FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Race for the Cure

2 posters

Go down

Race for the Cure  Empty Race for the Cure

Post by Ruu Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:54 pm

Royce Augustus Demetrius Aloysius II, affectionately known as Roy to most, sat with his eye glued to the magnifier lens. Or, he should have been, but he had drifted off to sleep, an occurrence that had been more frequent of late. His pale blue eyes could not be seen underneath his closed eyelids, and his unruly mess of russet colored hair fell to cover them even more. His face was pale, making him look much younger than his fifteen years. His breath came in pitiful gasps; breathing was harder now...especially with the coughing fits. So far, he'd been able to hide the symptoms, but for how much longer...

A gentle hand reached down to touch the boy's shoulder, stirring him from his slumber. Roy looked up with a rather disoriented expression before a small smile touched his features.

"Ah...Uncle Adrian," he murmured.

"Are you alright?" asked the newcomer anxiously.

He was a strong man with a muscular frame, looking to be somewhere in his forties. His turquoise eyes were filled with concern as they took in the youth's appearance. Something was definitely wrong.

"Oh yea, I'm fine," replied Roy offhandedly, "I just needed...ummm...a little relaxation and time to think. I'm so close to finding the cure, Uncle Adrian. Just a few more algorithms away..."

"They can wait until after you've had the supper I've brought you," replied his Uncle firmly.

"But...I have to find the cure! I just have to! I'm almost there! I've already found ways to at least hinder its growth. Every second I waste, someone else dies...I won't let it happen anymore! I've already lost..." here the boy's voice falter and he had to bite back stinging tears.

Adrian gave the boy a gentle hug as he whispered, "Your parents would be very proud of you. You couldn't have done anything for them. Don't dwell on it. You need to eat up and then you'll be stronger and more productive, right?"

Roy gave him a tearful nod.

"That's my boy," said Adrian with a grin, setting a steaming plate of food before him, "Eat up! You know you're still growing!"

"Alright, I will. You go get some rest too, alright Uncle Adrian? I know you stay up all night when I do. You need some relaxation too."

"Alright, alright, I'll go see if there's anything good on TV. I think you should join me after you eat. Get your mind off all those problems."

"Well...maybe, I'll think about it," promised Roy, waving to his Uncle as the man walked off.

Hard as he tried, he couldn't get his mind off of the terrible disease laying waste to the city. It had started in the poorest slums, but had soon spread to the rich as well. Strangely...it were those activists lobbying against the corrupt and bloated government that had been the first to go. But now even the Prime Minister himself had fallen ill. The disease had started mildly, just like a cold. But soon it spread to the lungs, causing shortness of breath, and asthma like symptoms. Further stages of the disease changed dramatically as tiredness and fainting spells became common. Usually death came when the disease progressed to pneumonia or bronchitis. The problem was that though these diseases were usually treatable, this disease reacted violently to any antibiotics and caused quick death in the patient rather than a cure. Roy was the only one who had developed medicine that could at least slow the disease and ease the symptoms a bit. He was also the only one who knew that he himself had contracted the strange illness...He was truly on a time limit now.
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Race for the Cure  Empty Re: Race for the Cure

Post by *Lozy Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:58 pm

The only sound in the dark room were the pitiful shallow breaths of the young girl laying on the bed. She was wrapped in blankets and her light brown hair stuck to her face with sweat. A woman sat on the side of the bed facing away from the girl her head in her hands, long fingers twisted in her short dark hair and her palms rubbed her forehead. She hadn't moved from this position in a long time. Before, she had been starring at the girl for hours it seemed but with utter disgust she had turn away to this position. She made no noise, even her breath was a painful whisper, her mind was occupied. Completely consumed by this young sickly girl. Her hazel eyes were closed, and her face was towards the ground.

A young man entered the room. His blue gaze crossed the girl but fell on the woman."Boss," his voice called through the faint light.

"What?" the woman did not look up.

"Boss, we need to talk?" concern mixed oddly with the young man's voice as he spoke to his authority.

"Did you find him?" She look up finally, wiping her forehead with the back of her wrist.

The man's reply was only a small nod, but it was enough to bring the woman to her feet. With a slow intact of breath, and stiff muscles she rose, and before leaving she kissed the young girl's damp head. "Show me." she commanded as they left the room together.

The two walked down the hall of an old house, one that seemed to be falling apart; the wall paper was curling away from the walls that were disgustingly dirty, windows were boarded up, doors seemed like they had been kicked in, and there had possibly been a fire in the kitchen a couple years ago. The woman's eyes looked straight ahead, she was focused on where they were going, the study, if it could be called that. The young man next to her kept a wary gaze one that in the past few months had been growing on him. As they entered into the light of the study the group fell in. A handful of young men aging from about 16 to 21 and now their leader to join them, a young woman of 19 years. She cocked an eyebrow at their formality, and immediately they loosened up.

"Arden, how's Bowie?" Aaron, the oldest, asked.

"She'll be better whenever we find this guy." the woman's voice was even as she walked over to the table the boys seemed to be gathered around. A map of the entire city was open, tones of lines, circles crossed out, and questions marks covered the paper, but now in red ink was a large dark circle around an apartment building. Arden's full lips pursed as she analyzed their marks, "So, this is him, for sure?"

"Well, Boss we can't be sur-" a younger mousy boy spoke up, his name was Drake, but he was cut off by the boy with the blue gaze, Alex, and the second oldest Ben.

For almost a year this group had been looking for the man with the cure. All of them either orphaned or lost because of this virus laying waste to their lower part of the city. Even after the loss of their leader the pressed forward appointing his oldest daughter, Arden, as "Boss". But, until a few months ago their search had never been so strong. Up until recently they hadn't known the full measures and Arden's father had not been so persistent, but now to Arden it was more dire then ever. Her little sister, Bowie, was dying and Arden wouldn't stop till she was cured.

"We think he's here," Luke, and older boy closer to Arden's age spoke. "No all that far, kind of right under our noses. It wouldn't be much to kidnap the guy and bring him here. But, I would suggest a watch team, make sure he's not the only scientist in there."

"Alright, you'll go tonight. Luke, navigation. Ben, muscle. Drake, brain. You'll stay there tonight, so pack it up, and get your asses moving." she smirked to the boys, and they smiled before leaving for their things.
*Lozy
*Lozy
Mist
Mist

Female

http://foreversincerely.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruu Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:20 pm

A few hours later, Roy was no closer to discovering the breakthrough he had desperately been hoping for. It broke his heart because he believed he had been so closed. How many more mothers, fathers, children, brothers, sisters, friends, lovers...would have to die before he found the cure? He felt the need to work ceaselessly, but his mind felt so muddled, fogged up. He was only in the very early stages of the disease, but it was disorienting nonetheless. He had administered the drug that slowed down the symptoms of the sickness to himself, but they had the side effects of clouded thinking and increased fatigue. Coupled with sleepless nights and waking nightmares, it was almost impossible for him to work any longer. If the disease didn't take him, the hard work would.

So now he had gone outside for some fresh air, standing on the small balcony of the apartment building, a soft blue cloak covering his slight frame. The cityscape was a mixture of destitution and prosperity; science and nature; technology and the crudest materials. In many ways mankind had advanced, but in others they had fallen so far behind. The corrupt bureaucracy gave everything good to their own and ignored the needs of the increasingly poor middle class. The poor were becoming poorer, and this had led to the rise of gangs in the city, using violence to make a point when corrupt politicians did nothing to help them.

Roy's parents had been the exception rather than the norm. Their likeable personalities had risen them to great heights, and his father had once been a candidate for Prime Minister. They spoke of bridging the gap between the rich and the poor and providing opportunities for all. That all came crashing down when they were one of the first to contract the illness, silenced in the height of their power. If it hadn't been a disease, Roy would have almost believed it to have been murder. And yet bio-engineered weapons weren't unheard of. It made his head hurt to think of all the murky machinations of politicians. That was why Roy had wanted nothing to do with them. Instead, he had turned to his love of science. A child prodigy, he had already been through advanced courses of chemistry, physics, and biology at his young age. He knew things that had taken learned scientists years to discover. And yet the one thing most important to him still eluded him, as it did all of the other top scientists as well. But only he was close...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Adrian..." a soft voice spoke into the stillness of the dark apartment as a slim, lithe figure slipped into the house, removing her key with a click.

Adrian walked forward, turning on lights and rubbing his eyes, eyes that widened in surprise upon seeing the visitor. She was a pretty woman with blonde hair that fell in rivulets to her shoulder, eyes the color of ice yet filled with a warm glow. She was clothed simply, tastefully in a home-made sweater and a light green dress. Her walk was cautious, however, one who knew she was being hunted.

"Clarise...What are you doing here?" Adrian demanded, even as he wrapped her in a warm embrace, "I thought you had that important vote coming up soon. Shouldn't you be getting ready?"

He looked around before drawing her into his bedroom, the only room in the house he was sure wasn't tapped.

"I had to come, Adrian, to warn you. Things are getting worse in the government. Senators like me are disappearing at an alarming rate, though most of them are getting sick. This disease...it has to be some kind of political weapon, we just can't prove it," replied the woman, unable to hide the trembling in her eyes, "Ah...but before all that...How's our darling Roy? Is he at least sleeping better?"

"He says he is, but quite frankly I don't believe him," grunted Adrian, shaking his head, "He's obsessed with finding the cure."

"That's what worries me," whispered Clarise, "The government...if they're really behind it. They'll stop at nothing to stop him. Have you seen anything suspicious around here lately? Has Roy been acting strangely?"

Adrian shook his head, "No, I think they've learned to leave us alone. They won't be back here again. But Roy has been different...very tired, a few coughs. He says it's just a cold."

A dark fear touched Clarise's heart as she looked at Adrian sharply, "Brother...Why didn't you tell me? You know the disease starts out as just a cold! If he's sick, he needs to be in the hospital right away."

"And what will the hospitals do for him, Clarise?" asked Adrian with a sigh, "I've already known, though he tries to hide it. He's very sick, Clarise, but his only hope is in finding the cure, both for himself and the millions dying."

"You can't possibly let him continue to work on it! He's just a child!" cried Clarise, a touch of anger in her eyes, "And how could you have the nerve not to tell me?"

"You were busy Clarise. Your work is important too. He's not as young as you think. I've been watching over him. I wouldn't let him continue if he were in serious danger. But he's developed a serum that can at least halt the process somewhat, though it isn't a cure. I'm pretty sure he's given it to himself."

Clarise looked away for a moment, blinking back tears, "He's the reason I came back. I don't think he's safe here anymore, Adrian. Word of his cure is getting out, much as you've tried to keep him secluded. Even the gangs are whispering about him...My agents say that there whispers of kidnapping even. You've got to move him, Adrian. The government could be a danger too. I don't know who to trust there anymore."

Adrian studied her for a moment before nodding, "We'll move out tomorrow. I was planning a move anyway."

"Good," replied Clarise, seemingly at a loss for words, "I...want to see him now before I go. Where is he?"

Adrian looked at her long and hard, gauging how angry she was, how hurt by the news, "He's upstairs in his room. We'll go to him together."
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down