and-outs of it though, so if you wanted something like that set up for your games, he might be able to put it together, if you can't.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dio the Awesome Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:58 am

It's pretty easy. Once you have IRC installed, you just need to know where to look. I'll check it out, and we can decide where to meet. (My group uses the server DarkMyst).

And for those unfamiliar with IRC, I could (or Onenitedrive) could post a tutorial of how to set it up.
Dio the Awesome
Dio the Awesome
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:01 am

I've never actually downloaded it/installed IRC chat before, but I guess that's a lot better than doing it in a browser window.

I wonder if there are any directions or tutorials out there for this? I would think so, as there are guides to the list of actions and such that you can do in IRC.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dio the Awesome Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:07 am

I made an intro post in the section. I could put up an indepth tutorial, if you'd like as well.

(Hope I didn't over step my bounds with that thread, it seemed like a good idea at the time).
Dio the Awesome
Dio the Awesome
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:16 am

Nope, I appreciate the help, especially in areas I am unfamiliar! Smile

Well, Tony/onenitedrive just said that he'd like to set up the IRC I guess, since he has time (he's taken a few days off from work), so that's good. Very Happy
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dio the Awesome Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:19 am

Well I will let him deal with the technicals then. I'd probably get it wrong anyways. I've been up for over 9000 hours. >.<

If you need any more help with this section, give a shout. I'm on this site about 50% of the time I'm online now anyways.

EDIT: Maybe eventually I'll make a post without having to go back to correct spelling errors. >>>
Dio the Awesome
Dio the Awesome
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:33 am

Lol! Thanks, and no worries. :]

Great! Well, that's not a bad thing, hehe.

Oh, don't worry about it. I constantly am finding mistakes too when I make posts. xD
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:58 pm

Diodri, I was originally setting this up using esper.net for the server, but I took a look in here and saw that your group is on darkmyst.org. I can use that one instead, if you want. I have been out of the IRC loop for a long time and I'm pretty clueless on what the popular role playing servers are.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dio the Awesome Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:18 pm

It doesn't really matter in the long run I suppose, it's just the one that I use. (meaning it's the only one I know. I don't know if other servers are better or anything).
Dio the Awesome
Dio the Awesome
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:31 pm

Guys, this is not taking off at all. Are any of you still interested in having this, because if not, I'd really like to get rid of it to help clean up our message board.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next