FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FOG Writing Contest 10/14/12 WINNER!

+4
Christoph
Kalon Ordona II
Eternal Phoenix
Gadreille
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

FOG Writing Contest 10/14/12 WINNER! - Page 2 Empty Re: FOG Writing Contest 10/14/12 WINNER!

Post by Guest Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:36 pm

So, we're going to put a small extension on the judging of this contest to the 14th instead of the 12th, just to give the judges who have had a busy month a little extra time. Life and all that jazz. Smile

Back to top Go down

FOG Writing Contest 10/14/12 WINNER! - Page 2 Empty Judging Results

Post by Guest Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:50 pm

Okay, so we were waiting on Sunwolf to post but today is the deadline and he hasn't been on for 24 hours. I'm not going to wait or force you guys to wait any longer and we'll just go by mine and Ysopet's judging results. Again, things would have been better if we'd had more judges' results but also things would have been better if we had more participants. Oh, well, there's always the next contest! ^^

I was really surprised and happy with these entries and I thank everyone who took the time and effort to participate. Now, onwards!

First place with an average of 84 points: Gadrielle!

Second, with average of 83 points: Kalon Ordona II!

Ten's Judging Results

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Congratulations Gadrielle and thank you both for participating! Very Happy

(even though things are shorter this time, I think we should just start the trend of judge's posting their own results, so I'll let Ysopet post his when he comes back online; I just wanted to get these results posted by the deadline)

Back to top Go down

FOG Writing Contest 10/14/12 WINNER! - Page 2 Empty Re: FOG Writing Contest 10/14/12 WINNER!

Post by Kathryn Lacey Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:15 am

Congratulations, Gadreille!

It looks like Gadreille and Kalon were neck-and-neck on this! That's freaking awesome!

Anyway, I stuck the winning entry in the Hall of Fame. ^^_^^

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:29 am

We practically tied!!! XD

Kalon, did you have as hard a time with yours as I did mine? I never felt so lost! Very Happy

Thanks, Judges, for your hard work.

Ten, I completely agree with your assessment of my piece. Every criticism I had of it you caught ~_^

Ysopet won't be home for a few hours, but I'm sure he'll post them up right away when he gets home.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:32 pm

Gadreille
Spoiler:

Kalon Ordona II
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:32 pm

Congrats to both contestants for such great entries!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tartra Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:49 pm

Congratulations, you two!
Tartra
Tartra
Apparition
Apparition

Female

http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2851668/1/The_Other_Kind_of_Roomma

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:46 am

Did I have a hard time?
Probably the hardest thing was making sure I didn't write myself into a corner. xD The sport had to be just so, and the creatures had to be just so, and I had to go through a phase of fiddling to get what worked, what I wanted, and the unexpected results of the interplay, all in alignment.

As for the secondary characters, they were skimmed over, yes, but I thought there was at least some personality to them all. :/ Maybe it's just because I was writing it. I try to get it across through what little dialogue I can squeeze in. Tilen was the more steady-type intellectual one (as opposed to Rayll's so-crazy-it-just-might-work approach), Syri was the one to spur things on--sort of the savvy one--and Raina was the follower, the one with the questions. *shrug* Part of the challenge of short stories. Smile

I did purposely avoid both ellipsis marks and dashes to depict the character ignoring what's being said. Ellipsis are usually for trailing off, and dashes are usually for an interruption, and this was neither. *shrug* And yeah, the one sentence that didn't have an ending. I hate finding stuff like that afterwards. xD

I also avoided an expositional description of the gammons. I knew it was probably an off choice and I probably wouldn't do it in a real story, but I thought it would be fun to see how accurate a picture people would imagine. Very Happy You get the sense of "what the heck is this thing" alright, but it ended up working against me in the beginning. xD If I were to ask everyone to draw what they think it looks like, I wonder just how diverse the results might be. Laughing
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2