FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Are You Reading?

+81
AlyssAsylum
Moon Ray
cheeseface
Icipher
CaitlynnTrevor
Lord Revan
JayMorris2011
AkatsukiHime
Count
Raspeyer
Ana Kingsley
Christoph
Notebookface
Sgt. Tacoz
MidsummerMermaid
Artorius
BehindTheMask
Undisputed
Digital Muse
Nation
BenetLee
UnfortunateBountyHunter
Skitzo-phrenick
IWroteASongForYou
Fate Flyer
Heyseuss
Dax
Lonewalker
Kingmaker
Ununhexium
MSurber90
SpaceWheeler2.0
xraineyesx
Lyonesse
Spear-Face
Lucian 'The Wolf' Harth
Shadow Moonseye
Bird of Hermes
Cypher
Kalaam
Blackrock
Cosmic Wavelength
Ragter the junior greeter
Mydnyte Syn
BarnyardLovin
6billionghosts
Bugg Superstar
Bad Kitty
Gnossienne
Shekinah
ravenroses
NotAliceInHerWonderland
MoiraofWords
Sunwolf007
The Melancholy Spirit
Lets Dance On Fire
Stion Gyas
Barbarossa
Kalon Ordona II
Mack
Lord Saladin
Gadreille
RedBaku
Deadpan
m00se4brainz
Igraine
Rusty Wings
Hello Danger
LunarScorpio
Dio the Awesome
Loki
Twoface_ecafowT
Squall Reyes
ImmortalSin
ShadowPhoenix0307
Eternity
Aesalon
Gilbert
Lara
Kaito
Kathryn Lacey
85 posters

Page 4 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

What Are You Reading? - Page 4 Empty Re: What Are You Reading?

Post by NotAliceInHerWonderland Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:16 am

Wow Kalon you and Reffy have something in common Razz xD
NotAliceInHerWonderland
NotAliceInHerWonderland
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:13 pm

This is to say Reffy likes Discworld as well?
If so, awesome! ^^

Anyone else read Discworld novels? Every single page is hilarious. Laughing
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:59 pm

I haven't read Discworld, but I'd like to read it eventually. For my birthday, Misery gave me The Great Book of Amber by Roger Zelazny, but I think I'm going to wait to read it until after I return from my visit with him in January.

At the moment, I've decided it's time to read The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher since I'm in a role play that was inspired by the series. I'm currently on the first book, Storm Front.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by MoiraofWords Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:26 pm

Kalon, we went over how I also read Discworld Surprised. In fact, I just read The Unseen Academicals, the newest discworld novel ^^

Currently, I'm reading the sorceress of the alchemist series (the young adult ones i think...)

It passes the time.
MoiraofWords
MoiraofWords
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:43 pm

Meh. Some young adult novels are pretty good. Just because they're geared toward "young adults," doesn't mean someone has to be embarrassed about it. In all honesty, saying it's just to pass the time sounds sort of like an excuse for why you-of-all-people would be reading a young adult novel. If you enjoy something, then you don't have to grant an excuse as to why you're reading it.

I read smutty romance novels sometimes. Not all are good, but at least 1/4 of the ones I've read weren't bad. I also recently read the Uglies series ((Uglies, Pretties, and Specials)) by Scott Westerfeld. I like that series a lot. I still need to read Extras, but it's not due back to my library until early December, so I'm reading the Dresden Files instead.

None of the books I read are just to pass the time. I don't read books unless they've peaked my interest in some way. I want to read the Alchemist series because it seems really interesting, and I think it's a little insulting to have someone say, "Oh... I'm reading this to pass the time." Reading a book for that as the predominant reason just means that you're wasting your own time with it.

Why can't people just admit that they're reading books because they enjoy them or at least felt some interest in reading them other than just to pass the time?

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by MoiraofWords Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:52 pm

I do enjoy it. But it passes the time until I get more books.

It's never safe for me to read a book unless I have a few others in the house for when I finish the first. And I've only one book now.

And books pass time. Activities pass time. There's nothing wrong with suggesting an activity passes time.

I won't read anything that doesn't interest me that I have the option to choose.
MoiraofWords
MoiraofWords
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:00 pm

Yes, but the way your entire post read, it struck me that you seemed almost embarrassed about what you were reading, and you had to have some lame excuse for why you were doing it - in this case, passing time.

It was insulting to me personally because even though I reading books passes the time, it's not like I'm only using them for that excuse. I understand that everyone is different, but it's like suggesting that reading in itself - something I spend copious amounts of my life doing - is only useful to pass the time, like it's not worth anything more than that.

Thanks for at least admitting you were enjoying it, rather than hiding behind "time passing."

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gnossienne Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:11 pm

Kathryn, I think maybe you need to stop taking forum posts personally and accept the fact that other people have different opinions from your own. You seem incredibly insecure about how other people view your reading material, and there is no reason for you to feel that way. Nobody here is judging you as a person based on what you read, I am sure.

Right now I am reading Thinking in Pictures by Temple Grandin (an autistic animal scientist whom I met at a recent book signing) and Helping Children With Autism Learn. Both of these are related to a paper I am writing for my Psych practicum, but I tend to read such things for pleasure anyway.

Over the past couple weeks I have also read Possession by A.S. Byatt (loved it), The Virgin in the Garden by A.S. Byatt as well (it was okay), and Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee (did not enjoy this as much as I had hoped, based on the recommendations of friends). Having to take public transportation every day means I get to read more than I could otherwise. Smile
Gnossienne
Gnossienne
Mist
Mist

Female

http://www.howdelightful.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:53 pm

Oh right! I totally forgot about that, Moiros!
Yay, so now we are THREE that read Discworld! cheers
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:16 pm

I'm not actually all that insecure. My insomnia pill was kicking in when I wrote that. It's really not a good idea for me to try to have any conversations when my brain is fuzzy from them. I think it was more me just trying to justify why it pissed me off, as stupid as that sounds.

Regardless, I still think it's incredibly obnoxious when people try to hide that they like something because of how they think other people will react, though. It's like they're trying to hide who they really are and what they really like just because they're afraid of what others will think.

I'm kind of on the fence about Storm Front. It's a neat premise, but the main character kind of annoys me on occasion. I'm not sure I appreciate the overly cheesy jokes in it, but that could partially be because none of those jokes are fresh. I've heard most of these cheesy one-liners before I ever read this book. The plot and my interest in the events are good enough for me to continue reading it. I hate not finishing books even if they're bad.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:36 pm

I know what you mean about not finishing books. It feels awful, even if the book isn't so great--or perhaps it is, but it's not my cup of tea. I've done that a few times. Sometimes I'll stop after reading the first book in a series; I did that with The Riddle-Master of Hed by Patricia A. McKillip. Didn't really appeal to me as much as I thought it might, so I stopped after the first book.

I did read the first Runelords book, by David Farland. The second book is one that I never finished. I don't really know why; I just stopped. The whole Runelords concept is pretty cool. Very Happy
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:11 pm

I see nothing wrong with not continuing with a series if the first or second book doesn't strike your fancy. I mean, I don't feel bad not finishing a series if that's the way it is - unless all of the books are bound in one volume because it feels like I'm not finishing the book if that's the case. Of course, I like to continue with series even if the first book wasn't amazing because sometimes the series gets better as the writer has more experience. That's what I'll probably do with the Dresden Files. If after the first few, it's still not up to par, I probably won't finish the series. I think there are supposed to be quite a few books in it, so yeah. XD

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gnossienne Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:18 am

The way I see it, my time on this earth is limited and I'd rather spend it reading books I actually like!
Gnossienne
Gnossienne
Mist
Mist

Female

http://www.howdelightful.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Kitty Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:35 am

Kalon Ordona II wrote:Oh right! I totally forgot about that, Moiros!
Yay, so now we are THREE that read Discworld! cheers

Four!

I'm wondering when the Orcs will turn up in Ankh-Morpork with their own cultural graffiti and late-night food shops. Also, it's nice to see that Granny's pet priest, Mightily Oats, is still doing his rounds in Uberwald. It's not often we get an update on the fate of old characters.

I can definitely believe that he named the double-headed Battleaxe he got at the end of Carpe Jugulum 'Forgiveness' though. It's a totally badass Holy Symbol.

My current read is 'God of Chaos' by Tom Bradbury. I'm about four pages in since I finished reading Unseen Academicals less than an hour ago.
Bad Kitty
Bad Kitty
Mist
Mist

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:40 pm

Facts are that there will never be any one book that everyone who reads it will enjoy. There will always be those who like it and those who dislike it. If I read a book that it turns out I dislike, the fact that I read it ensures that I can still discuss the pros and cons of the book with others who may or may not have enjoyed it. Besides, sometimes, the end of a book is just so damn good that it makes up for the rest of the book being crappy. If I was simply to place the book back on the shelf without finishing it, I would never know if it got better or not.

Plus... when I was little, I saw this episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark? in which this kid's babysitter made him read a book, and he was transported into said book, and he couldn't escape until he'd read the entire thing. I wonder if perhaps that has influenced my desire to always finish a book? Who know?

Storm Front is a bit better now that I'm almost halfway finished, and I am certainly hooked.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugg Superstar Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:50 pm

As I am interested in philosophy I've been reading alot of great philosophical works lately. Currently I am reading Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Nietzsche. A great book, with very interesting viewpoints. The language is also great, even in the translated version that I am reading. I wish I knew how to read german though, I have heard Nietzsche is regarded as one of the greatest german writers in terms of language.

Bugg Superstar
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by 6billionghosts Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:23 pm

I'm reading a book about a local county's history. Lots of underground films, stars that came from here, etc. Very rich and wonderful.
6billionghosts
6billionghosts
Mist
Mist

Male

http://betrayedzine.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MoiraofWords Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:34 pm

Now I'm reading Flesh and Fire by Laura Anne Gilman and its about wine based sourcery. Kinda interesting so far.
MoiraofWords
MoiraofWords
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BarnyardLovin Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:19 am

I just finished reading The Cole Protocol by Tobias S. Buckell. First halo novel I`ve ever read and it was actually pretty decent. Now its on to Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.

My dad raves about the Discworld series. I`ll probably start reading it soon.
BarnyardLovin
BarnyardLovin
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mydnyte Syn Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:17 pm

I am reading Stephen King's Under the Dome
Mydnyte Syn
Mydnyte Syn
Mist
Mist

Female

http://www.crimsonsprite.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BarnyardLovin Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:23 am

How is that book anyway?
BarnyardLovin
BarnyardLovin
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragter the junior greeter Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:22 pm

Right now I am reading Anne Rice's 'Interview with the Vampire' because I saw the movie on TV and was a bit interested in how the two are different.

Turns out, they're quite a bit different.
Ghost
Ghost

Male

http://www.google.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:45 am

I'm reading a LIFE magazing called: "2000-2009: The Decade That Change The World." Just thought it would be interesting to see everything put together in a single little magazine. I was a bit young still when the decade started, so refreshing the events at the beginning seems a smart thing to do...

Back to top Go down

Post by Cosmic Wavelength Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:24 pm

I finished reading Thirst No. 1 by Chistopher Pike not to long ago.
Cosmic Wavelength
Cosmic Wavelength
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ImmortalSin Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:54 am

I finished reading Skinned by Robin Wasserman yesterday, in preparation for the second book in the trilogy Crashed. I've powered through over half of it today and it's been pretty good so far. Fingers crossed the rest of it is as good.
ImmortalSin
ImmortalSin
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackrock Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:31 am

Hmmm, interesting thread, very interesting Smile

Currently, I'm reading a series of novels by A. and B. Strugatsky - Prisoners of Power (The Inhabited Island), Beetle in the Anthill, The Waves Extinguish the Wind. They are all very deep and philosophical, delving into different problems of human society. It's startling how relevant they still are today, considering how long ago they were written (the first one was published in 1969). Overall, eastern sci-fi, no - literature as a whole, at its best.

Also, I wholeheartedly recommend Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber (The Great Book of Amber is just all ten books combined into one). They are all very good books, with intriguing characters and an interesting plot. His writing style is also very engaging, probably one my favourite. Two thumbs up from me.
Blackrock
Blackrock
Apparition
Apparition

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:35 pm

I actually started The Great Book of Amber a couple of days ago. It's a busy time of year, so I'm at least ensuring that I read one full chapter each day. I'm sure I'll get a lot more reading done while I'm flying and while I'm at the airport and such. It's really... interesting so far. I had kind of expected it to be immediately set in a fantasy world, but it's set in a modern world at the moment. I'm kind of wondering if it won't be a sort of Narnia type thing where people travel between two worlds... or maybe the main character and his siblings are from Amber and they traveled to this world...

Guess I won't know unless I keep reading. ^^_^^

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:03 pm

What is this Great Book of Amber?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:35 pm

The Great Book of Amber by Roger Zelazny is one book that contains all ten books of the Amber Chronicles. Beyond what I've said about the story itself ((at least the first book which is called Nine Princes in Amber)) I really have no idea what else it's about. I know it's part of the fantasy genre. ^^_^^

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by MoiraofWords Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:02 pm

I recently read a compilation of some of Zelzany's works recently... some were good, whereas some I felt weren't as such. But that is opinion of course.

Currently I'm reading Fool Moon ^^, but I should be done with it within a day. And then onto the third ^^
MoiraofWords
MoiraofWords
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next