FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clash of the....God of War?

2 posters

Go down

Clash of the....God of War? Empty Clash of the....God of War?

Post by Squall Reyes Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:12 pm

Ok I know I can't be the only person to see the similarities. In fact they are so apparent a video was made of it.

Now as a fan of BOTH the original Clash of the Titans and God of War, this pisses me off for 2 reasons. Maybe more. Number one is the simple fact that the original movie was a interpretation of the classic story of Perseus, who with the help of his God father Zeus defeats Medusa and saves the princess from the sea creature the Kraken. It is a tale of Perseus using brains over brawn and becoming the rightful king of the Greeks. Or at least one of it's city states. This story from what I could find is this. And I quote.

"In this film, the ultimate struggle for power pits men against kings and kings against gods. But the war between the gods themselves could destroy the world. Born of a god but raised as a man, Perseus (Worthington) is helpless to save his family from Hades (Fiennes), vengeful god of the underworld.[4] With nothing left to lose, Perseus volunteers to lead a dangerous mission to defeat Hades before he can seize power from Zeus (Neeson) and unleash hell on Earth. Leading a daring band of warriors, Perseus sets off on a perilous journey deep into forbidden worlds. Battling unholy demons and fearsome beasts, he will only survive if he can accept his power as a god, defy his fate and create his own destiny."

Now this sounds familiar doesn't it? It sounds like oh I don't know the entire fucking story of God of War. Fuck Sake You simply change out Hades with Ares and you have the entire story of the first game down to a T. Which brings me to the second reason this pisses me off. The God of War movie itself is already in the works with the search of the actor underway and a release date set for summer of 2012. (Avengers and God of War in 2012, my geeky mind is exploding.) But of course, it may lose some of its pop because as we all know humans as a whole are a stupid creature who may think that the God of War series is leaching off of the Clash of the Titans remake when it is the other way around.

I was hoping to get a imaginative retelling of a classic tale of brains over brawn. Not a total butchering of a tale that has lasted for almost 3000 fucking years; to be replaced with a story that another group of hard working men and women came up with. I want Perseus to look Perseus, I do not want to mistake him for this -->Clash of the....God of War? Normal_God%20of%20war%20-%20Kratos
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Clash of the....God of War? Empty Re: Clash of the....God of War?

Post by Adrius Frostglare Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:58 pm

Hollywood seems to be morphing again. Methinks the "Year of Vampires" is coming to an end. Now, it's going to become "The Age of Mythology". I mean, on top of the unoriginal remake of Clash of the Titans (honestly, everything either has "based on" or "remake" as its tag line... what happened to original film work? At least Avatar is a shining jewel of originality, at least) there is also this... "Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief" movie coming out... mind you, Percy Jackson is the son of Poseidon (Poseidon Jackson. I laughed damn hard.), which honestly doesn't look that great. Special effects whore movie, if you ask me, and nothing more.

Imagination's going to hell and money's becoming god. That's the trend for movies nowadays.

EDIT: Good Lord, someone make a demotivator with the tag line "Poseidon Jackson". I will PAY.

EDIT EDIT: Oh, also, "Hades is trying to conquer Olympus and only the demi-god son of Zeus (and pals) can stop him."

...Disney's Hercules, anyone?

EDIT EDIT EDIT: For correction, Hades -wasn't- the bad boy of the Greek gods. Hell, Hades was perfectly at ease with ruling the Underworld. The real sour apple was Poseidon. When Zeus, Hades, and Poseidon drew lots to see who would rule what domain, Zeus got Olympus (and the surface world, so to speak), Hades got the Underworld and rule over the dead, and Poseidon got the oceans and the dark depths. Whereas Zeus fathered thousands of children (you could probably throw a pebble into a crowd in Thebes and hit a son of Zeus), Poseidon's children were always monsters, such as the cyclops from the Odyssey (can't remember the name). Hades did some nasty stuff (then again, none of the gods were really saints, what with the petty jealousy, the murderous rages, the brutal hatred... I could go on) but it is Poseidon who takes the cake if there really was an "evil" god in Greek mythology.

So, why Hades? Why pick on the poor god of the Underworld? Well, death has always been viewed with fear and hatred by humanity, so it's only natural that the overlord of death be feared and hated. The ocean, on the other hand, is full of life and savage beauty and nourishment. Who could hate its master? So, it is with this that the God of the Underworld became the despicable figure in pop culture.

For once, I wish people would stop picking on my favorite Greek god >_<
Adrius Frostglare
Adrius Frostglare
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

http://adriusfrostglare.deviantart.com/  (Deviant Art profile)

Back to top Go down