FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rate The Song Above You

3 posters

Go down

Rate The Song Above You Empty Rate The Song Above You

Post by Jag Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:20 pm

The premise is simple: somebody posts a link to a song. The person below it gives a score out of ten, and, unless they're completely uninteresting and have no interest in making this entertaining whatsoever, elabourate some on why they think the song was (the) shit. Then they post a song of their own, and it goes on. I've found threads like this are a good way for folks to discover new music they might like.

That said, I'll kick things off with something light but undoubtedly kick-ass.
Jag
Jag
Mist
Mist

Back to top Go down

Rate The Song Above You Empty Re: Rate The Song Above You

Post by Gadreille Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:56 pm

Jigsaw Feeling - Siouxsie and the Banshees

Rating: 7

I love siouxsie and the banshees, though I don't have any of their music (I'm poor, I don't download, I have way too many likes to know where to start). I know my dad does have some of their music, and this song really makes me want to go "Borrow" a few of those round shiny things and burn em onto my laptop Very Happy

I'm not really well versed in music lingo, but I know that I am loving the baseline of this song, it makes me feel like my head is spinning in a good way. (I'm judging not based off of the video; if I was supposed to, my bad).

The only thing that keeps this song from getting a perfect ten is well, I think it's just personal preference really. There is a tiny bit too much repetition for my taste (I'm one of those people that loves breaks and tempo changes and crap like that).

Let's take it down....waaaaay down
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jag Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:16 am

Ah, the acoustic-vocal song-- my veritable nemesis in music. I fear I can't offer up much in the way of opinion, as it's simply a genre I can't stand-- always something, generally the vocals, or the lyrics, or the rhythm, that makes me wanna rip my hair out. So that's pretty much a zero outta ten for me. :<

We compensate, then with some Dave Brubeck!
Jag
Jag
Mist
Mist

Back to top Go down

Post by Syrena Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:55 pm

Take Five - Dave Brubeck

Rating: 8

I'm desperate for something with a very loud bass and a lot of drums. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure listening to anything "heavy" is going to kill what's left of my brain. But I'm not really interested in the soothing lull of some of my softer music.

This song is a nice compromise between my desire for something with a loud bass and a lot of drums and needing something softer. There's just enough drums and cymbals to give this song a jazzy beat! And I've got a piano and a saxophone... It's hard to go wrong when a piano and saxophone are involved.

However, after the first three minutes, I feel like the song gets repetitive. I want something new--a different variation or something--but I just get the same old, same old. Still. This is a pretty great song. I definitely like it.

My offering: Adele's Skyfall
Syrena
Syrena
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jag Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:50 pm

Adele - Skyfall

Rating: 3

Is this that Adele chick everybody keeps talkin' about?

Well, she gotta good voice-- guess there ain't no denyin' that. But speaking for the music itself, and the song in general, I wasn't into it. The way she was using her voice, the music behind it, etc, etc, didn't appeal to me, and the music going on under her voice seemed kind of unremarkable to me. Not sure what else I can say. The three points comes from the fact that I admit her voice sounds good and she clearly has talent (even to a vocally ignorant fool like myself... er, I don't think that means what it's supposed to mean, but you get it. Hopefully.), but everything else prevents it from getting a higher rating than that.

Next up: Kylesa's Almost Lost. Some quality sludge for y'all to love/hate on.
Jag
Jag
Mist
Mist

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:14 pm

Kylesa - Almost Lost

Rating - 2 4

This is something I would have given a 7 to...when I was sixteen. Back then, this sort of music calmed me and helped me navigate the stresses of my life. I think I've mellowed out too much to enjoy the full potential of this song.

Originally I gave it a 2 because, I was honestly...bored. However, two minutes in, something in the melody picked up and I found myself more entertained than I originally was. However, since I am impatient when it comes to music, that awesome pick-me-up only gets this song to a 4.

I like stand up bass, with Tiger Army
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jag Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:52 pm

Evidently we are the only trve music lovers present, Dre.

Anyway.

Tiger Army - True Romance

Rating: 5

Concerning the song: psychobilly is generally a love-hate affair for me, and usually leaning significantly towards the 'hate' side of that equation. But this... isn't too obnoxious. Not as much as a lot of other psychobilly I've heard. And I dig that you can actually tell it's an upright bass, the use of which is redundant for a lot of psychobilly bands when you can't actually hear the damn thing.

So I may be slightly biased towards an upward rating considering this was one of those precious few cases in which I don't straight up hate psychobilly, but I still didn't love it. It, like a lot of psychobilly, was like punk that almost is but definitely isn't-- though I guess if they went a little less hillbilly and a little more punk, then it'd just be... well, punk. Then again, I have no qualms with that :v

As for myself, I'll post something of a shortie.
Jag
Jag
Mist
Mist

Back to top Go down

Post by Syrena Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:49 pm

The Tomb Awaits - Entrails

Rating: 2

Something about this song just...bugs me. Maybe the repetitive nature of the song is at the root of my dislike. Or, perhaps, the song is too short to get into. Heck, the relatively peaceful introduction could be picking at my nerves. I'm not one hundred percent sure why I don't like this song.

I just don't like it.

However, I gave this song a two because the screaming at the end is intriguing. There's a relatively peaceful introduction and, then, things get creepy. The screaming makes me think of hunted houses, ghosts, and other creepy crawlies which is a decent compliment to the song's (the album's?) name "The Tomb Awaits."

Next up: Alannah Myles' Black Velvet
Syrena
Syrena
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down