FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lets try getting my feet wet. Anybody want to try a one x one RP?

2 posters

Go down

Alien Lets try getting my feet wet. Anybody want to try a one x one RP?

Post by Emelisa Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:00 am

I'd like to try starting up a RP here, and decided to look for a private one v. one first. Dipping a toe in, so to speak.

I'm up for pretty much anything. I'm easy for most fantasy, including modern and medieval. I haven't done a science fiction in a while, though I'm not good with the 'tech speak' that may be required. Historical fiction is my kryptonite, because researching in the period takes a lot of time and I live in horror about making a mistake. Speaking of horror....I haven't done that in ages either, and admit to an interest in a post-apoc world (whether closely during, or ages passing and civilization has sprung up again) or a zombie apocalypse. The last one seems hit or miss with most people--we've been saturated with zombies a lot recently haven't we?

I do prefer romance in my character’s lives, but as a subplot within an existing story, not the focus. I have a tendency to try and fit it in there subconsciously (I’m a romantic at heart!) so fair warning. I find it best to work it in there on the outset and then let it run its course.

Here are a couple of ideas/snippets I have. They are vague in places because I haven’t thought about them as closely and because I prefer input from a partner to mold the story.

Everett's Raptors (fantasy) - This particular idea was about a young woman, an archer, named Rune. Her land was filled with many warring city states, and she joined a mercenary company. They were small, designed for hit and run tactics and for specialized jobs. She made the cut because of her skill, despite being relatively young (barely twenty). On one of their missions, they were sent to ambush caravans and disrupt supply chains. They were fairly successful, until the Prefect of the territory went along on one of the ambushes, and turned out to be a mage (in this world, those who are skilled in magic are relatively rare). Those he didn't kill, he subdued and then transformed into birds of prey. He kept their wings clipped and on display to those who served him, as well as ambassadors, supplicants, and anyone he wanted to impress with his power. The transformation spells were keyed to separate rings that he kept on him at all times. He left their intelligence intact, the better to appreciate their plight.

The story could start after captivity or before, detailing the capture. The two opportunities I can think of for a costar immediately in this scenario would be: another member of the mercenary band and the wizard's apprentice (about her age) that has concerns about what his master is doing. I’m sure there are more things that can be done. There are also tons of NPCs so to speak that will need to be detailed and written.

This RP would detail: Will she and her ally escape? Will they be able to free the others? What will the mage do afterward? Will they be on the run? For overall plot…what if they discover something that they just can’t keep to themselves, a plot that involves more city states? Perhaps something that gets them back involved against their urge to run.

Dragon Wars (Fantasy, might be better suited to more people) – This one is more generic high fantasy. In this world, dragons are revered as gods, and fight against demons. There are a finite amount of demons and dragons (something small, like seven or eight), and all of them have an avatar to represent them. Dragons: dragoons. They take on representative powers corresponding to what kind of dragon they have. The demons have been banished to another plane when the story starts, and they give powers to their avatars by possessing them. I have ideas as to what kind of dragons, but I haven’t thought about the concept ‘too’ much, just in the back of my head.
Also, this concept could work easily in any setting, now that I think of it. Could just as easy be interpreted to modern fantasy.

--I’ve found the Shadowrun system an interesting kind of cultural setting for stories, though it’s very restrictive and detailed, considering it’s a game system.

What do you think? Would anybody be interested in writing with me? The ideas listed here aren’t the only thing I’m interested in—far from it. But they were what was currently floating around my strange brain at 5 am.
Emelisa
Emelisa
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Alien Re: Lets try getting my feet wet. Anybody want to try a one x one RP?

Post by Sunwolf007 Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:11 pm

I wouldn't mind trying my hand at a one v. one RP. I haven't done one of those yet but have lots of experience in group RPs. I don't have time to talk about ideas right now but will later today. Just posting that I'm interested. Personally I would love to create a completely new RP based on themes the both of us are interested in. Gotta run right now but will be back to post later.
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Location : Greater Grand Rapids area, US of A ( last time I checked)

Back to top Go down

Post by Emelisa Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:53 pm

I would be happy to craft something with you. Smile Let me know what you're interested in doing and we'll get started.
Emelisa
Emelisa
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunwolf007 Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:40 pm

Like you I always enjoy a good romance subplot. As for a starting point we should pick a genre. I am a science fiction, light fantasy, historic fiction, and mostly anything with combat in it. I do stay away from the horror genre though. I like mixing elements together to make a rather unique story. Like what Joss Whedon did with Firefly. Or what Loki did with his RP Viemera – The Essence of Deceit. By picking a few basic genres we can work a story from that. My posting is going to be limited for the next few weeks because of my new job but after that I should have more time. Anyway, your thoughts?
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Emelisa Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:36 pm

Hey Sun, sorry for the delay in replying. I am still interested, but we've had multiple birthdays in the last week, and my novel writing partner showed back up so I've been busy. In a good way, at least!

Hopefully you're still interested. I know I am, but I might be a bit sporadic due to my random writing hours. But since you're the same, we should work out fine. I will try and post, when we work things out, at least once a week, but aiming for every two to three days. If I'm very inspired, I post every day, but sometimes RL happens.

I'm glad you like romance subplots Smile

So you like some action--that's good, keeps the story going. (I LOVE Firefily, btw. Go browncoats)

I'm up for SciFi so long as we're able to gloss over the super 'science' part of it. I'm not at all good at explaining how stuff works. >.> There's a reason why my novel is fantasy, haha. I'm better able at weaving logic into a magical system to make it make sense, than explaining how this FTL drive here works.

That being said, I wouldn't object to something in the future. Have you ever read Anne McCaffrey's Freedom's Landing series? What about something in a futuristic time but involving colonists who are dumped on a world with few resources and have to survive? Or a ship crashlands on a planet and they have to survive that way? Too, if they do get stuck there, there could be other beings or magic, etc they have to deal with, and there'd be plenty of combat opportunities to keep things interesting. Romance, too.

That's my first general idea. What do you think?
Emelisa
Emelisa
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunwolf007 Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:42 pm

Well, being busy in a good way never hurt anyone. I am still interested in continuing. Like you said, with our busy schedules this might work out nice. Anyway back to the brain storming! Personally colonization plots always annoy me. To me they are used too frequently in shows/books. That being said I am glad you brought up Firefly (one of my favorite shows ever!). What if we used that realm? Maybe made our own crew of a firefly ship and worked a plot around that? It would open the story to all kinds of versatility in story telling plus keep the tech talk to a minimum. What do you think?
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Emelisa Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:57 am

We could do that. Its bee a while since I watched Firefly and Serenity, but that doesn't mean its a bad thing. And the setting is general enough anyway that we probably wouldn't wreck it by making our own thing up.

The biggest thing to work out is where during the events of the show do we make up? Are we saying that:

A. We are after the show
B. Before the show
C. During the show (at what point, and do the characters interact with ours)
D. The show didn't exist and we are just using their universe
Emelisa
Emelisa
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunwolf007 Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:51 am

I would vote after the show. Then we could do a story around the possible collapse of the Alliance because of the events in the movie. Another few items we need to figure out is what type of ship are we using and what kind of crew is it going to have.

I would suggest using a firefly class ship and make up our own name and characters. We should have a Captain, a Pilot, a Mechanic and a Doctor at the very least. Other positions could be 'public relations', second in command or shuttle/room renter. Since we are going to be playing the 2 main characters there shouldn't be too much of a fight over positions. The rest can be filled in with NPCs. I'll let you grab the first position.

Here is an image for a firefly ship layout. I also found a PDF of Chinese slang terms which would be helpful to use.
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Emelisa Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:08 pm

That's a really nice ship layout. Smile

I agree with the crew positions, and it would be an interesting time to write about. I may need to watch the show and movies again to refresh my memory.

As for what character I want...are we going to do a romance subplot between the two main characters? I figure I might as well ask, since I like that kind of thing.

The first visceral thing I thought for for a character would be a female doc. I agree on establishing the crew as characters...are we going to have a well established ship, or one that's just started? I'm thinking the former, for a least a little while.

Do you have any ideas for your main character?
Emelisa
Emelisa
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunwolf007 Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:58 pm

I already started rewatching to gain ideas. Laughing If you want to claim the doctor spot that is fine with me. I had a few thoughts on my character's position but it helps to narrow down the field. I am thinking either a public relations person or captain. Either way he is going to be claustrophobic and hate ships. Laughing Any preference on which position would be better?

I think that the ship should be called 'Independent' and have a couple browncoats on board. Also a somewhat established crew like they were on Serenity.
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum