FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Journalism Questions

3 posters

Go down

Journalism Questions Empty Journalism Questions

Post by JashimChando Thu May 13, 2010 4:12 am

What are some alternative majors you can take for journalism if the school you want to apply for doesn't have a specific journalism school or doesn't offer as a major?

For example, i'm thinking of Washington University in St. Louis but they dont have a journalism program. What can I take instead of journalism but still be on a track of going to a journalism graduate school?

Last edited by Weiss on Fri May 14, 2010 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Topic title edited to reflect merging of three separate topics into a single thread.)

JashimChando
Mist
Mist

Back to top Go down

Journalism Questions Empty How did yellow journalism affect the US at the turn of the 20th century?

Post by JashimChando Thu May 13, 2010 4:12 am

Can you please tell me how yellow journalism affected the United States at the turn of the 20th century? Does yellow journalism still exist? And if possible please give examples. Please don't give me smart remarks like do your own homework because this is a part of doing my own homework. Thanks.

JashimChando
Mist
Mist

Back to top Go down

Journalism Questions Empty What are the highest paying professions in journalism?

Post by JashimChando Thu May 13, 2010 4:13 am

I absolutely LOVE journalism and writing in general, but i realize how little they get paid. I am really smart (#1 in my soph. high school class of 300) and want something more than just the average 20,000 a year u get in a journalism career. does anyone know of something that deals with writing or journalism that gets paid more?

JashimChando
Mist
Mist

Back to top Go down

Journalism Questions Empty Re: Journalism Questions

Post by Bird of Hermes Thu May 13, 2010 10:57 am

Yellow journalism's origins can be traced to Pulitzer and Hearst during the Gilded Age of American politics. The name comes from The Yellow Kid. It also has close ties to sensationalism.

If you check those links, you will find some incidents in which yellow journalism affected the United States.
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Thu May 13, 2010 11:05 am

This might help if you are looking to pursue journalism. Here you can even look at jobs.

Unfortunately, English degrees don't get you high-paying jobs in general. Perhaps, you could pursue editing.
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Thu May 13, 2010 11:13 am

A major in English or writing would be good majors to choose. This list may help you if you are looking for a college that does have a major in journalism.

Your last question is going to depend on your school's requirements for graduate school in journalism.
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Weiss Fri May 14, 2010 5:10 pm

Three topics concerning Journalism have been merged into this single topic to address the broader subject of Journalism in general. At the moment, I am assuming the topics were created for no greater reason than to allow the OP to advertise off-site products in his posts, but I will give the benefit of the doubt and assume that these subjects are being sincerely addressed, since Hermes has taken the time to provide answers.
Weiss
Weiss
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down