FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Pokemon] I Wanna Be The Very Best! [IC]

3 posters

Go down

[Pokemon] I Wanna Be The Very Best! [IC] Empty [Pokemon] I Wanna Be The Very Best! [IC]

Post by Nation Thu May 17, 2012 11:07 am

[OOC] Topic

[Cianwood City]
[Mark & Mantine]

[Pokemon] I Wanna Be The Very Best! [IC] Spr_3e_226_s

A Delibird delivery for dad...
"Alright, Pops! I'm gonna go out to save the world."

"You do that, just get my Delibird back and be back by dinnertime," Mark's dad didn't think his son was serious.

"Will do," and with that, Mark closed the door behind him. A familiar gut-wrenching sense of uncertainty with bits of fear took him over. The familiar feeling was that of going out into the world to become a Pokemon Trainer. However, this was not Mark's goal today.

Mark tightened the toolbelt around his waist and panicked slightly when he was unable to find his Pokeball inside his jacket - the last one remaining in his household. Although untrained, his novice Mantine and Mark had enjoyed a few adventures prior to today. The duo swam around the bay surrounding Cianwood City. Speaking of Mantine, Mark was beginning to feel homesick not two feet from his home. He felt slightly lonely and proceeded to call Mantine out of his Pokeball - the last Pokeball in the Silversteel household and probably one of the few remaining original Pokeballs in all of Johto.

Prior to the Pokemon Purge, virtually everyone upgraded to Champion Balls. And why wouldn't they? They were more economical for the consumer, more convenient for trainers and were supposedly roomier for the Pokemon inside. The incident slightly irked Mark, but he quickly shrugged it off.

"Gotta stick to the game plan. I'll get that Delibird back by tomorrow. Come on out, Mantine!" Mark tossed the red and white Pokeball into the air and his Mantine gracefully flew out.

"Mantine!"

"Wait...maybe I better not. Probably not a good idea. Sorry big guy, but you're going back in your Pokeball." he said sympathetically.
"Mant-" Mark recalled his Mantine back into the confines of the Pokeball, worried that the recent lack of Pokemon may drive someone to steal his Pokemon. Due to recent events, Pokemon have become a rarity and supply has fallen. Nobody is able to acquire any new Pokemon to replace their kidnapped Champion Ball Pokemon. Reports of Trainers being mugged for their Pokemon or kidnapped by Team Rocket have appeared on the news lately. Mark realized it would probably be best to contain Mantine in his Pokeball for now. The amateur Pokemon trainer strapped on his backpack and pressed the button at the center of the ball and it immediately compressed. He placed his one and only Pokeball into a secret sewn compartment in his coat.

Mark's family cottage was one building east of the Cianwood City Gym. Before Mark realized that he didn't care to be a full-time Pokemon Trainer, the Gym Leader Chuck was somewhat of a mentor to Mark. As a child, Mark attended Gym matches and observed various trainers taking on his mentor - some of them successful, others failing miserably. Although Mark always used Flying Pokemon and put himself at a disadvantage against Chuck's Fighting Pokemon, Mark did win periodically, but for the most part, when the two battled it would end in a tie.

"Cianwood City Gym is closed. I'm away on a business call." - Chuck, Cianwood City Gym Leader.

"Aw, shit. What am I supposed to do now?" A bit clueless about where to begin his journey, Mark reached the only logical conclusion he could: "Next stop...Olivine City, I guess?" he hoped he was right, although Mark was relying entirely on luck and instinct as he had no idea how he was going to retrieve his father's Delibird and save the family business.

Climbing on his bike, Mark closed his eyes and listened to the Cianwood ocean breeze, perhaps for the last time. The salt in the air was a scent Mark would miss and he inhaled deeply one last time and bid his seaside cottage farewell. His destination, the high-spirited port city of Olivine, was but a short bike ride away and a hop on the ferry. On the Northern edge of Cianwood, the S.S. Anne ferry service connected his town with the Olivine City port.
Nation
Nation
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

[Pokemon] I Wanna Be The Very Best! [IC] Empty Re: [Pokemon] I Wanna Be The Very Best! [IC]

Post by Silvan Arrow Thu May 24, 2012 5:58 pm

‘This is it. It’s really happening.’

Those words repeated like a mantra through Seiko’s head as she stared at the new Pokegear in her hands, as if it were some alien artifact. Her travel pack and new folding bicycle felt unusual and foreign, bouncing between her shoulder blades with each step. She was so engrossed in pushing buttons on her Pokegear, trying to figure out how it worked, that she nearly bumped into people as she walked through the crowded square in Vermilion City.

A familiar nudge against her leg, accompanied by a soft whine, brought Seiko back to reality. She smiled reassuringly and patted Gygax on the head, eliciting a happy bark and tail wag from the female Growlithe. “Sorry, I guess I’m just a little distracted.” She looked around at the city she had called home all her life, committing the sights and sounds to memory. The refreshing ocean breeze whipped through her light brown hair, blowing it in every possible direction. Seiko paused mid-stride to tuck the loose strands behind her ear and straighten her turquoise peasant top and khaki shorts. After a childhood spent living a protected, sheltered life under her parents’ roof, she was finally leaving to start her Pokemon journey.

There was just one problem.

She had no idea where to go or what to do.

In hindsight, Seiko probably should have spent a little more time making plans before leaving home. Her strategy hadn’t gotten much past Step 1: Leave Vermilion City. And then…? Challenge gyms? Try and catch more Pokemon? Travel just for the fun of it?

Frustrated, she stopped in the middle of the city square, stared exasperated at the Pokegear, and shouted at no one in particular, “I don’t know what to do!!!”

And then her Pokegear rang.

Seiko jumped in surprise as she stared at the caller ID. She didn’t recognize the number, but the area code marked it as from Cinnabar Island. How in the world had someone gotten her Pokegear number so quickly?! She hadn’t even had the darn thing for an hour! She frantically pushed at the buttons on the Pokegear until the ringing stopped and she could answer the call. “…Hello?”

“Thank Mewtwo you picked up. This is Dr. Fuji of the Pokemon Research Institute. I was told by an associate of mine here at the Pokemon Lab in Cinnabar that you may be able to help.”

“Help you? How did you even get my number?” Seiko asked in astonishment.

Dr. Fuji continued as if she hadn’t spoken. “The scientists at the institute managed to salvage many of the documents prior to the volcanic eruption and we’ve rediscovered some research data that the Lab was working on years ago. Our findings are seemingly promising, but we need an extra hand to deal with some ruckus while we continue running experiments. That’s where you come in.”

“R-ruckus?! I don’t know if I…” What in the world had Seiko gotten herself into?

“Our lab was previously in contact with Giovanni, the former head of Team Rocket and received a grant from the criminal enterprise. Although it’s not much, I’ll tell you everything I know about Team Rocket’s activities. The S.S. Tidal ferry service should be running on schedule from Vermilion City and Pallet Town. Hop a boat and get your ass over here A.S.A.P.!”

CLICK.

Seiko started to shout something into the Pokegear, but Dr. Fuji had already hung up. She glanced uneasily at Gygax. “I guess…we’re going to Cinnabar Island?” Gygax simply barked happily and wagged her tail, completely oblivious to the strange conversation that had just taken place. Seiko sighed in defeat and turned in the direction of the docks.

The crowds started to thin out as the docks with ferries came into view. Seiko considered recalling Gygax to her Pokeball, as it would be all too easy for someone to jump out from behind a building or shipping container and try to mug her for her Pokemon. Before she could act on it, though, a stranger stepped out in front of her, blocking her only path to the docks. It was a young man, about her age or maybe a little older. He had scruffy auburn hair and wore a black hoodie, and he was clearly in good shape. “E-excuse me?” Seiko asked, her voice trembling slightly as she took a step back. Was he a thug trying to steal her beloved Gygax? Her alarm only increased when she noticed the male Nidoran accompanying him. Gygax, sensing Seiko’s fear, instinctively stepped in front of her and sank into a crouch, glaring a warning at the strangers. However, the young man simply offered a lazy hullo, which was mirrored by his Pokemon. “Can I…help you?” she asked hesitantly, awaiting an answer.
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

[Pokemon] I Wanna Be The Very Best! [IC] Empty Re: [Pokemon] I Wanna Be The Very Best! [IC]

Post by Guilty Carrion Sun May 27, 2012 10:19 pm

Gnawing through the perfect white of the bandage, Kendrick tore it off and fastened it around his wrist, eyes flicking about the crowd as he mechanically finished. It was a common enough routine, and he was almost as proficient as most nurses at tending small wounds. Flexing his hand experimentally, he ignored the slight sting that followed any movement. It’d be fine.

Rising from his spot on the bench, the brunette gave his surroundings a once over, eyes half-lidded with a sleep expression. Shifting footsteps drew his gaze to his feet, eyes drifting past the large purplish pink ears and down to the sharp reddish eyes that were staring up at him expectantly. The corner of his mouth twitched up into a grin, and he pinched the tip of his Nidoran’s ear affectionately. “Yeah, yeah. Enough slacking off, right? C’mon.” The Pokemon seemed pleased by his response, and the two started off into the crowded streets.

Ken had started his journey not much more than a week ago, receiving his Pokegear from Janine when he had fully ‘signed up’ to be an official Pokemon trainer. He’d promptly set off in no particular direction, but eventually found himself hugging the coast as he wandered north. It hadn’t felt any different than any of the other myriad times he’d wandered about; save for the absence of the nagging at the back of his head that he should go home sometime soon. The feeling was a little surreal, that he was truly free to go anywhere he wanted, and never have to turn around.

Which had brought him here, to the grand port city of Vermillion, home to the SS Anne, and the electric master, Lieutenant Surge. The thought of the gym leader brought his lips twitching upwards again, stretching into a greedy smile that set his eyes alight with a hidden fire. He had originally planned to rest up a bit before going off and facing the Lieutenant, but now that the thought was in his head, he just couldn’t get it out.

With Sledge hot on his heels, the trainer made his way through the bustling crowds, pleased to find them thinning out after a short while of shoving and pushing his way past those who just seemed determine to block his path. Of course, when he took a quick glance around, he found himself near the docks, not the gym like he had intended. With a sigh, he reached towards his backpack to fetch his town map, but a poke at his leg made him pause. Sledge chattered excitedly, motioning off towards the crowds again, and Ken could only wonder what the poison pin Pokemon had heard. Still, anything that got Sledge excited was worth investigating, so he made himself comfortable against the wall of a shipping container.

After a few moments of waiting, his patience was rewarded, a young woman roughly his own age emerging from the hustle and bustle with a Growlithe trotting along happily at her side. Sledge bounced on its tiny feet back and forth in a style that almost looked like a boxer, red eyes zeroed in on the Growlithe as if it was the only thing in the world. The girl didn’t exactly look like a trainer, or at least, not an very experience one. Her thin brown hair was a little too clean for someone who spent most of their time travelling from place to place.

‘It never hurts much to check.’ He mused, quietly leaning against his crate as she drew closer and closer, seemingly oblivious to his presence. Either she didn’t notice she was being watched, or was simply ignoring his subtle, yet persistent stare. As she drew closer, however, he stepped out fully into her path, stopping her dead in her tracks. She stared up at him, and he stared impassively back, and it took her a moment to find her voice. “E-Excuse me?” So she hadn’t noticed him, and judging by the slight fear on her face, she was expecting trouble.

The Growlithe took point, raising its hackles and looking more than ready for a fight if it should come to it. Sledge was in front of him, still bouncing back and forth as it chattered excitedly at the apparent challenger. Kendrick couldn’t help but grin one-sidedly at the prospect. “Hullo.” He flicked his hand up and gave a two fingered wave, which seemed to assuage some of the girl’s worries about his motive. If he’d taken the time to think about it, he might have realised the threat of his approach, suddenly appearing before her with a Pokemon at the ready.

Fortunately, he wasn’t one to sweat the details, leaning back on his right foot and tapping quietly with his left. The question seemed to hang in the air, as he pondered the best method of getting an answer out of her. Bluntly won out. “You a trainer?” It was a casual question, but plenty loaded depending on her answer. There was a brief pause, before the young woman responded.

“Um…yes?”

His eyes opened fully, suddenly much more alive than they had been the entire conversation, and the sudden intensity behind them seemed to startle his newfound opponent. “Perfect.” Sledge’s bouncing stopped, his feet spread into a stable stance and a look of grim determination etched into his little face. “Let’s have ourselves a little fun then, yeah?”

“Wait…fun? What are you talking about?”

Ken pulled his hands from his pockets, scratching at his head as if the answer was the most obvious thing in the world. “I’m a trainer. You’re a trainer. So, we battle.” The woman blinked, before looking at the area around them.

“Here? But there’s people everywhere!”

Ken’s grin didn’t falter, shrugging his shoulders carelessly at the worry. “People will see and make room. No one wants to be on the receiving end of a battle.” He pointed at her with a smirk, wagging his finger about as if she was trying to pull a fast one on him. “Stop worrying about the details!”

“I…I don’t know…” The Growlithe seemed to have had enough of the back and forth too, barking and wagging its tail at the trainer, who seemed to take some comfort from the Pokemon’s enthusiasm. “Oh…okay, I guess if you really want to!” She smiled, and Ken’s instantly light up to a million watts. “Okay, we’ll give it a shot!”

“S’what I like to hear! Sledge, let’s rock and ro-” He paused suddenly, blinking once at the young woman before scratching his temple awkwardly. “I forgot it’s kinda rude to battle before I know you’re name.” The woman blinked as well, likely in the same boat as him.

"I-I'm Seiko Nakamura, and this is Gygax," she replied, gesturing first to herself and then her Growlithe.

“Nakamura, yeah? Cool. Name’s Kendrick Wattson and this is Sledge.” The Nidoran chattered in annoyance at the interrupt for petty formalities, and Ken could only agree with him. He vaguely heard the girl say something, but it was far too quiet, and he was far too eager to get underway. “Alright, Nakamura! It’s go time!”

With a glance at Sledge, Ken’s grin went full tilt, so wide it threatened to split his face. “Sledge! Let’s rock and roll!”
Guilty Carrion
Guilty Carrion
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nation Tue May 29, 2012 8:39 am

[The Voyage of S.S. Anne]
[Mark & Mantine]

[Pokemon] I Wanna Be The Very Best! [IC] Spr_2c_226_s

In the distance, across several miles of cerulean sea and shore, the Olivine Harbor was visible. Flocks of white and red bird Pokemon flew overhead, their loose plumage raining down on the harbor. From this distance, the specifics of the Pokemon were unidentifiable.

The Cianwood salt wafting in the air was more concentrated on the deck of the S.S. Anne than in the proximity of his father’s seaside shack. Mark wheeled his bike up the ramp onto the S.S. Anne and rested it against the guard railing of the ship and eagerly awaited the boat's departure from Cianwood City. Leaning against the railing, he listened to the commotion on deck as the sailors got everything in order and waved farewell to Cianwood. A voice over the boat’s intercom announced: “All aboard! The S.S. Anne will be departing shortly. Please make sure you have all your belongings.”

A flash of luminescent red sparked and materialized a being of matter to the left of Mark; his Mantine had managed to fidget out of its Pokeball, releasing the not-so-reliable locking mechanism.

“Mantine! Mantine!” still slightly upset at his abrupt confinement, Mantine nudged Mark.

“Smell that? That’s the smell of adventure on the horizon. Can’t blame you for not wanting to be stuck in there, Mantine.” Mark welcomed the company his Mantine brought and even if such company was unwelcome, the artistic scenery painted across the horizon was a sight even Pokemon should enjoy. Mark rather enjoyed showing his Mantine obscure objects and taking him to all manner of landscapes. He believed he could teach Mantine “culture.” Mark recalled how just a few years ago, Olivine City was a quaint city. Not particularly alive. However, in recent years, the hustle and bustle of Olivine City put it on the map.

"I have no idea how the hell people years ago managed to see each other. Kanto and Johto were more or less isolated. Thank Mew for technology!" But technology was a double-edged sword and it was also the destructive capability of technology that was responsible for the kidnap and ransom of countless Pokemon, including his father’s Delibird.

Although not prone to violence or outbursts of anger, Mark was having trouble comprehending the situation: “How someone could be enough of an asshole to do something so morally bankrupt is beyond me,” he told Mantine.

“Manti” it nodded in agreement.

Beep…Beep…BEEP!

The PokeGear device in Mark’s inner coat pocket alerted him of an incoming call and judging from the tempo of the alert tone, it wasn’t going to be good news.

"Hello, are you there? Hello...can you hear me? Ok, good. This is Prof. Elm. We have a bit of a situation at the Goldenrod City Radio Tower. I'd handle it myself, but I'm barricading the laboratory from newbie trainers who are trying to break down the door to get a new Pokemon. The supply of Pokemon plummeted and the demand rose exponentially and couldn't keep up.

Nobody has access to Pokemon Trainers everywhere are unable to FLY with their Pokemon. Flying Pokemon have been rendered useless. The wild bird Pokemon have become extremely aggressive and FLYing is not safe. In addition, hordes of Skarmory and Crowbat have been attacking the Radio Tower during the day. Hoothoot flocks have been defecating on the Radio Tower and flying into the glass windows and flying shrapnel is harming the radio station workers. Do you think you could check it out in my stead? I have a hunch Team Rocket might be behind this..."

“I’m on the S.S. Anne headed towards Olivine, but I’ll head right there Professor. There better be something in it for me though! Some trainers may be willing to do charity work, but my services require some sort of incentive,” clarified Mark.
“Yes, yes, we’ll discuss your reward later. Please make haste!” Elm seemed desperate.
“Will do, Professor,” Mark pressed the small switch on his PokeGear to end the call and conserve energy.
“This journey isn’t going quite as planned. Sorry you didn’t get to fight Chuck earlier, Mantine, but it seems you’ll get a good workout once we reach Goldenrod. I only wish we would have the chance to hang around in Olivine for a bit, but alas duty calls! I promise I’ll take you there some other time.”

“Mantine!” Mark’s aquatic and flying pal was too busy enjoying his two favorite elements of nature – water and air – to care about Professor Elm’s urgency. The misty tide crashing into the ship lightly sprayed Mantine, which he found refreshing.
“Your ass better be ready for a good fight, fella. It seems some bad Pokemon are causing trouble in the Radio Tower in Goldenrod.” Although Mantine hadn’t had a good battle in a long time, his natural activeness and exuberance ensured Mantine was always excited about fighting. Mark’s graceful Pokemon shared his fighting spirit and bravado.

“If Team Rocket is there, we’ll take them down one battle at a time, won’t we?” Mark egged his manta on.

“Manti! Manti!”
Nation
Nation
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:03 pm

Everything had happened so quickly. One minute Seiko was heading towards the ferry, and the next she was about to battle a complete stranger that she had just met. “Alright, Nakamura! It’s go time! Sledge! Let’s rock and roll!”

Before Seiko could correct Ken about using her first name, he jumped right into the battle as Sledge charged straight for Gygax with a Tackle.

And of course, Seiko’s knee-jerk reaction was to panic.

“Um…uh…what do I do?!” she stammered as the male Nidoran quickly closed the distance between himself and Gygax. Fortunately, Gygax’s instincts took over, and she tried to jump out of the way. However, she still got grazed on the side by the attack and flinched in pain from Sledge’s rough hide. Sledge only seemed spurred on by the near-hit and wheeled around for another Tackle without losing momentum. This time, Seiko actually had her head in the game. “Dodge it, Gygax, and use Ember!” The Growlithe nimbly leaped out of the way and spewed dozens of tiny fireballs from her mouth at Sledge.

However, Ken’s head was also in the game too. “Quick! Dodge it!” Sledge was quick on his feet and avoided most of them, though one or two fireballs knicked him. “Now Leer at her!”

Gygax shuddered initially from the intimidating glare and stood frozen in place. “Shake it off, Gygax!” Seiko exclaimed. Gygax, locking onto her trainer’s voice, shook her head and growled at Sledge. “Try another Ember, and this time scatter it so he can’t dodge!” She could clearly see that Sledge preferred close-quarters combat and wanted to keep Gygax at a distance if at all possible. Her Pokemon obeyed, spewing embers from her mouth and moving her head side to side to increase the attack’s coverage.

“Up and over, Sledge!” Ken commanded. Sledge responded instantly, easily clearing the barrage. He gave Seiko a smirk that practically screamed, “You’ll have to do better than that!” and called out a Double Kick.

The attack came too quickly for Seiko to react initially, and Gygax took the first kick in the face. As the second kick descended, Seiko called out, “Quick! Use Bite!” Gygax grabbed Sledge’s foot in her mouth, much to the Nidoran’s surprise, and for a second they remained locked in that position, with Sledge suspended in the air. At first, Seiko didn’t know what to do with her sudden advantage. “Um…uh…fling him away!” Gygax, fortunately, did one better. She spun Sledge around in a circle and flung him towards the nearest cargo box. He bounced off the container, landed in a heap, and then scrambled back to his feet again.

“Shake it off, Sledge!” Ken encouraged his Pokemon. “Give her another Leer!” Sledge was more than happy to oblige. “Now use Horn Attack, battering ram style!”

At first, Seiko hesitated. Here she had a sharp, venomous horn heading straight for Gygax at full speed, and she knew now that running away and dodging wasn’t an option with this tenacious little fighter. Counter rushing was also a terrible idea. Could she possibly improvise again? She had an idea, but she didn’t know how well it would work. “Stand your ground, Gygax!” Her Growlithe looked back at her questioningly but remained in place, still trusting her trainer. When Sledge was nearly within striking distance, she called out, “Jump straight up!” Gygax complied and avoided the horn with mere inches to spare. “Now use Take Down from above!” She hoped to hit Sledge squarely in the back, safely away from the horn on his forehead. However, her timing was still slightly off. Sledge had just enough room to rear up and aim with his horn for a hit so that he and Gygax collided full force.

Seiko gasped in horror as her plan backfired and Gygax flew back from the impact and landed in a heap in front of her. “A-are you okay, Gygax?!” The Growlithe whimpered and twitched as she pulled her paws under her body. “Please…you have to get back up!” Gygax gave a determined half-growl, half-whine and struggled to her feet, breathing heavily but still showing from her expression that she wanted to keep battling. Meanwhile, Ken chuckled a bit as Sledge wobbled unsteadily on his feet from the head hit. ‘Gygax is almost spent. I have to end this battle quickly.’ Seiko only had one option left, and she knew it could very well backfire against Sledge’s preferred method of fighting. “Use Flame Wheel head-on!”

Calling on the last of her strength, Gygax cloaked herself in flames and charged for Sledge, who had finally regained his balance. He glared at the approaching wheel of fire as Ken ordered a Poison Sting. “Keep going, Gygax! Jump over it!” Gygax gave her effort, but she was already tired and couldn’t get enough air to clear the attack completely. She dodged the worst of the barrage, but a few of the venomous darts penetrated the fire and hit her while the rest burned up. Still surrounded by fire, Gygax dive-bombed Sledge from above while the Nidoran gave a tiny roar and tackled in retaliation.

Head-on tackle met wall of fire, sending both Pokemon flying away from each other to land in respective heaps in front of their trainers. They started to struggle to their feet, still glaring competitively at each other, when Ken cleared his throat. "I think that's enough. We'll call it a draw, alright?" Sledge spun about, chittering furiously at his trainer, who just chuckled at the small Pokemon. "You did good, Sledge, but I can't have you mauling yourself before we take on Surge."

Meanwhile, Seiko rushed to Gygax's side and rested a hand on her Pokemon's side. "Are you okay?" Gygax whimpered a little but licked Seiko's face reassuringly, making the girl smile. "I'm glad." She turned her attention back to Ken. "You and Sledge really are an amazing duo. I'm glad we met you." She awaited his response.
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down