FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Raine's Doodles

2 posters

Go down

Raine's Doodles Empty Raine's Doodles

Post by xraineyesx Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:11 pm

Since everyone else of FOG seems to be a bit of an artist, I wanted to share too! I'm not nearly as good as most of you and I am more of a doodler, but here's a few of my doodles and whatever I happen to make.

I work almost strictly in pencil/pen, but sometimes I play with water colors, charcoals and pastels.

Anyway, enjoy. Be nice. (But you can tell me I suck ha.)

Raine's Doodles Ghosti12

Ghostie girl that I drew around last Halloween.

xraineyesx
xraineyesx
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Raine's Doodles Empty Re: Raine's Doodles

Post by Kalon Ordona II Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:34 am

Oooh, very creative! Very Happy
I have found that doodling is a great way to increase creativity. Nod You just go at it, and stuff comes out.

Great concept! I'm actually not picturing it as a ghost but as a solid creature that floats. It could totally be a fantasy race. Nod

I can see it now.... *whimsical*
My brain's on the job. I wonder where it'll stop...
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by xraineyesx Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:12 am

It's kind of pixel-y or something from the scanner, like it didn't pick up on the finer details, but I don't know how to make anything look better with a computer. No computer art at all for me.

And thanks so much. Very Happy I'm glad you like it. And I'm glad it inspired you.

Oh yes? Share more about this fantasy race you're thinking about, sir!

xraineyesx
xraineyesx
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:37 am

Alright, well, because of your picture, I have all these images in my head of unique architecture and societies full of these guys--and their similar animal pets.

It could just as easily be a new planet as a race in a fantasy world.

They're human-ish, in my head, just with no legs and they float. They probably can't actually fly, but they can float a little higher if they put in some effort, and if they employ ramps or little rods spiraling or climbing up, they can quickly and effortlessly get as high as they like. I'm thinking treehouses and accessible towers would be common in their lifestyle.

If they build castles, they'd be upside-down-conical-shaped fortresses. Anything pyramid-like would be accessible to invaders. The walls have to slope inward as they go down.

Of course, siege towers would be lightweight and easy to construct. It wouldn't need to be too sturdy, because it doesn't need to hold weight--just provide a surface for them to float over. The downside to flimsy construction, of course, is that it won't stand up to weapon fire, so there'd have to be sturdier versions.

On the subject of war and combat, archery would be hugely common, as well as lances and flail weapons. Combat would involve a lot of momentum; duels would hinge on speed and control, weighed against weapon positioning and ability to dodge.

The dog-like creatures would have more mobility, since they can use their forelegs to change course quicker.

Lifts and pulley systems for elevators would be easily invented, since you don't need anything substantial--just a little platform to float over.

They'd probably be AWESOME swimmers. Their floating feature would mean they don't even need to move much to swim, but it would also mean (A) they're always in motion and (B) always at a constant speed. If they want to go faster, they'd have to wriggle like a fish. If they want to go slower, they'd have to spread their arms or bring, like, an umbrella. xD

Of course, they can just float over the water, but there's probably fish and treasure and things under the water that they might want, and swimming itself is probably fun, too.

If I were to call this race something......... I don't know. Maybe the best thing would be to leave that to Raine, or collaborate. xD
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:47 am

Like in your picture, I see their tails curling forward. They move mainly by leaning forward a bit, but they can also uncurl their tail to give themselves a burst of speed. Rapid uncurling and curling of the tail would be equivalent to running, and would enable them to lean far forward to gain significant speed without faceplanting against the ground.

That's what happens if they lean too far; they fall over. I know that sounds obvious, but there you go. ^^

Anyway, I guess there'd be something in the bottom of their tails that causes the floating phenomenon. some sort of telekinesis-like effect relegated to an organ probably located where their knees would be if they were human.

Which brings me to reproduction. I guess it'd have to be something like dolphins. Heh, solved that one easy. xD

This floaty organ thing above the tail makes me think whatever causes the floatation might be something in their system that can be used for other things. If it's some energy in their blood or other passageways, for example, it could probably power a telekinetic Jedi-like magic system.
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by xraineyesx Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:06 am

Oh I love it! That was so in-depth, it's crazy you got all that out of one little drawing I made! Very Happy

I don't know what to name them xD I"m terrible with names. We'll have to think some more about it, I think.

But really, that's a great idea. I'm totally gonna find a way to play those sometime. Maybe make a whole rp centered around them, what do you think? Razz
xraineyesx
xraineyesx
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:20 pm

See? My brain just goes. I think I'm better at world-building and starting projects than I am at actually writing it all out in a story. Sad Hopefully NaNo'll help fix that. Wink

As for the name, when I'm naming stuff I usually start with a first letter that feels right. We could use a Gh, for example, but that might feel too ghosty. M? meh... D... not feelin' it... R? maybe... N... promising... T? eh... U... mmmmnah... F, perhaps... S you'd think so, but probably not... I'm thinking N's a good place to start.

So! N. Now, pick a vowel. ^^
A E I O U... and sometimes Y... what feels best....
ah aww, eh eih ee uh, ih ee, aw oh, uh oo, ee eye ih....
Hm, maybe a second consonant would be better.
N and... maybe R and S; those are generally safe.
Unless something comes to you. May just "Noh."
The Noh, Nohrian... Nohi.... Nohir, Nohic, hmmmm.
Maybe, maybe not. File under possible. Back to letters.

One technique is find words that you think of that relate to them, and pick letters and sounds from that.
Like... tail, float, hover, swim, ghost, sea-horse, somber...
Maybe Quan. That came to me just now, just randomly.

Another way to find ideas for names is to look up related topics.
Like floating or hovering. Maybe synonyms for 'hover.'
be suspended, brood over, flit, flitter, flutter, fly, hang about, linger, poise, wait nearby.
Suspend, brood, poise.

I've noticed that ending races in 'an' makes things easy, since "human" ends in 'an' and can be used as both a noun and an adjective.

We could always name them after your 'ghost doodle.' xD
Ghos

Shocked
Heyyyy, not bad. I was going to type something silly, but stopping at the 's' makes it awesome! Very Happy
Althought, Ghos sounds more like an individual name than a race name, to me. :/

Hey, maybe they're Ghoti. xD
No, wait, they're Ghotians. Yeeeah! xD That has everything in it! Ghost, fish, float, ocean, notion, and PLUS it actually makes ghoti make sense, since that's how you get "sh" out of "ti." xD Also, if "ghoti" is "fish," then "ghotian" might literally mean "fish thing." But ghoti also looks like ghost. So it's like perfect. It's like legitimizing ghoti! xD

Alright, so what we have so far...
Noh, Quan, Ghos, and Ghotian. Smile
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by xraineyesx Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:40 am

Well, Noh is actually a Japanese cultural thing, some kind of theatre or something. I'm not entirely certain what it is, but I know for a fact it's Japanese something or another lol. (My Japanese is bad; could have something to do with dropping the class... *sheepish smile*)

Anyway, I'm leaning towards the last one, Ghotian. Are you pronouncing that go-shyun? Or with like a harsher 'goat' ish sound there?
xraineyesx
xraineyesx
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:32 am

Yeah, go-shyun; rhymes with ocean. ^^
Cool! xD
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II