FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TEOTWAWKI: Bug Out - Interest Check

4 posters

Go down

TEOTWAWKI: Bug Out - Interest Check Empty TEOTWAWKI: Bug Out - Interest Check

Post by Stion Gyas Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:39 pm

TEOTWAWKI = The End of the World as We Know It.

In light of recent events, as well as events during this decade, I've really taken a look at large-scale disasters. Just from a few quick searches, I found a little more than a dozen truly large natural disasters took place between 2000 and 2011. By large scale, I mean events that effect countries as a whole in a notable way. Clearly, large disasters happen more often than we like to think.

One research lead to another, and I began looking into how others prepare for events on that scale. At first, the scale people prepared at seemed silly to me, until I really thought. With a little forethought, you can become self-sustaining for long enough for help to arrive or to find help for yourself. My own bug out bag is well on its way now.

After a little thought, I decided it would be interesting to role-play characters living through such events. The game will be what we make of it, like Minecraft, and some of the circumstances might be a little over the top, but I promise, there will be no zombies. MacGyver-ing our way through situations we create, and helping our characters survive in a world where the shit hit the fan would not only be fun, but also a learning experience.

I have some basic information jotted down, but here's the gist of it, for now: Survival role-play based in a fictional modern day city in which our characters struggle to survive a disaster, and its aftershocks.

More details are basically up to us, as a writing group. I'll wait for two or so people to post interest before putting up an OOC. Feel free to add other questions and suggestions here.
Stion Gyas
Stion Gyas
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

TEOTWAWKI: Bug Out - Interest Check Empty Re: TEOTWAWKI: Bug Out - Interest Check

Post by Chainlinc3 Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:19 pm

Stion Gyas wrote:like Minecraft

You had me from there. But, unfortunately, I'm not entirely with the believing that an RP can be made anything like Minecraft, so, I'm not ready to commit quite yet. There's just too much interactivity in Minecraft-- and too many dull chores-- for me to feel like it could be a valid inspiration for a style of RP. Still, it sounds fun enough, if you can make it work.
Chainlinc3
Chainlinc3
Apparition
Apparition

Male

Back to top Go down

TEOTWAWKI: Bug Out - Interest Check Empty Re: TEOTWAWKI: Bug Out - Interest Check

Post by Stion Gyas Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:50 pm

I was using Minecraft more as a reference to the level of freedom involved, it's not the inspiration behind the role-play. Razz From my experience, role-plays can be divided into two "types." In one, all of the players have control over the plot, and the setting. In the other, the person who starts the role-play creates the setting, and provides the plot. (A big generalization, and just from my experience.) The former almost always runs better.

For a good example of this (and as a shameless plug), check out Sephiris: The Price of Peace. Kalon and Zephiris basically provided a setting at its broadest, and a motivation. We players, including Kalon, are literally building the world and creating the plot as we go. It's more gratifying for me, as a player, to have as much influence on the world as I have beyond just the character, and other than one leave of absence I've stuck with it since nearly the beginning.

Anyway, enough about that. In short, the setting and the situations will be hugely driven by us, just like what you do in Minecraft is entirely up to you. (I spend more time mining than building, in all honesty.)
Stion Gyas
Stion Gyas
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Airedar Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:31 am

I'm very, very, interested. Though I've always been more of the 'Use what you find, and if it comes down to it, steal someone else's stuff' theory of apocalypse survival.
Airedar
Airedar
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Stion Gyas Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:52 pm

Thanks for the interest. I'm more interested in prepping, but then, I'd rather keep contact with strangers to a bare minimum if something does happen.

Anyway, it might be a little while before we start an OOC, let alone the actual game. I'm looking for a couple of players more, so keep checking in here. When I start the OOC I'll send everyone a PM with a heads up.
Stion Gyas
Stion Gyas
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Airedar Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:16 pm

To each their own. Most people's morals are not so shaky as my own, so I can understand where you're coming from.
Airedar
Airedar
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BehindTheMask Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:07 am

I find it quite interesting how the number of natural disasters has seemed to increase in recent years, especially with the whole "world ending" idea and whatnot, too. I believe this is a good idea and would be interested. I have to say, though, that I feel there would be more success if there is some sort of goal or something that the characters are working toward. Is surviving the disaster idea of yours this whole conflict thing that needs to be overcome? Or does this start off just after that disaster? I guess I just need the plot to be a little more clearly defined. But I do like this idea.
BehindTheMask
BehindTheMask
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Stion Gyas Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:14 pm

Thanks for the interest!

I was planning on starting just before the disaster, and working from there. As for the plot, I only planned on providing the conflict here, and we interested folks can discuss something a little meatier. I like collaborating on these kinds of things.
Stion Gyas
Stion Gyas
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down