FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Was anyone else Lost?-- May contain Spoilers!!

+3
Misery
Axiom Awaits
Lord Revan
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Was anyone else Lost?-- May contain Spoilers!! Empty Was anyone else Lost?-- May contain Spoilers!!

Post by Lord Revan Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:58 am

So for the people here who have gotten to know me so far, one of the things you have probably realized I have a slight obsession with the TV show Lost. So I figured I would start a topic where fellow fans can come and discuss anything about the show they want.

So, feel free to let me know if you are a fan. What you liked, disliked about the show. Which characters, mysteries, plots you enjoyed?

Last edited by Marcus2477 on Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Lord Revan
Lord Revan
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Male

Back to top Go down

Was anyone else Lost?-- May contain Spoilers!! Empty Re: Was anyone else Lost?-- May contain Spoilers!!

Post by Axiom Awaits Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:00 pm

I really enjoyed the first 3 seasons of the show when it was about the crash, how people were struggling to survive and uncovering all these weird things about the island. The idea of the Dharma Initiative was really cool. I liked the story behind it and how they all came there to study the island. When they found Desmond and the hatch, that was really interesting also.

I think it was during season 4 when things started getting weird for me. Everything about the Dharma Initiative had pretty much been revealed and the plot lines that interested me were over. The whole freighter thing and then the time traveling stuff all sort of turned me off to the show. I guess the Jacob thing was somewhat intriguing. I just didn't like where the story line was headed anymore. By season 6 I found myself saying, "alright, this is getting a little ridiculous." All-in-all though, I thought it was a good show.
Axiom Awaits
Axiom Awaits
★ Administrator & FoG Father ★
★ Administrator & FoG Father ★

Male

Back to top Go down

Was anyone else Lost?-- May contain Spoilers!! Empty Re: Was anyone else Lost?-- May contain Spoilers!!

Post by Guest Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:07 pm

I LOVE that show! I actually didn't get into it until the 5th season. The entire thing except season 5 was on Netflix Instant Watch at the time, so even though I wasn't waiting each week for a new episode, I watched them one right after the other and had trouble stopping to go to bed at some points("Okay, after this one it's bed time. ...Oh wow! They end it THERE??? Alright...just one more and then bed time...for real.").

My favorite character has always been Locke and I felt like after everything he gained and everything he went through he totally got cheated in the end. But I was SO right there with him believing in digging up the hatch and believing in putting in the numbers and all of that. More than I felt anything for the "logical" doctor, Jack. He just seemed like a total arrogant jerk all the time. But I think it was like that from my point of view, because we the audience get to see everything that's happening on the island and all the crazy, miraculous things that occur. So, yeah, with all of that information, his refusal to believe in anything seemed a bit annoying, but it's not really his fault, I suppose.

I LOVED the time travel stuff(and I love Daniel Faraday the character). By that point, a normal explanation just wasn't sufficient to satisfy me anymore. It HAD to go in a bizarre sci-fi direction to make everything before it feel worth it to me.

The Jacob stuff in season season 6 was a bit annoying, but I was still pissed that Locke died and learning that everything he believed in was basically a lie(I really wish they would have resolved his end in a gentler way). The whole "arguing brothers" thing just seemed like we were going backwards with the "interesting explanations"; it was kind of anticlimactic and a bit confusing.

But overall, it's an epic show and one that I definitely plan to own some day.

My favorite "Lost song": https://youtu.be/O3_vZ-v27-Y

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Revan Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:20 pm

Axiom, I actually liked it more and more as it went on, with one exception. The first half of Season 5. The time travel stuff kind of got annoying to me. Every time I would see that flash of light, I would cringe. However once they finally stopped time traveling, and landed in 1977 I loved the rest of the season.

Ten, like I just said I did not like the time travel stuff, and I enjoyed the Jacob story. So I guess we are a bit opposite. My favorite character is Sawyer, though I loved early Sawyer, the one who just didn't care more than the later one, though as a character he did need to grow. After him, my favorites were Ben (best villain ever), Desmond and i also loved Daniel Farraday.
Lord Revan
Lord Revan
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:41 pm

When you mentioned "time travel stuff" I included the entire time they spent in the past when I said I liked it, including when they were in 1977 for a while. But, yeah, we differ about the "flashing light" thing, because I didn't really mind that part or them jumping around to different times before it finally stopped.

And I actually liked Sawyer better when he "grew-up" in later seasons. ^^;

One of my favorite things was that whole "Desmond constant" stuff when they were on the freighter. I liked the whole "time travel of consciousness only" thing which is different from the way I've seen time travel portrayed before. It seemed much more personal and almost like there were definable rules about the whole thing - like, Desmond only went "back" during his own lifetime.

Biggest thing I didn't like: Michael. Loved Walt. Hated Michael, his dad. Such an insecure and selfish d*****bag. Acting as if he was the ONLY one who wanted and deserved to get off the island.

Back to top Go down

Post by Misery Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:35 am

Ah, Lost. The show that demonstrates that a bad enough ending can ruin the whole show. I got into the game late, but in the midst of season 6 I had season 1 practically forced on me by a Lost fanatic friend.

Seasons 1-3 were horrifically addictive... and then... the characters started to drift away from being interesting to just making dumb decisions for pointless drama. It became obvious that they weren't actually going to resolve any of their mysteries until the end (or so I thought) and Desmond became pretty much the saving grace of the show, Brotha.

Determined, I choked down season 4 and 5, each worse than the last, then finally finally got to season 6. Expectant for epicness I overlooked everything else... each episode gnawing more and more at the depths of my subconscious, screaming that the ending would suck...

Ah, but how little I knew how BADLY it would suck. By the time I watched the last TVRed episode, my friend had already had a week to have the horror of it sink in.

And he raged. And raged.

While I had dedicated a mere 3 weeks to power watching it and was disgusted with it, he had been a Lost fanatic for 6 years, read interviews, the whole 9 yards. And the rage from him.

But yeah... if there were some way to rewrite the ending to y'know, resolve anything or... not suck a huge huge amount, then I would have considered it a pretty decent series.
Misery
Misery
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:14 am

Misery, what in your opinion was wrong with the ending? I actually kinda liked it, but I know lots of people really hated it(what I hated about it was that the show was over Razz ). What are your reasons for disliking it? What resolutions would you have liked to have seen?

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Revan Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:29 am

Misery. I am actually one of the, what seems like a few, who actually liked the ending. Now, did I think it could have been better, of course. I know many of my friends didn't like it, but I thought it actually summed up what the show really was about. In my eyes Lost wasn't really a show about a crazy island, it was a show about the people who were stuck on this island. The ending showed this, it showed how important these people were to each other. Of course being a hard core fan of the show, I thought they could have ended it better. However I was not one of the people who thought the ending ruined the show.
Lord Revan
Lord Revan
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:24 pm

I'm in the middle of moving, but I must say that I loved LOST, beginning to end. The end made me very sad...there were a lot of things that were not tied up, a lot of things that made you want to say "HEY, that was SO not fair," and a lot of stuff that made you want to say "What was the point?"

To me, those are the great questions of life. Great show. Will expand later.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Revan Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:33 pm

Ryona, that is exactly how I felt about the show, from beginning to end. The mysteries are what made it great. The fact that the creators and writers of the show were willing to leave some things a mystery makes it an even better show in my eyes. Most shows wouldn't do that, but even after it is over, there are still things to discuss about Lost, because of the things left mysterious.
Lord Revan
Lord Revan
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Misery Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:38 am

Ten wrote:Misery, what in your opinion was wrong with the ending? I actually kinda liked it, but I know lots of people really hated it(what I hated about it was that the show was over Razz ). What are your reasons for disliking it? What resolutions would you have liked to have seen?

Go Go Gadget Spoiler Tag! (massive ending spoilers here, do not click if you ever plan on watching Lost without being spoiled, no really.)

Spoiler:

There were several more I'm sure I could think of, but it's really not worth it. I sort of saw it, went "well that was lame" and promptly tried to forget about it rather than raging on the lameness of it.

Essentially, I think the first 3 seasons were awesome, but more or less a bluff. They tried to make it seem like there would be some big payout at the end that would explain everything random they did in the show, but really they don't, and it winds up having so many holes in the plot that I wonder if the plot didn't cross the mafia and get the Sunny treatment ala Godfather Part 1.
Misery
Misery
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Misery Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:47 am

Ryona Noel wrote:I'm in the middle of moving, but I must say that I loved LOST, beginning to end. The end made me very sad...there were a lot of things that were not tied up, a lot of things that made you want to say "HEY, that was SO not fair," and a lot of stuff that made you want to say "What was the point?"

To me, those are the great questions of life. Great show. Will expand later.

There are different schools of thought from it. The friend I've stayed in touch with the longest is a lover of the 'trails off to let the reader decide the ending' sort of ending. To me, it's like pepper. A dash of it can add the right sort of flavor to the right sort of story.

But Lost was far "over-seasoned", if you catch my meaning.
Misery
Misery
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:38 am

Misery wrote:Go Go Gadget Spoiler Tag! (massive ending spoilers here, do not click if you ever plan on watching Lost without being spoiled, no really.)

Spoiler:

There were several more I'm sure I could think of, but it's really not worth it. I sort of saw it, went "well that was lame" and promptly tried to forget about it rather than raging on the lameness of it.

Essentially, I think the first 3 seasons were awesome, but more or less a bluff. They tried to make it seem like there would be some big payout at the end that would explain everything random they did in the show, but really they don't, and it winds up having so many holes in the plot that I wonder if the plot didn't cross the mafia and get the Sunny treatment ala Godfather Part 1.

Wow! Haha! I have to say that I kinda agree with you about all of that(my thoughts while reading each point and question: "Hey... hey, yeah! WTH, man?"), except for number 4. Major spoilers in the tags(I feel kinda dumb warning about this though; the series has been over for a year now; kinda feels like I'm warning people about spoilers before I talk about the ending of the Sixth Sense >_>)

Spoiler:

Everything else, I can sort of agree with. ^^; But I, personally, enjoyed the journey for what it was and was actually happy with the way it ended. A kind of, "They're all okay now. They did it. They overcame it." type thing. So, I'm a part of the group of people who's willing to ignore all the stuff they didn't explain or the stuff that didn't make sense when you try to fit it all together at the end; it's a TV series and thus it is a victim of the weekly "trying to keep you coming back". And I don't begrudge them "tricking me" to get my view, with false promises and empty mysteries. I enjoyed every moment of the suspense(on the whole; like I said, the season 6 "fighting brothers" crap kinda felt less interesting than the stuff that came before it). Razz

But thank you for explaining your opinion about it. Those are lots of good points.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tartra Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:07 pm

Tartra
Tartra
Apparition
Apparition

Female

http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2851668/1/The_Other_Kind_of_Roomma

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:26 pm

Bahaha! XD

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Revan Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:19 am

Those videos are awesome. I actually saw the middle one and thought it was great.

Ten, I feel exactly how you do about the ending for the show. Yes, could there have been more of an explanation of the Island? Sure. But what was Lost really about? It was about a group of strangers who crash onto an island, and how that changes their lives. The ending showed that, and I loved how it showed just how important them meeting and forming relationships was to each other.
Lord Revan
Lord Revan
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:22 am

One thing I liked was actors as well and cameos. Like, for instance, the guy who played Jacob, I recognized as the older brother from Drowning Mona - it was so freaky seeing him play the role of a wise, benevolent, mythical figure on Lost.

When I first watched the series through and got caught up to season five, I did not know who Clancy Brown was. While waiting for season 6, I got into Carnivale and became familiar with him but didn't make any connections with anything I'd seen before. When I rewatched the entire series again while watching new episodes of season 6, when I came upon the episodes where Desmond first finds the hatch in flashback, Clancy Brown played the guy who was pushing the button before him and I backwards recognized him.

Then after Lost was over I watched old episodes of Law and Order: CI and Michael Emerson(Ben) played a lead role in one of the episodes. I tried to convince the detectives that they couldn't trust him("Dude! He's the bad guy, I'm telling you!") but apparently they couldn't hear me or something. Hmm Anyway, his character in that episode almost ended up shooting his kids with a rifle.

And I recognized Libby as the gal who played a crazy, psychopath on the soap opera Guiding Light many many years ago(when I was, like, 8 or 9, I use to watch it with my mom).

Bunches of tiny little things like "Oh, I know him/her! They were in..." or later on, watching something else and being like, "Holy crap! It's Sawyer!" Anybody else enjoy that part of the show experience? I know it's not technically a part of the story plotline, but it was one thing I enjoyed throughout the series and I thought I'd bring it up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Revan Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:37 am

I do that all the time. Ben, is also the 'bad guy' in the first Saw. Sawyer was a vampire killed by Angel in the very first episode of that show. Jacob played the devil on Supernatural... I could go on and on...
Lord Revan
Lord Revan
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tartra Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:02 am

Hey, hey, hey! Don't just point out Ben in Saw! Miles was there too and he needs some love, especially since he was the cop that got a shotgun through the head chasing after Jigsaw.

Jacob is also Rita's husband in Dexter.
Tartra
Tartra
Apparition
Apparition

Female

http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2851668/1/The_Other_Kind_of_Roomma

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Revan Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:05 am

And Ben's mother, is Carrie Preston, Michael Emerson's real life wife, and she is on True Blood. Richard Alpert is the mayor in the Batman movies. Claire was on an episode of NCIS. Not too mention that Michael, and Mr Eko came from Oz.
Lord Revan
Lord Revan
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:57 am

OMG! Yes! Oz! XD

"Don't let that Aryan Brotherhood member talk to you like that Mr. Eko! Give him a good wallop with your prayer stick! ...Or I guess stabbing him with a shard of glass works too...and raping him in the showers, of course... >_> ; "

Michael was also the pilot of the Nebuchadnezzar in the second Matrix movie.

Did you know that Jack, Matthew Fox, used to be on Party of Five when it was running? 8[ I did not know that, nor did I recognize him until probably the 5th or 6th season of Lost when I came upon something that mentioned it. I never watched the show, but it used to be on before another show I watched, so I've seen a bit of it. Totally did not click when I saw Jack.

Another thing, I had a fondness for different hairstyles that the characters had during the show. Like in Claire's flashbacks when her mom died, I loved her black hair sort of gothy look. Charlie's little mohawk in season 6 was cute. ^^ I also liked Jack with a beard - he'd make a very sexy hobo or Maine fisherman. But I HATED the season 6 "just long enough to comb his bangs to the side" look. Gah! What a dork! XD I also wasn't fond of when Hurley's hair got really really long.

Do you guys remember any of your first impressions/theories about things, before you actually learned more about them?

Like, back when they were just whispers who/what did you think the Others were?

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Revan Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:46 am

Well I had a few theories. One of my earliest ones was that the monster was some sort of ghost. I also at one point thought the reason the Others wanted Walt so badly was that he could see the future, or so they thought. Too bad that one was never answered.
Lord Revan
Lord Revan
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumeus Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:45 pm

Infuriating show.

Spoiler:
Lumeus
Lumeus
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:24 pm

I'm not really into arguing about why it should be called a good show or not. Some people don't like it. Fine. Some people do like it. I like it, even if you guys give me a hundred reasons not to, I'm still gonna like it. So yea. I'm not meaning ill by skipping everything said before here, I'm just not going to bother responding to it because I don't want to be told what to think, and I'm sure everyone who hated the show would enjoy me returning the favor.

Anyway, Marcus, I thought you might enjoy this:

Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Revan Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:58 am

Thanks Ryona! I was celebrating the anniversary yesterday by watching the first and last episodes!
Lord Revan
Lord Revan
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:43 pm

Aw. I'd love to watch it again. The ending makes me cry, every time. And the pilot was just awesome!
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Revan Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:44 pm

I own the complete series box set. It was the only thing I bought myself last year of any real value. I will probably watch the full series again each year. I love it that much. I totally agree with you about the ending too.
Lord Revan
Lord Revan
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:17 pm

I want to watch it all again! I might do that in my 2 hours of free time in the morning before work...

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:20 pm

We bought each season individually, we just haven't had time to watch it. Maybe after we finish Band of Brothers. Silvone, you should be writing in the morning!

I have to admit, the biggest bummer is knowing that when
Spoiler:
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:23 pm

I can't write in the morning. It puts me to sleep, or I'm so tired I just can't focus. That is why I do mindless things like video games...

I am very disappointed in John Lockes end, but I don't think he was ever "meant" to have a noble and fulfilling end. He was supposed to bring the characters together, to convince them to stay, and he did that to the best of his abilities. His life was harsh, but you could say everyone's was. At least while he was alive he had something to believe in. Jack did not.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next