FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Challenges (and rewards) of Time Travel

4 posters

Go down

The Challenges (and rewards) of Time Travel  Empty The Challenges (and rewards) of Time Travel

Post by Artorius Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:31 pm

So, lately, I've been thinking about the intricacies and complications of time travel. I always find myself thinking of an alternate universe theory. However, I was wondering if there is a way to incorporate such a mechanic when there's a single time-line?

Besides that question, I wanted to know your guys thoughts on time travel. I'd also like to know how you guys have used it, or what you guys think about it.
Artorius
Artorius
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

The Challenges (and rewards) of Time Travel  Empty Re: The Challenges (and rewards) of Time Travel

Post by Chainlinc3 Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:36 am

Well, from the perspective of multi-dimensional analysis (this is, of course, assuming that time can function as a dimension-- I suspect this is true, but I don't think we have the technology to verify it), it's impossible to have a single time-line, so I can't really answer your question from my personal viewpoint. That being said, though, if there's a single time line, I don't really understand how any other series of events could happen-- it kinda undermines the whole deal with SINGLE TIME LINE. >.>

Thoughts on time travel are rather limited. It's a concept, cool to an extent, good for a day dream now and again, but I don't think on it too much (unless I'm REALLY bored). And I seriously hope that nobody here has ever used time travel, because I might have to reconsider my world view if they have.
Chainlinc3
Chainlinc3
Apparition
Apparition

Male

Back to top Go down

The Challenges (and rewards) of Time Travel  Empty Re: The Challenges (and rewards) of Time Travel

Post by Artorius Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:43 pm

haha Maybe I should rephrase that to be more correct. Have any of you ever used time travel in your roleplaying or writing experiences?
Artorius
Artorius
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:31 pm

I have thought about, and read about, time travel quite extensively. I suppose I am on the fence about whether such a thing is really possible... but I still find it a great idea, particularly when it comes to writing. Time travel opens up so many possibilities with a story that at times it is really hard to ignore when it just doesn't fit.

What I like to use it for is opening up areas of a story that I otherwise would be unable to visit. Sending a character into the future, or into the past, gives a view that you would otherwise be unable to share. It also has a great emotional impact, and I am always inspired by 3000: The Final Odyssey.

I do plan on using it in one of the stories I am writing, but I am unsure as of yet exactly how it will come into play. I have not used it in a role-play though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Artorius Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:52 pm

Silvone Elestahr wrote:I have thought about, and read about, time travel quite extensively. I suppose I am on the fence about whether such a thing is really possible... but I still find it a great idea, particularly when it comes to writing. Time travel opens up so many possibilities with a story that at times it is really hard to ignore when it just doesn't fit.

What I like to use it for is opening up areas of a story that I otherwise would be unable to visit. Sending a character into the future, or into the past, gives a view that you would otherwise be unable to share. It also has a great emotional impact, and I am always inspired by 3000: The Final Odyssey.

I do plan on using it in one of the stories I am writing, but I am unsure as of yet exactly how it will come into play. I have not used it in a role-play though.

Interesting, thanks Silvone! I'll have to check out that movie you noted. As for using it in a roleplay, I never have either. I think it'd be an interesting mechanic though! Like you said it might allow visitation to unique places.
Artorius
Artorius
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:54 pm

Oh, it is not a movie. It is a book, by Arthur C. Clark. It is the fourth and final book in a series. And while it is not time travel... it does offer the same context for the main character.

Back to top Go down

Post by Artorius Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:02 pm

Silvone Elestahr wrote:Oh, it is not a movie. It is a book, by Arthur C. Clark. It is the fourth and final book in a series. And while it is not time travel... it does offer the same context for the main character.

Excuse my ignorance. I haven't had much time lately to read anything else but textbooks. Damned AP summer homework! Maybe I'll pick it up sometime though. The title just sounded so Hollywood. haha

Anyways, one thing about time travel that always threw me off was I would think about paradoxes, or endless loops.
Artorius
Artorius
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:49 pm

that's because 2001: Space Odyssey was a movie Wink
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Artorius Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:54 pm

Ryona Noel wrote:that's because 2001: Space Odyssey was a movie Wink

And that would probably account for my mistake haha I knew it sounded familiar. I was only off by almost ten centuries. Thats pretty close... right?
Artorius
Artorius
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:07 pm

They are from the same series so I would say mightly close indeed!

Though I love time travel, I'm a stickler for details, and I always get stuck imagining all the things that would change if one detail were changed. I also have trouble thinking about the fact that it would be nigh impossible to communicate with someone in the past due to language variation. I guess I am too nitpicky to tap into this amazing idea Smile
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:39 pm

Single-timeline is my favorite kind of time-travel story. Very Happy
You're always finding out OHHHH so it was actually HIMSELF that gave him the thing that affected the whole course of his life and that's why etc. etc. xD

In single-timeline stories, you would never be able to kill yourself before making the time machine, because you would already have tried and failed because you're there having used the time machine. xD Just like you wouldn't be able to go back and kill your parents so they would never have you because they did have you because you're in the time machine after them having had you.

But you remember this one time when someone threw a rock at your head and you had no idea who did your whole life, and then when it comes time after you go back to that spot and realize it was YOU, of course you throw the rock because you're the kind of person who would have thrown the rock after realizing it was you, because otherwise you wouldn't have the memory of the event.

So while change-the-future time-travel stories like in the movies Frequency or The Lake House are also quite enjoyable for me, the single-timeline ones, like in Harry Potter, The Time Traveler's Wife and Kate & Leopold, I like better. ^_^
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:46 pm

I imagine time like a stream of bubbles. Every moment in time creates its own bubble, and every decision made (and decision, mental or physical, are made every second of every day) leads to new bubbles. Yet every decision possible is made, but each decision from a single bubble branches off into a new stream of bubbles.

For example: tonight I may choose to write a post for Celebrant. If I do, my timeline of bubbles continues from that point. However, if I time travel backwards and change that decision, I will then be traveling down a different stream of bubbles. If I time travel even farther back and kill my parents, I will then exist in that stream of bubbles in which I did not ever exist. This, in my opinion, solves the issue of destroying yourself before you are even created (and thus not being to do what you have just done).

How to jump back and forth between streams, or how to even aim and know where you are going, is something I haven't yet figured out (figuratively speaking, you know). And since I don't believe that time exists, perhaps it is as easy as driving down a street and choosing where to turn. Maybe all of our decisions have already happened, all have been laid down at our feet, and we are simply experiencing it in an observing sort of way.

Perhaps no one will understand any of that... if you do, then kudos Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artorius Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:09 pm

Interesting theory silvone! It makes perfect sense to me at least, because its similar to the way I think time is structured, or has the possibility of being structured.
Artorius
Artorius
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down