FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unable to see new posts -- Anyone else have this problem?

+2
Sunwolf007
Fate Flyer
6 posters

Go down

Unable to see new posts -- Anyone else have this problem? Empty Unable to see new posts -- Anyone else have this problem?

Post by Fate Flyer Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:15 am

This has been going on since probably the creation of FOG for me, and I am thinking it might be a Safari/Mac thing, but do the icons not turn blue for when their are new posts for anyone else (either for the forums or for the topics or both)? I was just curious. It's something that has made remembering to find topics that I was involved in very difficult.

Axiom and I are still considering moving FOG to our own host, where we would not only have complete and total control, but all these little Forumotion bugs and problems would also disappear.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★

Female

http://trynethetimetraveler.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Unable to see new posts -- Anyone else have this problem? Empty Re: Unable to see new posts -- Anyone else have this problem?

Post by Sunwolf007 Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:53 am

It works for me. Although sometimes they randomly disappear. Like I will be checking topics and I know I haven't seen them all and then all the topics will be marked as read. That probably doesn't help with your question though. Laughing
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Location : Greater Grand Rapids area, US of A ( last time I checked)

Back to top Go down

Unable to see new posts -- Anyone else have this problem? Empty Re: Unable to see new posts -- Anyone else have this problem?

Post by Shades Of Gray Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:57 pm

I can see them, and I'm using a Dell. However, like Sunwolf stated above, occationally the page would seem to 'refresh' itself so that all the blue icons disapear. I'm not certain if it's a setting hidden away somewhere, (where maybe after so many unread posts accure, it starts over?) Or if it's automatically cleared at a certain point in the day. That must be frustrating, Fate! Maybe we can try a good ol, menacing fist shake, and it'll whip it back into shape. Smile
Shades Of Gray
Shades Of Gray
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:39 pm

It happens to Ryona and I all the time, but that is because we are constantly logging each other off. I know that it happens if you log and and log back on. It seems to reset everything as "read." I've never seen it happen otherwise, though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:48 pm

Fate Foretold wrote:
Axiom and I are still considering moving FOG to our own host, where we would not only have complete and total control, but all these little Forumotion bugs and problems would also disappear.

This seems like an awesome idea, but after reading what your schedule is like this quarter I definitely wouldn't recommend doing it now. We can all deal with Foumotion bugs ***stops for a second, squashing a forumotion bug as it crawls across the board*** for a little longer. Wink
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:04 pm

Sounds like this is an issue that kind of comes and goes with you guys too. Once in awhile, I'll be lucky enough to be able to see the new posts (like just now, for instance -- yay! XD). Almost all the time though, the entire board looks like there isn't anything new for me to read lol.

I really do apologize that some of you are having this happen to you too, even if it is just some of the time. I get to experience it a lot, so I know it's annoying, so again, I really am sorry.

When/if we do get our own host for FOG, Axiom would be doing 99% of the work (since I really don't understand what all that entails and how to go about doing it -- which is why, thank goodness, I have my fiancé haha). Still, his schedule is much like mine: busy. He works full time in addition to being a student, so it's going to be interesting figuring out when would be the best time for this.

However! Let me make it clear that FOG will not be going down periodically or anything if/when we do move to our own hosting site. Axiom would have the entire thing set up and ready before we even think about moving. FOG would have to go down obviously for the move itself, but it won't need to be down for the process of recreating FOG over at our host. So, I don't want to cause any worry or panic about that. If FOG does go down periodically, you have Forumotion to thank for that. Mad
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:54 am

In all honesty, this only happens to me if the threads haven't had a new post in at least half a day. Otherwise, it remains blue until I read it or until I see the forum in which it's sitting.

One problem I have been having lately is either getting email notifications days late or not at all. It's only been happening for the last few days, but it's super annoying. ._.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:43 am

I guess I don't really have that many problems with this bug. I'm involved mostly in threads either I've created myself or stuff that interests me. I've noticed it a small amount but not enough to really make me get frustrated about. I guess another reason for this is because I'm not to involved in other threads around the community cause of all the crap I'm working on personally. My RP projects, art projects, and artwork resume is enough to keep me busy. I don't really worry about little things such as this bug (it's little to me anyways).

I do now how frustrating things like this can be. Hopefully the problem is fixed once the solution is found but I'm sure the powers at be have a lot of their plate anyways. Things usually work out in the end. I'm use to having that kind of patience with services like this one.

All in good time Fate, all in good time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:55 am

That sounds like it probably has something to do with all the other little issues Forumotion boards have been experiencing, Kathryn. Sorry that that's happening though. For awhile there, PMs were even down, which was also rather irksome.

I'm glad it hasn't really affected you much, Tkwiget.

Usually things do get worked out in the end, thankfully. The purpose of having our own host though would not only eliminate our dependancy on Forumotion and thus directly affect us if they have problems, but it would also allow us the freedom do have complete control, meaning we would be able to do a whole lot more and could better accommodate people and their suggestions for the forum. We would essentially be able to create and do anything, which also means we would be able to have different themes/skins for you guys to choose from (something that we have been wanting to do for awhile).
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:48 pm

Well if I knew how to do that sort of thing I certainly would offer it but even if I did it sounds like a lot of work and a lot of money.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:24 pm

Hey I'm game with whatever decision you guys make. Administrators are like US Presidents, I will support them no matter what (cause I'm a suck-up and brown-noser.... nawwwwh jk.... well maybe sorta xD ).

In the long run I think switching from Forumotion will be the better choice. We've seen unwanted ad consperacies rear their ugly heads, failure to recognize that IBM sucks ass, complete idiocy in general, and an admin of an English help board that (as his name suggests) OBVIOUSLY CAN'T SPEAK THE DAMN LANGUAGE!

At first I can only imagine that things might seem a little...awkward. How one would transfer important threads (like current roleplays, or hot discussion threads in the OOC forums), I don't know, but a solution will come, as Tkwiget said, in good time.

Typlo's current avatar: Unable to see new posts -- Anyone else have this problem? 6001-81

You must admire the stunning professionalism. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:24 pm

Why be professional when you can be adorable? XD

I think my email notifications have stopped being stupid. I'm getting most of them on time now. ^^_^^

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Thu May 13, 2010 1:15 pm

I just recently noticed this. If I keep the new posts page open for awhile, it does a 'reset'.
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down