FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Michael Jackson dies.

+9
Mezrin
Sighlent
Inerio
Squall Reyes
Fluff
Kathryn Lacey
Fate Flyer
Renji
Aesalon
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Michael Jackson dies. Empty Michael Jackson dies.

Post by Aesalon Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:35 pm

According to the LA Times, the King of Pop is dead.

Say what you want about what he had become in the last 15 or so years, love him or hate him, but the man and his music influenced the entire world.

Sob
Aesalon
Aesalon
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

http://www.fbnparanormal.com

Back to top Go down

Michael Jackson dies. Empty Re: Michael Jackson dies.

Post by Renji Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:40 pm

Tis a shame and rather sudden really DX
Renji
Renji
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:32 pm

I just heard about that on TV. He had a heart attack today. Farrah Fawcett finally died from cancer today also, after battling it for so long. What a monumental day in history.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★

Female

http://trynethetimetraveler.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:38 pm

Okay... Please, explain to me how he influenced an entire world? Just because he was known around the world doesn't necessarily mean he influenced it. If I'm not mistaken, more people were repulsed by his nose jobs than the number who tried to make themselves look just like him.

Sorry... I'm just angry because my boyfriend- who is a die-hard music lover- thinks I'm cold-hearted, and has stopped talking to me for the night because I don't have the capacity to feel sad about Michael Jackson's death.

It is sad. I understand what his family is going through because I've been there, but I have no reason to mourn someone I have never met. However, I'm still a terrible, cold-hearted person for this. I apparently don't recognize talent ((which is false because I love his music, just not him)), and yeah... It's fucking ridiculous. It's not like he was still coming out with great music any more. All of his music is already available to the public. The only difference is that now the prices are going to increase because when someone dies the worth goes up.

Farrah Faucet died today, too, of CANCER, but no one seems to care about her, either ((except for Fate and my grandma)). Actually, I care more about her than M.J. because my mom and my grandfather died of cancer. I have nothing to which I can relate in M.J.'s case. He was creepy, and he died of something from which I've never experienced someone close to me dying.

Actually, I lied. I guess I do care to the smallest degree. I hope his siblings are doing okay because I can relate to losing a sibling. I'm still not mourning his loss. I will celebrate his music, though.

Ed McMan(sp?) died yesterday, but no one cares about him, either ((including me)).

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluff Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:41 pm

Little boys everywhere around the world breathe a sigh of relief.
Fluff
Fluff
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

http://z9.invisionfree.com/the_temple_of_kraden

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:48 pm

It's ok Kat as a die hard music lover (aka musician) I can say I am not effect by MJ's death in anyway. Did he write some of his hits sure, did he have cowriters or ghost writer. Your damn right, what pop star doesn't! Music wise I loved the music but refuse to call it his because he sung the damn things. The music industry is notorious for giving credit where credit is not due, so he won't it from me. Also how could we NOT think about the thing's he's done in the last 2 decades? Possibly longer. As a good friend of mine said. "What is with this burying people who speak the truth. Just because he's dead we're supposed to forget about his dark side? When Charles Manson dies are you going to say, 'He was a hell of a painter'."
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Inerio Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:52 pm

OH NO!</lie>
I'm just about young enough not to give a damn.
I don't know, I think we make too big a deal of celebrity deaths. Hell, we make too big a deal of celebrity anything. I care about Micheal Jackson's death as much as I care about Robert Pattenson getting punched in the face or Lindsay Lohan being bisexual(or is it lesbian?).

Okay, so I lied about the Lindsay Lohan thing. I'd tap that.
Inerio
Inerio
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluff Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:53 pm

You're not alone. Your tapping would be mutual.
Fluff
Fluff
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

http://z9.invisionfree.com/the_temple_of_kraden

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:59 pm

Wouldn't you be afraid of getting an STD, Inerio? ^o_~^

Anyway, I think my boyfriend cares more about his ability to sing. Apparently he helped dying children, too, but I still don't find it in my heart to mourn him. Why should I care any further than I have the ability to care about a stranger? If he wasn't a celebrity, no one would care. No one would even know his name, let alone the fact that he could sing and help children.

Talented people who help other people die all the time, and no one cares about them, either.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:01 pm

Uh-oh... Squall called her Kat. *ducks for cover*

Kathryn -- everything you said I agree with. I think it's rather silly of your boyfriend to be upset with you, honestly, for not sharing in his pain. It's bogus. If you have never personally met a person, it's impossible to feel the level of pain that their close family and friends will for their death. How can anyone expect you to experience that? I mean, putting myself in his shoes, I could see me getting depressed if one of my favorite actors or actresses died (which, there only are a small few), but I definitely could not see me ever getting angry at anyone for not sharing in that. It's just not something you can expect out of people or ask from them. It really isn't fair at all.

I think Farrah Fawcett's death is going to end up being overshadowed by Michael Jackson's.

I know that these deaths will impact different people in different ways. Some adults that have grown up listening to Michael Jackson's music, for instance, may be caught off their guard in hearing that he died so suddenly, and then there will be those that didn't like his music or just simply did not like him who won't care. I think to expect people to feel one way or the other is just wrong. Let people feel the way they feel.

I agree with Kathryn, in that I wasn't a fan of Michael himself (as, quite frankly, he freaked me out...), but his music was amazing.

I think it was really great that Farrah was able to finish making her special for TV before her death. I didn't get to see it, but I'm happy for her that she was able to leave the world with a message.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sighlent Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:05 pm

Michael Jackson, though an ambiguous character as a human being did produce some of the greatest tunes in all the history of mankind. You have to give him credit for that. He was like the Elvis of his time and no matter how disturbed he was in his later years, his music was something of an inspiring cultural phenomena.

Come on, if you think about it how many movies would have lacked humility had they not of had the song 'Thriller' in it? Fact remains, that even if he was a poor choice of character as a human being, he was in fact one of the most famous singer/ songwriters in American history. And that is why it's such a big deal!

Elvis, Johnny Cash, hell Britney Spears, they have each had their not so great moments but that doesn't change the fact that their music is an inspiration and had great influences on our culture.
Sighlent
Sighlent
Ghost
Ghost

Female

http://jennibou.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:06 pm

Well put, Sighlent. Nod
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sighlent Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:09 pm

And the reason why we make such a big deal about their deaths is because of not who they are but typically what they did. Regardless of Robert Pattinson's involvement in Twilight, he was also in Harry Potter!

As for Lindsey Lohan, come on she's a pretty decent actress. 'Mean Girls' was a riot. Lol. And the 'Parent Trap' CLASSIC!
Sighlent
Sighlent
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:11 pm

Great influence on our culture? You mean like boy bands and reality TV? Yeah I think I hate him more now lol Sorry I had to say it, I'm not a fan of our culture right now XD....But again I'm not taking anything away from his singing or the music he put out, I'm simply saying it does not overshadow the evils of the last 2 decades which for all we know could have gone on longer. What they did to make money does not overshadow what they did to peoples lives. He gave to sick and poor children around the girl, and then did what he did? Sorry doesn't stand with me.
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sighlent Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:12 pm

Alright Squall, give me an example of your favorite band?
Sighlent
Sighlent
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:17 pm

Let's say Beatles so we can talk about how Phil Specter is a recording genius but how he still deserves to fry for killing that woman.
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sighlent Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:21 pm

Good example.

The Beatles are even more famous than MJ. But does that mean you should enjoy their music any less for the tragedy that occurred?
Sighlent
Sighlent
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:25 pm

Holy shit... I didn't even notice. ^o_o^ I think I'll be okay with Kat. I just prefer Kathryn to the extreme. I think my worst fear is that people will call me Kath, Kathy, Katie, Katy, Kay, K, etc. which is why I'm such a fascist about the use of nicknames on me. People actually call me Kathryn, Kat, Kitty, and Kitty-Kat in real life. One person even calls me Ryn, but the last one makes me feel like they're referring to a completely different person, so it feels weird. I'm a K not an R.

Technically... I grew up on his music, too, even though I'm not of the proper era. My mom's first husband had this VHS of a ton of M.J.'s videos, and I used to watch it over and over. I loved it. "Thriller" was always my favorite. Also, my mom had an eclectic taste in music which she passed down to me, so I would listen to those stations that played his music. It's rare to hear him on the radio any more, though.

Sighlent, Lindsay Lohan did a remake of The Parent Trap. The original is the classic. I will admit I like Mean Girls, but she went waaaaay down hill after she stopped starring in insta-hits.

I've never been affected by celebrity deaths. The only person who I would have never met who would have affected me with his death would have probably been Martin Luther King, Jr., but that way far beyond my era. Heath Ledger's death didn't affect me in any way except for increasing my desire to watch The Dark Knight, and that one movie he didn't finish filming in which the director had several different people take his place for different periods. That one still isn't out...

My grandma has an exercise video of Farrah's. It's awesome. I worked out to it one day. It's probably from the early eighties or something. Classic.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sighlent Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:31 pm

See what makes me mad is people say that 'oh it would have no affect on me' and that's a load of bull! Regardless of if you truly believe it or not, it does otherwise you wouldn't be sitting here right now debating it.

Sighlent out.

>_<
Sighlent
Sighlent
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mezrin Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:33 pm

I demand that at a certain time tomorrow everyone does the Moon Walk.
Mezrin
Mezrin
Shadow
Shadow

Male

http://manticoreproductions.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:35 pm

Oh see that's where your getting me wrong. I enjoy the music. I grew up with his music, the first 5 people I ever listened too as a child was Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, MJ, Johnny Cash, and The Beatles. I very much enjoy MJ's music, but I still think the person himself was lower than dirt. He made great music yes, I enjoy it. But never will I ever put that above his actions. I still think the "wall of sound" is what made music recordings what it is today, but Phil Specter deserves to fry. Very Happy See?
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:37 pm

I meant the effect of mourning, Sighlent. Of course it effects me. I have a soul. I have a boyfriend who won't talk to me because of this. I have a raging curiosity. Of course, I'm going to take an interest in the debate.

However, I am not going to cry over his death. I am not going to open up a space in the list of causes for my depression to fit "Michael Jackson DIES!" because it's ridiculous that I should ever have to do that.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sighlent Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:40 pm

Also another note about MJ. The Moonwalk.

Enough said.
Sighlent
Sighlent
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:41 pm

Aw, well that's good at least, since I kind of like the nickname Kat. :]

I don't think it's a matter of this death not affecting people. Obviously, it will leave an impact. He has been in the limelight since a very young age, and his bizarre and later questionable actions have put him even further into the spotlight. Everyone knows him. Some people never knew what exactly to think of him. Of course, many loved him.

When a person is that famous, it does affect people.

I think mainly what Kathryn is saying, is that it doesn't make her sad, which is definitely understandable, since I, myself, am not sad, so I can share in that. Does it affect me? Well, it's big news, and it's something to discuss and share in the shock with others. But am I going to be upset and depressed about it? I'm sorry, but no. I just haven't grown up listening to him. I knew him like every other average person knew him.

I guess what I'm getting at, is that there's a difference between feeling the impact of such a big death and feeling saddened by it.

EDIT: Oh, Kathryn already said it exactly for me! Lol.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sighlent Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:43 pm

Well I can agree with you there.
Sighlent
Sighlent
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sighlent Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:45 pm

Watching 'Beat It' lol and he was a pretty unique dancer. Who moves like that seriously!?
Sighlent
Sighlent
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:46 pm

I'll agree to that as well Fate.
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:49 pm

Nod

Lol no kidding, Sighlent! He did some really amazing dance moves! I don't know how he could dance like that. I wish I could do the moon walk haha.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sighlent Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:52 pm

Hell I wish I could dance period. I mean I can but not professionally like that. I mean he's so limber for a male which is kind of unheard of back during those days.

-Moves on to next MJ video-

Lol.
Sighlent
Sighlent
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:57 pm

I want to learn how to do the "Thriller" dance. It's still my favorite song by him.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next