[ 2 ]
29% 29% 
[ 5 ]
5% 5% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 17

2009 Game of the Year

Post by Squall Reyes on Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:10 pm

With the year coming to the end, it's time for gamers to look back at a pretty good year. What in your mind is the game of the year? Make your vote and say your piece. What in your mind made this game stand out from the rest. If I missed a game you think should be on the list let me know and I will adjust it.

For me the game of the year was without a doubt is Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. The game is quite simply the closest to perfection a game will get. Let's start with the basics. Graphics are jaw dropping, the characters are so realistic you could mistake it for a movie. The game play and action are better than almost ANYTHING Hollywood has thrown at us today. And while we're on the subject of Hollywood, the writing is better than most adventure movies in the last 10 years. The voice acting and scene all rival anything in Hollywood and television in terms of making the characters likable and banter being witty, realistic and all around entertaining. This was done by motion capture, not only that but every action of the characters was done with motion capture, the acting were recorded on the spot including the audio. Which means like in the movies many of the characters lines where ad lib. No 2 characters in the game jump the same, run the same. An example of the slight touches they put to the game is the fact that when Drake throws a propane take it was the real voice actor doing real grunt because he threw a REAL propane tank during motion capture. Uncharted 2 has without a doubt shown the movie industry how it's done. And when people are done having little 13 year olds yelling at them over MW2 microphones, this is the game I'm coming back to because it is the best video game experience anyone can have today's current gen consoles. I'll put it like this, games/movies of the year are picked by how much they make then MW is Transformers 2. Uncharted 2 is District 9, revolutionary.

Last edited by Squall Reyes on Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Re: 2009 Game of the Year

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:15 pm

I have to say Killzone 2 was very impressive. An all around good game and I found it had a pretty good storyline for a shooter.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:18 pm

Out of all of the games you listed, I've only played Resident Evil 5 and Halo 3: ODST. I was severely disappointed in Resident Evil 5. It was fun for a bit, but just full of disappointment. Halo 3: ODST, on the other hand, was just the opposite for me. It could have been better, sure, but I can't say I was overly disappointed with any aspect of it with one exception: the absence of the battle rifle.

I would love to play Borderlands, Bioshock 2, and Assassin's Creed 2 at some point, but who knows when that will happen. Oh, and Uncharted sounds worthwhile as well, though I've never seen anything on it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugg Superstar on Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:32 pm

I haven't tried most of those games, but L4D2 exceeded my expectations. The revamped director makes the entire game much more fun, melee weapons adds a whole new dimension to tactics and the new game modes are a blast. Single player is still the weakest link though, all the AIs are good for is giving you pain pills.

It's still not the best game of the year though. Dragon Age was the most fun I've had from any fantasy game since Oblivion, and my favorite of 2009. Batman Arkham Asylum was also a blast.

Bugg Superstar
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki on Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:23 pm

Silvone Elestahr wrote:I would love to play Borderlands, Bioshock 2, and Assassin's Creed 2 at some point, but who knows when that will happen. Oh, and Uncharted sounds worthwhile as well, though I've never seen anything on it.

I am eagerly awaiting BioShock 2. The first is hands-down my absolute favorite first person shooter. Played it so much that I had unlocked all of the achievements on live within a month of starting it.

I have fallen behind with my gaming and there are a lot of them that I have been wanting to play, but L4D2 did not disappoint. Just by adding a few new features and enemies, the entire game dynamics has changed entirely. Camping in a corner waiting for the rescue vehicle to come is a thing of the past thanks to the spitter and charger. The melee weapons are so much fun, along with the new ranged weapons. I can't wait to go back home and link up with my friends like we did with the first.
Loki
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Stion Gyas on Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:32 pm

Modern Warfare II was okay, but I won't be playing it online, and since I don't have a console (nor do I want to emulate a console on PC), I have to wait until 2010 for ACII. Dragon Age: Origins is my favorite for game of the year.

Somehow it missed the list.
Stion Gyas
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes on Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:15 pm

I know I can't believe I missed it as well seeing as I'm having a great time playing it. I'll keep the votes in my head though for it.
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Melancholy Spirit on Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:42 pm

Even with the mass difficulties people are having with DLC (including myself... and I have the Collector's Edition!) for Dragon Age: Origins... that had my vote for Game of the Year as well.

To be honest, CoD: Modern Warfare II was a huge upset for me. Now, don't get me wrong it is fun and had a really good storyline but the game was ridiculously short. I mean, seriously... the game length was borderline insulting. I can understand why most people don't care because they want the game most for multiplayer/online. I don't have good enough internet for online play though myself which would have made a much longer single player campaign really nice. Plus, the storyline had a lot of room to be played out for a longer period of time… and yet they didn’t. It almost felt like a half-effort or less from them. That is just my outlook on it though.
The Melancholy Spirit
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Stion Gyas on Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:43 pm

The Melancholy Spirit wrote:Even with the mass difficulties people are having with DLC (including myself... and I have the Collector's Edition!) for Dragon Age: Origins... that had my vote for Game of the Year as well.

You had difficulties with DLC? Mine worked fine, despite having... acquired the game and DLC from different... sources.
Stion Gyas
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Melancholy Spirit on Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:53 pm

There have been a lot of people having problems with the DLC for the game so far. The three items that I got with the Collector's Edition work fine, however The Stone Prisoner quest doesn't. Sulcher's Pass shows up fine, and the conversation is all well and good. I also find cyrstals for Shale all over the place. The problem is that the town (Hon-something-or-other) doesn't show up on my map.

Apparently this is one of the rarest problems anyone has had and, from what I've been able to come across, there is yet to be a fix for it. Quite annoying really, but I still love the game.
The Melancholy Spirit
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Stion Gyas on Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:54 pm

The Melancholy Spirit wrote:There have been a lot of people having problems with the DLC for the game so far. The three items that I got with the Collector's Edition work fine, however The Stone Prisoner quest doesn't. Sulcher's Pass shows up fine, and the conversation is all well and good. I also find cyrstals for Shale all over the place. The problem is that the town (Hon-something-or-other) doesn't show up on my map.

Apparently this is one of the rarest problems anyone has had and, from what I've been able to come across, there is yet to be a fix for it. Quite annoying really, but I still love the game.

Ouch. Shale can be a great addition to your party, too. She can take and give a helluva lot, as well being a tank, damager and archer.
Stion Gyas
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Melancholy Spirit on Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:56 pm

Heh, yeah that is what I've heard. I'm just hoping that they do figure out a fix for it eventually. So far the most help that has been found was through someone outside either company. In terms of figuring out ways to get DLC content working for those who it wasn't. 'Tis actually astounding how many different problems there has been with it so far.
The Melancholy Spirit
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes on Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:53 pm

I'm going to have to agree with Spirit. The main reason I do not consider Modern Warfare 2 as a game of the year contender is the poor storyline. I think its the great tragedy of video game history. This medium could be unsurpassed when it comes to delivering a mouth dropping story for the simple fact of how immersive the medium is. We've seen small glimmers of this. (Silent Hill 2 and Uncharted 2 being the first two that comes to mind.) But it could be so much more.
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackrock on Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:35 am

Pity that you didn't include Dragon Age: Origins. That's the best game to have graced my PC this year, hands down. Strong plot, original take on the high fantasy setting, interesting characters, superb voice acting. The only weak point is the combat system, but hey - the other parts more than make it up for me.

Overall, I have to say, that in my opinion, Dragon Age is the best RPG to have come out in a long, long time.
Blackrock
Apparition
Apparition

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:49 am

I challenge that. I say that Fallout 3 and Oblivion beat dragon age hands down. I have played all three extensively.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Melancholy Spirit on Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:35 pm

I didn't feel the battle system was that weak, to be honest. Sure it could use some improvement but I still like it quite a bit.

I also don’t understand the hype with Oblivion and Fallout 3. Yeah, sure they’re both decent games and I have played both a lot but you strip away the fancy, flashy graphics (which, honestly I prefer cleaner graphics) and they are quite mediocre games. There is a vast list of things I was disappointed with in Oblivion and the same goes for Fallout 3. Plus, to be honest, I don’t consider either of those games to be a very good example of an RPG. Sure you play the role of a character and level them up, customizing them as you go, but still… they’re rather weak in the RPG department in my opinion and cater more toward the action/FPS fans.
The Melancholy Spirit
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackrock on Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:49 pm

Well, Oblivion is quite old by now, like 4 years? That's a long time. Anyhow, I've played both that and Fallout 3 and didn't enjoy them as much as I did Dragon Age. Oblivion is inferior to Morrowind in every possible way, apart from graphics and that is not on top of my list of qualities I look for. Fallout 3 was kinda meh for me, no idea why - I just couldn't get into it, so to speak.

Anyway, it's down to the person, all of this is subjective.
Blackrock
Apparition
Apparition

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Melancholy Spirit on Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:26 pm

I agree about Oblivion being inferior to Morrowind aside from graphics, and of course how smoothly it runs. Though, still, there was quite a bit that disappointed me with Morrowind as well. Oblivion felt like a huge step away from the good direction they had taken with Morrowind.

I’ve always been amused with how the Elder Scrolls games were continuously hailed as groundbreaking or so forth when they were doing the same thing, though to a lesser extent, as the Gothic games. Difference being that Gothic was made over in Europe and was really buggy most the time. Well, that and Gothic 3 was ridiculously bad compared to the first two. Hopefully the next Gothic game will be better though.
The Melancholy Spirit
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:12 pm

Blackrock wrote:Well, Oblivion is quite old by now, like 4 years? That's a long time

I still play it regularly. I don't see why people say the elder scrolls in general have flaws. They are almost completely open worlds. Which is Ideal for an RP game.

Back to top Go down

Post by Anemone on Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:43 pm

Alright, as usual (okay, except TWEWY when it was nominated against fallout 3 for best RPG, and it should have won), my choices are... pretty much not on the list.

Best RPG of the year, Knights in the Nightmare, hands, feet, and everything down. Good plot and story, check. Character building, check. Completely unique battle system that takes maximum advantage of the hardware, check. Chibi/anime inspired graphics with gothic flair to boot. I've been playing games for ages, and I've never seen anything remotely close to this game in terms of design, and it pulled it off with excelence to spare. Dragon age... not such a good RPG in my opinion. The plot to it felt very shallow and linear, with no twists to it. Its lore, especially with the dwarves, is pretty much all ripped from different well known sources. The elves were good, I guess, but they never did anything with it really (and I played an elf). If it wasn't for the cast, I'd say it was pretty mediocre. And well, play an elf mage, fire,grease,quake spec with spirit healer and blood mage. The game becomes so impossibly easy that... well... kick open door, kill everyone on other side of door, repeat. Beat it on nightmare using me, Wynne, Zevran, and Alister, with me and Wynne having the same build.

FPS of the year. Uncharted. Easily. Modern Warfare 2... well, its a step backwards in terms of design and controls, as well as a pretty... not great plot.

My all in all GOTY year award does go to KitN though, for doing something nobody else has done, and doing it better than anyone could have believed possible.
Anemone
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyna on Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:19 pm

I had to vote Resident Evil 5 because it's the only one of the above that I played through the entire game. I started Assassin's Creed 2 and it had amazing potential, but I don't own it (was playing at a friend's) so I couldn't vote for it.

The rest, I've heard of but never got around to playing.

Kyna
Mist
Mist

Female

http://shepherdessdog.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The_End on Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:53 pm

Raptorman wrote:
Blackrock wrote:Well, Oblivion is quite old by now, like 4 years? That's a long time

I still play it regularly. I don't see why people say the elder scrolls in general have flaws. They are almost completely open worlds. Which is Ideal for an RP game.

True, and I do enjoy the Elder Scrolls series immensely (always have), but if you stop and examine the game world, you slowly begin to realize that Bethesda's employees are all completely incompetent. The lists upon lists of bugs, glitches and crashes that users found and/or experienced before the game's first patch was released amounted to what could easily be described as a big pile of Liquid Ridiculous. After said patch, there were still quite a few problems that Bethsoft relied on the modder community to fix. Fallout 3 was the exact same scenario. In fact, Fallout 3 was the same game, but with guns. I still enjoyed it; I still enjoyed Oblivion, for that matter. I just think that if you're going to release a product, then you should release a finished product.

Raptorman wrote:I challenge that. I say that Fallout 3 and Oblivion beat dragon age hands down. I have played all three extensively.

MORRIGAN DISAPPROVES. -15

As for the choices in the poll, it pains me that these games are all there is to choose from. While some of them are fun, none of the games on the list are Game of The Year fun. Wasn't Dead Space a 2009 release?

Yeah, I vote Dead Space.
The_End
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes on Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:34 pm

The_End wrote:Wasn't Dead Space a 2009 release?

Yeah, I vote Dead Space.

Um it was released here in the States in October of 2008. Which is why it's not on the list. If you in another country well then yes the release dates are different. Sadly I must ask that we keep to the US release dates for these games. So while you are free to vote Dead Space (I know I would have last year.) it will not counted in the final tally.

Also an update. The leading game right now is Dragon Age. (Yes I forgot to add it to the list. Don't know how I love that bloody game.) But I am keeping track of votes on the thread. All in all a very close race with everyone having very good reasons for all their votes.

Anemone wrote:My all in all GOTY year award does go to KitN though, for doing something nobody else has done, and doing it better than anyone could have believed possible.

KitN. Wow I thought I was the only person to play that. Good choice. Though this is a poll for console/pc games. I can however make an handheld game of the year poll. Very Happy
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackrock on Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:20 am

Raptorman wrote:

I play it from time to time as well. What I meant was, it has been 4 years since it came out - that qualifies as a "long, long time" in my book. Also, I can't think of anything that *doesn't* have flaws, it's just the way it is. They, like the Gothic series, are aimed at a different type of gamer than the BioWare\Black Isle(Obsidian) games. The former focuses on exploration and looser plot, while the latter - on delivering a great story at the expense of freedom (so to speak). Me? I like both types, I know it's not the same for everyone though,
Blackrock
Apparition
Apparition

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Anemone on Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:33 pm

Squall Reyes wrote:
Anemone wrote:My all in all GOTY year award does go to KitN though, for doing something nobody else has done, and doing it better than anyone could have believed possible.

KitN. Wow I thought I was the only person to play that. Good choice. Though this is a poll for console/pc games. I can however make an handheld game of the year poll. Very Happy

was recommended to me by two friends of mine who work at my neighbourhood gamestop. Definately worth the money, still loses to TWEWY, but comes closer than just about everything.
Anemone
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by The_End on Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:00 pm

Since Dead Space was released in '08, I vote The Sims 3.

Even though they screwed me over in terms of item variety.
The_End
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rexar on Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:23 pm

Being an intense Sony fan I will have to be extremely biased with my answer even though I have played a majority of the games stated in the list.

Uncharted 2 will be my answer, not because it already been deemed as GOTY but because of the sheer class it delivers in the world of gaming.

I thoroughly enjoyed the storyline, voice acting and the amazing graphics that it employed and I cannot wait for the next entry in the franchise.
Rexar
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrius Frostglare on Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:25 pm

If possible I would have voted for both Assassin's Creed II as well as InFamous, but I went with infamous because it was the underdog of the two. Besides... I got to rain lightning down on people. Hehehehehe...

I am just a slight bit disappointed that Brutal Legends wasn't considered. It was an amazing game.
Adrius Frostglare
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

http://adriusfrostglare.deviantart.com/  (Deviant Art profile)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Melancholy Spirit on Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:05 am

Brutal Legend? Ah, I hated the very concept of that game personally. It basically took everything that was wrong about all the over-the-top, over dramatic cheese factor of 80's metal and glorified. I don’t know, I just was disgusted with the entire thing from the first moment I started to watch stuff about it.
The Melancholy Spirit
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum