FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So...Here's the Deal...

4 posters

Go down

So...Here's the Deal... Empty So...Here's the Deal...

Post by Gunneh Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:04 am

Forgive the lack of a fancy AP-esque writing that you'd usually see from the News Blog, but I've got something on my mind. First, do something for me: Imagine yourself driving down the interstate with the scenery passing you by at about seventy miles per hour. Sure, you've got your CD player, but that's not your only option, is it? Sometimes you might want to click off the CD and listen to your favorite radio station. Hell, maybe that's what you do in the first place, like me.

Now, I know that there's not shortage of radio stations that offer political discussions, the ramblings of Rush Limbaugh and your usual sports stories, but the main area of that particular side of broadcasting is MUSIC! But here's the funny thing: Record companies are realizing that they've screwed themselves over and have finally noticed that CD's aren't selling like they used to.

Does that mean they're going to update their approach and go digital? Not one bit. Does that mean they're going to revolutionize the field with some other way to convey their artists? That would be too easy, wouldn't it? So what's their proposed method of fixing their flaw, you might be asking?

THEY WANT TO START TAXING RADIO STATIONS FOR THE SONGS THEY PLAY!

Here's the deal, AL fans: Most smaller stations couldn't handle that type of tax and they'd either be forced to shut down entirely or switch to talk/sports radio, leaving the general public without a means of passing their time and leaving their artists without a free medium in which to promote themselves. This is wrong on so many levels that it make me want to puke, personally, and I'm sure that I'm not the only one.

"But Gunneh," you might be saying, "this is just another one of those bailout things that the government has been doing." That might be true on one certain level, but let me ask you something else: Did those bailouts work in most cases? No. Will this bailout work? Unless you call taking away the jobs of thousands of men and women throughout the US a plan that works, no. Besides, the majority of these record labels are located in FOREIGN COUNTRIES!! Does that seem like it would help America in any way?

I hope you're starting to get the picture.

Perhaps I'm a bit biased seeing as how I'm the son of a disc jockey and a CEO of ALS and co-host of FOG FM, but I'm really just tossing this out there as food for thought. I'll post a link at the bottom of the entry where you can voice your distaste for the Performance Tax if you so choose.

And remember, guys: ALS and FOG FM aren't under this tax right now, but you never know how far these assholes at the record labels will go.

- Gunneh

http://www.noperformancetax.org/
Gunneh
Gunneh
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

So...Here's the Deal... Empty Re: So...Here's the Deal...

Post by Acid Varrakin Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:58 am

Record companies are actually the most evil things in the world. I have never seen, and probably will never see, a major record company with a positive write-up. They began by exploiting poor Delta Bluesmen, then went on to promote superstars like Elvis and shit on everyone else. More recently, they've taken to catapulting useless people - boy/girlbands, Paris Hilton - into fame and leaving many people with actual musical merit to suffer.

And now this? I am truly lost for words - apart from ones like "swine" and "assholes".
Acid Varrakin
Acid Varrakin
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:16 pm

We'll I've never paid much attention to this; but I'm sold. I'll begin advocation of the No Performance Tax coalition on AL. In my personal opinion, I don't think congress will ever pass this piece of legislation because of the outcry from Americans that began voicing out against even before the proposal by the lobbyists.

Every station I listen to takes (on average) one hour a day to play a bit about the Performance Tax Act, urging their listeners to stand against it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:21 pm

That's just absolutely ludicrous.

I will have to check out that site later when I am not doing homework and see what this craziness is all about.
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by The Melancholy Spirit Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:58 pm

Well, if anyone didn't know record companies were pieces of shit in the first place that is kind of sad. Anymore though true artists are just raped... because unless they spend a life on tour they're never going to make a decent living with music... and I mean actual musicians, not the nonsense that is in the mainstream.

Personally, I never listen to the radio because well... they don't play anything that I like aside from some older stuff. But even then they always play the same bands, and the same songs, so it is pointless.

Still, this is bullshit. But go figure.

I'd also like to add that numerous record companies actually have business in America and overseas. Many have a North American branch and a European branch, for instance.

EDIT: Personally, I’m a nostalgic person myself and would hate to see the music industry go digital. I prefer actually owning CDs… hell, if Vinyl was still made like it used to be I’d even be on board with John (From Agalloch) with preferring everything be on Vinyl.

Unfortunately, it is really the digital world that is fucking over the music industry just as much as the record companies. The only way these people make money anymore, to continue making music, is if they have enough of a fan base to go to their shows and maybe buy some merchandise there. And even then, as I said, they’re on the road almost all the time.

Sure, a lot of people gave Metallica crap for getting pissed off at Napster (was it?) but you know what, even though by that time they had made it big I don't really blame them. Certain bands don't care about downloads because it gets them some more recognition, and because they never see anything from record companies anyway. Other bands hate it, because they actually have a semi-decent deal and do see money for their record sales. The only reason Antti Kokko (Kalmah) doesn't care about it so much is because the band is a side-project for him; he actually works as a programmer.
The Melancholy Spirit
The Melancholy Spirit
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down