FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Music Reviews

Go down

Music Reviews Empty Music Reviews

Post by xraineyesx Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:42 pm

Music Reviews
1. The Clash - page 1, post 1

-----------------------------------------------------------

Dear Everyone!

So I figured that as long as we had a thread for reviewing movies that we should have one for reviewing music too, and that includes bands, artists, albums, songs, soundtracks, etc. Anything that's music-related can be reviewed.

I don't know how many of you have ever written reviews but they are great practice for non-fiction article writing. I learned how to do them while working on the school newspaper and they were my favorite thing to write. Of course, we reviewed everything from music to movies to books to tv shows to websites, anything we could think of. And so, I figured that with all of the music geeks around here and writers combined that it would be a good idea to have a music review thread.

I'll keep a list of the reviews at the top, so if it gets to be a long thread, people can only read reviews in which they are interested.

I just wanted to have a more in-depth discussion of music than what happens in the 'what are you listening to thread', which is wonderful and I frequent it, but I didn't see any other threads for reviewing music. So hopefully I'm not repeating anything or rehashing old news.

Well, here we go...

Some Suggestions for What to Include in Your Review
1. The band's history
2. Members
3. Discography
4. Genre
5. Influences
6. Song recommendations
7. Tour dates (if available)

Last edited by xraineyesx on Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
xraineyesx
xraineyesx
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Music Reviews Empty THE CLASH

Post by xraineyesx Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:46 pm

THE CLASH

These days all one hears on the radio is repetitive pop music, rap, and r'n'b, all of which is churned out daily with the same grating sound and whiny vocals on the same subjects over and over again. But if one take's a peek into the past of pop culture, they will discover The Clash. A group from the mid-70's and 80's, The Clash is a punk band that formed in Britain and rocked out not only there but in America as well.

There are several simple reasons that this genre can be enjoyable.. The lyrics are straightforward; there is no searching form any hidden, deep music. They say what they mean, and that is all there is to it. The songs are typically around two minutes long, which is a bonus for those rockers who have to change the song after a minute or two if it isn't already over. And, despite the fact that punk singers generally sound like they smoke a carton every day, the music just sounds good.

Many of you will know The Clash (evenif you didn't know it was them) from such classics as “I Fought The Law”, which is actually a cover, contrary to popular belief, or “Should I Stay or Should I Go”, especially if those of you out there who are Rockband players. These are, in fact, great songs with a typical punk sound to them, which consists of the repetition of a few choice guitar chord, a speedy drum beat, and an emphasis on the bass line. But these classics don't even being to cover the depth of rockin' music that The Clash produced on their six albums, which consist of (in order of earliest to most recent): The Clash (1977), Give 'Em Enough Rope (1978), London Calling (1979), Sandinista! (1980), Combat Rock (1982), and Cut The Crap (1985). The most well-known of their albums is, by far, London Calling.

The Clash consisted of Joe Strummer (also known as John Graham Mellor; lead vocals, rhythm guitarist), Mick Jones (lead guitar, vocals), Paul Simonon (bass, vocals, occasional lead vocals), and Nicky “Topper Headon (percussionist). They were considered a very experimental group as they dabbled in many genres, including reggae, ska, dub, funk, rap, dance and rockabilly, among others. Beginning in 1976, the band recorded six albums over their career with first Headon's and then Jones' departures in '82 and '83, respectively. The Clash continued with new members until they disbanded in 1986.

I personally would recommend the songs: "Rock the Casbah", "Death or Glory", "White Riot", "The Guns of Brixton", "Rudie Can't Fail", "Lover's Rock", and "Wrong 'Em Boyo". But don't get me wrong; I don't think The Clash made bad music.

The Clash is for anyone and everyone who enjoys music. A word of caution, though: it is true that punk rockers tend to not care what kind of foul languages comes out of their mouths, which might offend some people. Other than that, however, anyone who wants a new – er, old – sound should look up The Clash.

Unfortunately, you will never be able to see The Clash in concert, due to their disbanding and to the fact that a man who contributed so much to music, Joe Strummer, died a few years ago.
xraineyesx
xraineyesx
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down