FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A little thought provoking something.

+7
Dio the Awesome
Kronos
Kathryn Lacey
Inerio
Lara
Fate Flyer
Squall Reyes
11 posters

Go down

A little thought provoking something. Empty A little thought provoking something.

Post by Squall Reyes Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:57 pm

A movie called The Box has just premiered its trailer. To tell you the truth it looks poor. But the original Twilight Zone episode its based on is not. The episode was called "Button, Button". The premise is simple, a man and woman in an economic hard time is visited by a stranger with an offer. Press a button and they get millions of dollars BUT someone in the world will die.

I found this youtube video that is based off this same premise and I wanted to share it with you all, but before you watch it ask yourselves. What choice would you make?

Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

A little thought provoking something. Empty Re: A little thought provoking something.

Post by Fate Flyer Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:12 pm

That was scary...because in all honesty, I would probably rationalize it the same way he did and make the same choice as him. Ten million dollars is awfully tempting, and it's not as if he's asking you to go out and commit the murder personally. I'm sure it would weigh on you for your entire life, on the other hand, and any time you'd spend that money, you'd be forced to think of the decision you made (that is, given you weren't dead and sent to Hell). As someone who can say she doesn't believe in God (in the Christian sense) or a Heaven or Hell, I can't say I'd be fearful of that. That choice though is a real tough one.

Tony said the guy offering him the choice sounded like some guy from Half-Life (I haven't played the game, so I can't be more specific, lol).
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★

Female

http://trynethetimetraveler.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

A little thought provoking something. Empty Re: A little thought provoking something.

Post by Squall Reyes Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:15 pm

This is the kinda thoughtful answers I was hoping for on here. Very Happy And....son of a bitch I think your man is right Fate!
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:19 pm

I don't think I'd press the button. I know I'd be horribly tempted by the money, but in the end it isn't worth it if I can only acquire it by killing someone else. I'd rather make the money through my own means, and even if I never make it to $10 million, I'll still feel that what I made was worth it.

And for the record, I figured out what was going on in the video right away, so, so I most definitely wouldn't have pressed that button.
Lara
Lara
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Inerio Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:26 pm

I knew what I was going to do before watching, while watching, and after watching. I wouldn't push the button. Plain and simple.

First off, there is that tiny chance I could die. A one in six million chance. Still, I don't like those odds. I'm also one for keeping a clear concious. I usually do what makes for the better story, but only if it isn't at the dire expense of someone else.

Secondly, I consider it murder. Maybe not in the first degree but murder none the less. Frankly, I'd rather brutally murder someone. I know, it's twisted. However, if I were to do something as terrible as murder I'd want it to be for a proper and passionate reason. I'd like to have some story to tell as opposed to, I pushed a button and someone died.
Inerio
Inerio
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:19 am

Thanks for your answers guys. Very Happy

@ Fudge I can't argue with that logic. I suppose if your gonna so something you might as well not half ass it.

@ Lara I know what you mean I figured it out as well but it still made me think very hard on where other peoples and my own morals lie.
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:49 pm

I could never press that button. Money is not what will make someone happy- though is occasionally helps- and having that money with that death on my conscience would just be... terrible... I wouldn't be happy with the money. I would feel terrible for the rest of my life. I dwell on things all too often. I don't want to ever have to dwell on the fact that I may have caused another's death. I don't believe in any sort of deity, and I definitely believe that the only Hell is one that people create for themselves.

However, I do believe in Karma. I'm pretty sure if I ever pressed that button, I would have a horrible life thereafter, or my next life would be the worst kind of hell imaginable. I agree that it is murder whether you actually hold the weapon of death or not. It's like hiring a hit-man, except you gain money instead of giving it to the death-dealer.

I am content enough with my menial job that I don't need the money all that badly. It would just be nice to have the money. It's too bad I can't make a compromise where I'm just given the money without a death occurring, but I'm not intelligent enough to outwit anyone like that.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kronos Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:29 pm

I'd destroy the button, partially out of caring for humanity, and partially out of paranoia - plus, millions of dollars don't just appear from nowhere! There would be investigations and if I use it several times, a strange but obvious correlation between those deaths and me!

It's just too dangerous.
Kronos
Kronos
Mist
Mist

Back to top Go down

Post by Dio the Awesome Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:35 am

The video was incredibly well done. I commend them for producing something like that.

That being said, I would like to think that I wouldn't push the button. It's a noble thought, but I could never be sure. If I had found the money on the ground, I could almost guarantee you I would take some of it. You never really know unless you end up in a situation like that.

That being said, never trust a guy who just randomly pops out of nowhere with a case full of money.
Dio the Awesome
Dio the Awesome
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mezrin Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:15 am

I'd press the button. I'd be skeptical, probably, and not believe it, so what fucking harm done, right? If I had some sort of proof or guarantee that it was legit, I'd still press the button. $10,000,000. That's a lot of zeroes. That's a LOT of cash.

It's not that I'm evil; I believe in karma and balance. While I believe in God, I seem to hold the ideals of a Taoist, and, to a lesser extent, a Buddhist. One person dies so I can change the lives of many. If, in my eyes, there is more evil than good in the world, that man has died a noble death, for his death has given me the opportunity to save thousands and thousands of lives through simple things, like, helping feed the poor, giving them shelter, pouring money into developing cures and vaccines.

If it's vice versa, however, I'm going to level the playing field. I'll end up doing something that involves tempting criminals and hoodlums to go down the darker path while staying legal myself. I'd take steps to balance the bad and good in the world.
Mezrin
Mezrin
Shadow
Shadow

Male

http://manticoreproductions.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:08 pm

That's one of the more interesting answers I've gotten about this. Very Happy Awesome.
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:51 pm

That was a great video. A great work of a film.

What did you type in to find it?

Quite thought provoking.
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by The Melancholy Spirit Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:17 pm

The truth? I can't answer the question... none of us can. This is something beyond any of us really and we can do nothing imagine what we may or may not do as well as what we would hope that we do. Not until presented with such a thing could any truly answer the question.

I'd like to think that I would not press it. Many reasons because of things said by Kathryn (and a couple others, namely Inerio with the brutal, passionate murder part) but... I just don't know. None of us do. Hopefully none of us ever will.
The Melancholy Spirit
The Melancholy Spirit
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Hello Danger Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:57 am

You guys are thinking to hard into it!

I'd kill the guy- stab him in the throat with the key, or beat him with the suit case. Then walk out with money in hand. Razz

No, seriously though. I say I would press the button, no questions asked; however, if truly presented with the offer... I don't know what I would do...

I can say this- if I was in this guys situation, suddenly sitting in a stool, within a creepy white room, and some odd-ball Brit was making the offer! NO WAY! I wouldn't trust it!

ps- always check if you're wearing clean underwear.

pss- great thread Squall!
Hello Danger
Hello Danger
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down