FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Escapist - an experimental fan fiction by Ominous Flare

Go down

Escapist - an experimental fan fiction by Ominous Flare Empty Escapist - an experimental fan fiction by Ominous Flare

Post by Ominous Flare Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:18 am

So... I am bored. And, I thought of a story idea that has been revolving round my life ever since I first learned of crossover stories (I think it was those Disney cartoons). I don't know how far this will go. Heck, I am sure that by 5th April 2010, when I have to return to college again, I wouldn't have any time left for this or anything fun. Hence, it's labeled an 'experimental' fan fiction.

Also, I suck at descriptions. I always need a thesaurus for that (and not one in book form, but in web-page form). One of the major factors that pull me down constantly, halting me from completing my fan fictions is the stress of using 'flowery', fancy terms to describe the setting.

A veteran writer once told me that descriptions in a story is very important as they help the reader to get a proper perspective of what the story would look like if it was in live action form. Hence, I will try and include as many descriptions as necessary, but don't expect any Shakespearean work here. tongue

Oh, and the final reason why I labeled this as an experimental story is because, in this post, I will not begin the story, yet. Rather, to develop the main character fully, following the advice from Pascha Belmont Books, I shall list a number of details associated with the main character's personality and perspectives.

Boy, this will take days to type out. Ah well.

Characters full name: Wee Boon Tang
Sex: Male
City/town/region: Singapore/Tanglin Halt Road/Christian
Single/dating/married: Single
Education: Secondary school graduate, currently a college student

Political view: He don't give a damn about Politics, though he believes in the possibility of using it to make the world a better place.

Economic background: His estimated amount of $5 per day allowance from his parents had gained a spectacular increase in amount to a $10 per school day and $6 per non-school day allowance.

Values: Despite being somewhat selfish when he feels hurt and alone, Wee Boon do possess a strong sense of justice within him, albeit a somewhat naive one.

Attitudes: He's incredibly bad-tempered, oftenly affected by criticisms of even the minimum amount. He doesn't care who gets hurt when he gets angry, and is often reduced to an immature and self-destructive state when angered. So... don't make him angry. You won't like it. No, really.

Also, whenever he gets hurt and emotional, he would keep his problems to himself unless someone questions him about them. Hence, loneliness is built into him from such an attitude, making him an incredibly strong loner that would take lots of shit thrown at him. In metaphorical terms, of course...

Prejudices: Very strong sense of prejudice. He would follow the views of the popular crowd, especially in his younger years. In recent days, this has improved (albeit not much) as he focuses his mind on seeing both sides of the coin before passing a judgement.

Passions: His passion lies in learning about humanity and the deeper sides of life, particularly through the means of writing stories and watching profound movies.

Emotional Stability: (see "Attitude")

On an added note, he might be suffering from severe depression and minor insanity. Though one condition is proven to exist: cognitive distortion

Introvert/Extrovert: Definitely an introvert.
Hair colour: Black
Eye colour: Black...

Glasses?: He requires them, but his latest pair is broken, and he's waiting for an opportunity to fix them using his allowance.

Weight: Unknown, though, from the appearance of his physique, he shouldn't weigh much.
Height: Approximately 175cm

Build: Slim, with the exception of his... thighs
Unusual physical characteristics: He has chubby thighs

Mannerisms: He loves to wise-crack and socialize with his friends, oftenly enjoying slacking more than working.

How does your character feel about their looks?
Due to reasons in regards to his insecurities, he feels that he's not the most handsome dude in the world But, he does find his looks rather decent... for an Asian.

How does this affect their personality and actions?
Due to having that sufficient amount of confidence in regards to his looks, he tends to have an interest in keeping his hair short to make himself look... 'cool'. He even enjoyed wearing shades and goggles for this very same reason. But, no matter how he feels about his looks, he would never starve himself or fatten himself to an exceeding level due to others' judgement about his looks (though there are barely any), as he simply "don't give a damn."

Goals to achieve during the story: To seek a virtual place where he can have fabricated friends who act towards him just the way he wishes for his friends to act, and thus by doing so, not to feel that sense of loneliness anymore.

Where was the character born?: Singapore

Best friend: None
Confidant: A classmate named Chester Tan, he suppose
Lover?: None

Antagonist: This is not really a story about defeating 'bad guys', but, I suppose the antagonists are the bad guys in the TV shows he will travel into, and probably some smug friend of his who acts like he cares about the main character.

Have any significant people in the character's life died?: None
How did your character react?: See previous question
Who was the most significant person in their childhood?: An ex-bestfriend named Caleb Chan
Does your character fall in love often?: Got in a crush, yes. Falling in true love, not so much.

How have past relationships influenced his life?: He's convinced by the desolation of his bestfriends and the rejection of his crushes that he's destined to be a loner. And that most friends of his are hypocrites.

Children?: You've gotta be kidding me.

Siblings/family members in the story

Name: Kow Chye Tang
Relation: Father

Name: Beng Choo Koh
Relation: Mother

Friends/co workers in the story:

Name: Chester Tan
Relationship: Classmate

Name: Caleb Chan
Relationship: Ex-bestfriend

Name: Samuel Chow

Name: Fared Leong

Hobbies/interests:
Anime series with good stories, videography, film-art, the moviepocalypse, (a moderate amount of) philosophy, action and horror movies, Pixar and Disney, PbP RPGs, video games (specifically the Halo series), (occasionally) writing, pop music, soundtracks, (occasionally) classical music

Does he exercise?: Not unless he's in PE class
How?: See previous question

Favourite foods/drinks: French fries, chicken rice, anything with chicken, anything salty, potato wedges, milk chocolate/Cola, milk, Milo

Musical Tastes: Pop, soundtrack, classical

Special talents/skills: He writes quite well, has quite a significant vocabulary, able to speak a little more fluently than his classmates, dares to perform acting when the situation requires, has decent acting skills, able to tell whether a story is decent and/or includes good characters, and good at hunting for freewares.

Strengths: Somewhat profound, has a sense of justice, writes well, has decent acting skills, and is moderately intelligent.

Flaws: Insecure, has low self-esteem, bad-tempered, selfish when angered or hurt, foul-mouthed, stutters, bad at writing descriptions, poor memory, physically weak, lazy, leaves things unfinished, doesn't talk to others unless talked to first, has a big ego, oftenly doesn't agree with opinions that do not agree with his, tends to break things when angered, quite greedy, fuzzy, picky when it comes to food, and has a poor sense of hygiene

Main traits: See "Strengths" and "Flaws"

Achievements: Has gotten second place for 'Best in Chinese' merit award in Primary School, received an award for being one of the heaviest babies around

Defeats: Way too many, including lost in fights, losing his bestfriends, and being held back by two years in Secondary Three

When does your character feel most vulnerable?: When he feels lonely

Did your character have a major childhood trauma?: Not really. Most of the trauma today was built up, not of an immediate effect.

What occurrences from their past will affect the plot?: The loss and betrayal of his ex-bestfriends, probably.
What kind of first impression does he make?: That he is shy.
How does your character react to change?: He loves changes. In fact, he changes stuff too much.
How would your character describe himself in one sentence?: Ill-tempered philosopher.
How would he be described by enemies?: "Very bad-tempered and vulgar!"
What is your character's BASIC temperament (calm, aggressive, adventurous, carefree)?: Carefree

Worst fears: Being lonely for the rest of his life, cockroaches, any creepy crawlies, dying, dying horribly, the army camp compulsory for all Singapore males

Secrets from the past: He stole his parents bank account money once

And there is it. The character traits fully laid out. According to Pascha, the next step is developing the plot... But that will have to wait for another time. Razz
Ominous Flare
Ominous Flare
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Escapist - an experimental fan fiction by Ominous Flare Empty Synopsis

Post by Ominous Flare Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:42 am

Okay, so the next step is to develop a synopsis. I am just typing random sh*t out to experiment with the plot, so don't mind any possibly bad writing.

"A lonely teenager escapes to a virtual world of fictional characters, away from reality, where there are no consequences because the 'good guys' always win, and friends and family will always be there for you no matter how indecent you have become. While doing so, the teenager has to decide whether to stay in this world and escape from any responsibility of a supposed 'normal' life, or return to the only place where everything is as true as it is, the harsh and cruel real world."

And so, that's the synopsis. Kinda lame of a story, probably, but if you would just free your mind of the typical poetic writer kind of perspective and just think out of the box for one second, you could probably appreciate the story for what it is. It's an escapist kind of story, a story where escaping to a virtual world doesn't have cliche consequences, and the main character finally has a choice instead of being forced back to the real world because 'the virtual world is more dangerous than the real world' or some lame crap like that.

Moreover, this story would also involve pop-culture fictional characters, and I think it would be quite interesting to see how the main character would interact with them, and how those fictitious characters would develop in this turn of events.

But, as noted, the descriptions wouldn't be very detailed, so the suitable readers for this story are those who share as much of an interest as I do in regards to this kind of story, and those who don't mind stories with little to no 'flowery'/fancy descriptive terms and such.

Next is the Chapter Synopsis as I draft out what each Chapter should be like.
Ominous Flare
Ominous Flare
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down