FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book suggestions.

+7
Renzo
The Melancholy Spirit
Silvan Arrow
Kalon Ordona II
Chimerical
Gadreille
Sighlent
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Book suggestions. - Page 2 Empty Re: Book suggestions.

Post by Gadreille Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:58 pm

I didn't finish Pride and Prejudice and zombies, but I think its just because I wasn't in the reading mood. If you liked the movie I'm sure you will love the book!

I've read a few historical fiction novels, but my favorites so far are by Diana Gabaldon. I'm trying to find something comparable to her works. She put a lot of research into them.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Eris Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:24 am

Tess of the D'Ubervilles by Thomas Hardy if you can stomach some hard scenes and facts. Smile Set in an industrializing England. It's a great read for study of era double standards.
Eris
Eris
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:38 am

If you want alternate history and fantasy all rolled into one, you MUST read the Darkness series by Harry Turtledove. It's six books long, and the guy is a master at telling a whole bunch of different characters at once.
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:20 pm

I will check out both of these, Eris and Kalon. thank you!
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Shekinah Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:50 am

BIG suggestion: The Passage by Justin Cronin. Especially if you like Stephen King. But also if you don't like him Razz

It's a pretty often told story already, but that doesn't change anything about the fact that the book is brilliantly written and absolutely makes you not want to put it away.

Ok, so, what's it about then? It's about a virus that's been discovered in dark Africa and the army getting its hands on it. They want to create a so-called 'supersoldier' with this virus (which, honestly, I can see them wanting to do in real life too), because what's better than having a soldier that just goes on and on and who is pretty much unstoppable? But, of course, the virus is uncontrolable and they discover, by making use of 12 test persons whom they got from death row in prison, that the virus will 'evolve' in each person differently, thus creating 12 complete 'new' persons. Then there's this little 6 year old girl. The army wants her, wants to test their virus on her, because she's special. Well, they get her, they give her the virus and she reacts totally different. Of course, everything goes wrong and the 12 test persons are able to break free, soon depleting mankind to almost none. There you have it: a post-apocalyptic word almost entirely flocked with 'vampires' and some survivors. Cronin makes a time jump to 100 years into the future and we meet the First Colony of survivors and we're introduced to how they're able to stay alive and how they protect themselves. Then, while on a mission that goes horribly wrong, our new main character Peter discovers a little girl in an abandoned mall. What's the deal with her? Where did she come from? How did she manage to survive all alone for all this time?

Well, those are questions we partly get answers to, as The Passage is the first part of a planned trilogy. It ends with a huge cliffhanger, leaving me behind with only wanting more and especially wanting answers to the new risen questions.

It's good because Cronin creates a very believable world, with very different characters that are credible, both strong and weak with each their very own characteristics. He creates humans rather than just 'persons in a book', with feelings and thoughts and faults. It's as much as a vampire book, as well as a post-apocalyptic book as a book that focusses on character development. I found maybe two or three flaws in the sense of reading scenes that in my opinion weren't necessary and could have been left behind, but I guess that's a matter of opinion.

Cronin creates secrets that you want to know more of, builds up the tension in a very good way and he never gives away too much at a time.

READ IT!
Shekinah
Shekinah
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:55 am

*Cracks knuckles*
L.E. Modesitt for Science Fiction and Fantasy. He revolves his stuff around the exploration of ethics. Magic of Recluse is a good starting point for fantasy. I like Gravity Dreams or Adiamante as an introduction to his Sci Fi style. He usually has a some romance so you are good there. He likes writing trilogies and independent books so you have good odds of picking something up and being able to read it without issues.

R.A. Salvatore for fiction- If you haven't heard of Drizzt Do'Urden, I might have to hunt you down and slap you, but his independent stuff is better than the Forgotten Realms stuff in my opinion. Start with Icewind Dale or the Highwayman.

David Weber for Military Sci Fi. The main character is a Honor Harrington (woman) and is themed around honor (big surprise) and politics. This is would be where I start, but his other stuff is good too.

John Ringo writes more Military and Sci Fi fiction- It's more hardcore than David Weber. Pick up a starting book. The Series that starts with Ghost has quite a bit of gore and sex, so avoid that if you do not like it.

Cromwell is best for gritty historical fiction that I have read in a while, but he focuses mostly on Dark and Middle Ages England.

David Drake has interesting Military fiction, specifically the Leary series which is a parody of the naval hero Horatio Hornblower. Loosely based on actual historical naval situations.

The series 1642. Multiple Authors, and it's based on the fact that a West Virginia town gets teleported back in time to 1642, (around Thuringia if you are a history buff).

Michael Z. Williamson has some good speculative sci fi fiction. This can be interpreted as heavily political and has a large amount of sex as well.

Steven Erickson is one of the best authors I have ever read. The Malazan book of the Fallen series laughs at Tolkien's simplicity, and is an epic work of fantasy fiction. His friend from college is finally is also writing the 'precursor' half and is a wonderful representation of what we as RP writers would love to accomplish.

Terry Prachet should also need no introduction, (the slapping hand is waiting). Start at Going Postal, because it is hands down the funniest book I have ever read.

Robert Ludlum, the originator of the Bourne trilogy. Note: Completely different from the movies. If you haven't heard of Jason Bourne, I feel sorry for your inability to get out from under that rock for the last decade.

Avoid Michael Chricton. He and Steven King have made it on to a very, very short list where the movie is better than the written work. I forgive Steven King for the movie, The Shawshank Redemption. If you haven't seen it, watch or feel my wrath from the shadows one day. All I need to say is that it has Morgan Freeman.

Warhammer 40K has one hilarious series about Ciaphas Cain. The author is Sandy Mitchell I believe.

I have a few hundred more authors that I have read and remember but this should be a good 100,000 pages of reading to start. I can recommend Sci Fi and fantasy better than other genres, so if you want a more specified set of desires I will be able to match you to an author or novel better. I will disappear under my stacks of books for now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2