FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Emoria: Valinyx

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Emoria: Valinyx - Page 2 Empty Re: Emoria: Valinyx

Post by Gabe Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:55 am

Emoria: Valinyx - Page 2 Emoriaiconnilus

Northwest Idona Territory-Campsite

Nilus found a small amount of respect for Annikhol after hearing her answer to Naomi's question.

"That is something you share with Ayren leaders, Miss Gelere. I couldn't imagine myself as a captain without leading by example. A main factor in Ayren unit cohesion is that each soldier knows his captain wouldn't assign a task he isn't willing to do himself."

"Or herself." Naomi interjected with a smile. "Our people treat men and women equally, no matter what."

The three continued their conversation around the small fire for another hour before retiring for the night. Even though they were still in friendly territory, Nilus stood guard for the first two hours after the fire was out. He thought about the small contingent following them, and hoped that his signals would be accurate enough once they left familiar lands.

Once the campsite was packed up again, Nilus settled into his hammock and lazily stared towards the sky. The girls were fast asleep, or at least Naomi was. She could be heard gently snoring among the whispering of the trees and the song of the insects. Things were much quieter in these outer lands, and Nilus preferred it to the dry winds of Idona's arid heartland, or the constant bustle of her capital city. A few moments later, he was asleep.

3 days later

Idona borderlands-Morning

The climate was starting to change again as the three made their way North. The winds were more predictable, and traces of clouds could be seen on the mountainous horizon bordering Arbia.

Nilus signaled for the others to stop. He hadn't taken the time the night before to clean the horses' shoes, and he could tell that his was getting fatigued more quickly by it.

"We'll ease our pace today. No sense in getting in too great of a hurry." he said as the girls slowed to a halt. Nilus removed the tack from his horse before gently removing the bits that had collected from the previous day's travel.

Annikhol seemed relieved that they were taking a break. She stretched her legs and doffed the gear from her horse. She didn't let her fatigue show as she fetched a flask of water from a saddle bag. Naomi approached her with a grin, the cause of which she couldn't yet understand. She produced a sliver of browned meat from a neatly folded parchment and offered some to Annikhol.

"Would you like some?" she asked, her words laced with generosity. "I hadn't noticed before, but you only seem to eat when we've stopped for the night. I don't mean to encroach, but traveling like this is hard on the body, and Nilus said it's healthy to eat a lot when on the road."

Not wanting to be openly rude to her new companion, Annikhol took a small bite of the 'horse jerky'. Her first reaction was to spit the foul tasting snack on the ground, but she feigned appreciation and thanked Naomi for the offering.

"It's certainly...different from what I am used to." was all she could think to say. Her thoughts about barbarism resurfaced for a moment, but the fact that the unusual food was offered in hospitality quickly dismissed them.

"I could show you how to make it, it's really simple." came Naomi's reply, but Annikhol simply raised a hand in declination before washing away the unusual taste with a drink of water.

Once the cultural exchange was done, and Nilus had finished tending to the horses, the three continued on their journey to Valinyx.

"Annikhol, if you would be so kind," Nilus started. Naomi was in the lead again, out of earshot. "Naomi's mind is not unlike a sponge. As her mentor I would be grateful if you could share with us some of the finer details of your people. I feel a certain amount of familiarity with you as an individual, but Naomi craves knowledge like few I've ever seen. When we stop for the night, perhaps you could broaden both of our understandings?"

Nilus made the statements seem as innocent as possible. It wasn't a lie that Naomi wished to know more about Valinyx, but her interest was different than Nilus'. The more he knew now, the better prepared he would be if relations with his contractors went sour. It wasn't as much of paranoia or fear of the unknown, but a professional preparedness that he had learned to assemble when working outside of familiar areas.
Gabe
Gabe
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:52 pm

Emoria: Valinyx - Page 2 Emoriaiconalys

Alys jaw nearly dropped. No one - NO ONE! – spoke to her in such a poor manner. This man, this Sage Lord had brushed her off like a beggar and ordered her like a servant. If he was to represent their entire people, he was a piss poor choice. He carried himself like a king, but though she knew little of the Sage, he had mentioned himself a Master Keverious, so she knew that he was not the leader of these people, and not even the top of the chain here. What could the Sage have been thinking, appointing him? Lord Imatari had been far more suitable to her cause.

“Lord Renkar!” She called out shrilly, annoyed that her voice lost its commanding tone the louder she tried to become. She trailed after him, as he failed to turn around. “Lord Renkar,” she said again in a more calm manner. “I should like to go over them now. If you are too busy, I will ask this Master Keverious instead.” One thing she knew, it didn’t matter what culture of people one was dealing with; if responsibilities were delegated, and the person failed in their responsibility, punishment would be at hand. She would not let this pompous Sage best her!

Annikhol opened her mouth to respond, but she didn’t quite know what to say. What would Naomi benefit from anything Annikhol knew? Her initial reaction was to clam up and say nothing. She was unused to divulging information, no matter how innocent. Perhaps it was her training as a courier, or just how she was used to keeping secrets, sometimes her own, sometimes not. It was definitely something she struggled with.

However, she found that though it was an uncomfortable thing for her, she wanted to do it. Was it Naomi’s innocence? Was it the way Nilus leaned in toward her, when he asked her? Losing her train of thought, she responded, “Of course. I’ll think on what to tell her until we stop again.” Though she was supposed to be thinking on what to tell Naomi, she found herself wondering about small changes she was noticing about herself.

When they stopped again, Annikhol had very little prepared. “Naomi, have you ever been to Valinyx?”

The woman shook her head in the negative.

“Ah…Our center is the Vallar Cathedral, the home of our Vallar Order. The High priestess resides there. I hope Alys contract allows you to see it. It rests on a hill, near the coast, backed by endless mountain ranges and lush valleys…it is home there.

Of course, in the south there are no forests, no rivers - nothing but endless empty snowfields. The earth there is scarred. A massive canyon was carved into the rock, the result of a quarrel between the gods Ordis and Vallar, some say. The people there are hurting very badly, I hear. A rebellion has been born there. I know not what your job is, but I don't doubt if Ordis leads you there."

“What is Ordis?” Nilus chipped in.

"Ordis is Vallar’s supportive brother. He is the strength that backs up Vallar’s infinite wisdom. He is the deliverer, or the punisher.”

“So he is the evil god?” Naomi asked.

Annikhol coughed on her water. “Evil? No. There is no good, no evil. Every being serves a purpose, no matter how malevolent or wicked you believe that being may be. Followers of Vallar may not agree with the tactics of Ordis, but that does not make them evil.”

“Tactics of Ordis? What do you mean?” Nilus leaned in again, and Annikhol found herself eager to continue.

“Some of us are granted with the mark of Vallar. Alys is one of these. In fact, she is the most revered in the Ordis Sect, and defers only to the High Priestess herself. This mark is a star, and if you have it, you are part of the Order. It matters not who you are or what you are. You could be a priestess, a farmer, a courier..." She paused. "This mark does not denote rank, only that you have the power. This power, it allows you to create a miracle at a cost. Those of Vallar use personal strength to fuel their miracles. As you can imagine, there are severe limits to these miracles, and the strongest result in the death of the wielder."

"Ordis, though, sacrifice others for their miracles. It can be animals, condemned criminals…there have been situations where innocent people were sacrified. But the miracle wrought from it…well, sacrificing two could save thousands! By allowing oneself to transfer the cost to someone else, the miracle becomes many times more powerful than if one was to do it alone. This has been used for good things, and bad…but so does any power. Not unlike yourself, mercenaries.”
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gabe Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:24 pm

Arbia borderlands-

Hearing about the abilities of the chosen Valinyx people brought Nilus some mild discomfort. While it seemed like a more natural magic, not too far removed from traditional Drenata shamanism, the idea of living sacrifice didn't sit well with him. Annikhol's last comment about being used for right and wrong, much like mercenaries struck a sour note with his attitude. He addressed it later that night around the campfire.

"Miss Gelere, I hope you understand that contracts are our means of survival as a people. Each Ayren has a different perspective of 'right' and 'wrong', just as any other person would. It's just the nature of our work. For example, I would wager that this particular contract is the right thing to do from the perspective of your employer. However, those I am acting against see me as the enemy, and I have no regrets about their feelings. If the situation were to be reversed, how would you and your employer feel about me?"

"Well...I..." Annikhol started. "I would consider you to be the enemy I suppose."

"But am I being used improperly?" Nilus said with a small amount of sternness in his voice. "Under contract, we choose to be treated more like a tool than an organization. I have killed women and children under contract. I have killed unarmed men, burned the last food rations of a starving village, and defiled things held sacred to my enemies. I wouldn't like to do it again, but survival is all we can do sometimes. Emoria has always been a turbulent place, and outside help is needed from time to time. Spire recognized this, and so did we. The difference is that we have very little discrimination in our contracts."

Naomi across the fire from Nilus, her arms wrapped around her bent knees. She said nothing as Nilus described what he had done in his mercenary contracts, she only felt lucky that she had yet to be in such a situation.

"I am sorry." Annikhol said. She paused for a moment to gather her thoughts before continuing. "Your people have a frightening amount of commitment to your work, but I can understand the necessity if your survival is at stake."

Nilus' mood lightened a little. "As am I, Annikhol. I know the difference between right and wrong, but I hold the survival of myself, my troops, and thanks to our king, my country above either. My recent attendance to a council in Nowle Osto dampened my hopes for adding all of Emoria to that list, but I am still somewhat optimistic. Naomi has helped me keep this idea alive."

"But they vilified some of the countries present, and we still have old wounds with Traemador." Naomi interrupted. "Our culture exists because Emoria isn't unified. What use are we without war?"

Nilus was completely blindsided by the last comment. He wasn't sure whether he should have been offended or not. Even Annikhol gave the young Ayren an inquisitive look.

"Nilus, a unified world doesn't need people who would kill even their own for survival. If the united Emoria you wanted to see at the council can ever exist, Ayrens can't be part of it. We thrive on the need for violence and discord."

Nilus didn't have a reply. He knew that his ambitions had been idealistic rather than realistic, but surely Naomi didn't think that cultural suicide was the only answer. There was silence between them for the remainder of the night.

Last edited by Gabe on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Gabe
Gabe
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:00 pm

Emoria: Valinyx - Page 2 Emoriaiconalys
Renkar Evestan pursed his lips. Alys could see the frustration behind his eyes and he tried to calculate how best to be rid of her without it backfiring on himself. Alys smiled sweetly as she saw the realization come to him that she was not to be brushed off so easily.

“Very well. Let us discuss. I will have to locate the maps I was given –“

“No need, Lord Renkar. I have my own. Please follow me back to the cathedral.” She hailed a carriage, and then stared and Renkar until he, redfaced and tightlipped, opened the carriage door. “So kind of you.”

After a silent ride back to the cathedral, Alys led Renkar to her office, and unrolled her copy of the map of Valinyx.

“We have rebellion all to the south, here.” She pointed. “We cannot even get food and water to those who sympathize with the north because of a string of pitch forked barbarians. Our High Priestess refuses offensive maneuvers, but we don’t have the resources to provide what it is that the south wants.”

“What do they want, Lady Alys?” Renkar interjected.

She stared at him a moment. “Why, to have what we have, of course. The southland is pathetic.”

“Why don’t they move on?” He asked.

Alys laughed. “Move where? Arbia won’t let them in. The land between here and Spire is too cold to survive in. They don’t want to go live like wild elves. And they can’t come here.”

“Why not?”

“They tried. There is no room up here for farms and mills. And no jobs for farmers and millers.”

“So, where do we come in?” Renkar bent and focused on the map.

“We need an outside force to deal with our people. Give them a bit of shock factor. See what happens when the Cathedral isn’t there to protect them. Be a demonstration of the product we are purchasing from you.”

“Many times we’ve come across the oceans to trade, and we’ve never traded weapons with your people. Is the rebellion that horrific, that you’d result to warfare?”

“Lord Renkar, you have no idea.”

They paused for a moment, and then Alys went on. This was the part that she had to sell him on. If he was unconvinced and decided to go to the High Priestess about it, she could be in trouble.

“Now, I was unaware that I was to be leading this escapade. I must confess I have a great secret. I had made a promise to a dear friend of mine that I would ride out east and…” Alys let her lip quiver. “And help her cross into the north. We are like sisters, she and I. I know I am breaking my own rule but…I fear what would happen to her should she try to ride in alone.”

“What business is that of mine?” Lord Renkar barked.

“None, truly. It’s just that I need to get there. But I know I am supposed to ride out with you. If you demand my presence, I shall be there. If it is not a problem for you…I should ask your permission that I may ride east and help her.” Alys hoped she had played her cards right. She had been just the right dose of nuisance to annoy any hot headed man or woman. Now she was completely subservient and in his control. The cards were set. Would he see through her bluff?

“It’s no concern of mine what you do with your time. Ride east if you must.” Alys breathed a silent sigh of relief. Lord Renkar’s response was exactly what she wanted.

“Thank you, Lord Renkar. I will meet you south as soon as I am able.”

“Now, seeing as you are under my protection, I cannot send you alone. I’ll be sending a squad to accompany you on your journey and see you safe back under my supervision.” Lord Renkar smirked.

Alys tried not to show any emotion, but she knew that she had not fooled him. He played her right back. She felt a scream bubbling up inside of her. Instead, she said, “Most courteous of you, Lord Renkar. Thank you.”

Arbia Borderlands – Day 4

The heated discussion between she and the Aryens was enlightening and worrying. She knew that Alys was going to use Nilus for some dark deed. What, she did not know. She also knew that, as amazingly knowing that Nilus was, he was blinded to his own actions in some way. His sister, Naomi, proved it with her statement. His blindness was comforting to Annikhol. It was Naomi’s perceptions that were worrying her. Should Nilus follow his duties blindly, would Naomi as well? What would Alys do if she didn’t?

Another worry was Nilus being under Alys’ command. He was a warrior in its purest form. No brutality, no mistake, just cold calculation. It was as if he were a perfect sword for Alys to wield. But what business was it of hers anyway, and what could she do about it? All she had to do was keep her skeleton hidden in its closet. It was strange of her to even be thinking of these things.

"I apologize that we will be having to take the long way round. My Lady thought it safest if we meet in the east, and the south is not safe to travel through these days. We have a good while before we leave the comforts of Arbia, but I do hope that you agree that skirting Valinyx would be safest."
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectre Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:12 am

Dastan was furious. How could they do this to him? He was one of the best Templars that Suituria had to offer. Of all people, Renkar? Renkar??!! shot through his mind... He was of another prominent family of sages, opposite Dastan's family. The two families were in a feud constantly, and often even came to physical assault in public places. Much like street gangs, these two families were at the top, both trying to assert their dominance.

Dastan sat reminiscing about such things. He sat in a dark room provided by Valinyx, lit by only a few candles, fuming. The room was a nice size, like a small barracks with amenities. Laying about the beds were the other templar sages: Sion, Nariya, Kesta, and Sorze. Each one of them were on a separate cargo ship carrying weapons. They were junior to Dastan in Rank, but weren't weak by any means.

Sion, a young one with shaggy dirty blonde hair, specialized in swordsmanship. Nariya, the only female among them, thin and around the same age as Dastan, with blood red hair and bright cyan eyes. She carried a short-bow and sword. Kesta had short black hair, was deathly pale and was tall and thin, he fought with a metal spear. Sorze, the brutish looking mountain of a man with brown hair combed back, and a short 'chinstrap' facial hair, carried a large two-handed axe. All sat or laid on the beds relaxing, and no longer chatting idly as they were minutes before. Dastan sat at the long table in the room, cluttered with easy foodstuffs, staring into the flame of one candle in the middle of the table. On the table was still the map he had for the mission Alys gave, the yellowed light flickering and playing across it as the candle flame flicked.

As a teapot would boil to a scream, so did Dastan. He stood up in a whip, his chair scooting back and wobbling. He hurried for the door, slinging his long navy coat over his white, blue, and leather garb.

"Stay here: All of you." he said, clearly angered by something. Nariya, blood red hair tied up- shot up from her bed from laying on her side. She sounded like she wanted to say something, but sort of grunted. It was as if she couldn't find the words fast enough. She held a gloved hand out to him as if it would do something.

The door slammed shut, leaving the four templar sages inside, staring wide eyed at the door.
Spectre
Spectre
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:59 am

Alys walked back toward the cathedral, seething. This was one of the last moments she would have to herself...how was she going to get out of it? She imagined that Lord Renkar would send more than one person with her; likely more than one person with the powers of a sage. She'd need a miracle to rid herself of a team such as that. And for that, she'd need a sacrifice. She couldn't give enough of her own blood for that kind of power. Besides, she stopped giving her own blood years ago. Why should she, when there were plenty of people she could convince to give for sake of Ordis - and plenty more she could get someone else to convince?

No, killing them wouldn't be an option. She'd just have to convince them of her somehow. Lord Renkar was a lost cause, but perhaps the men he sent with her would be less...stubborn. More susceptible to her charms. If she were lucky, she wouldn't even need a miracle. She had to reserve that for later.

Marching up the road toward the cathedral, she heard a door slam just behind her. It surprised her, though she did a great job of not showing it. If one were watching carefully, they might have noticed her hands clench, her eyes blink once in surprise.

She turned around, and who would it be but the man Renkar had replaced - Dastan. He had not seen her as he walked out of the door and turned opposite of where she now stood. Who needs miracles, Alys thought with a smile, when there are minds that can be molded?

"Lord Imatari!", Alys bellowed, causing him to spin abruptly and face her.

Alys didn't bother walking any closer to Dastan. She had been pushed around enough by Renkar, and she was done budging. "Your absense does not suit me, Dastan. Your Lord Renkar requires a group of men to escort me into the west, before I meet with him again in the south. See to it you are on that team. It would be foolish to do anything otherwise."

Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gabe Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:12 pm

Southeastern Valinyx
The transition from Arbia's snow fields to Valinyx's was subtle. Hopefully the land to the east would be more hospitable. Avoiding these rebellions turned out to be a bigger problem than Nilus had planned on. With luck, the men following them would receive the message to head east instead of straight into the heart of the discontented farmers and millers. Skilled as they were, they wouldn't last long against an enemy as numerous, enraged, and unpredictable as Annikhol had described. The thought gave Nilus no small amount of stress.

Within his group, his recent discourse with Naomi and Annikhol had him distracted as well. Naomi seemed almost unknowable now that Nilus knew how she felt about Ayren culture. How long had she felt this way? Would it be right to allow her to abandon her upbringing and live the quiet life she desired? The questions far outnumbered the solid answers. Nilus loved his sister, but was unsure of what to do about her.

He snapped out of his thoughts when Annikhol approached him. "We're not far now. My employer wishes to meet with you outside of the capital city. With tensions as high as they are, I'm sure you understand why armed strangers would unsettle the public."

"Fine...yes....that's fine." Nilus weakly replied, still distracted. "I hope our meeting place is more temperate than this. As hardened as I am, I prefer warmth and comfort when I can find it, like any other person." As he spoke, he put his insecurities in the back of his mind. There was much to think about, but only after this contract was complete.

Valinyx outskirts - The meeting point

Nilus was happy to see that his hostess didn't deign to meet in the hostile lands in the south. With the snowy wasteland behind them, they made camp in a thin deciduous forest. It was still colder than what the Ayrens were used to, but the trees brought a sense of comfort and security. The place Annikhol chose was clearly already an established meeting place; the Ayren scout quickly noticed human made marks on the tree trunks where hammocks and tents had been anchored, and where the nearby brook had been redirected into a makeshift basin for bathing. The most obvious, however, was the simple tanning knife someone had clearly forgotten, still resting on a whet stone at the edge of the clearing.

This place was a small bit of paradise in comparison to the conditions the three had been dealing with over the last two weeks. The group wasted no time in setting up their camp.

As night fell on the camp, Annikhol tried to break the awkward silence between the Ayrens.

"We are a day early, and this place is quite safe. Perhaps now that we aren't traveling at such a grueling pace, we could exchange more about each other, as we were when we started our journey?"

"I see no harm in it," Nilus started "...and please, forgive my behavior these last few days. Sometimes I am too sure of myself, and don't fare well when I forget to treat Naomi as an equal rather than just a student."

Naomi, who had hardly spoken herself, opened up as well. "Once we're finished with our work here, I would love to see your capital city, if it's possible."

The idle conversation continued into the night, and the awkwardness and hostility seemed to fade.
Gabe
Gabe
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectre Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:34 pm

"My absence doesn't suit me either, Alys Rae." Her disdain didn't sound unlike his own.

"Renkar.." he muttered to himself. He then clicked to realization. This would be his opening. Renkar had long looked at Dastan's career and tried to debase him. It was likely that Renkar threw himself upon the council to step in on this mission.

"Escort you?" he raised his eyebrow. "How early are you looking to move? I could get you mobile as soon as you're ready." he spoke plainly, stepping toward Alys. "Renkar is a narcissistic goat. It would do me great pleasure to take this upon myself." he smirked, his coat no longer hiding his face. It was odd, his visage was that of a young man, but his demeanor and actions were much older. Testament to the way the people age, it seems. Dastan dreamed of nothing more at this moment than Dethroning Renkar and taking control of this operation again.

"I have four other Templar with me," his voice almost pleading. "Should be more than enough protection for a short journey." That would leave Renkar, and his small convoy of templar left, with a small unit of sea men at arms, and few knights.
Spectre
Spectre
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:15 pm

Annikhol smiled at Naomi. "Ah, the home of the Cathedral is a wonderous place. I hope that, someday, it's tranquility spreads throughout my home country." Annikhol meant it, in a way. True, her business was thriving much more during times of war. But the cost of losses was much higher as well. Sometimes, people did kill the messenger - that sent quite a strong message. Annikhol had had enough violence in her life. She'd secured her station; now it was time to live happily ever after, right?

"Isn't that why the south is rebelling in the first place? Don't they want the resources of the north?" Naomi questioned.

"It's not quite as simple as that..." Annikhol wasn't sure how much to admit. In fact, she knew more than the High Priestess of Vallar did.

"Vallar granted the northern lands a great boon, and Ordis scarred the lands of the south. The people have long since mixed - indeed, those who follow Vallar struggle on failing crops, and Ordis creeps his way into the Cathedral..." Annikhol shook her head. "The southerners just want to survive, but even miracles aren't enough to save a dying land. Perhaps Ordis just needs forgiveness, and then his scars will be healed."

"Is that what you believe? Do you follow this...Ordis?" Nilus asked.

Annikhol met Nilus' gaze. "I thought I did. I guess I am not so sure anymore." She tore her gaze away and cleared her throat.

"Have you seen rolling hills overlooking a sapphire sea? That is where the Cathedral sits. The harbor is a wonderous sight."

"Good." Said Alys, giving a short, curt nod.

"There is one small issue," she said a moment later, her voice trailing out from her mouth like a snake from its hole. "You must convince Renkar that you are the man for the job. I hope you manage. If you do, I'll see you again at the meeting place he arranged. If not..."

Alys walked forward and grabbed Dastan's coat, yanking his face down toward hers. "If not, I do hope I don't see you again. I can be...most unpleasant."

Alys turned away, not waiting for his response. Either he'd manage, or he wouldn't. But nothing aids determination more than fear.

Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2