FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beneath the Flesh

2 posters

Go down

Beneath the Flesh Empty Beneath the Flesh

Post by Annalysa Jones Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:02 pm

Drackmen City, one of the first places to be taken over by the infection. It had only taken the matter of a few days to get to Drackmen, and in those few days were everyone was waiting for the infection to come, all of the people in the city began to slowly leave and take whatever they could with no worries about laws or the like.

Elena and her family had just come into the city for another one of her beauty competitions, seeing as her family went to every competition with her to make sure that she wasn't traveling by herself. They had been in their hotel rooms when the news of the infection had come onto the news for the first time. Her first reaction was to leave the country and try to get away from it, but her family had other plans. They figured the government would be able to stop the infection before it could get to Drackmen, but they were horribly wrong.

Her younger brother was the first one to go with the infection, then her parents. She found herself able to hide from the hideous zombies that came beating down through the hotel building, and as soon as she figured she was safe, she made a run for it.

It had been several days since she was left to fend for herself now, and by this time, the makeup that she had had on was now, for lack of better phrasing, raccoon eyes. Her hair in a curly disarray flowing down past her shoulder blades. She sat inside the small gas station buildings bathroom, trying to splash water onto her face to make herself look more presentable, if only to herself.

She figured that if there was nobody to look good for, she could at least try to look good for herself, and that's exactly what she planned on doing. She took a look into the mirror and for the first time noticed that she looked younger without all her competition makeup on. But she pushed this realization to the back of her mind as she stepped out of the bathroom and looked out the front to see how light it was outside.

To her, it seemed that the sun had been out for a few hours; but that really meant nothing to her. She had been running around without a weapon the entire time, all she had been doing was running like hell whenever she thought she was around those damn things. And that's what she planned to keep doing as long as she could; until she was 'caught' by them, or until she found someone to keep her safe. She was hoping for the latter.
Annalysa Jones
Annalysa Jones
Mist
Mist

Female

http://myyearbook.com/scottywilson

Back to top Go down

Beneath the Flesh Empty Re: Beneath the Flesh

Post by Mustakrakish Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:32 pm

Asher leapt over the brick wall, his hand pushing off the rough surface, swinging his legs up and over and landing heavily on his feet. He took off at a run, breathing lightly as he darted through the deserted streets of Drackmen City. Well, they would have been deserted if not for the shambling hordes of…what exactly? He wasn’t sure, but he knew that whatever these things were they were not something he wanted to get cornered by. He was sure he was making enough noise to lure the entire city to him, but at this point he was just thinking about getting the hell out of the area.

Asher almost smiled as he looked back on how things had turned out over the past day. It was ironic, yesterday he would have wished for nothing more than to be out here in the open air of Drackmen once again, but today all he wanted to do was get the hell out. He had been awoken in his cell at Drackmen Central Prison by the wailing of an alarm, and he clutched the cold bars of his cell, peering into the darkened corridors lit only by the spinning red lights on the walls. What he saw shook even his hardened mind to its core: everything was in chaos. Guards and prisoners fought each other, neither discriminating against the other as they clawed, bit, and clubbed each other into pools of blood and gore. Some of them were even eating the others. Asher didn’t have time to sit and take in what was going on, because soon the bloody hands of a guard had grabbed his wrists, a primal scream erupting from a gore soaked mouth as the guard tried to bite down on Asher’s hand. He was able to escape by grabbing the man, if you could even call him that anymore, by the collar and repeatedly slamming his face into the iron bars until the man went limp. He had grabbed the guard’s keys, unlocked his cell, and taken the collapsible police baton at his waist before making a break for it. It had been a tricky task getting out of that prison alive, with the whole installation on lockdown and the strange creatures roaming the halls in a feeding frenzy unlike Asher had ever seen.

But he had gotten out, and now he was running. His orange prison jumpsuit caked in dried blood, thin prison shoes offering little in the way of protection from the rocks and debris that lay strewn across the streets. He heard the cries of his pursuers, guttural, unnatural sounds that no human vocal cords could have made. He cut down one street and another, making a zigzagging pattern in order to throw off the shuffling feet that he was leaving steadily behind him. He knew that he needed three things: water, food, and new clothes, in that order. A new weapon wouldn’t hurt, but the metal baton had served him well enough so far. Asher mentally cursed himself for not looking for a gun before he got out of prison, but searching through the blood soaked halls had been the last thing on his mind. A small gas station with most of its windows caught his eye, only because it looked like it hadn’t been too heavily looted in the madness that ensued after the outbreak of these creatures. He slowed his run to a jog and entered the gas station, the tiny bell at the top of the door jingling softly as he opened it. Asher held his baton at the ready, his steps carefully measured as he prowled through the rows of broken beer bottles and empty shelves.
Mustakrakish
Mustakrakish
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Annalysa Jones Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:02 am

As she heard the bell above the door go off, her automatic reaction was to duck down so she could hide herself best she could behind one of the shelves. She could practically hear her heart outside of her chest as she listened carefully, trying to hear the sounds of whoever or whatever just came through the door of the establishment. "I'm not ready to die, I can't die here," she thought to herself as she stayed silent.

Though her silence only lasted for a short period of time as she began to walk along the shelf carefully, head still ducked down to keep her out of view as best as possible. Though, seeing as some of the shelves had gaping holes of emptiness where products used to be, she looked through the closest one to her carefully.

As soon as she did, the orange of his prison uniform caught her eye. She slowly straightened herself up to look over the shelf to get a better view. She was hoping that this person was actually still normal, or what she was about to do would end up being the worst mistake of her life.

She quickly moved out from behind the shelf so she could see him. She was silent for a moment before quietly calling out to him. "Are you real," she asked, though she quickly realized how odd that sounded and she rephrased quickly, "I mean...are you still normal?" She knew if he wasn't, it would become obvious quite quickly, and she would only have a short head start to run.
Annalysa Jones
Annalysa Jones
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustakrakish Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:17 am

"Are you real…I mean...are you still normal?"

Asher spun on his heel at the sound, his police baton raised to strike, but he stopped as soon as he saw who the voice behind him belonged to. Standing before him was a young woman, strikingly beautiful despite the circumstances of their meeting. He almost laughed at the situation that had presented itself. Here he was, wearing a prison jumpsuit practically covered in gore, and this attractive young woman was asking him if he was normal? He thought about giving her a snarl just for fun, but the tear stained eyes and desperate look made him lower his weapon without a sound.

“Yea, I’m still normal. At least I am in the sense that I won’t try to rip your throat out with my teeth,” Asher said evenly, “I assume since you can do more than simply growl and scream that you are also.” He walked toward her, picking up a few empty bags of chips from the floor, dumping the crumbs onto the palm of his hand before tossing the bags away in frustration. He hadn’t had anything to eat since dinner last night, and by the look of the sun starting to dip down to the west, it was starting to get to that time again. “You wouldn’t happen to have a change of clothes for me in that bathroom would you?” he asked sarcastically, looking down at his blood stained wardrobe, “I seem to have gotten a little bit dirty on the way over here.”
Mustakrakish
Mustakrakish
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Annalysa Jones Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:43 am

She flinched quite obviously when he spun around and had the police baton ready to strike, though she didn't move from where she stood. She looked at him for a moment before her attention was brought back to his face as he began to speak.

When he stated that he was normal enough to not rip out her throat, she felt a bit of relief; finding herself smiling slightly as he he stated that he was going to assume that she was normal still as well. "Finally, someone else who isn't one of them," she said, almost mumbling it to herself. Though, as he sarcastically asked if she had a change of clothes in the bathroom for him, she laughed some. "Not unless you're into cross dressing," she said to him.

She had noticed him pick up the bag of chips and empty out eh crumbs before throwing the bag away from him. She looked back at the bathroom for a moment before back to him, "if you're hungry, I have some stuff that I managed to find in this place that wasn't in too bad of shape," she said to him. She was hoping that in giving him food, he would stick around to help keep her alive. Though she figured it wasn't best to just ask about it right off the bat, considering she didn't know him and he may not want someone trailing along with him. "I'm sure you can clean up your...outfit, at the sink. It won't get rid of all of it, but it should do for the moment at least, right?"
Annalysa Jones
Annalysa Jones
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustakrakish Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:56 am

Asher smiled at the girls comment. Well at least she isn’t so broken that she can’t crack a joke. He figured for the time being he could stick around with her. He was more accustomed to working on his own, thinking only about himself, but having someone to watch his back would be helpful in this new world he had stepped into. He felt like he could trust her enough, though he doubted that she trusted him. Still, Asher figured that she needed him a lot more than he needed her at the moment.

Her comment on the food made him rethink that last thought a bit though.

He collapsed the baton and held it down by his side, “Absolutely, though I think we should find a place a bit safer before we decide to sit down to dinner. It’s starting to get dark and I’d rather not be out with those things walking around when the sun goes down.” Asher looked around, finding some empty plastic bags on the floor and scooping them up, handing one to the girl before beginning to scavenge the gas station for anything else the looters may have left behind. As she took the bag from him he added, “I’m Asher by the way, though we may be dead before you even have a chance to forget it,” he said, flashing a sly smile
Mustakrakish
Mustakrakish
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Annalysa Jones Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:31 am

Elena couldn't help but agree with him, it wouldn't be the best idea to stay in the gas station, anything could just walk right in. She nodded in agreement, "are there any places nearby that would be safe enough to stay in for a while. I'm not really used to this city," she said.

She took the plastic bag from him and as he gave her his name, and the tad bit of commentary after it, she spoke up again. "I'm Elena, and I would hope we don't die anytime soon," she said before she started scavenging about the place as well, "i'm not exactly ready to die yet."

She wasn't sure how exactly tagging along with someone who had, by the looks of it, been in the nearest jail before finding would play out. But, she knew it was better than going around alone, with no means of protection and not really knowing where anything was in this city.
Annalysa Jones
Annalysa Jones
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustakrakish Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:25 pm

"You and me both, I didn't sprint my way all the way over here to die now."

Asher began scooping up whatever he could find for food or other supplies and putting it in the plastic bag. He didn't know how long it had been since the epidemic had broken out, but it had at least been long enough for this place to get cleaned out pretty good. By the time he had finished scavenging, Asher found a couple candy bars, a few bottles of water, a box of band aids and a couple bags of potato chips. Not a whole lot that would sustain the two of them for very long, but for now it would have to do. Asher hoped that Elena had better luck with the stash she had.

Asher looked to see if Elena was ready to go, then slowly pushed open the gas station door, peeking his head out to make sure the streets were clear. So far it looked like nothing had roamed its way into the street, and Asher pushed the door open fully, motioning for Elena to follow him as he made his way outside. The sun was sinking lower, and Asher guessed that maybe it was around 4 or 5 oclock, giving the two of them 2 or 3 hours before they were going to be in trouble. Asher started thinking of all the places that would be safest tonight, and the list was pretty short. The police station was out of the question, sure to have been hit by looters and probably stripped of windows and doors. The National Guard Armory was much to far to reach on foot, and if it was still up and running was most likely on a tight lock down. Asher decided the best bet would be the local high school. Multiple entrances and exits, not a priority area for alot of looters to go, and the school would have been evacuated first in the event of an epidemic.

"Alright, I say we head for the high school for now. Its not too far, and should offer us decent shelter for the night while we work up a plan."
Mustakrakish
Mustakrakish
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Annalysa Jones Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:13 pm

Elena continued to look about what was left around in the establishment, she knew it wasn't much, but she also knew that it was possibly going to be the best they could find for a while. This fact alone made her a bit nervous. She never liked not being sure of anything, not knowing what was going to happen next. It reminded her of some kind of horror movie were something bad happens when the poor characters least expect it; and considering the situation at hand, she wasn't being too crazy thinking that that was a possibility.

She had found a few things; some of them slightly trampled, but it was better than nothing, and that's all that mattered in her head at the moment while she was picking them up.

As she heard him opened the door some, she quickly grabbed the stuff that she had in the bathroom before hand that was all residing in a medium sized purse. The things in it weren't too important, sh had a bit more food in it, some left over pain killers she had grabbed from the hotel room before running, and a few other things that wouldn't be of importance now, but she still cared to have them with her for the time being.

She quickly followed him out and as he stated that they should go to the high school, she nodded. "Lead the way," she said to him. She was still unsure of how to get around this city, it was her first time ever being in it, and it's obvious how lovely that trip ended up going. She figured while they walked there, she could start up conversation so they weren't completely stuck in silence. Though she figured talking to loud wouldn't be the best idea ever either. "What happened..in the jail," she asked, "how did you get out?" She was only assuming that that was why he was wearing the orange jumpsuit, unless he had been at some strange costume party; which she doubted.
Annalysa Jones
Annalysa Jones
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustakrakish Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:43 pm

Asher looked back over his shoulder as he started walking down the street, keeping his ears open for any sounds. “The jail? It was pretty bad. I don’t know how any of this happened, and I don’t know how it got so bad so quick, but the prison was in a cluster fuck,” Asher said, shaking his head as he remembered the bloody moments before his escape.

“Everyone was killing eachother, blood all over the place. One of the creatures must have gotten in and infected everyone, and they just ran through the halls preying on the living. Not a whole lot someone can do when they are trapped in a cell. I got lucky, was able to grab some keys and sneak out in the confusion. I don’t know if anyone else made it, but I doubt it. Still, fresh air and no bars on the windows beats having to fight for you life.”

Asher kept a steady pace, wanting to make good time and get to the school before it got dark. It was still his safest bet, but there were a lot of hallways and classrooms that he wanted to check out before he decided to settle down for the night. There were bound to be one or two creatures roaming around the halls, and he didn’t want to bump into one accidentally when he got up to take a piss at night. It was only a few miles away, but he had his doubts on whether Elena could keep up. He could just leave her behind, but for some reason he felt like he should help this girl.

“What about you, how did you end up in that gas station? Got anyone out there looking for you?”

Mustakrakish
Mustakrakish
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Annalysa Jones Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:10 pm

Elena listened to him as he explained about what had happened at the jail, though if anyone else had been watching her, they would have thought that she was completely ignoring him by the way she was looking around almost frantically. But who could blame her really, the place was completely different now.

She picked up her pace a bit, wanting to stay right in step with Asher. She figured that if she didn't at least try to stay up to speed with him, he would leave her behind. She didn't want to be a burden or something that could possibly get him killed, but she wanted to live too.

She continued to look about as he threw a question her way' to which she replied, "I ended up in that gas station because I had to get out of my hotel room. I came here for a competition with my family and...well..it didn't turn out to well." She paused for a short moment before continuing, "they got attacked and I hid until I was able to leave. I just kept running until I got to the gas station and I locked myself in the bathroom for a while, hoping it would keep any of them from finding me."

She thought about this for a moment. She hid, it was all she could think to do, how pathetic she now felt because of it. But, she gave a small sigh and shook her head slightly, tossing hers thoughts about it to the back of her mind. She looked at him as she asked, "if you want to move faster, you can. I'll keep up," she said in a rather childish tone. Though she truly didn't mean for it to come out in said tone.
Annalysa Jones
Annalysa Jones
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustakrakish Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:25 pm

Asher looked over his shoulder at Elena. “We aren’t very far from the school; we should make it there soon. Plus the faster we go the more noise we are going to make and I would rather not have any of those things following us.” He kept his eyes scanning the streets for any walkers, constantly checking over his shoulder to make sure they weren’t being followed. He kept to the sides of the road, hugging the buildings as they walked, peeking around corners before crossing alleys and intersections. After about 10 minutes of walking, he saw the school at the corner of. He scanned the area, looking for anything that might make this a bad place to hole up for the night.

The school building was two stories, which was bad if they got cornered on the second floor. However there was a low brick wall, maybe 5 feet high, surrounding the front. The wall made a small courtyard at the entrance and an iron gate blocked the courtyard from the street. Besides that there was a big set of heavy wooden double doors to get inside the school, and from Asher’s position he couldn’t see a back entrance, but he was sure there was at least one. Perhaps best of all, from what he could see the windows were all intact and there were no roamers in the courtyard. He turned to Elena, pointing at the school. “That’s it, and as far as I can tell it looks like it’s in good shape. When we get in there stay close, there could be those things lurking in the corners.”

Asher started walking to the gate, pushing it open and leading Elena inside, before closing it and looking around for something to lock it with. The gate had a simple locking mechanism, holes on the door and on the wall that a person could slide a padlock through, locking them together. Unfortunately the padlock was gone, and there weren’t any sticks or bars around that Asher could use in place of that. Or were there? Asher expanded his baton, shoving it into the holes and effectively locking the gate behind them, preventing any creatures from getting the jump on the two of them. He hated to leave his only weapon behind before entering the possibly dangerous school, but he knew that keeping that gate locked was the only way to make sure no more creatures got in. He would just have to find something else in the school.

He made his way slowly up the stairs to the school doors, trying to stay as quiet as possible to not alert anything to their presence. He looked to Elena and held a finger to his lips, and then placed his hand on the doorknob, turning it and pushing it open to reveal the long dark hallway, littered with books and loose sheets of paper. Jerking his head inside, looking around, he waved at Elena to move up, and stepped inside the school.
Mustakrakish
Mustakrakish
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down